October 31, 2014 | 777 users online

Brows - Shu Uemura - Brow Pencil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2007 3:31:00 PM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I ordered this sight unseen and it's a great match for my dark brown brows. After using Smashbox Brow Tech powder for the past few years, I was wary of trying a pencil because I was afraid it would be too heavy, but this gives the perfect amount of color. I will say that it does live up to its name - the pencil is very hard and a bit uncomfortable when applying - but the effect is so natural I'm willing to ignore it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2007 12:18:00 PM More reviews by LPomona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

New HG. This is the Hard Formula pencil in Seal Brown #02. Yes, I'd buy it again, but I can't imagine the need will present itself, as the pencil is hard as rock. I have silver/platinum hair, and Seal Brown is perfection. I'm guessing this particular color is like Kevyn Aucoin's brow pencil in that the shade *somehow* works for everyone. It's ashy brown (no warmth/red at all) and its degree of darkness totally depends on how hard you push while applying it, or on how many layers you apply. I haven't bothered to take it to a Shu shop to have them slice the end w/a knife because, frankly, I'm afraid they may slice off too much. I'm still using it just the way it arrived - sharpened w/a pencil sharpener - & it works fine for me as I don't draw on individual brow hairs. If you do the individual hair method, it would make sense to have a pro slice it, Shu style, for a razor-sharp tip. (you can see how this looks on Shu's site - very dramatic) Really, really love this pencil!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2007 8:40:00 PM More reviews by dysphoricmango

HOLY GRAIL EYEBROW PENCIL. My eyebrows have never looked better and more natural! LOVE IT!!!!

I have black hair brown eyes... use the Seal Brown for a nice soft look.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2007 4:21:00 AM More reviews by reismione

this is my 3rd or 4th eyebrow pencil from Shu. it's perfect!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2007 1:36:00 PM More reviews by camillacamilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am reviewing the hard pencil in seal brown. I have black eyebrows that I lighten a shade or two for a softer look. I purchased this online and guessed (correctly!) that seal brown was a taupey brown. Yes, it is a HARD pencil, which requires more pressure and maybe a little more time to apply. However, it is this hard texture that keeps the brows looking natural and defined, not Groucho Marx-ish. It is kind of expensive for a brow pencil, but it is a long pencil and with the hard texture you won't use this one up really fast. Well groomed eyebrows can make the difference in how "pulled together" you look- this is a great pencil for getting a clean, defined, well groomed brow.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2007 9:23:00 PM More reviews by LuthienTinuviel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

RE: The Shu H9 Formula Hard Brow Pencil in Seal Brown.

I absolutely adore this brow pencil! After many years of blissful ignorance using my old favorite (Chanel's pencil in Blonde Cendre), I decided to break down & give this pencil a try as I sometimes noticed a slightly unnatural, crayon-y look to my brows in certain light. For reference, I'm a cool PPP, with light brown hair, green eyes & semi-full brows with slightly sparse brow tails. This pencil truly does deliver on its promise of filling in my brows and those problematic tails w/o ever looking drawn on or unnaturally pencilled-in. The shade Seal Brown seems to blends pefectly in with my natural brow color (medium brown) w/o any distracting reddish undertones. As the name indicates, this pencil is hard in texture and it took some getting used to initially, however, I've found that I simply need to press a little harder than I've had to do with other brow pencils. In my opinion, the firmer texture of this pencil is a critical factor behind the flawlessly natural results I've been able to achieve with is product. UPDATE (8/11/08): Still using and loving this product but want to point out a very helpful comment I saw mentioned on the MU board by another MUA'er (cannot remember her user name). She suggested that using this product on freshly cleansed skin/brows may diminish effectiveness as its works best w/ a little skin oil to activate it. I've found this to be very true and while my skin regains it oily state very quickly after cleansing, others might want to be sure to moisturize first to ensure best possible performance.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2007 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Absolutely

Wow, I have this in Seal Brown and it looks super natural on me. It is a hard pencil that requires me to bring it to the store (holt renfrew) for them to sharpen because the way they sharpen it is different from regular sharpeners. They cut it in a way so the pencil lead is flat. However I don't think I need to go get it sharpened for a while because it is a hard pencil (soft ones are used up a lot more quickly). This will probably last me at least 8 months. For 28 dollars Canadian, it is a really good price for the time it will last you.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2007 2:09:00 AM More reviews by x3xtina

I LOVE this eyebrow pencil its like the most natural looking eyebrow pencil i've ever used. i have like NO eyebrows LOL not literally but you cant see any when im in the sunlight. I get teased when i dont draw any eyebrows and when i DO draw some eyebrows on.. it looks fake and almost everyone commented and asked if i drew them on and that it looked too red or artificial. Well the SA helped me shape the eyebrows and showed me how to sharpen the pencil as there are no shu uemura stores in Aus or that i know of. This has definitely completed my face and now i no longer look like a monkey. By the way i use stone grey. Hard 9. The SA cut my eyebrow hair instead of plucking it as it doesnt grow back if you pluck the hair out so i didnt need to worry about making mistakes as it'll just grow out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2007 1:34:00 PM More reviews by Ilse333

This is my all-time #1 HG brow product. It's that good. The pencil is incredibly long and will probably last a decade, as I've had this for months and barely made a dent in it. I'm referring to the Seal Brow in the hard formula, which oddly works with my brows in both their natural brown state and sun-bleached summer shade. It goes on light and smooth, looks natural and fills them in to look perfectly perfect. I get a lot of "who waxes your brows?" queries and I tell everyone that I don't wax, I just pluck a small bit and use this pencil for finished-looking natural brows. Seriously, if you're considering all the brow kits out there with gels and pomades and powders - try this first. Not only will you fall in love with it, you'll have the pencil for years to come.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2007 8:29:00 AM More reviews by mcmxcii

I happen to have a small natural gap in my right brow. This pencil fills it up naturally, and no one is any wiser.

The trick to applying this is to use a gentle hand, so that you build up the amount of colour you need.