July 22, 2014 | 2378 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 1/21/2014 7:06:00 AM More reviews by emmawwwong

I've been meaning to try this foundation for a very log time and I've finally purchased the bottle in Ceylan although I thought Fiji would've been a closer match to my Chi Chi Super BB Cream which I love.

The sales assistant matched me with Ceylan Light 6 which I find matches me perfect in the Winter but I need to set out to find a shade darker for the summer. I've also purchased the Radiant Tinted Moisturiser int he colour Finland Light 1.

My skin is generally normal and blemish free but sometimes it can turn for the worse and be a tad dry. I don't get oily at all so that's no problem. I like having the minimum amount of makeup on so it doesn't look cakey or like I'm even wearing any.

Packaging looks great, doesn't function too well on the other hand. For $44AUD I would've expected at least a pump and hopefully the lid wouldn't catch and notoriously show up all my fingerprint markings? It's also unsanitary to be pouring foundations ont he back of your hand and then applying it to your face so make sure you keep clean hands!

On application my skin was pre-moisturised and I use the pore refining primer (NARS), I believe the two of these products work in harmony and complement the works of each other.
I liked the coverage, it was medium to high which is easily buildable without caking. For me having normal skin, it wasn't blowy at all, in fact it was a more semi matte on my skin. It was not what I was expecting as it was advertised being suitable for normal to dry skin with a sheer glow. My recommendation is that if you're looking for a foundation with a "sheer glow" and you have normal to dry skin, you should skip this one and move to something with extra hydra boost. I've heard it works very well for people with oily skin but I can't speak on their behalf.

All in all I think that I didn't get what I paid for in terms of quality and it was wrongly advertised. I don't dislike it but it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time and definetly get your hadns on a sample before purchasing a high end foundation like this.

Hope this review helped!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/21/2014 2:41:00 AM More reviews by Cath12

Once again here's another high end foundation that looks great initially but turns oily after several hours. What starts off as a nice subtle glow soon becomes an oil slick on my T-Zone and I'm not particularly oily...oh well, I'll keep trying.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by greenapple2013

I love this foundation! It gives the most gorgeous glow to your face! It's the perfect foundation for the winter time when your skin looks dull. It's lightweight and feels just like skin. Only downside is that it should come with a pump for the price we're paying!

Please watch my "no makeup" look using this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2014 10:57:00 PM More reviews by darkangel13

After having NARS Sheer Glow for almost a year I think I can give this foundation a fair review now that I am no longer under the spell that we sometimes get when we buy a new product especially an expensive one.
There are a lot of people that talk about this foundation like its the best thing since sliced bread and to be honest I was one of them until I had it for awhile and started to notice it's flaws. Here's a breakdown:

Pros:
- Amazing, gorgeous, curiously skin-mimicking finish (it's best selling point imo)
- Customizable and buildable coverage
- Creamy consistency and easily blendable
- Bloody brilliant shade range (even though Gobi was a tad too pale for me and Deaville was a smidge too yellow)
- Seems to make your natural skin appear clearer and brighter after using it
- Perfect for special occasions, dates,birthdays, anniversaries etc.
- Luxurious packaging with glass bottle

CONS:
- Not long-wearing (only looks good for a couple hours before it starts fading and looking patchy)
- Clings onto dry patches ( I thought it was marketed for normal to dry skin types?)
- High maintenance (requires a lot of "prepping" i.e moisturizer, primer, setting powder, setting spray)
- Doesn't bode well with really cold or really hot weather (will either make you look like a scaly lizard or an oil slick)
- Transfers easily (on my cellphone screen, yuck!)
- Doesnt make my skin look as good in photos as it does in person (exacerbates little flaws)
- No pump (seriously wtf Nars)
- Expensive

Overall it is my favorite high end foundation but it isn't perfect like some claim it to be. For day-to-day use I opt for other foundations because this one is kind of a princess to deal with basically for a really pretty finish.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 9:46:00 AM More reviews by SimpleNSexy

Edmonton has dried my skin out a lot, and since I have sensitive skin and all, I decided to go on a little foundation hunt.

This is one of The Most hyped luxury makeup on this planet and I'd always been reluctant to try it. Until, of course, I ended up with a combo/slightly dry skin.

The name is self explanatory. One layer gives you a light to medium coverage that blurs our minor imperfections and leaves you with a natural sheen that shouldn't be raising red flags even for those with oilier skin. Two layers on blemishes and voila, you are left with a airbrushed skin that will last for maybe five hours.

Yeah, the only gripe I have with this little gem is the staying power. My t-zone doesn't seem to want to keep this for longer than half my lectures, which is pretty much eight hours.

Lovely if you have normal to dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2014 6:54:00 AM More reviews by belaboo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wanted a dewy look foundation and decided to give this a whirl after I'd read reviews. I purchased gobi which at £30.50 is pretty pricey and it's screw top so you have to purchase the pump separate for another £3!
The bottle is the standard nars design and pretty simple.
When I got home I applied with my hands for a glowing base, which is not what I got!
I warmed the very runny foundation in my finger tips and applied, the coverage was very sheer so after a few minutes I touched up where needed it and had a closer inspection.
The result was just a big cakey mess and I looked like a teenager on her first night out. My first impression of the pricey product were not good. I'm a liz Earle girl and felt like I was sucked in by the glamour to buy nars.
On my second attempt I decided to apply using a real techniques buffing brush and it was the best thing I've done. The application was flawless and coverage can be built up without the cakey goo being left resting on the skin.
All in all I would buy this again the downfall is the price but a little goes a long way. The application with a brush gives a better finish and you feel as though there is nothing on your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2014 6:56:00 PM More reviews by michelina28

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this product for free from a friend, but after using this product for a while I still am unsure if I would purchase. I use this in Barcelona and for me it is much too yellowy, I find they don't have many shades espescially suited to warm skin tones. I do really enjoy the staying power of this foundation, I only use for going out at night time as its a bit too dark for everyday wear and I find it really does last all night (I use Stila BB Cream underneath). The downfall of this product is that is seems to get extremely cakey really quickly and isn't buildable. Even with illuminator underneath (Mac Strobe Cream), I still look cakey. However this said, with a thin layer I find this foundation great and a little goes a long way.

I would always like to have this product on stand-by as it is a great long lasting foundation, however don't know if I would buy it :)

UPDATE: I would not repurchase this foundation, I am using Rimmel Wake Me up During the day and find it extremely long lasting, however at night time instead of the NARS I have switched to Estee Lauder. Highly recommend the Estee Lauder Double Wear if you are looking for something long lasting.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I fell for the hype and bought this foundation (in Gobi) after reading the reviews.

Gobi is probably the best match I have found for my NC15 skin with neutral to warm undertones. I tried Siberia, but this was too pale, Mont Blanc was too pink and oxidized badly, but Gobi was just perfect.

This foundation glides on and provides medium to light coverage (but I do wear this over sunscreen which may be affecting the coverage somewhat.) However, I found that this transfers easily and I do have to set this with a lot of powder in order to prevent this from vanishing. I am used to long-wearing foundation and this just isn't the right foundation for me unfortunately.

I love the initial finish, satiny, soft focus, looks like skin rather than makeup, but then it fades unless I constantly reapply powder. If I sweat (and living in Florida means that I sweat after just being outside for a minute or two) then this vanishes entirely leaving me a greasy looking mess. Don't get me wrong - I adore this foundation but it isn't practical for me to wear on a daily basis. Even touching my face absentmindedly or trying to remove a fallen eyelash from my cheek for example leaves a smudge in my makeup. I need heavy duty, lasts-all-day foundation and this is not the one for me.

Wouldn't buy again but would recommend it to everyone who doesn't live in a humid environment, or who doesn't have the need for bulletproof foundation.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by samanthaxmariee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have combination skin that has its extremes - my nose and forehead get oily throughout the day, but my chin is very dry and flaky. I've been looking for a new foundation considering I have yet to find a HG, and I heard so many good things about this one that I figured I'd give it a shot. Ultimately I've ended up with mixed feelings about this product.

The very first day I tried this, I fell in love. The coverage is relatively full, it goes on smooth and is easy to blend, and it matches my skin tone nearly perfectly (I wear Deauville). It wore all day with practically no fading or streaking and covered up all of my imperfections (redness, blemishes, etc) while maintaining a healthy glow. However, after multiple uses, I began to like this product less and less. After about 3 hours I noticed it stuck to my dry patches and accentuated the flaky skin, making it look cakey and, honestly, kind of gross. My nose and forehead started to look oily after about 6 hours of wear. The only reason I continue to wear this on a semi-regular basis is that 1) I spent so much money on it and 2) it gives such great coverage on "bad skin days." I find that I can somewhat salvage the dry areas by spritzing my face with MAC Fix+, but even that isn't a complete fix.

I would recommend this product to someone who has normal to oily skin. It doesn't work for dry skin and it wouldn't work for extremely oily skin either. I was pretty underwhelmed with this, but I will continue to wear it until it runs out. I wouldn't repurchase - rather, I would continue my search to find the perfect foundation to balance my oily and dry areas.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2014 10:08:00 AM More reviews by yummymummy2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

If you can find the right shade this is a good-ish foundation.
I have Gobi but it's slightly too pale and slightly too yellow. Maybe Deauville would be better?

It is not glowy- in fact it is semi matte. It does give me a good air-brushed finish which looks natural.

The upside is that it feels light on your skin and with 2 applications the coverage is good. It does give a lovely smooth natural finish. Does it last? Well, so-so. With 2 layers yes, with 1, about 3 hours for me and I have normal, line-free skin.

Would I buy again? Not sure ( wish there was a 'not sure' choice above!)
If I could get the shade spot-on then yes, I think so. It has more coverage than B Brown skin foundation which I am also using.

If you can find a good colour match then I'd recommend this as a semi-matte, medium-full coverage foundation, and the no-perfume is a bonus.

I don't get the concern about no pump. Just pour the bottle carefully into your palm!