Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions - Purifying Gel Cleanser

3.6

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (1.0%)(Acne Treatment) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Decyl Glucoside, Lauryl Glucoside, Sucrose Laurate, Salix Nigra Bark Extract (Willow), Coco Betaine, Betaine, Beta Vulgaris Root Extract (Beet), Oenothera Biennis Leaf Extract (Evening Primrose), Sodium Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Glycerin, Glyceryl Oleate, Coco Glucoside, Fragrance, Glucose, Alcohol Denat., Glucose Oxidase, Lactoperoxidase, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol

on 10/26/2009 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was not expecting much from this product because it was all-natural. I had been struggling to find a good cleanser and my Bliss Steep Clean had lost its cleaning power. I saw an ad in Lucky magazine and took a chance on this wash. The bottle is $10 at Target. I used it morning and night for about one week, and amazingly, the product did work. Blemishes were smaller, and I saw clear skin for the first time in several months. I used the cleanser in combination with DDF BP Gel, and my skin has been wonderfully clear. The cleanser is a bit runny and does not foam and works well with the Clarisonic cleanser. My skin did dry out a bit, so I am only using this with Clarisonic about 3x a week.

Cons: Poor packaging as the bottle lid leaks a bit. Smells a bit like lemon Pine-Sol.

on 10/17/2009 9:04:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I received this free to try as a BzzAgent campaign and was really surprised. I didn't expect to be as wowed by it as I was. It cleans my face w/out stripping it like a lot of acne cleansers do. It is all-natural which is a big plus to me and the smell is nice. Overall I'd recommend it, but don't know how effective or life-altering it is. It cleaned my face, did no harm, and isn't expensive.

on 10/7/2009 10:55:00 AM

I have a dry to very dry skin and since one year I have acne problem on my forehead. I tried everything. Nothing worked for me but at least I wasnt break out about 1 or 2 weeks when I start using a new product. Burts bees does nothing for me and beside my skin getting worse and worse since I use that. And I gave it 33 $ !!! can you belive that ! I live in Turkey so paid a lot for shipping :( It is a good cleanser thoug but if you want a cure for acne I think this is not a right choice

on 10/6/2009 7:33:00 PM

It's quite watery for a gel and quite pricey for the amount you get. I like the smell and how it cleans quite well and I might buy it again for that. Otherwise, it's like any other cleanser.

Edit 15 Dec 09: After about three months of using this, I got horrible cystic acne on my cheeks and temples. I'll be switching back to Cetaphil. I give this a two for cleaning off waterproof mascara.

I also suspect that I might be sensitive to salicylic acid because I've tried many things with that stuff in it and none of them worked.

on 10/6/2009 1:31:00 AM

I'm in love as hands down this is the 1st and only ALL NATURAL cleanser that actualyl works! :) I have been on a green kick for the last year and have really switched so many products in my skin and haircare to organic lines as much as I have been able to. Not the easisest task and sadly certain organic products just aren't as effective as mainstream lines I use. Finding an organic deodorant and cleanser have been my biggest battles as I have tried them all, cleansers especially. This Burt's Acne Cleansing Gel surprisingly actually smells amazing (as most organic lines really do smell funky bottom line), ahs amazing ingredients, and actually shockingly manages to really deep clean my very stubborn clog prone skin without using any chemical, sulfates etc and still leaves my skin soft as silk and enver dries it out. I am sold as there is not one single con about this cleanser. YES it is a little liquidy so not too gel like as it's title but I don't really view taht as a con honestly because I have used other liquidy cleanser before and they last 50 times longer because the tinieest amount goes a long way. Try this product asap as it's great for any skintype for an amazing deep clean that doesn't strip your skin and has all natural ingredients that really do heal! :)

on 10/5/2009 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought this cleanser three days ago and I've been washing twice a day. I honestly see no difference in my skin. My past acne remains and if anything it's existed longer than my normal breakouts. I'd like to think that after a couple weeks of using this, my skin will be great...we'll just have to find out!

I got it for $10 so yeah kind of pricey. The bottle itself is a little awkward and difficult to dispense...but the product smells nice and naturey, I'm a fan.

I'll return and update.

UPDATE 10/29/09

This product works. I adore it. It's a bit drying but I fix that with Weleda Almond Oil lotion. Oh my god, love.

on 10/3/2009 3:01:00 PM

One month of use- Didn't do anything for me. I even leave it on for a couple of minutes so that it can work its "magic." Um.. nope. Nothing. Nada.
Edit: Two months of use- still doesn't work.
EDIT: Used up the whole bottle. Final judgment: It dried out my skin like no other, took copious amounts of water to rinse off, and didn't do a single thing for my acne.

on 10/2/2009 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This has really helped my skin for the better. Not irritating at all, very gentle. I have dry skin so i do need to use a moisturizer after this but thats like every other cleanser. It does balance my skin so its not overly dry like most other acne cleansers. My only gripe is the consistancy.. too watery!!! i feel like i lose some every time i pour it out.. i wish it were a little thicker.

on 9/30/2009 3:27:00 AM

Before I bought this product, I read the reviews on here, about how great it was and that your skin 'feels the way it's suppose to', and I was skeptical. I've tried A LOT of acne products over the past years (and I'm only 20), I've tried proactiv, neutrogena, clean & clear, acne free and lots of others, but they either made my skin worse, flaky, dry or oily. I have what I would say it between mild and severe, I break out more on that time of the month.
Anyways, I've been using the cleanser for a week and I must say I love the results! My skin does "feel the way it's suppose to"! It's smooth, supple, and has cleared up alot :D I'm also happy that it's basically almost 100% natural. It smells good, kinda cirtrusy/woodsy. It doesn't lather up alot, leaves me skin feeling squaky clean. Now I don't even have to wear as much makeup.
If you suffer from acne, mild or severe, I suggest this product! It's well worth the purchase! :)

on 9/27/2009 1:18:00 AM

I cannot recommend this product enough to anyone who has ever had to deal with acne! I am one of those people who have "tried everything"- I'm 34, and I've been dealing with moderate breakouts since I was 13. People often tell me I have "perfect" skin, but I've always had to wear mineral make-up and just got really good at hiding my blemishes- and I have a hard time not cringing when people compliment my skin, because if only they saw what it was really like.. (!) I've only been using natural products for the past 15 years, and had been spending tons of money on Dr. Hauschka's cleansing cream, clay mask and toner until now, alternating with Lush's Angels on Bare Skin, because those didn't aggrevate my skin, at least. They didn't keep me from breaking out, though, and sometimes they didn't help at all, depending on the state of my hormones! I was having one of the worst breakouts of my life a few weeks ago- unusually bad- and I decided to try this based on the few (but positive) reviews, and OH MY GOD- overnight, my skin changed dramatically! I *should* have porcelain skin, but rarely do, and this cleanser calmed my skin immediately and cleared it up within days. I love everything about it and will probably never use anything else from this point on- I was even able to give up toner altogether, and I don't even have to use a moisturizer afterward (although I did buy the accompanying moisturizer, which I'm about to try). Considering I was spending $30 to $60 on each Hauschka product before, a $10 bottle of cleanser is a dream. You really don't need to use much, so it will last a long time. I was originally going to pass it up because I've never had good results from salicylic acid products (I've also tried Nature's Gate, Collective Wellbeing and other natural brands, and they were too drying), but this cleanser is perfect- it's refreshing, clears your skin and doesn't dry at all. If I were rich, I'd buy a truckload of this stuff and give it to anyone I saw who has skin issues! It's amazing.