July 22, 2014 | 1286 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Matte Foundation spf 15

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by RMulieri

I got on another Bare minerals kick this past month after abandoning the brand 2 yrs ago .I am not sure I like it by itself ( I am NC20 and was color matched for Medium beige).It looks cakey even buffed like crazy ( even with the primer).But I do like it as a finishing powder over my MUFE Face and body foundation so I will use it like that .Maybe in the summer when I am an oil slick it might look better

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2013 8:46:00 PM More reviews by aggrolounge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The color selection in this line is bizarre. I found myself settling on Fairly Light as the closest color. I have fair-light yellow-olive skin. What stinks is that this formula oxidizes like crazy! What was already a so-so match got very dark and peachy as the day progressed. I also noticed very little shine control, although this doesn't come as a surprise since any formula without talc doesn't seem to do anything for me in the oil control department.

I did enjoy the coverage I got from the powder, and the accompanying primer is quite good. I just won't repurchase because the cons are too much for me to overlook!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2013 10:43:00 PM More reviews by pecantan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i went to the bare minerals boutique and was excited to buy their new ready compact foundation. i had always steered away from bare minerals because i hate loose powder..i find it to be too messy and inconvenient. however after trying all 4 of the darker shades of the ready foundation..none of them were my shade. they were all too red or too ashy looking. so the S.A. talked me into trying the matte foundation. she said that the shades in that line were different and might suit me better. so i let her try some on me. we found a shade that matched so at that point i asked her to do my whole face. when she was done,i was shocked at how horrible my complexion looked. the coverage was very poor and this makeup accentuated my flaws and made the texture look worse. i then noticed that there was makeup all over my new shirt! overall, i think this makeup is for people that have nearly perfect skin with very minimal imperfections. i was not at all impressed with their foundations..plus the store was a zoo and i had to wait quite a while for someone to help me. when i asked if i could put some makeup on myself..i was told that it was against store policy and that one of them would have to apply it. so that left me standing around waiting..

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2013 10:29:00 PM More reviews by trueaddict

So I used this for years until one day I looked in the mirror later in the day. I looked pretty ridiculous. If you don't put enough of it on, you'd think why did I bother to put this on? If you put it on heavier to cover the flaws it starts looking cakey (but not horrible). It really emphasizes pores on your nose as the day wears on and dries out your cheeks. If you want to look cakey, buy this. I've switched back to liquid formulas since they look more smooth.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2013 12:17:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

I don't know how to describe this product. I was looking for a "pure" mineral foundation for my acne prone skin. I'm a NV/NC 15 with a lot of redness, discolorations and acne scars.

The SA matched me to Golden Fair the first time. But when I got home I realized that it was much warmer than my old E.M. Linen and Fairly Light neutral. My skin is very pinkish cool so that only looked dirty in daylight! So I went back and the other SA now matched me to the Medium Cool!!?? I don't understand at all.... I told her that it felt to dark, but she insisted.... And as I thought, when I got home the Medium Cool really was too dark!! :(

So right now I'm quite confused about B.E.:s colors, they are just not many enough and they are not logical and easy to understand!

The coverage is light-medium and NOT enough for my acne skin!

The complexion is matte for the first hour, but the minerals can enlarge pores a little, which can look awful....

Still I like that the product is so "clean" and that the ingredient list is so short!

But I need more coverage, and a much better shade - or afford to buy a few different shades to mix - before I buy this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Michamich

Golden medium matches my nc 42 skin tone. This product oxidizes orange like crazy unless I use a primer (defeating the purpose of the "good for your skin" ingredient claims). The makeup wears off very quickly on its own and even faster with a primer. The matte finish doesn't last more than an hour and the coverage is completely gone in 3 hours. If I wear this for very long in the sun, it makes my face start to itch. Just awful. (For future reference: I didn't like the original formula for these same reasons+the excess shine it gave my skin.)

rated 2 of 5 on 4/6/2013 7:09:00 AM More reviews by susieglass

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to love this, but it's just one of those products I can't get on board with. I was excited about flawless, light-as-a-feather claims, but on my skin (slightly oily, jawline acne), I found the application patchy, and it tended to cling to dry skin I didn't know I had around my eyebrows, cake over blemishes, and generally look a bit mask-like over my skin. After a few hours, I needed to re-apply as I was looking pretty bare, but the powder had visibly sunk into pores. Overall, this made me look like crap. My skin isn't great anyway, but there are better foundations out there to give me a leg up!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 3:59:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Good coverage, and I liked that it has mineral sun filters in. But it made my skin sooooo red and irritated! Only after one use! I do have sensitive skin however. I have no problems at all with Mac Studio Fix Powder so I will stay with that.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by oakley21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Response from BM regarding the unspecified minerals included in the ingredient listed as "soil minerals" in their foundation:
"The list of ingredients in our Active Soil Complex is proprietary information and we are not able to provide you with that information but if you are concerned about any specific mineral we would be happy to let you know if that ingredient is contained in any of our products."
So basically they're not going to tell us what we're putting on our faces. That's great. It could be anything.
2nd Update:
After a week, I started breaking out in small, skin-colored bumps all over my face. Weird. After week 2, I was broken out in the bumps AND red pimples. After week 3, I was covered in the bumps, pimples, and evil whiteheads. My skin had not looked so bad in many years since I was on steroids. WTH?? I finally just stopped using this product a few days ago and my skin is almost completely clear again. *whew* I thought this makeup was supposed to be "natural" and so healthy for skin that we can sleep in it? Well, I did some digging and apparently minerals can still be comedogenic and cause allergic reactions. Even though I used the Bismuth-free version of BM, my skin still went haywire from 1 or more of the other ingredients. I compared the BM's ingredient list to my old Physician's Formula Bismuth-free/talc-free powder and BM had 3 ingredients that PF does not have: Silica, Calcium Silicate, and Soil Minerals. Silica is basically sand, according to Paula Begoun, and Soil Minerals are "unidentified minerals", which could be anything. I've contacted BM to find out what these unidentified minerals are, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm looking into Cleure and Everyday Minerals next to see if I react to those. They both have low ratings on EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. Cleure is rated a 2 for potential harm, Everyday Minerals also gets a 2, but BM is rated a 7(!), which is not good. Wish I had checked the database before buying BM. Hopefully they'll refund my money. *fingers crossed*
Update:
**Ordered the lightest shade of BM on ebay last week and I've been testing it out the last 2 days. So far, no oompa loompa! The color does not oxidize at all, and with the summer bisque concealer(LOVE)on my areas of redness first, the coverage is good and seems to last all day. I ordered the light sample kit of YB last week too, and so far those 2 color choices(Ivory&Neutral)are pretty orangey-looking, so I've stayed away.**
Wanted to love this sooo badly, but the color choices simply refuse to blend well on my face. I bought 2 matte foundations - Light & Fairly Light - for my red, rosacea skin. I was so excited to see that BM tends toward a yellow-based product, as rosacea & flushing need some yellow shades to camouflage the redness. But I ended up looking yellower than a Kardashian after a light application. Within a couple hours, I was an orange oompa loompa. Not so attractive. The coverage was pretty good though, especially with the Summer Bisque concealer(awesome for dark eye circles). There's one shade left that I can try - Fair - then I'll know for sure whether to break it off with BM and move on to YB.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2013 11:15:00 PM More reviews by jhc19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Bare Escentuals Matte got me off of liquid foundation. I can't even think about putting liquid foundation on my face anymore. Anyway, I loved this at first - it was the first foundation that actually matched my neck (I use this in Light) and it didn't break out my sensitive skin, yay! It doesn't have any shimmery ingredients either, which would be catastrophic for my oily face. The coverage is light/medium, but I never try for medium because I always end up looking cakey. Light coverage is fine for me though, so this wasn't too much of a problem.

Unfortunately, this foundation was absolutely terrible at keeping my face matte; I got oily abnormally quick and I would end up looking like a terrible hot mess within two hours. Also, it would always turn orange by mid-day... not a nice look :( I like the packaging and I don't mind the small quantity because I don't use much anyway, but with the price and the oil & orange problem, I won't be re-purchasing. Also, if you've got any dry patches, exfoliate and moisturize like mad before putting this on unless you want the whole world to know about it.