April 19, 2014 | 886 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Dark Angels

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2011 1:55:00 AM More reviews by NolitaLolita

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried everything for my sensitive, oily, acne prone skin with mixed results. I've used cleansers that worked at first and then my acne reappeared. Two weeks ago I received a sample of Dark Angels and am shocked at the difference in my skin. It's smoother and clearer than it's been in years. I haven't had to use foundation to hide my skin's flaws since I started using it. I may have found my perfect cleanser at last! Yes, it's a bit messy, but it works.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2011 9:37:00 AM More reviews by oooSLICKooo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After a month of using this, I can honestly say that I love this! I have combo skin thats oily in the summer, drier in the winter, acne prone. Its a coal laced cleanser that has the consistency of damp dirt. The coal is supposed to soak up oil and impurities in pores. This can be messy, and you definitely don't want to put wet hands into the container. The smell is similar to coalface, licorice-like, supposedly, but it smells like grass to me. I like to take a pinch a little bigger than pea size and roll it into a ball with my fingers. Then I set it on my bathtub rim before I take a shower. It hasn't stained my sink/tub at all. After wetting my face I put my little ball of Dark Angels in my palm and rub it around with a bit of water to get a nice pasty consistency, like mud. Then I apply to my face and scrub. This does not lather, btw. I leave it on for a bit while finish showering, I find it rinses off completely and doesn't leave any black residue behind at all. From the very first time I used it, my skin felt SO soft after rinsing. And whats even more surprising is that my skin was oil free, but wasn't tight and dry. I like that. I also use this as a mask at the recommendation of the salesperson. After a month of using my skin looks clear, even, and acne free. I like that it doesn't have SLS (which is a lathering agent) as I think SLS doesn't agree with my skin. It may not be for everyone, but I'm so glad I gave this a try. Out of all LUSH cleansers I've tried Angels on Bare Skin, Coalface, Fresh Farmacy, and Herbalism. Dark angels is the best.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2011 12:03:00 PM More reviews by rabas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

This is a good scrub ,helps with blackheads but it left my face greasy with black patches . Afterwards I had to wash my face with coalface . I don't think I will purchase it again .

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2011 5:16:00 PM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got a pretty decent sample of this when I told the sales girl that my face doesn't get along with the SLS's in coalface and fresh farmacy. I have only used this twice and I really love it.
She told me to use it in the shower since it's messy. I haven't had a problem with the coal staying on my face but since I've used aquamarina I always wet my face before i start using it.
I have eczema on my face so I am always looking to try stuff that will help with it. I also have an oily face so sometimes things that keep it at bay make me even more oily soooo this in my rotation will be fabulous.
I plan to buy a tub of this very soon (well when I am finished with this sample).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2011 4:32:00 PM More reviews by lydiaxaidyl

I received a sample of this product during my last LUSH purchase. Even after I washed it off of my face I could still see black residue on my skin. I have to follow up with a another cleanser, as water does not remove it. I find this slightly annoying. I did not see any improvements either, but I only used it 2 times. It left my skin slightly pink too. Will not be purchasing. I also don't like to dip my fingers into the container. :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2011 4:52:00 PM More reviews by pink3rbellx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this. My friends like it. But I just can't.
For reference: I have VERY acne prone, enlarged pores, and oily skin that is not sensitive in the least. Pretty much the skin type Dark Angels was aimed at, right?..
This stuff if really cool, first of all. It's black, smells like charcoal (kind of citrusy to me) and is really fun to use. I love smearing it on my face and scrubbing it around. It feels really good while I'm scrubbing, but I can see how some people might find this abrasive.
Anyway.
Once I rinse this off, even if I try to do so thoroughly (I mean, splashing water all over my face for two minutes) it is not enough. I look in the mirror and my face feels scrubbed and exfoliated, but there are no other benefits. The sight isn't pleasant. My pores look congested and...full after using this. Worst of all, I turned my face and saw a bunch of little bumps - not acne, but something that looked like either the beginning of a large breakout on the side of my face. What the heck? My skin isn't sensitive, and this stuff didn't hurt my face, so it's not because I over exfoliated or something. Something in the Dark Angels was about to break me out in angry spots of irritation, and that has never happened to me before. I grabbed my tea tree water toner, toned the crap out of my face to get the charcoal out of my pores, and washed with my beloved coalface. The bumpy formations went away right away. I don't know what it is with Dark Angels.. it feels so good but treats me so bad. I have a large sample I'll be handing off to my friend, and no, I wouldn't buy it.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/31/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by Charlin

I used this about 5 times and the more I used it the blacker my face became! I looked like a victorian chimney sweep! We're talking about big black smudges that are hard to wash off.
The texture is very grainy, like rubbing sand on your face so it does scrub well, but I definitely won't buy this again for the mess on my skin/sink/shower.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2011 6:11:00 PM More reviews by puggy1234

All I have to say is OUCH!
I won't by this product again....other than the dark stains it leaves in my sink, this stuff is more suited to clean soap scum and hard water stains off of sinks, tubs and toilets then it has ANY business being on my face. It has been a very long time since something has felt SO much like it is eating the skin on my face....like maybe when I would 13 and trying pure vinegar to ease my acne! Not a good idea then an certainly not a good idea now!
The sales staff was SO great to my son while we were in there + gave me doubles on a sample - which I have yet to try - that I will keep this and use it on my feet - now THAT may be just perfect!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/15/2011 12:09:00 PM More reviews by inthepresenceofenemies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was recommended this by a lush sales assistant as I was looking to try something new and have very oily skin. Anyway I wound up with this, and I liked it at first, but then realised after a few days that this cleanser makes my face SUPER oily, like way worse than before; I think it must try so hard to strip away oil and dirt that it actually ends up stimulating the sebaceous glands into extra oil production.

I stopped it as soon as I realised what was happening and moved onto Angels on Bare Skin and Herbalism instead, much better products.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2011 5:40:00 PM More reviews by AspiringItGirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Really like the scrubby texture of this, smell is kinda strong but with all other lush stuff you get used to it (and kinda start to love the strange scent).
My skin doesnt feel extra dry once ive rinsed this off. I use this nightly at the moment but as im also using Angel on Bare Faces also by lush in the morning (which is a much milder exfoliator) idk if my skin can take anymore scrubbing. Dont get me wrong this is a fantastic scrub great for ridding my skin of yucky oils and makes me look a lot brighter. Mess doesnt bother me as i use it in the shower, but the packaging defo does. Just because my hands are wet when i take what i need from the pot, thus getting the rest of the product in the tub a bit wet too, i fear that may be speeding up the expiry date lol.
I am going to limit using this to just 3/4 times a week at night because i really dont think i should be exfoliating my VERY oily but acneic and sensitive skin quite so much, will update in a couple weeks most prob. TIP: Massage into skin for as long as is comfortable then leave it on for min. 5 mins before rinsing off. I swear it keeps my skin matte for longer.