August 21, 2014 | 1516 users online

Mascara - Almay - One Coat Mascara (Thickening)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2008 12:53:00 AM More reviews by tracy1031

i remembered my friend letty using this and saying it was pretty good, so i gave it a shot. i love the brush, its like bobbi brown's lash glamour brush/mac's pro lash and kinda like maybelline great lash but with much more volumizing formula than all of them. i had problems with clumping, mostly because my lashes are curly and pretty unruly to begin with, and I had to run them though with a spoolie. this does the same thing voluminous does for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2008 3:32:00 AM More reviews by peach2u

Somehow I always come back to this mascara. This is very simple one, but it does do its job. It thickens my long but thin eyelashes nicely. I like it. =)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2008 4:02:00 PM More reviews by lizw723

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this when it had a 2 for 1 and I did not want to spend more than $8 on mascara. It also looked like it had a good brush from the packaging picture.

The brush contributes a lot to mascara, and I love this mascara wand! The mascara isn't really that thickening, and it definitely isn't one coat only, but the way the brush applies the mascara to the lashes is fabulous. No clumps or any missed lashes.

I do re-apply at least once during the day, but it stays put for a decent amount of time.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2008 12:59:00 PM More reviews by jillmg89

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this mascara. I went through a phase where I was trying different kinds of mascara, then I used this one and have stuck with it. Nothing fancy, just a good every day mascara the does not clump, seperates well and gives me long, full lashes.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2008 10:53:00 AM More reviews by sjcita

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I decided to give this a shot, and I'm not even a regular mascara user! I like it a lot because it leaves my lashes still soft, but yet longer and darker. I only apply 2 coats so I'm not sure how it would look if I keep building it up. Removing this mascara is probably more time-consuming than for other types. I use a cotton pad and jojoba oil to loosen the coats and then do it again. Afterwards I gently blot the oil with a layer of toilet paper or kleenex. I would buy this mascara again since it doesn't flake or smudge after drying.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2008 4:29:00 AM More reviews by thecheat08

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! It holds a curl very well, it thickens, it lengthens, it doesn't clump, it's great! But the reason I gave this a 4 is because on me, it lengthened more than it thickened, which is fine. I love having long flirty lashes but I was hoping for more volume. But that's just me! I got a good deal on the mascara, I got a bonus mascara and it was less than $6. My favorite thing is the brush! It's big in the width, but small in the length, which is great for me because I love big brushes but have problems with them because of my asian eyes. One thing I have about this stuff is that it's hard to take off, so if you buy it, I suggest investing in some makeup remover (personally, I don't like to buy remover).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by missy24680

great mascara...really curls my lashes and thickens them especially on the corners of my eyes to give that marilyn look...try it! good price

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 12:26:00 AM More reviews by kmbirkel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

*Click "continued" for a picture!*

I was very unimpressed by this mascara. It looked funny going on my lashes, and for a mascara called “One Coat,” it looked remarkably uneven and lackluster after just one coat. I applied two coats (carefully, I might add, because the brush is a total PITA) and it still looks… just okay. Not terrible, but not great either. And close-up, my lashes do not look “nourished,” they look straggly and weird. To finish my thought about the brush: it’s very thick toward the handle end and then tapers almost to a point startlingly quickly. The angle is a straight line – it’s not rounded or softened at all – which makes the brush very difficult to work with. I’ve been using all kinds of different mascaras daily for nine years now and I have never in my life poked myself in the eye so many times with one brush, let alone in one application. It also caused the product to leave little “dots” everywhere along my bottom lash line because it was so difficult to control where it was all going. This was not the worst mascara I’ve ever tried, but it comes pretty close – I honestly wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2008 6:42:00 AM More reviews by carray10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I actually really like this mascara. I bought this and then forgot to take it on my vacation, so I bought some Diorshow, which I hated. Wish I hadn't forgotten this. It thickens and looks really nice with no flaking that I noticed. And my lashes were still fairly soft. I don't care about lengthening, so that's not an issue for me. I think it gives respectable length too though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 7:07:00 AM More reviews by brooklyntbone

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: They changed the #&£@ing brush and formula! Now it does nothing!

Pretty good volumizing mascara: the thick brush gives good separation, lashes look thick and not clumpy. As others have pointed out, the effect is close to DiorShow at less than a tenth of the price. However, it takes much more than one coat to get the effect, it does flake after a few hours of wear, and IME it's smudgy and gets clumpy after three weeks. At this price, though, it's no heartbreak to chuck it and buy a new one. For everyday I've switched to L'Oreal's Lash Architect, which gives less of a "false lash" look, but when in the US I'm happy to buy a tube of this and go dramatic.