April 19, 2014 | 1686 users online

Mascara - Almay - One Coat Mascara (Thickening)

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 12:26:00 AM More reviews by kmbirkel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

*Click "continued" for a picture!*

I was very unimpressed by this mascara. It looked funny going on my lashes, and for a mascara called “One Coat,” it looked remarkably uneven and lackluster after just one coat. I applied two coats (carefully, I might add, because the brush is a total PITA) and it still looks… just okay. Not terrible, but not great either. And close-up, my lashes do not look “nourished,” they look straggly and weird. To finish my thought about the brush: it’s very thick toward the handle end and then tapers almost to a point startlingly quickly. The angle is a straight line – it’s not rounded or softened at all – which makes the brush very difficult to work with. I’ve been using all kinds of different mascaras daily for nine years now and I have never in my life poked myself in the eye so many times with one brush, let alone in one application. It also caused the product to leave little “dots” everywhere along my bottom lash line because it was so difficult to control where it was all going. This was not the worst mascara I’ve ever tried, but it comes pretty close – I honestly wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2008 6:42:00 AM More reviews by carray10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I actually really like this mascara. I bought this and then forgot to take it on my vacation, so I bought some Diorshow, which I hated. Wish I hadn't forgotten this. It thickens and looks really nice with no flaking that I noticed. And my lashes were still fairly soft. I don't care about lengthening, so that's not an issue for me. I think it gives respectable length too though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 7:07:00 AM More reviews by brooklyntbone

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: They changed the #&£@ing brush and formula! Now it does nothing!

Pretty good volumizing mascara: the thick brush gives good separation, lashes look thick and not clumpy. As others have pointed out, the effect is close to DiorShow at less than a tenth of the price. However, it takes much more than one coat to get the effect, it does flake after a few hours of wear, and IME it's smudgy and gets clumpy after three weeks. At this price, though, it's no heartbreak to chuck it and buy a new one. For everyday I've switched to L'Oreal's Lash Architect, which gives less of a "false lash" look, but when in the US I'm happy to buy a tube of this and go dramatic.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2008 5:14:00 PM More reviews by mumsymum

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a very nice mascara if you do not have sensitive eyes. My eyes stung from this product. It goes on well, does not flake or smear. I would love it if it did not sting.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2008 12:03:00 PM More reviews by staceb1990

My new favorite mascara! I have long and curly, but sparse lashes, and the trouble with most volumizing mascaras on me is that they just make my lashes look thick (in a bad way) and clumpy. Not this! This makes me look like I have hundreds of pretty lashes. I MAY have found my HG mascara! And it's so cheap!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2008 1:11:00 AM More reviews by may_baby

I bought this thinking it'd work just as well as the expensive brands. It looked wonderful at first, then I noticed black flakes all over my face throughout the day. I'll just stick to my HG mascara from Kiss Cosmetics.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/1/2008 10:37:00 PM More reviews by Margie23a

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to use Almay's mascara years agot that was for contact lense wearers, and then I could not find it anymore, so I moved on to something else. I bought this yesterday thinking "they brought it back, yay!" and put it on this morning. It looked fantastic on, but a few hours later, I had raccoon eyes. I bought the waterproof version thinking it would not smudge, but I am really dissapointed. This is going in the garbage can and I'll continue my quest for a great mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2008 8:20:00 AM More reviews by ohdrdoctor

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this because it was one of the best reviewed mascaras on MUA and it's cruelty-free. :) I use this everyday and it works wonderfully. Natural, clump-free, pretty lashes.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by Fiona423

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in search of a great mascara. This one wears off halfway through the day. It's not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2008 5:02:00 PM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I actually used this mascara for a while and loves it...but for some odd reason I decided to try other mascaras...like MAC's plus lash, Diorshow and lash injection BUT none of them did the job for my lashes..what a waste of money! I know better now ☺