November 22, 2014 | 943 users online

Liquid - Neutrogena - Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup SPF 20 (2009 formulation)

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2010 12:20:00 PM More reviews by BeatleGirl9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The packing is absolutely terrible for this product, considering how thin the consistency is. Overall I think this is a decent foundation. I definitely like it better than Revlon ColorStay and Maybelline SuperStay. It's more moisturizing rather than drying which is good for the dry spots I have. The only thing I don't like is....It just doesn't give me the best coverage and I feel like I can probably find something better than this. It will do for now though until I find something better. Too bad I didn't check their website to see which foundation is best for my skin type. I totally wouldn't have purchased this. However, I would purchase this again if I didn't find anything better.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2010 11:53:00 AM More reviews by Brelki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid vs. NARS Sheer Glow -- My Thoughts....

I've been wearing Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid (hereby referred to as HSL) for a few weeks now. I won't go so far to say it's HG material yet, but it's been everything I wanted NARS Sheer Glow (hereby referred to as SG) to be and wasn't. I desperately wanted to love NARS SG, but it just wasn't meant to be.

For reference, I'm these shades in foundation:
LM Oil Free TM in Nude
MAC NC/NW 20 (generally can wear both, but pull a tad warm) or F&B N2
Revlon PhotoReady in Nude 004
MAC msfn in Medium

My Skintype is Normal with a little bit of dryness around my nose. Very few, if any, breakouts.

COLOR MATCHING
NARS: With SG, I first tried Deauville, then Ceylan, then Fiji, then Santa Fe -- none were great matches. It was, to say the least, a really frustrating experience. My best match was between Fiji and Ceylan, but neither was fabulous.

Neutrogena: In HSL, I figured I was either Buff 30 or Nude 40. I swapped for Buff 30 and hoped for the best. Luckily, it was a perfect match! :)

FINISH & COVERAGE
NARS: It offered a natural, build-able coverage, and my skin looked a tad glowy, but nothing OTT or shimmery, by any means. No oxidation.

Neutrogena: Like the NARS, the HSL had a natural, build-able coverage. My skin also had a slight glow to it. Also like the NARS, no oxidation.

WEAR (All were tested on 13 hour days -- put mu on at 7 am and took it off around 8 pm)
NARS: Unfortunately, I had problems with the SG flaking around my nose area, an issue I've never had with a foundation before. The wear was just not great ime. I tried my samples (even the mismatched ones -- just around the house though -- I promise! lol) all day long, and each one, after a few hours began to settle, cake, and then begin to flake, particularly off my nose. I tried multiple different primers; I also tried without any primers. Each time, I had the same problem.

Neutrogena: Again, I'm on my second day of wear, but I've had no problems. The first day, I wore primer; the second day, I did not. Both wore about the same, but my makeup looked "fresher" when I wore the primer.

NARS: $42 for 1 oz. of foundation

Neutrogena: on average, about $10ish (I've seen anywhere from $8 to $13) for 1 oz. of foundation continued >>

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2010 2:29:00 AM More reviews by cchristinahhh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Such a wonderful foundation! GREAT coverage and is super blendable. A little too liquidy for my taste so be careful! Doesn't break me out and it doesn't clog my pores. Its color selection is not so great but i'm sure you can find a color that'll suit you. Really good foundation, one of my FAVORITES.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2010 1:51:00 AM More reviews by JaimeLeah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

Overall I liked this foundation. It's not one of the best I've tried but it's also not one of the worst. I found that it did make my skin feel better even after I took it off and my skin was really soft. I'm not sure I believe that it can help your skin but it certainly didn't hurt it and antioxidants are always good.
I thought that it was hard to blend. I feel like it sat on top of my face instead of blending in and I couldn't get it to blend properly no matter how hard I tried. It wasn't obvious to anyone but me but still irritated me. Perhaps using a sponge or a brush would have helped but I don't like to HAVE to use the tools. With a little bit of powder on top it look perfectly fine.
The new formula actually had a color light enough for me that wasn't too yellow. This is better than the older formula by a long shot. All the other neutrogena foundations I've tried are too dark and/or warm for my super pale skin.
I didn't notice the smell everyone is talking about but I'm not sensitive to smell in my makeup for the most part.
I'm not overly impressed with the packaging because I feel like a lot will be wasted once the bottle is nearly empty which is always the case with glass bottles.
The price on this is a little higher than other drugstore brands but if you believe the helping your skin even after you take it off hype it's probably worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2010 12:52:00 AM More reviews by Stephanie10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I definitely am impressed with this product. Some people have complained about the smell but compared to other foundations I think it is a surprisingly likable smell. I love that it has an antioxidant blend which I am hoping with time will help my skin. I also am very pleased about the spf because some days I am too lazy to apply my spf after my moisturizer since my moisturizer doesn't have spf in it. So this makes it easy for me on those days. The color doesn't match perfectly. Its a bit on the yellow side even though it is their lightest shade but it still gave me a really beautiful dewy glow that overall I'm happy with. Some say the coverage is sheer, and although it is slightly runny I believe it is a medium to full coverage foundation as it covers most of my scars and acne quite well. I only wish it had the staying power of revlon colorstay as my skin is rather oily and I seem to lose the coverage it gives me extremely fast throughout the day and using any kind of setting powder seems to ruin the dewy finish it gives me. But of course last but not least, not having a pump SUCKS. But that goes without saying. But other than that I am very pleased with the product and would recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by Abrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to admit I went to try it following the hype, and I can't help but be disappointed and feel like this was a major waste of money.

I have never had my mother comment on my face makeup before because even though I usually use Studio Fix Fluid very lightly or sometimes just even use powder I try to keep it natural looking. Well this was anything but, I only put on a light layer, but it was obvious no matter how little I put on that I had face makeup on.

Within 2 hours of putting this on, it traveled on my skin accentuating my pores and settled in the fine lines of my skin around my nose and eyes (I am in my 20s I really have barely any). Now I experimented with this quite a bit, and I couldn't get this to work, it was just so oily, and this is coming from a person who has extremely dry skin.

After I was out running errands my mom told me that I needed to go to MAC and get 'your normal foundation' because this was just not flattering. I really wanted this to work especially because it is so cheap, but I think I am going to go fork out the $26 for another bottle of Studio Fix, I guess in the case of foundation, price sometimes does equal quality.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2010 10:36:00 PM More reviews by halfpastsunday

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I immediately went out to purchase this foundation the second I heard that people were comparing it to Nars’ Sheer Glow. I had tried Sheer Glow once before and was itching to try it again, but I wasn’t interested in paying the $42 price. So, I was very excited to find out that there might be a drugstore dupe for it. Overall, I really like this foundation. It is great for girls who do not want full coverage makeup, but are interested in something that is lightweight and that will even out your skin tone. Similar to Sheer Glow, Neutrogena’s Healthy Skin makeup claims that it will help to improve the overall quality of your skin with continuous use. I find that factor to be very appealing because not only will it cover up your current imperfections, but it will help to better your skin overall. This foundation leaves my skin with a dewy look that I really like. The two things that I do not like about this foundation is that it has no pump (be careful when you pour it out because the consistency is slightly watery) and that the line is very darker skin complexion friendly. Other than that, I recommend this foundation highly.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2010 11:13:00 PM More reviews by macobsession86

I have to give some love on here for this foundation.. after using colorstay for a week and having my face break out horribly, this foundation has helped to heal & get my skin looking good again. I use natural ivory & the coverage is great, gives almost a dewy effect when applied with a damp makeup sponge. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a pump.. but not really a biggie for me. All in all best drugstore foundation i've used & definately would recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 11:13:00 PM More reviews by jasminefire

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For now, my go-to foundation. I tried it a couple years ago and had a problem with the color--Neutrogena does not boast a variety of options for skin color in the yellow range. The Natural Beige back then was a bit on the grayish side, and the current batch is definitely more wearable (golden). The texture is light and at the end of the day I find no blotchiness on my sensitive, dry skin. The effect is soft and youthful, a boon for those of us over 40.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2010 1:19:00 PM More reviews by IvyGuppy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm really liking this foundation! I purchased a 1 fl. oz. bottle from CVS for around $14 but with CVS bucks I was able to get it for less than $5. Good deal.

Neutrogena recommends the Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup foundation for people with either Dry skin or Normal skin on their website. They don't recommend it for Combination skin, Oily skin, Sensitive skin or skin prone to breakouts. I have dry skin and I find that this foundation gives me medium but buildable coverage, isn't cakey, and gives my skin a dewy finish. The foundation also contains SPF 20. While I wouldn't call this foundation heavy, it's not exactly light in texture either and I feel it's moisturizing enough for my dry skin. The only bad thing is that the foundation doesn't come with a pump.