Price: $

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 12/1/2012 7:30:00 PM

Baking soda has saved my skin. After experimenting with OCM almost a year ago I had broken out into TERRIBLE cystic acne and whiteheads. I had tried everything from BP to apple cider vinegar but nothing was clearing my skin.
I stumbled upon the rave reviews on baking soda on MUA and decided to give it a try...and i've never looked back! I've been using the Arm & Hammer Pure baking soda mixed with a little water to lightly exfoliate my skin every night for almost 6 months now. It's truly a miracle. My skin is back to being completely clear, but now its even softer and more supple than before! What's more, it's even gotten rid of some stubborn blackheads I had on my nose and helped minimize my pores. I usually follow the baking soda with some moisturizer at night and I wake up to smooth oil-free skin, however if I choose to not moisturize in the night my skin doesn't become overly dry either and is just fine in the morning.
If you're having trouble with acne, large pores or discoloration, i highly recommend that you give this a try. Good luck!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I was reading through the comments here and I really feel that I need to add my two cent.
Is baking soda natural? That really depends on your definition of "natural." Sodium bicarbonate IS naturally occuring in the forms of the minerals nacholite and trona. However, these minerals aren't exactly boxed up and put on the shelves. They must be processed first.
Historically, baking soda was manufactured using the Solvay process (remember this from chem.?) by processing calcium carbonate (usually limestone) with salt brine (sodium chloride) that had been saturated with ammonia. Gross, right? This process died out by 1980 after the discovery of a more "earth-friendly" and cost-effective process through the mineral trona. More than 95% of the baking soda and virtually all soda ash used in the U. S. each year is now derived by processing trona.
Since trona (Na3CO3(HCO3) 2H2O) is not pure sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) it has to be processed to derive soda ash (sodium carbonate or Na2CO3) first then baking soda (NaHCO3) is produced from the soda ash by adding CO2.
The user who stated that baking soda is a synthetic, lab-created form of NaHCO3 is severely misinformed.

No one can deny that baking soda has many uses and is much more green than many similarly used products out there. Again, it's all in how you look at it.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

BRILLIANT love love love!! I have been using it for about 6 months and am soooo happy i discovered it!! I use it 2-3 times a week mixed with water or my cleanser at night generally. I then pat on Rosehip Oil, followed by Nivea face cream and VOILA!!!! Instant glowy, dewy skin which looks even better the next day! If your getting a reaction maybe try a small ammount and use very gentle circular motions or your skin might be ultra sensitive?!? As a Mummy of 40 with 2 young children its nice to have found something that works so well when my time is so limited :))))))

on 11/20/2012 3:45:00 PM

So many uses!!

I use it as a natural cleaner for my house, as a soak for baths/body exfoliant, use as a facial exfoliant, for cloth diapers in the bin before they're to be washed, use on bug bites and stings etc....

Seriously another item I have to always have in my house!

on 11/18/2012 9:42:00 PM

I love baking soda so much. i use it 3 times a week and my skin has been so clear, and feels so soft. I found other facial scrubs or face washes always left my skin either feeling too dry, or too oily. this just makes my skin feel so soft and light and airy, i love it! amazing what 2$ can do for you :P

on 11/10/2012 2:23:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

good for light exfoliation, bacne; skin feels soft & refreshed

on 11/8/2012 9:39:00 PM

I've been using baking soda just about daily as my cleanser/gentle exfoliater. I have super dry and sensitive skin. This hasn't irritated my skin at all so far.

I use this a couple of ways.
For daily use I put a small amount in my hand and start adding a small amount of water until it forms a paste. I then LIGHTLY rub it into my entire (damp) face in small circular motions, concentrating most of the product on my t-zone.
I rinse with warm water and again with cool water. I pat my face dry and follow up with a small amount of baby oil to moisturize (not recommended for everyone).
I usually do this after my nightly shower.

The other way I use it is as a mask once a week. I create a paste with the product (same way I did above) and rub it into my t-zone creating an even layer.
I wait 5-10 minutes and then rinse the baking soda off. While rinsing it off, I continue to rub the product GENTLY in circular motions. Rinse again with cool water, and I'm done!

Again my skin is super sensitive and dry. It's very easily irritated and this has not irritated it at all. I was also shocked that it didn't dry my skin out. If you have sensitive skin like myself, I suggest using a very light amount of pressure while massaging this onto your face.

I highly recommend giving this a shot!

on 11/6/2012 5:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

i use a tiny bit on the middle of my face around my nose and on my forehead. i mix it with water and leave it on for a few minutes than gently rinse it off. it does sting a little but it clears up my skin better than anything else i've ever tried. i use this as a 'treatment' once a week or so just because i don't think i can handle using it any more frequently.

on 11/6/2012 5:18:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I have acne on my chin that will not go away and I read on many sites to try a baking soda mask once a week so I did for a couple months and while, it did NOTHING for my acne, I do love how it makes my skin feel after I wash it off, so soft and clean.
I don't LOVE it like everyone else seems to, but I don't hate it either, it's just average for acne treatment.I'd classify it more as a plain exfoliating mask, but that might just be me.
Oh and I recently discovered it makes a good dry shampoo too, gets rid of product build up. Just rub a few handfuls, depending on your hair length/thickness, in your hair, let sit for a few minutes, rinse then follow with a conditioner. (use once or twice a week)

on 10/29/2012 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love using baking soda because it help me with my acne and my acne scars. what I love doing 1 a week is to make baking soda mask for my face all I do is just mix it up with water and appy the paste onto my face.I usally leave it on for 15 min and wash it of. when I wash it off I rub my hands in cicular motions so it can exfoliate my skin .and after that I follow up by my moistrizer

Popular Other Products