July 28, 2014 | 984 users online

Mascara - Chanel - Mascara Exceptionnel

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2009 3:57:00 AM More reviews by SunnyK

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hate this mascara. The only thing I didn't find too objectionable was that it didn't flake. However, it can't stand up to even the slightest amount of humidity or moisture (raccoon eyes!). I also hate the brush. You are reading the review of a person who is very lame with mascara. My workday mornings are hectic - with getting myself ready and also my little girl. I cannot be bothered with a brush that requires a mascara magician to go on correctly. I have to have something foolproof (emphasis on the "fool").

The brush is very unusual - it has 6 rows along the brush. Three are almost comb-like and the other three (interspersed) are fuller and have shorter bristles. If you look down the axis (down from the tip towards the "handle"), it has a hex shape. Presumably, the skinny rows serve one purpose, while the fuller ones do another.

This mascara was part of a GWP from NM. It is labeled with "intense volume and curl", so I suppose that the fuller, shorter bristles do the volume and the others do the curling? It might be the other way, but it doesn't matter b/c it sucks.

I know I'm part of the minority here, but my schedule and general love-hate relationship with mascara requires something much easier to use and a formula that can work with my life (and climate!).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2009 2:44:00 AM More reviews by eurobarbie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Beautiful mascara! I was an avid user of ysl's faux cils for about three years before this came along and ticked all the boxes faux cils left behind. I first got this a sample from Elizabeth st David Jones, and I'm pretty glad I did, although I wasn't at the time, considering none of the other chanel mascaras ever did anything for my lashes. It comes in the classic black chanel casing, with gold logo on the top of the brush. The brush itself is bizarre, a hybrid between a normal brush and one of those white plasticy things. Its probably not the brush id prefer but it helps seperate the lashes. The formula is what I love, all though mascara formula is a personal choice. This is a thick yet watery consistency which is highly pigmeneted. I use about one coat of it and it gives great length, a bit of volume and holds the curl well. Its easier to wash off that other mascaras. The whole application technique is a bit tricky imo, its worked a couple of times but its a bit too much trouble, for easier application try to start applying the mascara at the roots with the conventional side of the brush and then gently twist up when you're almost at the tips of your lashes, that in my experience minimised all my lashes sticking together. My only problem is that I heard this is LE, I would be pretty upset to change mascaras again. I think I paid about 50 something dollars at the Chanel beauty boutique in Bondi.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2009 8:11:00 AM More reviews by marlavm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I usually like Chanel mascaras. This product is okay but not great. Not cool considering the price. At first the wand seemed innovative and clever - but now it's just a pain. I guess I'm lazy. For the price, I shouldn't have to work so hard LOL. If I'm going to buy HE mascara I'll go back to YSL or Dior.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2009 3:17:00 AM More reviews by midorisour

save your money, gals! i can't believe the price i paid to have my lashes clumped together. gave just ok volume at the base of the lashes, but clumped the ends together. the brush was difficult to work with. mascara formula was nice, no smudges. not really a dramatic mascara though.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2009 8:43:00 AM More reviews by SugarAz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this mascara.
I like a mascara to do everything - thicken, curl, lengthen, the whole shebang.
When I listed my requirements at a Chanel counter this is the one the lady gave me.
At first, I was dissappointed. The first time I used it I was in a rush and my eyelashes were still soft from the shower. However I gave it another chance the next day and learned how to use the brush properlly (it needs a bit of technique ladies, try twisting as you move up the lashes), and the results were fantastic. Will never look back.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2009 11:51:00 AM More reviews by elva

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First this is very expensive (gifted to me), $30.00. I do like it better than the DIOR SHOW . It thickens, curls, and separates on first application. The applicator is cool. When used correctly, it pulls the lashes up from the root. Also, applicator is easily used on the inner small lashes. The color is very black. I've used it for 4 weeks now and it's still working. Reapplications are a bit tough because it dries to a near crisp. I've had minimal flaking after an 8 hour wear, but I do try to reapply about every 4 hours. So all in all I'll probably by this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/21/2009 1:05:00 PM More reviews by ullainga

Barely ok - I liked Inimitable mascara a lot, so had high hopes for this. But it does nothing - no length, no volume, but it does clump. Won't buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2009 12:54:00 PM More reviews by BavSnob

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this via a RAOK on a forum. After experimenting with the application and getting used to the brush, I really loved this mascara. It gave me volume more so than length, but that's what i was after anyways. I do like this a lot and i would buy it for myself on a special occasion, or for some serious retail therapy! For a day to day basis this is a very expensive mascara, so if i buy it again, i'll reserve for special nights out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2009 5:51:00 PM More reviews by LaciP504

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I returned my WP Diorshow mascara and then immediately walked over to the Chanel counter for Exceptionnel. This has gotten raves on the board lately and after my disappointment with Dior I decided to give it a go. Exceptionnel is well deserving of the praise it receives here. While Diorshow behaved subpar compared to my drugstore mascaras, Exceptionnel picked up its slack and then some! This mascara gave me all the lengthening and voluminizing I had been looking for. It's an incredible mascara, HG material. While a few more bucks than Diorshow, it's $$ well spent!! Retails for $30. One lippie off to leave for any possible improvement in a mascara. :-)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2009 6:18:00 PM More reviews by MMarie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of the worst mascaras I have tried! It clumps like crazy, the brush is horrible and absolutely no length or volume. All the drugstore brands I use are 100% better than this overpriced overrated mascara!! Would not recommend to anyone!