Avocado Oil

4.4

100% virgin avocado oil, yellow-greenish in color

on 10/5/2009 7:14:00 PM

2011 Update: I still have avocado oil in my arsenal of beauty products. However, since last year, my skin has become well behaved and I only use it on my face when my skin is especially dehydrated. I do use it on a daily basis on my hair, though. I massage a couple drops through my scalp and in the ends of my hair before I blow dry it. The result is that my hair is not as damaged by the heat and it retains the hair style much better.

2009 Original Review: Whoa. This has to be the product that caused the most dramatic improvement to my skin, a finicky dehydrated, combination, clogged pore, pimply hodgepodge, AKA a huge mess! I read about avocado oil on Beauty Brains' website and here on MUA. With positive reviews from both sites, I thought that this would be worth a shot, since my Eucerin CoQ10 cream just wasn't doing enough for me. Each night after cleansing with only water, I massage on 4-5 drops of oil completely in my toner-wet skin and then before going to bed I just dab on another layer on problem areas that are dry or pimply. I wake up to skin that doesn't even resemble what I went to bed with: all that oil absorbs into my skin overnight, leaving it smooth and glowy. It manages to undo the damage that my drying sunscreen (still on the hunt for a better one) does to me during the day. I've used this for over a month now and I really am glad that I've found this. Even though oil is a bit difficult to deal with, I've found that the best way to control it is to put it in either a dropper or a small squeeze bottle with a small opening. Trust me, that's an easy fix when a low price, tons of skin-loving nutrients, and accessibility make this item an HG for me!

on 10/2/2009 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I'm going to write a new review about it since now I can say that I have more experience with this product than before.

The oil itself is thicker than most of the oils I've used (including Jojoba oil and Vitamin E oil). I used to use about 3-4 drops of jojoba oil but now i only need about 2 drops of avocado oil to cover my whole face. I only use it at night because it is too oily for daytime use. Before I apply this, I make sure to cleanse my face well because that way my pores will be clear of dirt and gunk, maximizing the benefits of the avocado oil. Then I rub the oil between my clean palms to create heat and then I massage it into my skin until I feel like it has been absorbed.

Recently, I've been using Trader Joe's Vitamin E oil after running out of my avocado oil (however, the first ingredient is soybean oil...) and it hasn't been really making a difference in my skin since I broke out (most likely due to hormones). So I gave it a few days and my acne is still there, slightly reduced, but very stubborn. Last night I returned to my avocado oil and in the morning, my pimples have DRAMATICALLY reduced (the same miracle that happened last time when I first used avocado oil) and now I'm sitting here, baffled by why I ever wanted to stray from my precious avocado oil!

on 9/25/2009 7:36:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this product based on these great reviews and don't regret it one bit. I use it as my current moisturiser and it has made a great difference.
After suffering from acne all through my teenage years, I still had quite a few blemishes and uneven skin tone left over. After using avocado oil I have virtually no blemishes or redness left on my skin and it feels amazingly soft.
I do have to remember to quickly wipe over my face after letting it sink into my skin to get rid of the excess oil on my face - shiny face isn't a good look :)

on 9/20/2009 4:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Avocado oil is my favorite as well. Acne & scars always clears up considerably, moisturizes, makes my skin look well-hydrated....& a beautiful overnight treatment. I'm young, but with every day use I hope to lessen the aging process for the future. This has helped my oily skin become less oily as well...very balancing, calming...ahhh! I need to go buy more now to put it everywhere on my body & hair :)

on 9/19/2009 9:26:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Using too much as a moisturiser broke me out and irritated my skin. Was effective as a cleanser however storage is a hassle - need to keep refrigerated and probably best to decant some into a separate bottle so you aren't opening the same one and exposing it to air. Difficult when travelling...

on 8/29/2009 10:06:00 AM

Everybody's right - it's a great oil and it actually sinks in! I got 250ml of the "Premium 100% cold pressed Avocado Oil" in my local Morrisons supermarket for about 4. It'll last ages. I've only used it on my face so far (with absolutely no adverse effects - just good ones!). I have normal skin which breaks out from time to time (although not since I've been using this) and I think this oil would be great for absolutely any skin type, including oily. I massage it in, leave it for a few minute and lightly tissue off any excess (especially before applying makeup). Makeup goes on great and I'm seriously impressed! Thank you MUAers! x.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

cheap, easy to use and it works.I use on my neck and it has helped the helped lessen the wrinkles there.I love this oil, will try on my face next.

on 8/13/2009 1:52:00 AM

used this because of all the great reviews plus wanted to try it in replace of olive oil. this is absolutely fabulous! i use it on my face and under my eyes and its fantastic- it moisturizes my dry-combination skin and ive also noticed it has cleared up some of my acne scars! i use the one from aura cacia and the only thing that i dislike is that the bottle is a squeeze thing that shoots the oil out (same amount every time) and too much comes out for just the face ( i usually end up using it up on my neck)

on 7/4/2009 7:41:00 PM

Unlike the other oils I've tried, this one actually sinks in and moisturizes and does not break me out. I use this every couple days all over my face to heal and moisturize.

My favourite use for this oil is as an eye treatment- it really eliminates the fine lines without being too irritating for the eye.

on 6/28/2009 6:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have dry skin with clogged pores and mild but persistent acne that leaves ugly hyperpigmentation marks that last for months.

I started using avocado oil as a night/occasional moisturizer (because of the rave reviews on MUA) about a four days ago and I'm shocked. Other reviewers were right - I wake up with inexplicably dewy and not oily skin. My face is soft and I've had no new break outs. I had two pimples when I started using the product and they have been calmed down and been healing much faster than normal. I also had one newer hyperpigmentation mark on my cheek that seems to be fading very quickly. My skin tone overall is just much more even. I had a meeting with some admissions advisers and for once I just felt really unembarrassed (dare I say confident?) about the state of my face. This is a HG product for me for sure.

I'm using the Aura Cacia brand from Whole Foods, $10 for about 4 oz.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products