September 3, 2014 | 1326 users online

Liquid - Shu Uemura - Face Architect Smoothing Fluid Foundation ] [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A liquid foundation with the texture of smooth cream, this foundation has the most colors available for all shades of skin.. especially for the warmer toned ladies. The coverage is light and buildable to medium -- never heavy.

My color is 974 which is a yellow based ivory -- so very different from many of the French brands which always pull a bit pinkish on me this color makes me look like ivory /porcelain.

I wore this today with the Shu Powder foundation in the same shade on top and the finish was out of this world smooth, no pores whatsoever and my slight melasma was totally covered yet the finish is light and fresh.

I am buying a few of these and storing in the fridge to have as backups due to Shu not being available stateside -- and who knows what the color selection will be like later.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2010 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Herbssss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WOW! I tried this foundation on my journey to find a non-heavy foundation to wear for flash photography and this is IT!!! I tried MUFE HD (felt too cakey) and NARS sheer glow (just didn't like it) before this one, and now my search is over! Makes my skin look flawless without making it look like I am wearing makeup. It feels a bit sticky at first and feels wet for a bit, but dries to a smooth powdery finish. Perfect match for my skin. I wore it to the gym, and then added another half-pump after without washing my face or anything (I know, gross, but I was in a hurry) and not only did my face look flawless for the rest of the day, it did not break me out. Ladies, RUN, do not walk, to pick this up before Shu leaves the US in July!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2010 6:31:00 PM More reviews by aemongfresa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading several reviews on this product on MUA, I decided that I would try it before Shu pulled out of the States. I wanted something with light-medium buildable coverage that felt lightweight on the skin. This product completely delivers. I'm Korean with pretty fair skin, and I was matched to light beige 774. I have applied the foundation with a stippling brush before, but I've found that a small face brush like the MAC 109 works best for me. On a normal day I'll use half a pump because I like my skin to look natural but have a radiant finish. I can still see my freckles underneath the foundation and I love it! But it does even out my skin so the patches of redness and old acne scars are covered. For a wedding or special occasion, I'll use a full pump. My skin looks great even after 9 hours of wear. The foundation doesn't settle into my fine lines, especially around the mouth and eyes. It really does look so natural. I look in the mirror throughout the day to see if my eye makeup has smudged, and the foundation makes me do a double take, and I'm left thinking, "Holy cow, is that really my skin?" Of course, this foundation won't do miracles, but I do think it really enhances your natural features. I've tried Dior Nude foundation in Light Beige 020, and Chanel's Teint Innocence in Cameo. Both are nice, but don't have the lightweight feeling and staying power that Face Architect Foundation has. Finally, the pump is a nice touch. Hygiene all the way...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2010 12:42:00 AM More reviews by Brandjunkie

Finally, the search is over!!! After testing several HE foundations that received rave reviews here on MUA (thanks everyone) this is officially my HG! Yay!!! Believe me, I've tried some really impressive foundations including:
    1. Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk and UV Lasting Silk (no color match but now I know why these win awards!!)
    2. Diorskin Nude (oxidized on me, didn't like the scent & wasn't wild about the "all or nothing" pump mechanism)
    3. MUFE HD (allergic, but great finish)
    4. NARS Sheer Glow (allergic-itchy face, but lovely finish)
    5. Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation (allergic-tiny reds bumps)
    6. Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Long Lasting- (perfect color match-Beige , but got a shiney nose in 2 hours-boo!)
    7. Shiseido Sun Protection SPF42 Liquid Foundation (a close 2nd love!)
    8. MAC Mineralize SPF15 (NC25 too peachy & NC30 too dark but nice finish)

Things I love about Face Architect (764 is my color match):

1. Flawless finish and the weightless feel on my skin
    2. Photographs beautifully (no "ghost face")!!!
    3. Pump (I can control the amount that comes out & it's hygienic)
    4. No color oxidation from morning til night!
    5. I only blot my face once after 4 hours (I need to mention that I use the Shu Natural Glow Finish SPF 22 Powder foundation on my nose as a setting powder. I discovered this to be my solution to foundation sliding off my nose leaving "dots" on my pores (don't know if anyone can relate LOL but I've ALWAYS had this problem because of my oily T-zone).
    6. Can be applied with a brush (I use my MAC 130 & SK Skunk Brush)
    or fingers and still get great results.

Anyway I am SOOOO THRILLED with this find! I already bought my backup before Shu Uemura gets pulled out of the US retail stores. The good thing is that you can still purchase online and the products will be coming from Canada (not Japan) so shipping cost shouldn't be too crazy ;P

*********************************************************************************
    Update 9/28/10: Even MORE impressed with this foundation since the temperature hit a record 103 degrees today and I didn't experience makeup meltdown at all! Northern Calif. has dry heat so I don't know how this would hold up in places with humid conditions. One other good news is that I just received an online purchase from Shu today and there was no tax on it because the products came from Montreal according to the SA I spoke with over the phone in th East Coast and shipping is still free for over $50 purchases. Does it get any better then this? Can't wait to try it with my new UV Under Base SPF30!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2010 6:28:00 AM More reviews by bossybunny

I love this foundation, I always end up buying this because it feels silky smooth on my skin and the coverage doesn't look "cakey". However, I would like it better if the ingredients are better for the skin, thats why I only wear this foundation during special occasions or nights out, not as an everyday make-up. But other than that, this foundation is definitely flawless looking when applied, one of the best foundations that I have tried on myself.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2010 10:18:00 AM More reviews by hikuto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't use foundation much nowadays since switching to bb creams, but when I do this is what I go for. I've tried other brands and this one had the best shade for me as I have a yellow undertone and either I've tried some seemed too yellow or others were too peachy/pink.
    I've changed to 764 since a year ago since my skin has gotten lighter and the colour blends in just right.

I like the fact that its not very heavy and that its easy to put on, although oil control isn't the best, but nothing seems to work on my nose which is fine. I also like this as it has no spf, therefore if I'm planning to go out and take pictures with friends I don't need to worry about the flash making my face too white and all.
    I'm also really glad that it comes with a pump as the cream version which I considered getting before this came out was in a pot and I didn't quite like how expose it feels. The only down side is that its very hard to get the most out of the product when you're nearing the end >_<

In terms of price I got this for around 38USD in Hong Kong which is reasonable for this sort of brand and I know it sells a lot more expensive elsewhere so I'm ok with it. But it does make me cringe a little considering its only 27ml ;;
    Haven't tried stippling with this foundation yet, so going to test it out and see if it saves more product and have a better result than sponges =D It works great with sponges, I'm just not happy that it absorbs more product that I would like. But if you do go for that option I suggest the petal sponge also from shu uemura as its designed with a side that doesn't absorb as much product as normal sponges. (I haven't seen it in the stores for quite a while so I'm not sure if they're still selling that thro ;; )

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2010 9:17:00 PM More reviews by Aspiringnomad

I've been lurking on this website for years and I have yet to feel so strongly for a product to write a review. Until I bought this foundation. For all you asian ladies out there, look no further for the perfect match for our skin tone. I've bought some many foundations and was never happy with the colour match (Clinique, nars, lancome, covergirl, MAC). They always looked so pink on me as I have a yellow undertone. Shu has definitely made me a believer that there is a foundation colour that matches me perfectly. I have this in 754 and for reference I'm NC35. I bought this at the Shu counter at Holt Renfrew on Bloor st. (Toronto). The girls there are really helpful (unlike the snobby mac people) and they never ever pressure me into buying their products. For this foundation you're looking at $55 CAD plus tax. I use this foundation with my sephora airbrush brush #55. It blends and goes on beautifully. I do get a bit shiny after a long day, but I don't mind blotting when they colour matches me perfectly. Hope this helps.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2010 2:59:00 AM More reviews by chel8

I love this foundation! makes my skin look so flawless and natural like im not even wearing makeup. Definately my all time favourite!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by venteux

I've tried a lot of foundations over the years, both DS and HE. This is probably one of the most expensive ones I've ever bought (such a small bottle!) My skin was acting up and everything was breaking me out. This foundation, however was great! I didn't get any breakouts or allergic reactions, and the colour match was perfect (I'm an NC 30-35, and I used #554). I did find that my face was very shiny and oily after a couple of hours though. That's the only complaint I have about this foundation.
    UPDATE: I'm on my third bottle of this so far. I've tried other brands to see if I could find something cheaper, but I keep going back to this because the others caused a reaction and/or break out. I also find that this foundation really accentuates the dry, flaky patches I get on my cheeks during the cold, Canadian winter months! But I still like and use it.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2010 1:24:00 AM More reviews by reverie1989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This foundation really blends like a dream, i do not have perfect skin, and my skin is abit uneven and rough at some areas but it really is super blendable! Fuss free and really offers you the liberty to adjust the coverage to a full one if needed, i am really pleased with the coverage over my acne scars using my finger tips. ( I think using a sponge offers a sheerer coverage as the SA tried with a sponge on me in the boutique). Its finishing is definitely not matte but offers a glow ( not oily, but sheen). It doesnt cake up on me as much as doublewear too! It feels like second skin, oh-so-natural! However, i think the oil control is not that fantastic as i wore i to club and five hours later, perhaps with the sweating, there was some oxidation and i looked oily. However, i like the texture, really smooth yet definitely not mask-like! Im wearing 754 =) I am surprised that the coverage i get by applying with my fingertips is actually comparable to doublewear although DW wins by a margin =) Great shu product!

edit: this foundation literally floats on the face and transfers onto everything =(