October 1, 2014 | 1638 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance, Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Green_Tea

Good solid primer. Does what it's suppose to. Best point is that it comes in an opaque squeeze tube!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2013 1:42:00 AM More reviews by Nagomimakuri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Prior to buying this, I had been using Urban Decay's primer potion over the last year, although I never really found that UDPP helped my eye makeup stay in place. No matter how much eye makeup I used, be it for a simple day look or for a heavier night out, my greasy lids would cause any eye makeup on my top lids to smudge onto my bottom eye area, leaving me with an unpleasant dark eyed raccoon look. I decided to try Too Faced Shadow Insurance after reading some comparison reviews between the two products. I noticed a HUGE improvement over the staying power of my eye makeup, which did not smudge or transfer to my lower eye area! What was more surprising was that incidentally I had gotten a little emotional one evening and after wiping away tears that ran down my face, I was still amazed that my eye makeup did not budge!! The key is to apply only a thin layer of the product evenly over the eyelids and allow for the product to dry first before applying any eye makeup. I noticed that if I try to apply my eye makeup too early, that I do get some initial creasing of the makeup. For now though, TFSI is my new go-to eye shadow primer!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by NinaSun

I do like this product - it helps shadows stay on, makes them crease resistant, etc. But, I have the same feelings about this as I do about UD's Primer Potion. Both do their jobs well but both are also overpriced for doing the same thing a lot of other cheaper eye primers do. I just can't really justify the price(It's 20$ for a tube) for doing the same exact thing that the NYX eye primer does for 15$ more. I do like the packaging though - it's a squeeze tube which makes it more hygienic to use on other people than a doe foot applicator is. Overall, I like this but it isn't anything amazing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I would recommend this, over UD Potion, for oily lids. The texture is drier but still adhesive enough for shadow to stay on. I have not experienced any wearing off of eyeshadow while wearing this, even on my oiliest days. I like that the tube is very hygenic and you don't have to dip fingers in anything. One star was taken off due to the poor concentration of product in the tube. The oil (or whatever it is) seems to separate from the powdery particles, and you have to shake the tube hard or squeeze through it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 4:34:00 AM More reviews by sandy98uk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a fantastic product. I have been using it for a few years now (not the same tube I hasten to add but it does last a long time!). I have found no other eye shadow primer that works as well as this - my eye shadow doesn't shift all day long. Only a small amount is needed which is why a tube lasts so long.

At £17 it always feels expensive for such a small part of your makeup routine but when you consider the cost per use it works out good value. I have tried to buy it cheaper on ebay etc but have ended up with fake product so beware! The fake one I received was a whiter, stickier consistency. If the price is too good to be true then it probably is.

Occasionally I find the ingrediants can 'separate' but I just lightly squeeze/manipulate the tube a few times (with the lid on) to 'mix' it back up again.

Suffice it to say, this is an essential part of my makreup routine every day - even on days when I cut corners and use less products to speed things up I struggle to not use this.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/1/2013 1:15:00 AM More reviews by ceciliadinh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really wanted to like this primer but I couldn't. Ironically this made my eyeshadow crease even more. The tube makes it really hard to squeeze out the product. Maybe it was just my tube. Needless to say.. I will be returning this product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by Scottish72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is not kind to aging skin. I don't normally have any issues with puffy eyelids however after I appy this it makes my lids very puffy. I don't believe this is an allergic reaction either. It does have great staying power for eyeshadow with minimal creasing. This primer doesn't allow for blending. Once you have applied eyeshadow you better hope it's right the first time. It does make the eyeshadow color pop which I applaud.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 2:55:00 PM More reviews by AmberMarie016

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't live without this product! Living in Texas, I would have makeup sliding down my face by the time I walked to the mailbox lol. I've been on the same tube for a year and a half (don't judge me) and it's still going strong. *The tiniest amount goes a long way* Will always repurchase-if I ever run out of this dang thing :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Too Faced Shadow Insurance is one of the most popular eye primers out there, second only to Urban Decay's Primer Potion. Too Faced describes this primer as "Your full coverage insurance policy against all fading, creasing, and smudging. Our skin soothing formula evens out skin tone and smooths fine lines to create a perfect canvas for shadows. Color is intensified and locked down until you take it off." This eyeshadow primer is paraben free. I got a little 5g (.17 oz) tube of Shadow Insurance in the Too Faced Beauty Editor Darlings set, which I bought at Ulta for $19. The full size of this primer contains 11g (.35 oz) and retails for $20. Too Faced products can be purchased through the brand's website, Sephora, and Ulta. This company does not test on animals. Too Faced Shadow Insurance is made in the USA.
My sample of Too Faced Shadow Insurance comes in packaging nearly identical to the full size. A sky blue squeeze tube topped off with a cap that never wants to stay on. The front of the tube features the Too Faced logo and the product name. The back of the tube offers some miscellaneous information. This squeeze t5ube has a needle nose dispenser, which is very convenient as it prevents contamination and wasted product. I especially like the color of the tube. Too Faced Shadow Insurance's packaging is recyclable.
Too Faced Shadow Insurance is a flesh toned primer with a creamy consistency. Too Faced says you only need a "rain drop" sized amount for each eyelid, which is pretty abstract, but you do only need a little bit. This primer blends out with ease and sets quickly. I don't feel like Shadow Insurance makes application or blending any easier, and it barely intensifies color payoff, but this primer is excellent for preventing creasing and fading. I've never had a single eyeshadow crease on me when worn over Too Faced's primer, even in hot sweaty conditions. Truly impressive. I'd just like to note that this eye primer can separate a little if you don't use it often, so mash your tube a little before each use.
Too Faced Shadow Insurance is excellent for preventing creasing and fading. I can totally understand all the hype around this primer. Actually, I'll even feed into that hype and say that this is my current favorite eye primer. If you're looking for a primer that improves application and boosts the intensity of your colors, keep looking. But, if you just want a primer to keep your shadow in place no matter what, Shadow Insurance is worth the investment. I likely won't purchase a full size of Too Faced Shadow Insurance, I'm loaded with eye primer samples, but I do recommend it if it meets your needs. This is a great primer, well worth it's $20 price tag.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2013 8:00:00 PM More reviews by nanamisan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this is one of the only products i have actually finished, and a small tube used every day lasted me like two years. you only need a little, its not too oily or too dry, i just love it and i would recommend it, and yes i would buy it again and i plan to, after i use up all my other primers. also, no eye irritation!