Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

3.5

Water, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Acrylates/Steareth-20 Methacrylate Copolymer(thickening agent), Glycerin, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Butylene Glycol(preservative, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Phenoxyethanol, Masking Fragrance, Panthenol, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben.

on 4/13/2003 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

When I was younger, I had been an on and off user of the Gentle Skin Cleanser from Cethaphil. So as I got older, I started to experience breakouts. So I decided to try the Oily Skin Cleanser (with 5% benzoyle). Compared to my other cleansers that contain (2% salicylic acid), it really did not work as well. Maybe because benzoyl doesn't work well for me, or the product itself doesn't live up to its promises. I really didn't get any results from using this. It made my skin generally soft, and wasn't to bad with oil slicks, but it still didn't help treat or prevent breakouts. It's also a bit pricy for the minimal amount of things it does for your skin. If you don't have reocurrent flare-ups, but have oily skin, this wouldn't be such a bad choice. I would use it in conjunction with the moisturizer.

on 4/11/2003 1:10:00 PM

I should have looked more closely when I bought this product. Why would they put CASTOR OIL in a product for oily skin?! I would wash my face in the morning and my nose would still be oily! And forget about removing makeup! I used it for a few weeks because I felt bad about wasting it, but after a horrible breakout it just had to go!

on 4/9/2003 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is a very good cleanser for normal to oily skin because it is so gentle and non-stripping. My only beef with it has to be the HORRID smell. It smells like cheap cheap perfume and the smell is the only reason i wan't to chuck it, otherwise it would be an absoutely excellent cleanser.

I'm a big fan of the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser so when I read in Paula Begoun's "Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" that this really was more of an all-skin cleanser and that it removed makeup (which the GSC does not) I purchased it right away. Overall it's a good cleanser, that leaves my skin clean, fresh, and smooth, albeit a little tight. I only have a *few* complaints. It is very watery, and it easily drips into my eyes which (OUCH) hurts. The second is the smell. I nealy barfed when I took a whiff. It reminds me of Oral Phosphates Solution, a liquid laxative I had to take when I was preparing for a colonoscopy. I haven't really decided if I'm going to buy it again, but it's a decent, pretty gentle option for someone with normal-oily skin.

on 4/7/2003 4:44:00 PM

I only reach for this on days when my skin feels very oily. On normal days this cleanser dries my skin and makes it feel tight. Be very careful not to get this in your eyes or anywhere near them because this burns the eyes terribly. I won't buy this again.

on 4/7/2003 4:25:00 PM

I Have been using this product for 2 years.Ever since I had a face rash and went to the derm for treatment.Rash went away with anti-biotics.With his advice ,CETAPHYL became my daily facial soap.
My skin has always been acne free (even in puberty)and tans easily even thought I have fair hair and blue eyes,I digress.
Back to "C" .Well for two years now I have had acne in areas I didn't think you could get acne(white heads). Near my eyes,along the chin line,hair line, chin line,along my eyebrows.
I was so convinced it could not have possibly been C, No soap, no detergent no no no OH SO GENTLE!!!I blamed in on adult acne or a phase????
Until I recently read about SLS.
I stopped using it right away and I guess SLS is not for me.My skin has cleared up in only three days with something I have been suffering with for 2 years.I have all of you to thank for this.I read all of the reviews for C which has a rating of 3.3 and 56% would buy again.Thanks S*****ks.
Do not waist your time on this, when there are so many with higher reviews.I switched to Avalon face gel only because I love the scent of lavender.I also use a sulfur soap which helps prevent acne, but can be a bit drying, which is fine if you use moisturizer right after.
The C dried my skin out bad.It was a deep dry and made my face look wrinkled.I hope this helps someone out there the way you guys helped me.Thanks MAKEUP ALLEY.
As a side note,I should include all factors to be fair.I also recently started taking Coral Calcium pills (2xday).WHich is supposed to be great for skin and has all kind of anti-aging properties.I had read that as we get older our Calcium levels drop and this can can a change in your body which promotes adult acne.
Thansk for reading and Good luck.

on 3/26/2003 3:19:00 PM

A good basic cleanser that removes makeup and leaves skin smooth and normal (not drying at all). A small amount is all that's needed. For the price, it can't be beat - spend your money on good moisturizers and foundations -

on 3/23/2003 7:38:00 PM

A foaming cleanser that removes makeup without being too harsh. Good in the summer. Leaves a matte finish for a long time on my oily t-zone. Now that it is winter, I have gone back to Eve Lom and REN. If you have oily or combo skin, give it a try - only $4.

on 3/20/2003 10:42:00 PM

I have been using this since may 2002, and it never broke me out. My skin can be crazy! It's all normal, when suddenly out of nowhere i can wake up with a pimple under my skin. Since i began using this, i noticed a lot less of those nasty little morning "surprises". Removes makeup and eye-makeup nicely!

on 3/20/2003 10:24:00 PM

Another recommendation by my Dr. after really screwing up my skin by using AHA's and BHA's too often. Works wonderfully! True, the smell is rather odd, but I don't find it that unpleasant. It gets all my makeup off (though I should mention that I don't wear a ton) without stripping my skin or leaving a film. It foams only very slightly, so those who like a lot of lather may be dissapointed.
Dr.'s must recommend this stuff for a reason. I can't imagine that one could go through a gagillion years of school and not know something. C'mon! Be honest, when have you ever heard a Dermatologist recommend LaMer or Remede, or even Paula's Choice! You haven't (although it is worth mentioning that I showed my Dr. Paula's 8% AHA and she said it was a fine product, just use it keeping your skin type in mind. She recommended using it every other day for sensitive skin). From now on, I'll be going with the products my Dr. recommends.