Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

3.9

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

on 1/1/2011 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I actually have a spare of this on hand in black, and for giggles I bought the eggplant version to play around with. This eyeliner is very richly pigmented, and lasts all day. After a long day, it still looks perfect. Sometimes I even fall asleep in it and I wake up still lined.

This is very comparable to MACs fluid line for an eyeliner. You can't easily use it for an eyeshadow base like I used MACs, though.

Very cost conscious dupe.

on 1/1/2011 8:45:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I've been using this for over a year and I love it! I've been interested in gel liners since Bobbi Brown came up with hers but I couldn't make myself spend that much. I bought this the moment I saw it at the Maybelline counters (about $8 where I live).

It comes with its own brush. It's a small, very useful brush which I am able to use for both fine and thick lines. I've used this for my upper lid (over the lashes and also tightlining under the lashes) and also for my lower lid.

The gel will take a few seconds to dry, which is good for when you want to smudge it for a smokey eye. Just take care not to blink too much so you don't get any on the crease of your eyelid. It is very pigmented (I have this in black) and after it dries it will basically stay on all day. I've never had this run on me and generally if I wear this I can forget about it for the rest of the day. I have oily/combination skin plus I do tend to touch my face so there is a tiny tiny bit of smudging by the end of the day (past the 8-hour mark), nothing that a quick swipe under my eyes won't fix. That's really good performance in my book.

The downside to the long-lasting performance is that it can be difficult to remove, but that's an acceptable exchange for me. Also it started drying up after a year (I heard other gel eyeliners are the same). I found a recommendation to submerge the whole pot in a cup of hot water for 15 minutes, and that fixed it.

I'm not even a quarter through the pot but if I ever run out will definitely repurchase. I have this in black so I also plan to try out the brown.

on 1/1/2011 7:42:00 AM

I was tired of using pencil eyeliner and saw that this product was on sale and gave it a try. I absolutely LOVE it! It goes on easily and just the smallest amount is enough. The only con about it is the brush that comes with it. I personally don't think that it's the best brush, so I use a slant brush to apply this product. Overtime, this product may smudge (i.e. from sweating or having this product on for long hours). But on a daily basis, I would say this is one of the best eyeliners I have ever tried.

on 1/1/2011 3:49:00 AM

I got this in China summer 2009 when it wasnt out in NA yet, and it was cheaper than NA.
I never wear eye primers so maybe that is why by the end of the day my bottom eyelines look so dark!

on 12/31/2010 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I don't give many solid 5 ratings and this is a solid 5! This eyeliner is incredibly pigmented, easy to use, stays in place and comes in a variety of fun and classic colors.
I do not care much for the brush provided, it's a good size and does okay but I found it just didn't grab enough product.

These are very comparable to MAC fluidlines, and much more affordable. You don't get as much in these jars, but at $7.50 I still think it is a better option for cash conscious shoppers. (Update) Ok the weights on these products are the same, 3 gram, but if I look at it side by side I still don't see how the Maybelline one has the same amount of product in it. But there ya go...

My one piece of advice is make sure you have a good makeup remover because soap and water will not remove these entirely. I swatched these earlier and I have scrub my hands vigorously 3 times and it is still dark on my hands.

Update: Okay after some wear I have to say I might shave off half a lippy only because the formula is so much dryer then the MAC Fluidline. You can still get good coverage, but you have to work a little harder at it. not a big deal but if you have shaky hands like I do, the more time I spend on my eyes, the more time I have to muck it up. I still think this is a great low cost alternative to MAC, but there is a slight down grade in quality.

on 12/26/2010 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

this is a great gel liner! it's very creamy and very pigmented colour! (I have the one in Blackest black) I also love the brush it comes with and the liner glides like a dreamm! it's very good!

I usually use the Maybelline waterproof felt tip liquid eyeliner. But, I haven't seen it in stock in Rite Aid or CVS, which leads me to think it may have been discontinued. So, I decided to get the Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner instead.

Some eyeliners will transfer an imprint of the liner on my lash line to my crease due to the way my eyes are shaped. And I was worried that this product would do the same thing. I was also weird that the brush would be poorly made. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this product. This product is pretty easy to put on. I would say it's in between pencil and liquid eyeliner. It gives a more natural appearance than liquid liner. I like that it immediately doesn't smudge and it immediately dries as soon as I put it on my lid unlike liquid liner. Overall, it's a good product.

on 12/24/2010 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This eyeliner comes in a little glass pot with a full-length handled brush. The first thing I noticed was how deceiving the size of the pot is. The glass walls and bottom are so thick! On closer examination, the only part of the pot that actually contains any product is pretty much just the neck of the pot, where the cap screws on. But I guess that's fine because this gel is so densely pigmented that you only need a tiny smidge every time you line your eyes. I just thought it was funny.

I'll start by saying that I like the brush. It was much better than I expected it to be. The bristles are quite stiff and densely packed together, and then they thin a little at the rounded tip to give the brush a small amount of flex. This allows precision without making the brush hard and stabby.

There is a bit of a learning curve if you've never used a gel liner. The gel is pretty smooth and it's okay to go straight from the pot onto the brush and onto your eyelid, but if you want a really clean, crisp line you need to warm the product up a bit. Otherwise it does pull a bit on the lid and is not perfectly smooth. Also, be very careful not to pile too much on the brush, or it will be messy! You can easily achieve a smudgy, smoky line quickly.

Staying power for me is pretty good. To be on the safe side, I set the outer corners with translucent powder, especially if I do a winged line. I don't know if this is actually waterproof, I haven't tested that out on my eyes, but on my hand it only washed partway off in the shower. It comes off easily with my Neutrogena eye makeup remover.

on 12/24/2010 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I didnt' like this product. It came with a cute little brush, but I didn't use it much. I used an angled eyeliner brush. I'm just not a huge fan of most gel liners. The staying power for the waterline is not very good and I find that this smudges like crazy. It's not the blackest black I've ever seen and it dries up amazingly too quick. I would buy the Wet N Wild one over this any day. Meh.

on 12/24/2010 3:15:00 AM

I could never get the hang of liquid liner when it first came out, and I finally gave up. When I saw the gel eyeliner I thought it would be the same thing. On impulse I bought it because it looked much easier to use. First of all, even if you are a teen just strarting out and learning makeup, this product makes your eyes come out professional everytime! The first time I used it I thought it was too good to be true because it glides on so perfectly, in place giving me a perfect cat eye effect! It doesn't make a mess and the brush is perfect and easy to control with small hands, and you can twist the brush slightly to achieve the shape you want! Unlike a pencil, you can get perfectly right to the lash line with this product! Nothing else gets a perfect line right to your lash line like this ever! Best of all this jar may seem tiny, but a little goes a very, very long way! and OOOPS just last week I was in a rush getting ready to go out for the night and left the top off the glass lid overnight after doing my makeup and didnt realize until the next day. I thought for sure the product was ruined and dried out but amazingly it was fine. I just wouldnt make a habit of it. Im sure one single drop literally of water would probably refresh it. I expect to get at least a year out of this jar. The staying power of this liner is awesome also! I can put it on in the morning and by 5pm its still intact with an occasional touch up. The only draw back is the portability, the little jar is carried seperate from the brush so it would be kind of hard to carry in a small evening clutch or wristlet. However, I have touched up on top of it with a Kohl pencil and its fine. For a drug store brand I would say this stuff is one step above amazing! This is a must have in my makeup essentials!

Video Reviews & Tutorials