Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

on 1/5/2011 11:02:00 AM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I'm big on Stila Smudgepots, but I'm poor, so this is a good substitute. Very workable and long lasting. Not 'quite' as good staying power at my Smudgepot, but a little black eyeshadow lined overtop helps make it last longer. Fades a bit after a long day, but what do you expect for $4.50.

on 1/5/2011 8:41:00 AM

I bought this in Aubergine. A good purple to go with my Lancome palette. Has a smooth texture and is very easy to work with which is great considering my inexperience with anything but pencil liner. Color fades a bit after about 8 hours but there is still plenty on my lid. I don't look like I lost my liner! The brush that comes with the product is excellent, beats my Aveda e/l brush hands down. I am going to repurchase again soon, as I want the brown shade also. I'll repost after I see how long and how well it lasts in the jar

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love this gel eyeliner! I have the MAC creme base that can be used as a eyeliner, and ive also tried Bobbi Brown's version of this....and this is MUCH better than either of these products.

it has a smooth application, stays on all day, easy to apply, comes with a great brush...and can be used for a number of looks. ive used this as an eyeliner, eyeshadow, black lipstick, and to thicken lashes to make them appear fake.

things to note:
1. the brush needs to be wiped off after every application (i just use a baby wipe to get off the excess liner), this keeps it from getting hard and flakey
2. if you are worried about it coming off, use a pencil liner at the lashline then go over with the gel liner
3. if you think its too "shiny" then go over with black eyeshadow (this also keeps the liner from smudging
4. great to blend into eyeshadow.
5. it dries out (and i have had mine for months and have not experienced this) there are a few things you can do: keep it away from extreme temperatures (super cold and super hot will change the chemicals in it), you can always mix with a tiny bit of vaseline, that will bring it back to life.

I wil

on 1/4/2011 10:20:00 AM

I am a novice at tightlining, and was looking for a good pencil to use. I bought one and tried it and got total racoon eyes. So I thought I'd try some sort of gel/liquid- see if that worked better. I was just browsing at walmart and found this and I love it!!

Even for a novice like me (this is my third day tightlining, counting the day it totally failed with the pencil). After doing more research for tightlining tutorials (thanks MUA board!!!) I tried it with this gel eyeliner and it is FABULOUS!!

Yesterday (my first day with using it) my eyes were watery because of my contact lenses. I tightlined and it didn't go smeary or get in my eyes/contacts or transfer to my lower waterline or give me racoon eyes- at all the whole day. Even with my watery eyes!!!

I was a little afraid of removing it, as I HATE greasy eye makeup removers, but it came off with just my regular washing my face well. YAY!!

Today I had less time and my tightlining job wasn't as good- not enough practice yet, but the liner stayed where I put it.

I got the most black one (Can't remember what it's officially called, LOL), and it looks great with my eyelashes.

I don't usually wear black eyeliner on my upper lids, but if I did I would wear this one!

Now, I've only had this for 2 days, so I don't have the experience of it drying out or the brush going wonky, so I may re-review and add more.

It comes with it's own brush, which I liked- it's short for easier close up control (imho) and since I didn't already have a brush that was awesome!

So far, for my tightlining purposes, this one fits the bill! I may still try to find a truly waterproof pencil for this purpose....but right now this works great.

on 1/3/2011 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is just okay. I've heard great things about the Wet N Wild one but blew it off 'cause it looked cheap. Well I was wrong. Out of the two this one is the "bad" one. The color pay off of the Maybelline one is just lousy. It's supposed to be a black but all I get is a soft black, almost grey, color from it. It also smears easily. While this would be "ok" for a natural look, I wouldn't buy it again due to this.

It's good but not great. I bought mine in Blackest Black. It comes with a not-so-fine brush that seems a little tricky but it's workable. At first, I really liked it but, after a while, the product began to dry in the bottle and the brush went from neat to messy. The liner itself was not as smooth as I wanted it to be since it was a gel eyeliner... but the results were good and pigmented.

on 1/2/2011 12:35:00 AM

I bought the black color in October and have used it off and on since. I liked the brush a lot then, but since then the bristles have gotten less firm and it is harder to apply. The color isn't the most intense I've tried (Wet N Wild's cream eyeliner is definitely darker) but I think it goes on smoothly and stays on well especially if you use a primer.

on 1/1/2011 11:01:00 PM

i have this in black and the color is not as intense or smooth as i wanted. i find it hard to get a smooth application (no gaps) unless i use A LOT of product which then makes it smudge so much more than it already does. i tried using it with a primer under it but it still smudged. by the end of a 5 hour party i had spotty fading and smudges under my eyes. also made my brush extremely stiff after using it. i think bobbi brown or mac fluidline is a better buy bc one pot will alst you a while and save you money on primers and stress from smudging

on 1/1/2011 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I actually have a spare of this on hand in black, and for giggles I bought the eggplant version to play around with. This eyeliner is very richly pigmented, and lasts all day. After a long day, it still looks perfect. Sometimes I even fall asleep in it and I wake up still lined.

This is very comparable to MACs fluid line for an eyeliner. You can't easily use it for an eyeshadow base like I used MACs, though.

Very cost conscious dupe.

on 1/1/2011 8:45:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I've been using this for over a year and I love it! I've been interested in gel liners since Bobbi Brown came up with hers but I couldn't make myself spend that much. I bought this the moment I saw it at the Maybelline counters (about $8 where I live).

It comes with its own brush. It's a small, very useful brush which I am able to use for both fine and thick lines. I've used this for my upper lid (over the lashes and also tightlining under the lashes) and also for my lower lid.

The gel will take a few seconds to dry, which is good for when you want to smudge it for a smokey eye. Just take care not to blink too much so you don't get any on the crease of your eyelid. It is very pigmented (I have this in black) and after it dries it will basically stay on all day. I've never had this run on me and generally if I wear this I can forget about it for the rest of the day. I have oily/combination skin plus I do tend to touch my face so there is a tiny tiny bit of smudging by the end of the day (past the 8-hour mark), nothing that a quick swipe under my eyes won't fix. That's really good performance in my book.

The downside to the long-lasting performance is that it can be difficult to remove, but that's an acceptable exchange for me. Also it started drying up after a year (I heard other gel eyeliners are the same). I found a recommendation to submerge the whole pot in a cup of hot water for 15 minutes, and that fixed it.

I'm not even a quarter through the pot but if I ever run out will definitely repurchase. I have this in black so I also plan to try out the brown.

Video Reviews & Tutorials