February 28, 2015 | 1911 users online

Eyeliner - Maybelline - Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2010 9:40:00 PM More reviews by BeautifulHatred

I usually use the Maybelline waterproof felt tip liquid eyeliner. But, I haven't seen it in stock in Rite Aid or CVS, which leads me to think it may have been discontinued. So, I decided to get the Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner instead.

Some eyeliners will transfer an imprint of the liner on my lash line to my crease due to the way my eyes are shaped. And I was worried that this product would do the same thing. I was also weird that the brush would be poorly made. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this product. This product is pretty easy to put on. I would say it's in between pencil and liquid eyeliner. It gives a more natural appearance than liquid liner. I like that it immediately doesn't smudge and it immediately dries as soon as I put it on my lid unlike liquid liner. Overall, it's a good product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2010 6:31:00 PM More reviews by sunshowers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This eyeliner comes in a little glass pot with a full-length handled brush. The first thing I noticed was how deceiving the size of the pot is. The glass walls and bottom are so thick! On closer examination, the only part of the pot that actually contains any product is pretty much just the neck of the pot, where the cap screws on. But I guess that's fine because this gel is so densely pigmented that you only need a tiny smidge every time you line your eyes. I just thought it was funny.

I'll start by saying that I like the brush. It was much better than I expected it to be. The bristles are quite stiff and densely packed together, and then they thin a little at the rounded tip to give the brush a small amount of flex. This allows precision without making the brush hard and stabby.

There is a bit of a learning curve if you've never used a gel liner. The gel is pretty smooth and it's okay to go straight from the pot onto the brush and onto your eyelid, but if you want a really clean, crisp line you need to warm the product up a bit. Otherwise it does pull a bit on the lid and is not perfectly smooth. Also, be very careful not to pile too much on the brush, or it will be messy! You can easily achieve a smudgy, smoky line quickly.

Staying power for me is pretty good. To be on the safe side, I set the outer corners with translucent powder, especially if I do a winged line. I don't know if this is actually waterproof, I haven't tested that out on my eyes, but on my hand it only washed partway off in the shower. It comes off easily with my Neutrogena eye makeup remover.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2010 8:03:00 AM More reviews by leoisillon

I didnt' like this product. It came with a cute little brush, but I didn't use it much. I used an angled eyeliner brush. I'm just not a huge fan of most gel liners. The staying power for the waterline is not very good and I find that this smudges like crazy. It's not the blackest black I've ever seen and it dries up amazingly too quick. I would buy the Wet N Wild one over this any day. Meh.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2010 3:15:00 AM More reviews by lildanic

I could never get the hang of liquid liner when it first came out, and I finally gave up. When I saw the gel eyeliner I thought it would be the same thing. On impulse I bought it because it looked much easier to use. First of all, even if you are a teen just strarting out and learning makeup, this product makes your eyes come out professional everytime! The first time I used it I thought it was too good to be true because it glides on so perfectly, in place giving me a perfect cat eye effect! It doesn't make a mess and the brush is perfect and easy to control with small hands, and you can twist the brush slightly to achieve the shape you want! Unlike a pencil, you can get perfectly right to the lash line with this product! Nothing else gets a perfect line right to your lash line like this ever! Best of all this jar may seem tiny, but a little goes a very, very long way! and OOOPS just last week I was in a rush getting ready to go out for the night and left the top off the glass lid overnight after doing my makeup and didnt realize until the next day. I thought for sure the product was ruined and dried out but amazingly it was fine. I just wouldnt make a habit of it. Im sure one single drop literally of water would probably refresh it. I expect to get at least a year out of this jar. The staying power of this liner is awesome also! I can put it on in the morning and by 5pm its still intact with an occasional touch up. The only draw back is the portability, the little jar is carried seperate from the brush so it would be kind of hard to carry in a small evening clutch or wristlet. However, I have touched up on top of it with a Kohl pencil and its fine. For a drug store brand I would say this stuff is one step above amazing! This is a must have in my makeup essentials!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2010 1:14:00 AM More reviews by highwayrendezvous

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

This is just about the best eyeliner I have used so far. I have tried many eye pencils, liquid eyeliners, and now I've become a gel-liner convert! I have never tried MAC fluidtrack or BB gel eyeliners before, so I can't do any comparisons, sadly. But this--this gem stays smudge-proof, and sweat-resistant all day! I swear! I had a test-run of this on a hot and sweltering day (I perspired a lot!) but this stays in place--no panda eyes! A very good product for a drugstore brand. Buy this if you're looking for a really good gel-eyeliner for the price of a drugstore product!

It goes on smooth, and is very pigment. I can get away with just a layer of it, and do not have to go over it again. It doesn't dry out easily, and the brush makes application a breeze. I can easily draw thin or thick lines with it. Overall, a great product! Love, love, love. Perhaps the best product from Maybelline so far (I loathe their foundations, blushes and everything else :/ )

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2010 8:14:00 AM More reviews by kemingj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Best eyeliner I have used so far; used to have pencil/crayon based eyeliners which are rather difficult to apply on.

This gel eyeliner is easy to apply, quick drying, does not smudge, long-lasting, almost no clumps.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2010 1:57:00 AM More reviews by Hzk

I really liked this eyeliner! I bought it in blackest black. The pros are that it has a rich colour, doesn't run or smudge, although I must say that it is 85-90% waterproof, not as strictly as it states on its packet. Before using it I tested by drawing a line on the back of my hand and running a finger over it which was damp with water-the product smudge a little, and it smudged even more when I rubbed harder.

It has great lasting power though. I applied it one evening and forgot to remove it at night before going to sleep, then when I woke up it was still there along my upper lash line, which means that it stayed at least 12 hours! It's a great quality for the price. As far as the brush goes, I would use a liner brush but since they provided one I use that. Many users say that the brush is too hard or simply difficult to use, but I think that's a matter of being skillful with the brush. I can't find any cons about this eyeliner, it's amazing!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2010 11:16:00 PM More reviews by darkchii33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I had a coupon for either $1 or $2 off this product....I don't remmeber. So when I went to my walmart, I decided to try this product.

I wanted a purple one, so I bought eggplant. When I got home, I was so excited to try it. Unfortunately....it was dried as hell when I opened it. Not to mention my utter disappointment. I dont know why I didnt return this crap. Its rock hard and nasty. Now it just sits in my makeup drawer....i'll be sticking to my better quality ones from now on.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2010 3:18:00 PM More reviews by changja2

I have this in both the black and eggplant colors.
I rated this based on how I feel about the black as I don't like the eggplant much at all.

The black is very creamy and extremely pigmented. It glides on smoothly. Unfortunately, it migrates and smears no matter what I do - I apply UDPP underneath, set the liner with black shadow and put setting powder on top. The end product is that I look like a raccoon after a few hours.
I've had the black pot for 7 months and it hasn't dried out yet but I keep the pot upside down - I read from some other reviewer that this helps keep it from drying out. I don't know if this truly helps or not but it can't hurt.
I will say that the brush that comes with the pot is great - it is dense, applies the gel well and it has never shed a hair on me.

The eggplant liner is another story. It is much too sheer and smears. It also dried out after a few months.

I think I'll try the Bobbi Brown gel liners next. They are double the cost of the Maybelline gel liners but what good is makeup that makes you look bad, even if it's cheap?

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2010 11:43:00 AM More reviews by twistupgal

Let me start off by saying that NOTHING stays on my eyelids for more than eight hours, even with a primer. Last night I fell asleep at my friend's place and woke up with my eyeliner still perfect. I'm loving this for a couple of reasons. For one thing, I hate felt tip eyeliners and pencil eyeliners. They just don't work for me. I've tried all kinds of liquid eyeliners and the most affordable one that worked for me was NYC brand. Unfortunately NYC brand flakes like a mother. Not even an hour after I'd put it on, it'd be flaking. So, I decided it was time to try gel and bought this for about 8-9 dollars. I bought mine at a grocery store on a whim, so it's probably cheaper at Walmart. The staying power is great, it's very easy to use and I've had absolutely no flaking. The brush that comes with it isn't half bad either. It looks like a small pot, but you use so little at a time that I can see it easily lasting me for months. I'm reallllly hoping it doesn't start drying out like other reviewers have mentioned. All in all, I love it!