Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 9/3/2011 10:11:00 PM

I didn't think much of this foundation and was disappointed as so many love it.
On application I thought this was "ok" nothing special but it didn't last on me for the day. By mid morning it became very shiny on me (even though I had powdered) and by the end of the day it had worn off quite a bit. I have normal to combination skin, maybe it is better suited to dry skins.

on 9/3/2011 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

The coverage of this foundation is great because it is buildable; some days you are not in the mood to wear as much foundation as the next. This foundation makes me feel as if im not wearing any makeup at all which bothered me the first few times I applied it, but over time made me realize why this product is praised. I usually prefer a matte finish, and this foundation gives more of a natural, extremely slight dewy finish which isn't a bad thing. Also when using this, I do not have to reach for concealer because this does the job of multiple products. If you want to look natural with great coverage, this is the foundation for you.

on 9/1/2011 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I wear this foundation only for special occasions (Going out to clubs/parties) I got matched to #123 which is Desert (for light skin with olive undertones) For MAC Reference I would say NC30 (Even though their products its too orange for me) I wouldn't refer myself as light skin but rather medium complexion as I am Latina. With olive undertones this foundation is not too pink or orange but neutral which is what I love about it. I have clear skin (with the help of a prescription acne treatment) with a couple of acne scars. It covers it perfectly. If you have oily skin like myself, I would recommend using a oil free and matte primer. I use 2-3 pumps to cover my face and neck. I apply this with my fingers to warm up the product so it blends better into my skin. To set this I use the HD Powder. And I end up with flawless looking skin. To make sure my makeup stays on the whole night I set it with Urban Decay All Nighter Spray (Which I love) #123 Is perfect for the Fall to Winter Season. But I might get another bottle a shade or two darker for the Spring and Summer season, but might not since I don't wear this everyday.

on 9/1/2011 1:40:00 PM

I'll start off by saying this is my HG foundation!
With all other foundations that I have tried there was always something that didn't look quite right. I was using Clinique for ages before I tried this.
I use this in the colour 118 and it has very subtle yellow undertones which work really nicely on light/medium skin and don't make me look pink/orange/ashy.
Prior to finding this foundation, I had difficult covering redness around my nose, and found that foundation would tend to rub off over the course of the day or look cakey.
I buff this in with my MAC stippling brush and I only go over my nose once to get rid of redness. It looks great, excellent colour match and it stays all day long. Even when I sleep with makeup on (naughty, I know) it is still on the next morning. I am on my fourth bottle of this and dont plan on switching...ever.
The only cons I can think of is that it IS a little pricey @ 50CAD for a botte, but they tend to last me about 5 or six months. Also, the lid and the pump is a little messy and after a while the lid stops staying on in the makeup bag which causes a bit of a mess. Overall, this product is so good that I overlook those little annoyances.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I really really really wanted to like this. After hearing many people rave about it I was super excited. Ultimately it was a huge disappointment.

Pros:
-Excellent colour selection - I don't think I have ever had any foundation match me so perfectly and I was super impressed with the variety.
-Feels like I'm not wearing make up.
-Did not break me out in any way.

Cons:
- Looks like I'm not wearing make up (and I don't mean that in a good way). I'm sorry but for about $50 bucks (Canadian) I expect my face to look flawless. I want what mother nature failed to give me. Or at least I want to see an improvement of some kind, any kind. If I'm going HE I am expecting HE, and this not only is not any better than a variety of cheaper foundations, it's far worse than many drugstore foundations. If anything it seemed to highlight my imperfections.
- 0 lasting power. Although to be fair since it doesn't do much when its on the staying power is far less of an issue.
- Price - did I mention how much this thing costs????? (very important given the results)

So sad... I was so hopeful, so excited and ultimately so disappointed. Sigh, the search for HG foundation continues.

on 8/30/2011 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I don't wear alot of makeup, and generally reserve foundation for special occasions or when I have some serious skin issues to cover up. I got a sample from Sephora, #128. It matched my skin perfectly in the summer, but may be too dark in the winter. I found this a decent foundation, altough I've only ever tried Bobbi Brown and Giorgio Armani. I found it a bit hard to apply, it streaked alot with a foundation brush so I may try using my fingers next time. It didn't oxidize at all, the color remained the same all day. My biggest complaint is that its oily, I have no idea how anyone can wear this without using a powder to set on top (I use the Laura Mercier one and still had to blot within an hour!). Overall...
Pros:
- perfect color match
- didn't irritate my skin or break me out
- good coverage, buildable
- looked great in photos and in person
Cons:
- my combo skin got shiny and I had to blot almost immediatly
- streaky application that was hard to blend
- not very long lasting
- my face felt greasy with it on
Overall, it was decent foundation and I can see why this would rank high with some ladies. However, for me, it was too heavy and I got oily and shiny really fast. I prefer the Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk foundation instead.

on 8/27/2011 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I'm an NC37/NC40 using shade 128. I don't love this foundation, nor do I hate it. I feel that it's so-so. It's lasting power isn't that long but I have very oily skin even with primer under this it doesn't help much. It feels liquidy and sheer but had a good amount of coverage on it.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really wanted to like this since I LOVE LOVE LOVE the HD powder (it looks amazing over Doir AirFlash btw).

I was luckly, I didn't actually buy this. I was on the hunt for a new makeup (a common state for me, still looking for my holy grail) and the girl at Shepora recommended this to me. She put some on over my freshly washed and moisturized only skin (I was expecting to go makeup shopping so I wore nothing for the best color match). At first it was ok, coverage was decent and the color wasn't too bad. She gave me a couple days worth sample, some blush and mascara and I went off to work.

Fast forward a couple of hours (literally like 2 hours) and I go to the ladies room where washing my hands I casually look up and discover I have a very strong orange tint to my skin. Horrified doesn't even begin to explain my reaction. I guess this product has a bad habit of oxidizing on oily skin and turning dark/oragne rather quickly. As the day progressed it started getting gopey and just .....ewwww. So yeah..... Next day I tried Macy's and bought some Chanel instead (HD powder worked great with that too :)

on 8/25/2011 3:29:00 AM

At first I really liked this foundation because it always looked really good right after I applied it. But after a few months I began to notice that the staying power is pretty bad. I would say it stays put for maybe 4 hours at most. Maybe because I have oily skin, or maybe not. Also, I notice that the foundation tends to get darker/oxidizes after a few hours. On days where I have dry patches on my face, I think this foundation accentuated the dryness. Definitely a no-no for me.

I used up about 2/3 of the bottle and really couldn't stand it anymore and decided to get a new foundation (with SPF!!) even though I really wanted to finish the bottle (because it was pretty expensive). Gave it 3 lippies because I didn't love it nor hate it.

on 8/20/2011 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

A good foundation, but the price is ridiculous. I like the build-able coverage and the silky, feeling it has, it feels almost like a primer instead of a cakey, chalky foundation. It gives a nice, almost luminous glow which I like. I've struggled with foundations for years, constantly searching for the right one and never finding it. I've never re-purchased a foundation before, because they all work horribly with my oily skin! This being no exception. After a few hours of having it on it just starts looking and feeling oily. It is deff not the worst foundation I've ever tried but isn't my HG either. I would give it a 3.5 if I could. The search continues...