Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

on 1/7/2011 3:25:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I am disappointed with this. The reviews were good and I thought this would be a good gel liner. I like the packaging and the brush, and that's about it. First off, it's not very pigmented. It goes on slightly sheer and you have to keep going over the line to make it black enough. Most importantly it is NOT waterproof or smudgeproof. This stuff smudged all over the place after just 2 hours. Also, I've worn it twice and had the same result. It ended up migrating to my upper eyelid, under my eyes, faded, all just a mess. I would have to set this with a black shadow to make it last longer and that should not be the case. I shouldn't have to add an extra step when I'm going for a quick and minimal look. I got it for almost ten dollars, and that's just too much for this crap. I regret buying this and will NOT buy again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was getting ready to go out and buy some more of the pricier makeup for the 'average' girl. One of the items I was going to buy was some MAC fluid gel eyeliner (I LOVE their eyeliner). However, I decided that I haven't looked at the drug store makeup in a couple of years. I found this eyeliner & I do like it a lot (I got blackest black). It goes on easily and smoothly and precisely like MAC's fluid gel eyeliner. The brush that comes with this product is a small flat round paneled brush & it is suitable to use with it, but I prefer the more dense angled brush I used with my MAC liner (which I bought separately so I use it with this Maybelline liner.

Maybelline's eyeliner IS a nice alternative to MAC's fluid gel eyeliner; However
Cons:
1.) This eyeliner starts absorbing into my eyelids & fades away by the middle of the day; I don't have this problem with MAC's liner. By the end of the day, it looks gray.
2.) I bought "Blackest black", but it's not as black as I would have hoped it to be. I like BLACK eyeliner or dark brown eyeliner & nothing in between, so that's more of a personal disliking.

I'm still inclined to just spend the extra $5-$8 to get MAC's fluid gel eyeliner, but I'm not opposed to buying this again. It's a great product for the price!

UPDATE: The longer I used this liner; the more I disliked it. It smudges easily but does not wash away easily. The fading of it after a few hours is very annoying. I thought I would buy it again if I had to, but nevermind. I'll stick to a higher end gel liner next time.

on 1/5/2011 11:02:00 AM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I'm big on Stila Smudgepots, but I'm poor, so this is a good substitute. Very workable and long lasting. Not 'quite' as good staying power at my Smudgepot, but a little black eyeshadow lined overtop helps make it last longer. Fades a bit after a long day, but what do you expect for $4.50.

on 1/5/2011 8:41:00 AM

I bought this in Aubergine. A good purple to go with my Lancome palette. Has a smooth texture and is very easy to work with which is great considering my inexperience with anything but pencil liner. Color fades a bit after about 8 hours but there is still plenty on my lid. I don't look like I lost my liner! The brush that comes with the product is excellent, beats my Aveda e/l brush hands down. I am going to repurchase again soon, as I want the brown shade also. I'll repost after I see how long and how well it lasts in the jar

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love this gel eyeliner! I have the MAC creme base that can be used as a eyeliner, and ive also tried Bobbi Brown's version of this....and this is MUCH better than either of these products.

it has a smooth application, stays on all day, easy to apply, comes with a great brush...and can be used for a number of looks. ive used this as an eyeliner, eyeshadow, black lipstick, and to thicken lashes to make them appear fake.

things to note:
1. the brush needs to be wiped off after every application (i just use a baby wipe to get off the excess liner), this keeps it from getting hard and flakey
2. if you are worried about it coming off, use a pencil liner at the lashline then go over with the gel liner
3. if you think its too "shiny" then go over with black eyeshadow (this also keeps the liner from smudging
4. great to blend into eyeshadow.
5. it dries out (and i have had mine for months and have not experienced this) there are a few things you can do: keep it away from extreme temperatures (super cold and super hot will change the chemicals in it), you can always mix with a tiny bit of vaseline, that will bring it back to life.

I wil

on 1/4/2011 10:20:00 AM

I am a novice at tightlining, and was looking for a good pencil to use. I bought one and tried it and got total racoon eyes. So I thought I'd try some sort of gel/liquid- see if that worked better. I was just browsing at walmart and found this and I love it!!

Even for a novice like me (this is my third day tightlining, counting the day it totally failed with the pencil). After doing more research for tightlining tutorials (thanks MUA board!!!) I tried it with this gel eyeliner and it is FABULOUS!!

Yesterday (my first day with using it) my eyes were watery because of my contact lenses. I tightlined and it didn't go smeary or get in my eyes/contacts or transfer to my lower waterline or give me racoon eyes- at all the whole day. Even with my watery eyes!!!

I was a little afraid of removing it, as I HATE greasy eye makeup removers, but it came off with just my regular washing my face well. YAY!!

Today I had less time and my tightlining job wasn't as good- not enough practice yet, but the liner stayed where I put it.

I got the most black one (Can't remember what it's officially called, LOL), and it looks great with my eyelashes.

I don't usually wear black eyeliner on my upper lids, but if I did I would wear this one!

Now, I've only had this for 2 days, so I don't have the experience of it drying out or the brush going wonky, so I may re-review and add more.

It comes with it's own brush, which I liked- it's short for easier close up control (imho) and since I didn't already have a brush that was awesome!

So far, for my tightlining purposes, this one fits the bill! I may still try to find a truly waterproof pencil for this purpose....but right now this works great.

on 1/3/2011 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is just okay. I've heard great things about the Wet N Wild one but blew it off 'cause it looked cheap. Well I was wrong. Out of the two this one is the "bad" one. The color pay off of the Maybelline one is just lousy. It's supposed to be a black but all I get is a soft black, almost grey, color from it. It also smears easily. While this would be "ok" for a natural look, I wouldn't buy it again due to this.

It's good but not great. I bought mine in Blackest Black. It comes with a not-so-fine brush that seems a little tricky but it's workable. At first, I really liked it but, after a while, the product began to dry in the bottle and the brush went from neat to messy. The liner itself was not as smooth as I wanted it to be since it was a gel eyeliner... but the results were good and pigmented.

on 1/2/2011 12:35:00 AM

I bought the black color in October and have used it off and on since. I liked the brush a lot then, but since then the bristles have gotten less firm and it is harder to apply. The color isn't the most intense I've tried (Wet N Wild's cream eyeliner is definitely darker) but I think it goes on smoothly and stays on well especially if you use a primer.

on 1/1/2011 11:01:00 PM

i have this in black and the color is not as intense or smooth as i wanted. i find it hard to get a smooth application (no gaps) unless i use A LOT of product which then makes it smudge so much more than it already does. i tried using it with a primer under it but it still smudged. by the end of a 5 hour party i had spotty fading and smudges under my eyes. also made my brush extremely stiff after using it. i think bobbi brown or mac fluidline is a better buy bc one pot will alst you a while and save you money on primers and stress from smudging

Video Reviews & Tutorials