NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 7/27/2010 10:01:00 PM

I love absolutely everything about this product except the packaging. The formula is thin and light but gives great coverage. My skin feels soft and has a dewy glow to it after application. The only bad aspect about this, is that there is no pump for the bottle. You would be literally pouring the liquid foundation out. A pump for NARS foundations is available for $6 on their website, that is on top of the $50CAD I paid for the foundation itself.

on 7/26/2010 3:57:00 AM

Ok so first I have to say that I'm not the best for reviewing foundations because I haven't really tried too many.
The thing I do love about this fndn is that it looks great when i first apply it and it's quite easy to apply. I think it does a good job in evening out my skin tone and it just looks good.
But, I don't think it's too long lasting because it doesn't really control my oil too well. I don't know if it's b/c it's the summer but I don't even really have too oily of skin! I have to use mattifying powder after like 3 hours...
Also, another big important factor for fndt for me is that it has to look good in photos. It leaves a white cast on me so I'm not happy with that so I don't think I'll repurchase. I'll probably update on how this lasts on me during the winter.
The Nars SA also matched me up with a shade that's too light for me. I got punjab and it doesn't look horribly light on me in person but I can kind of notice that it's not a perfect match.
I'm actually going to try out Shu's face architect b/c i hear it's great for photos and it has a good review overall so I'll do a comparison on that.
So like I said, my 2 biggest issues is that it makes me feel oily after only a few hours and it leaves a white cast on my face in photos which i can't stand!

UPDATE AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS
i have to say that I def won't be repurchasing Sheer glow b/c it simply doesn't last too long. I compared it to my shu uemeura face architect and while sheer glow has more of a coverage, it lasts half as long. After a few hours my face feels really oily and it's like melting off my face. and my face is combo but on the dry side! i use this only when i know i'll be out for a few hours b/c i don't want to waste it but i do like it's coverage and finish.

Pros:
-Makes my skin glow like nobody's business
-Last for a good 8 hours (unless i'm waitressing, and am sweating, than it lasts about 5 hours)
-great coverage
-great color match
-it's lasted forver. i got it last january and there is still a lot left!
-didn't break me out (i still have my usual acne, but it didn't break me out worse)

Cons:
-my skin is oily and it doesn't really help control it, but it also doesn't make it more oily
-expensive (for my budget, anyways)
-i wish it were in a pump bottle (but it's no biggie)

it recommends applying with your hands (i usually only do this when i'm in a rush), but i apply it with my MAC stippling brush. it looks best with the stippling brush, but using your hands looks just as good. i would recommend putting a light powder over it if your have oily skin like me.

on 7/25/2010 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

When I first bought this, I thought it was OK but didn't like the packaging. I went on the NARS website and bought the pump, and I'm using less. One pump is enough, no waste, and I find I use less and get enough coverage.

on 7/25/2010 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I bought this product about 6 months ago and so far I'm pretty impressed. I still have about half the bottle left which is pretty good since I use it everyday.
Many people recommend applying it with fingers since your skin warms the product up but I prefer to use make up brushes. I use a MAC 187 to apply, it can look a little streaky but when you use a fluffy brush to put your powder on, on top it looks perfect.
I find that the product reaches it's maximum potential when used with NARS primer and the NARS loose powder; however, I've used it with MAC powders and Urban Decay primers and it looks great too.
It didn't break me out at all, infact it improved my skin! Sometimes I even sleep in it when my skin is breaking out because I find the foundations helps my skin heal.

The only reason I give it 4/5 is because sometimes it can excentuate dry paches and I will forever be looking for a HG foundation.

For reference I'm the colour Punjab and I have combination skin prone to break outs.

on 7/24/2010 10:31:00 PM

FINALLY! I got my hands on this when I saw it up for auction on Ebay for a relatively cheaper price. **Now, I know others may have a problem with ebay, but I find it perfectly fine as long as you make sure that the seller has good ratings and feedbacks. And plus, most likely you will find awesome deals/prices for these high end makeups.

Some background on my skin type. I am pretty oily, mostly on the t-zones, and just normal everywhere else. So as you may think, I was def. worried that this would make me look like a grease ball. Im also a MAC NC 35-40. I got this in the shade Stromoli, only because it has a yellow undertone to it, and I was afraid that Barcelona would come out too dark or even peachy on me. Id rather get a foundation that is lighter, and just be able to fix it up with some bronzer. That way, I can use it both in the summer and also winter.

I apply this foundation with my hands (sanitized), just so that I can warm up the foundation and allow it to blend in better with my skin. My initial reaction is, it honestly at first doesn't give me the 'glow', more of a satin-like finish, but after a couple of hours, instead of making me the grease ball look, the 'glow' that everyone talks about finally shows up, even with the 100 degrees weather outside, it managed to look nice and not greasy whatsoever. And with that, I definently find that this foundation gives me a natural look, as the Revlon Colorstay look cakey.

A little goes a long way, its definently buildable. I keep it pretty sheer, because I don't like the overly done face. Just as long as my skintone is evened out, Im okay with it.

I would def. repurchase it. Whether on Ebay or Nars, I wouldn't mind, because I def. think that this foundation is worth the money. The best part about it is that it doesn't have SPF, so when it comes to photographs, it doesn't give my face that pale mask-like look.

OH! And so far, no breakouts whatsoever. I've been using it for a couple days in a row, and so far, Im loving it!

on 7/24/2010 10:02:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Omg this product totally lived up to its hype! I'm NC30/35 and purchased the colour Punjab online; great match.

I normally use MAC Studio Fix Powder and was a little bit weary of trying this out because I do tend to get an oily t-zone; but this foundation is a-mazing!! It gives even coverage, very light and easy to work with, you will end up with such a nice, healthy glow - and if I do feel my face is looking too shiny I just dust on some of MAC's Mineralize Skinfinish Powder (Medium) and it works perfectly.

on 7/23/2010 5:51:00 PM

This is my Holygrail foundation. I used to use flawless by Prescriptives(Tawny) until Prescriptives went out of business. Then I used Mac Studio Scupt(NC 44) which covered well but came off too easy and made me breakout.
I use Sheer Glow in Tahoe. It feels weightless on the skin but
covers so well and only a little bit is needed. I use this without powder. At the end of the day my makeup still looks great (8 + hours).
My skin is lighter in the fall/winter so I now use syracuse and my skin looks flawless.

I really like the coverage of this foundation, but I can't use it every day. Unless I'm very moisturized it does look a little dry and I break out easily so I try to stick with organic foundations like Tarte on a daily basis. I do use this though for nights out and special occasions. If my skin wasn't so sensitive I would definitely use it more often.

on 7/23/2010 7:59:00 AM

Wow!
This foundation is by far the best I have ever owned.
It's so hard to find a foundation to match my skin, but this in deauville is a perfect match. My skin is acne prone and this foundation has medium coverage and does NOT break me out <3
I gave in to all the hype and paid $99AUD :(
But in my opinion is worth it 100%.
I always use my fingers to apply foundation but a stippling brush makes the foundation application flawless.
If you don't have this BUY IT!!!! :)

Video Reviews & Tutorials