December 19, 2014 | 839 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2004 9:22:00 AM More reviews by Kathleen11

I've been searching for a perfect foundation for about 20+ years and this is the closest I've come. I have combo skin and this product makes my skin look its best. I'm very pale so I use #1 and it is a perfect match. I don't like the bottle - has a weird spatula thing - but other than that it's amazing. I'm on my 3rd bottle and love it. Their concealer is the best too. The only one I've tried that never sinks into lines or dries out the skin around my eyes. Try the concealer if you get the chance!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2004 8:42:00 AM More reviews by shavon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

With a mattifier under my -zone, & this makeup on top, I can go about 4 hrs. w/out a touch-up. That's good for my oily skin. I like the creamy, thick-ish consistency. It gives med-full coverage. If I've time, I put 2 thin layers on my T-zone w/ a 5 min. wait in between. Sometimes I use a "luminizing" powder over to mitigate the flat matte look somewhat. Don't like the goofy curved spatula inside, so I decanted some into a sample jar. If you like a thicker liquid & are looking for coverage, try it. It has SPF 20 too. $36 at Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2004 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Kirstin99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, this foundation is amazing. I'm constantly on the hunt for the perfect foundation for my combination skin. I have a very oily, shiny T zone and very dry cheeks. It is hard to find something that addresses both of these problems. I also prefer a very matte, medium coverage. This foundation fits that bill. It lasts all day on me and I get only a tiny bit of shine by the afternoon (I use MAC blot powder for that). I love the finish - it is nearly flawless. My only complaint is the bottle with the funky curved wand. I prefer a pump. I've been using either a foundation brush or sponge to apply this. I am a MMM (NC35) and am using #2.

I'm not sure that this is my HG but it is the closest I've ever come to finding it. I LOVE this and will, without a doubt, repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2004 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Scatterot

I love this foundation! I have been trying out many foundations and this may very well be my HG foundation. It gives excellent coverage. My sister even commented on how it makes my skin look clear. I have acne scars and this covers them up very well. My only complaint is that my bottle leaks and for the cost of this I don't want to be wasting any of it.

Update: I live in Texas and it gets VERY hot. I went to a party with no AC and this stuff seemed to melt right off. I'm going to have to start looking for a new foundation because this isn't going to work in the summer. I still recommend it though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2004 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Scarlett_Canada

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is el-garbagio. I should have never strayed from my HG, but I read the raves on here, and I thought maybe my oily skin would truly be saved forever.

First of all, the colour selection sucks. The MA recommended one that is far too dark for my skin and now I'll have to buy a base to counteract the J-LO foundation. 2nd of all, I didn't notice any lack of oilies - same ole, same ole. Thirdly it's very heavy and feels "fake" on my skin.

I usually love Make Up For Ever products, but I don't like this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2004 6:56:00 AM More reviews by anne003

I think at last I may have found my HG foundation in the MUFE mat velvet. After using La prairie caviar concealor foundation for the last 6 months and being fairly impressed with it, although the downside was that even the lightest shade porcelain blush was a bit too pink on me. I decided to try Mat velvet after reading the rave reviews on here, and wasn't disappointed. It goes on just as well as la prairie, as it is very creamy, and gives excellent buildable coverage which is def medium to heavy side. Also loved that the colour choice available is more yellow based, rather than pink which suits me perfectly.I have this in the lightest shade available 8 ivory, and it blends in to perfection.I highly recommend this one, and will definately repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2004 6:19:00 AM More reviews by chi77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried the tester at the counter and fell instantly in love with its "velvety" texture. It goes on really smooth and covers flawlessly. My perfect match was 01 Porcelain (LLL with neutral undertone). This is great for oily/combi/acne-prone skin cause it goes on very matte. **UPDATE** After trying liquid foundations for over a decade, I must say that this is one of the best in COVERAGE and texture. After trying the tester more than a month ago, I decided to splurge on a bottle just before Christmas. I adore this and it's definitely my HG. The shade 01 is perfect (NC20 MAC Studiofix, Revlon Colorstay "Buff", Chanel DPF "limpide", Estee Double Wear "Bone"). It wears the entire day, does not feel heavy and does not oxidize and better still - NO BREAKOUT! I am truly very pleased for the first time that I've finally managed to find a great foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2004 6:08:00 PM More reviews by c_cassano

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

wow, great foundation :) it has spf 20, evens out my skin tone completely, covers blemishes, and does not clog my pores or cause break-outs (if anything, it may be preventing pimples). it looks pretty natural and stays matte for a long time if used with a light dusting of powder overtop. i do have to touch up with powder every so often throughout the day, but that's fine because it's not realistic to believe any foundation product will keep your face matte for 12 hours, unless it's the consistency of plaster! the shade i have is Ivory 8, which matches my skintone perfectly. i have never liked liquid foundations in the past but this one has totally changed my mind.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2004 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Leny0979

I really like this foundation. It covers my imperfections and yet does not make me look too made up. The texture is thick but it does not make my skin feels suffocated. It also does not cause breakouts. I like that it has spf 20 and I found the perfect color match in #1. I still have to blot about 3 to 4 times a day, which to me is still okay since I used to blot more often when I use other foundation. I will definitely re-purchase this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2004 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Pamann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

(update/edit) I've now used this foundation for over a year, and am elevating it to HG status. My skin type: oily/ combo/ acne prone.I also have large pores on my nose and immediate cheek area.This does not break me out. I would describe the coverage as full to medium- it easily and naturally covers any skin discoloration or blemish without any additional concealer.
It has a lot of slip to it(silicones) which gives me the smoothest finish I've ever accomplished. Also very long lasting--if I apply PC skin balancing moisturizer under, my skin stays mostly matte all day! SPF of 20 with Titanium Dioxide. I do apply additional sunscreen under(not to my T, however).The best foundation ever! Many, many repurchases!!