December 22, 2014 | 747 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2010 2:35:00 PM More reviews by letseat

I've been using this for 6months and it's overall a fantastic foundation. I have sensitive dry skin and this oil free formula is still great on my skin.

What I really like about it is;

-the consistency - very easily to apply using foundation, kabuki or fingers! nars foundations have a warmth activator where you get more of a natural finish using your fingers

-coverage - although it says sheers it's rather medium.

-photography - perfect for photos as ur face doesn't appear white in photos as with all Nars products

On the other hand, which is a minor problem but it's not suitable for a day look unless you hardly put n e on. Also the colour range is rather strange - it suddenly drops to a deep colour between Fiji, Punjab to Barcelona.

I'm using Barcelona but I mix it with my MUFE foundation which is too light and I wear this day and night time.

***CHANGED TO 5 STARS***
i'm using this again since i'm super tanned now, and i don't mix it with any other foundation. i use it day and night time and it is superb! people have been commenting on how great my skin looks.

for the day i use my fingers to apply for a more natural look. for night i use a brush then my fingers as this has more coverage.

the most important thing is that this doesn't clog my skin :D i will be buying the fiji coloured in winter when i'm lighter :D

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 2:32:00 PM More reviews by kewlhat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have finally discovered my HG foundation. I have tried both NARS Sheer Glow and NARS Sheer Matte and Glow beats Matte, hands down. I have combination skin-- my t-zone is incredibly oily while my cheeks are dry and flaky. SG actually controlled my oil better than SM and had much better coverage (sheer to medium). [It's also very buildable for heavier coverage.] I like that it's really easy to work with and spread around my face, and it doesn't accentuate my flaky areas on my cheeks like SM did. My BF said that this foundation made my skin look the most natural out of any foundation I've tried thus far!

For reference I use LM Translucent Loose powder to set. I'm a medium olive skin tone and I use SG in Stromboli.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2010 12:48:00 PM More reviews by Samanthazahra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This foundation has been fantastic for me during the australian winter where my skin flips and goes from combination to dry. it gives me the finish and coverage i want. something buildable but not cakey, evens out my complexion and leaves it looking like real, healthy skin. im an nc25, light-medium skin with pink undertones. sante fe i believe is described as having a peach undertone which completely helps cancel out the redness in my face. if you have yellow undertones and are around nc25, fiji would definately be a better choice.

this is catered for dry skin and i love the formula as it just glides on effortlessly and feels hydrating. makes it so easy to work with your fingers for a flawless finish (which is how it is recommended). if you have oily skin i dont think this would be suitable, as i noticed it does start to sloth around my nose area if i don't keep it nice and matte. but at the moment im loving it because it smooths out my complexion so beautifully, where most foundations hilights the dryness in your face (MUFE HD, Shu uemera FA for me). i completely agree however, that this bottle definately needs a pump, it gets so messy.

i think the secret to this foundation however, is that LESS IS DEFINATELY MORE. i find if you apply too much, the excess will just slide around the face, especially in oily areas. use concealer to help cancel out uneveness and use this to create a healthy complexion and it will work like a dream.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2010 12:05:00 PM More reviews by laqueron1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok...Great product. Only two problems: The shade selections for NC40's-NC44's stink and I wish it had a pump. I wear shade Barcelona because Syracuse has too much pink/peach pigment, so fo you NC42/43 girls with yellow coloring, Syracuse might not look right. I use a dime size amount for my entire face with concealer (a little) and use either my studiofix powder or Msf skinfinish natural with MUFE HD powder to seal and it looks great....but to make sure it doesn't look too light, I add a little bronzer and I'm good to go! For Reference I am MAC NC42/43.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2010 6:52:00 AM More reviews by bubbalinax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hmm...

I heard so much about this product, and I must say, I don't really think it's so awesome.

To start, it DOES cover imperfections and spots well, but it didn't give my face a noticable glow.

Infact, my face was quite grey and dull (and I have olive, reasonably clear skin)

It blends well, and the colour was alright (however, I do believe the colour didn't give my skin enough vibrance).

I like this product, but the price is too high. I much prefer other foundations from Estee Lauder!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2010 12:08:00 PM More reviews by flchick75

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Love the color barcelona for covering up any dark spots on my face and evening out skin color BUT this product is way over hyped in my opinion. It doesn't make your skin glow, I have no idea where that came about. I think everyone just jumps on the "love bandwagon" along with others instead of independantly thinking half the time. This is no different than any other average foundation but the price isn't so average. But on the other hand, maybe it's just my skin. Try it for yourself!! Personally, I'll stick to my MAC studio fix

Packaging: Messy and the lid never screws on tight. The product gets gunked up around the sides and in the cap. Not so pleasant.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2010 8:29:00 AM More reviews by LauraJean396

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really enjoy this foundation. I feel like I look a little to wet... not exactly dewy but wet... My husband said that I looked extremely shiny... SO I have to figure out a way to keep the dewy finish and not look wet, but overall one of my favorite foundations. I reach for this more than all others!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2010 8:02:00 AM More reviews by Beauty0Marked

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Skintone: Roughly a MAC NW15, who leans more neutral than pink.

Skin Type: I have dry/very dry skin with very occasional small flakey patches around mouth and forehead. I am not prone to breakouts but have some slight sensitivity on cheeks. My major skin concern is dullness and uneven complexion. I am in my late 20s.

Other foundations I have tried: Chanel Pro-Lumiere, Chanel Vitalumiere (crème), Dior Nude Skin, Face Atelier, L'Oreal Truematch, NARS Sheer Glow, Revlon Colorstay (the Normal/Dry formula and Oily/Combination), Revlon Photo Ready, MAC Face and Body, MAC Matchmaster, MUFE Face and Body, MUFE HD, MUFE Liquid Lift, MUFE Mat Velvet +

I will say it straight out, I am not a fan of this at all, though I thought I would be HG material since I have skin and so many people rave about it.

Having always preferred and bought yellow-toned foundation over the pink tones that should theoretically suit my skintone better, I decided I would go ahead and get Mont Blanc. It's not a bad match but pink tones never look very natural on me. In reality I am more neutral toned and yet defintely cool so I went through a spate of buying pink tones. The good thing about NARS is that they have nice neutral shades and figure Siberia would have been a good match. To be honest I'm not that interested in finding out because I do not like this foundation at all.

The finish of this foundation is incredibly mask-like regarless of how little I apply. I knew it wouldn't be sheer coverage when I bought it and I do prefer a fuller coverage foundation. I just don't know why they would use the word sheer in its name at all.
The foundation is recommended for normal/dry skin though I know a lot of oiler skinned people also love this.
The foundation itself applies smoothly enough. The consistency is thick-ish without being too thick. I find that after about an hour of wear it looks very odd on my skin and just sits on it in a very unflattering way, almost creased looking. I have tried many different of applying, and found fingers is best but no matter how I apply this I will always get that icky finish after an hour.

The packaging is atrocious. I don't know if I got a a dud bottle but the cap seems pretty useless. It's like I can't screw it on tightly, it just keeps spinning around and around. I am not a huge fan of NARS packaging in general anyway as I find it gets marked far too easily. This is easily remedied by giving it a wipe after use but this way I am forever cleaning the packaging which I would prefer not to have to do quite so often. I also really dislike that this doesn't come with some kind of pump. For the price I paid for this stuff I would at least expect a pump.

I think that there are far better foundations on the market that give a far superior finish for my dry skin than this one (with my favourite being by Revlon and Chanel), so after I have finished this up I will not even consider buying it again. All in all, very expensive for such a mediocre product.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/1/2010 1:56:00 AM More reviews by feelinblushed

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A friend of mine had wonderful things to say about NARS Sheer Glow Foundation so I thought I would give it a try. Although the colour suits me just fine, I really do not like the texture. It feels quite thick and oily. After applying the foundation with my fingers, it takes A LOT of soap to rinse off. The coverage is full NOT sheer . I used Bobbi Brown Skin foundation and LOVED it!! I am very disappointed with this foundation. The packaging is terrible as well... NO PUMP!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2010 11:49:00 PM More reviews by daijy1234

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

MY HG FOUNDATION!!!!
I have searched far a wide for a foundation that would do what this one does!
I have redness on my cheeks (not roscea) that I need to get rid of, which is what I look for primarily in a foundation. This foundation covers the redness perfectly!!
I have sensitive skin - most foundations give me these 'little bumps' after 1 day of use - this one did not!!
I have skin that is prone to flaking when a foundation is applied - this foundation remained on my skin without any flaking and looked gorgeous in the sun and out of the sun!
I like to analyze my skin at an uncomfortably close distance - this foundation made my skin still look like skin..and not like makeup/cake-ness.
I don't like a foundation that feels heavy. This foundation is extremely lightweight. I shake the bottle with my finger on the top, put half a dab on each cheek, then I go back and put 1/2 a dab on my forehead, 1/4 on my nose and the other 1/4 remaining on my chin. This is all you need!!!!

For all those wanting a pump -- the nars website has just listed that a pump is now available for 6.00 USD. I am not sure of what it'll be in Canada (probably $7.00 like the MAC pumps), but please be advised that the reason why a pump was not originally sold with the product is because 1) Francois Nars believed the best tools are the fingers. He believed that with a pump, people would probably use tools with the product, which is not how he intended the product to be used. (Please be advised that if you have oily skin, you should never use your fingers, as the oils from your fingers are something you probably do not want additionally on your face) and 2) The product is water-based. The addition of a pump may affect the way the product is distributed within the bottle. Separation may occur -- this is why on the bottle it specifies that the user should shake before every use. If you don't use this everyday and you have a pump, the product within the tube leading to the top of the pump may separate over time, affecting the product that comes out of the pump itself.

27 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No