April 20, 2014 | 1962 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2007 10:22:00 AM More reviews by lauradfromnc

I bought this to go with the purity cleanser. It was part of a "best of" package on sephora.com . Although I like the cleanser, I will not be buying the moisturizer again. There is nothing wrong with it, but I don't think it is worth the money. It is very lightweight and really really non-greasy. It is almost like putting on a mousse of air and moisture. However, the jar did not last very long at all and for my dry skin there are so many other products that have worked better. It suggests that it has a brightening effect but I haven't seen that at all. The herbal smell doesn't bother me, but I think it would irritate some people's skin. I like philosophy because it seems so back to earth and be true to yourself with its marketing, but the truth is this product isn't worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2007 4:49:00 AM More reviews by dixiegirl01

Love this stuff! It is a must have staple for me. I have tried TONS of other moisturizers: Lancome, Orgins, Estee Lauder, drugstore brands, and none come close to Hope in a Jar.
It is so light weight, and absorbs quickly. I never feel like there is an oil slick sitting on my face and I have to wait a few minutes until "soaks" in. After putting it on, my skin has a very healthy, rosy glow and feels plump-very hydrated.
My skin is crazy: both oily and dry, and sensitive, too. I haven't had any "issues" using this product in am and pm.. The moisturizer contains beta glucans and lactic acid, which aids in sloughing off dead skin cells and drawing moisture (water) into the skin. After using the product for 2 weeks, I could tell a difference in the texture of my skin.
The price is $38/2oz. It costs more than drugstore but less than Lancome. Since it doesn't contain sunscreen, I can use it daytime with my mineral makeup and at night. It saves money on not having two different products to buy or pack when traveling.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2007 5:38:00 PM More reviews by awesomegirl

Everyone is complaining about the smell, but I don't mind it! This stuff makes your skin really nice and glowy. Because of that, I really liiked it at first, but then my skin started getting itchy and red, which NEVER happens to me, no matter what product I use. I don't have sensitive skin, so it's very strange that it would effect my skin this way. On the other hand, it may not be the cream at all, maybe I just have some wierd rash! Anyway, I definitely recommend trying it, it does make your skin look really nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2007 11:29:00 AM More reviews by Smashbox80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

In general i think this product is excellent. It isn't dirt cheap but it also is not overpriced. It truly delivers its promise by smoothing my skin and giving an allover glow to my face. A little goes a long way and i find this works best for me at night when my skin repairs itself. I have oily sensitive acne-prone skin and have never found that this product causes breakouts or oil slicks. I have also taken to using it on the backs of my arms because the lactic acid helps smooth the "chicken skin" i have.
My only complaint would be that i can't get this product to close to my eyes because the scent irritates them and makes them water. Closing my eyes while i apply the product prevents this and so i will continue to purchase it for a long time.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2007 1:42:00 AM More reviews by Gwen67

Ok, I had to say a quick word about this stuff! I had a sample of this and used it a couple of times on my face....whatever. It seems a lot of people break out from this stuff, so I stopped using it not wanting to risk breaking out my face at the time. Anyway, I really enjoyed the light and silky texture of the stuff so I started putting it under my eyes underneath a rather dry concealer I was using there. I then started using it at night as well just for the hell of it. And lo and behold after a week or so of doing this, I can actually see a difference!!

Granted, I am only 22 so I don't have many wrinkles or anything, but I did inherit undereye bags and very dark undereye circles from my mother. This has seriously tightened up the skin there completely! And for reference, I slept about 4 hours last night, spent 10 hours at school in class and studying, sat in front of the comp. for a long while, and it's now 3:40am.....there is NO puffiness AT ALL under my eyes right now, which is definitely not the norm for me!

So yeah, I'm liking the way this is working, even if it's not what it's intended for. I can't tell as yet if it has or will lighten my undereye circles, but I'm excited now to continue and see.

Maybe someone can advise me if there is some negative effect that can be had from my using it close to my eyes?? As much as I like it, I'm not going to be an idiot about it :)

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2007 9:35:00 PM More reviews by LuckE3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this stuff in the late 90s in a kit when on vacation overseas. Anyone else remember a face cleansing bar that Philosophy used to sell? Just wondering. Anyway, a few weeks ago I picked this stuff up on a whim. What a waste of money! I remember it being way thicker, a lot like the When Hope is Not Enough stuff Philosophy sells now. And the scent was more health-food than faux-lavender that it is now. It did nothing for my skin, left it dry, flakey yet greasy. My skin looked red and irritated after using it. No, I would not use this on my skin again. It did nothing, didn't moisturize, didn't help my skin turn over faster, NOTHING. I wonder how come Oprah and Sephora keep heaping praise on this junk?!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2007 4:30:00 PM More reviews by siggie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This goes on silky smooth and a little goes a long way. I've been using it for a year and love it. It delivers on the promised glow and keeps my skin soft especially in the winter. I can see how it can be a bit heavy for the summer, but putting it on shortly after getting out of the shower so I could use even less worked for me. Have and probably will buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2007 9:13:00 AM More reviews by curlygirl901

I don't understand all the negative reviews on this product. Everyone complains about the smell, which I actually find quite soothing. I use this cream at night only, as there is no spf, and find the slight smell of lavender perfect for bedtime. I am a product junkie, and am always searching for the next latest and greatest face cream, but I always seem to come back to this product. I had been using Boscia, which makes some really great products, but their night cream does not give my skin the same glow as Hope in a Jar. It would be nice if the cream were available in a pump form, but that is really my only complaint. A little does go a long way, so the price is quite reasonable compared to other products. And did I mention the radiant, glowing complexion this gives you? Ladies, this product is definitely worth a try! If you don't like it, Sephora will always take it back.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2007 6:01:00 PM More reviews by Habersham

I received HIAJ as a sample along with an order from Sephora, and so thought I'd give it a try as a night cream. I had to limit it to nights because this stuff smells HORRIBLY. I mean I can't even describe what it is, but it's awful. My boyfriend won't come near me and complains from across the room.

I wouldn't pay as much as this stuff costs for what I got. A good night cream that wasn't oily (I typically don't get acne, but I can get some excess oil like a champ), and would have allowed makeup to be smoothly applied over it.

Overall, the smell is the worst thing out there. Unbearable - and I didn't notice any change in my skin texture or wrinkles or anything... Still looking for my HG wrinkle reducer..

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2007 3:02:00 PM More reviews by murphysmomkk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't get it - the hype over this stuff - I HATE it. What a waste of money. Smell (like everyone says) is just horrible. I cannot tell that it does anything for my face. Overall, I think Philosophy products are extremely overrated.