November 26, 2014 | 1662 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2007 11:34:00 AM More reviews by laurentothemax

i'm so on the fence about this product. i use it in conjunction with paula's choice 2% bha and the purity cleanser. sometimes after using hope in a jar i wake up in the morning with glorious, glowing amazing clear skin. other times i wake up with a whole constellation of weird inflamed whiteheads on my cheek. i vacillate so much between nicole kidman and rocky dennis (from mask with cher) that i just want to throw my hands in the air and give up entirely. i suppose i will keep using it until i'm out of this jar, and all hope has run out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 4:32:00 AM More reviews by cheryhouse

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I honestly only bought this mainly because it was sitting so pretty on the counter, i had to have it....i mean...it has a very cute packaging, i tested it out on my hand and ...and..i dunno, i just got it, it felt justified, like it was the right thing to do *shame shame* I don't hate or love it, its not worth what it's priced. Anyways back to the review. The first thing i noticed was the scent, it's really strong, if u don't like perfumed this is not for you, i also don't *mind* that it's in a jar. I tried as a night cream for a while but it was wayy too thick, i didn't break out but i felt like it was clogging my skin because it was very heavy, also the scent kind of got to me me after a while, but it does fade. Ok, now the good things about this cream, the texture is really nice, the consistancy its semi-thick and it's easy to spread, a little goes a long way. It didn't do heck for my face mainly b/c i didn't like how it felt on my face, but it made an excellent hand and elbow/knee cream! my hands and elbows/knees were sooo soft after. i reallly liked it, i just don't know if its worth the $$ for a hand cream? I think i'll use the rest of the jar up and then see if i will repurchase if its worth the cash.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2007 10:46:00 PM More reviews by MariLaPaisa

horrible product. strange consistency, smells horrible. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE HYPE ABOUT THIS PRODUCT! you would think after all the hype they would put this in a more hygienic container.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2007 10:40:00 AM More reviews by chanelxoxo123

I have combination skin that has gotten a lot drier as of late. This is a rather heavy moisturizer and I don't recommend on anyone who doesn't have dry skin. I only use this on dry spots very sparingly. It smells funny and the packaging is not the greatest but it has this nice rich whipped texture that really soaks into the skin without leaving a greasy residue and does an excellent job at moisturizing. It didn't make me break out and it not only helped with dry patches but it also made my skin look glowing after a few days of use.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2007 9:48:00 AM More reviews by joann287

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have oily, sensitive skin (at 48 yrs old). This stuff is THE WORST. Totally heavy on the skin--maybe if you have the driest skin but otherwise--ick. Philosophy has brilliant marketing, saying their stuff is sooooo great; news flash, it's not, it's all marketing. NOT WORTH THE $$$ Don't believe their hype.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2007 8:28:00 AM More reviews by cookiemonster88

I purchased this product after I saw it on the Oprah show, she listed it as one of her favourite things, so I thought if its good enoght for Oprah, Its good enough for me! I really do like this moisturizer, I have combination skin and many moisturizers that I have tried before have left me with enough oil on my face to fry and egg! EWW! Hope in a jar did not have this effect at all! I found it to be just what I needed to keep my skin supple and not dry! The smell is not the nicest! But it fades quickly! It has a nice texture that spreads easily a little goes along way! The one thing I dont like is that fact that HIAJ comes in a jar! I really wish the would put it in a tube, as Its kinda gross sticking your fingers in the jar! I would definately buy HIAJ again, It worked pretty well for me! c",)**

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2007 6:38:00 AM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like a lot of philosophy's products but this one is probably my least favorite. It makes me breakout every single time I use it. I have combo skin that tends to be more oily in the summer and very dry in the winter. My guess is it's the lactic acid in it because their microderm set also makes me breakout and lactic acid is also in it. To be honest the stuff really didn't moisturize that well, the packaging is cheap and the cost is too high.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2007 3:04:00 PM More reviews by vcanady

I actually really like this stuff. I don't mind the smell, but I should mention that I'm generally not a person who notices smells. It makes my skin really smooth and pretty. I would definitly buy again, however two complaints; it could be a bit more moisturizing, because by the end of the day my skin looks kind of dry. Also, the stupid jar thing! Every time I stick my fingers in it, I can't stop thinking about the icky bacteria, etc, that I'm spreading. It is a good product but could definitly be improved,

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2007 12:33:00 PM More reviews by nessa_97

Complete waste of money, at least IMHO. Purchased the small jar at Sephora ($15). I have combination/dry skin that occasionally breaks out - and I needed something to last my all day. This didn't even last me an hour! I tried it for two straight days and got dry patches on my cheeks. My pores became huge and I had these awful lines under my eyes (I am 32, and was looking much, much older). I am going to try a couple of drug store brands - I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on great products!!!

If you have even moderately dry skin - RUN AWAY from this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2007 1:37:00 AM More reviews by habs1820

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I hated this product. I didn't like that it came in a pot, I didn't like the smell and ( shock of all shocks) I didn't like how the product worked. I broke out- not just in those awful under the skin cystic pimples that take forever to surface but in little white bumps as well. Overall, this was "hopeless" and I can't believe it is so popular because it really did not work for me.