Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 1/2/2008 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Oprah uses this one, and has nothing but good things to say about it. You think, Oprah would know her sh*t... she can buy any product she wants, however, she missed the mark on this one!

I have oily skin... prone to breakouts. At 26, I want something for prevention, something that will be good to my skin.

The aroma is that of lavender. I see that alot of ppl don't like the smell, however, I don't mind it at all. It also dissipates quickly. I like the jar application too... it is totally sanitary if you have clean hands when applying it, which you should have anyways when putting on moisturizer. It doesn't sink in and leaves a weird residue. After using my mineral makeup, my skin feels oily already.

Throughout the day, the shininess is AWFUL!! This is not one for oily skin AT ALL, even though it says 'for all skin types' (huge lie... no moisturizer is good for ALL skin types!) Bought it for $50 at Sephora in Canada, and that is too pricey for this product. I've used it twice, and now I will give it away. Shame! Hype in a Jar.

The search continues.

on 1/2/2008 1:27:00 AM

Luckily every jar I have of this has been received in a kit I've bought. I'd never buy this product on its own. First of all, it has on odd scent which I could easily get over if it was actually a good product. The consistency of this moisturizer is different. It feels really wet when applied to the skin but after it soaks in my skin doesn't feel all that moisturized. The main problem I have with this product is that my eyes burn and water like crazy is I use it around the eye area. I looked at the jar and it doesn't say not to use around the eye area but it does recommend hope in a tube. I think there should be a warning on it. Its kind of strange that a line of skincare that is supposed to be medically based and safe for sensitive skin would burn your eyes.

on 1/1/2008 1:40:00 AM

Can you say, "Ewww?" Maybe that's a bit harsh, but honestly for the price it should NOT smell like medicine. I was introduced to Philosophy while watching QVC. Before that I have never even heard of Philosophy. I was always on the lookout for a moisturizer that was, well...moisturizing. I have normal/ dry skin and I used to use mineral makeup until I noticed dry patches on my face. I bought this item in one of their skincare kits, and I was first put off by the strong scent it had. It reminded me of the smell of medicine. It was so overpowering I dreaded puting it on my face, but the dry patches of skin out won the smell. The product seemed to sink into my skin and not feel greasy ~ so far so good. After about a week of using this stuff, I didn't break out either which was another plus. But still, the smell was too overwhelming, even DH didn't want to kiss me as he couldn't stand the smell either. I forgot how much this is by iteslf, as I purchased it in a kit, but if I remember correctly from seeing it at Sephora, it is expensive ($30+), and that is for only 1oz. It comes in a screw top jar that is not hygenic (sp?), especially when one had long nails as it gets under the nails (gross) when trying to dig it out. So, to sum it up...this stuff did moisturize my face w/out any breakouts, but the price is too much for too little of product, and the nasty scent was a major issue for me...will NOT ever repurchase.

on 12/30/2007 4:28:00 PM

Saw this on TV and was looking for a night time moisturizer, so I gave it a try. I really can't understand how this sells at all. The smell alone put me off, but I tried it for a few weeks to see how it worked. Moisturized okay, but no better than many drugstore brands or those from Paula's Choice (also don't smell great because they don't contain fragrance), but for the money, I expected a lot more. I also then realized that one of the ingredients (retinyl palmitate) is not known to be safe for pregnant women (which I am). That was it, and the rest of the jar (which I also don't care much for due to contamination) got pitched into the trash. I've moved on to Clinique Repairware, which also comes in a jar and isn't cheap, but I'm liking it better already after only a couple of days in this very dry winter weather.

on 12/28/2007 10:56:00 PM

After seeing all the rave reviews on TV and magazines, like so many others did, I took the plunge and purchased HIAJ. I have combination skin, and haven't noticed any real positive change in my skin texture or appearance since I began using it. In fact, I'm pretty sure i get little bumps and flare-ups as a result! I really don't like the strong medicine-y smell, nor does my boyfriend. It consistently burns or stings my skin, making it essentially a waste of money :( I tried to be optimistic about this product, perhaps it may work for others, but it's no good for my face.

on 12/27/2007 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

i really tried to like this moisturizer, but it really dried out my skin. the texture feels really nice when i apply it on my face initially, but because of the lactic acid in the ingrediant to exfoliate your face, my skin ends up feeling really dry and flaky. i should also mention that it smells awful too. i would not buy this again.

on 12/25/2007 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this stuff! It works really well for my dry skin. I use it at night before bed and I use Perricone Face Finishing moisturizer during the daytime. Hope In A Jar is very moisturizing and it sinks into the skin quickly. The packaging doesn't bother me. However, it's a little pricey. There is only one negative (and this is the reason I took off one lippy) and that is the SMELL. I hate the way this stuff smells. However, it fades somewhat quickly and I think all the pros of this cream outweigh the con of the smell. I would re-purchase :)

on 12/23/2007 7:54:00 PM

worst moisturizer i have ever used. i had never had skin problems until i tried this ridiculous product. my mum gave it to me for christmas last year and as soon as i started using it my 20somthing, previously clear skin broke out in comedeones and cystic acne almost right away. i had seen it featured on oprah so i fooled myself into thinking that it would eventually get better but 3 weeks into it but NO it totally wrecked my skin and it has never been the same.
have since dabbled with several other products and have settled on la mer.
my point is, this is a horrible product that wrecked my skin. dont bother with it.

on 12/23/2007 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ok, so I love this stuff! Which is a shock to even me. About a year ago, I got a small sample from Sephora---and I hated it. I tried it on, I thought it stunk to high heaven, and it burned my eyes. No more! I said--I had enough. And I put it in a drawer to never be seen from again.

Until one day, about 9 months later...something made me want to try it again. So I slathered it on one night and went to bed. I woke up the next morning, and looked in the mirror. Was it my imagination, or did my skin actually look better? After one night?! This seemed crazy to me.. the changes were subtle, of course, but they were there! There was a nice glow and smoothness to my skin that I had not seen before. Needless to say, I am hooked on this stuff now, and use it every night before I hit the bed. I don't use it for its moisturizing properties--as I find that it does not do a great job of that (and I use Paula's Choice Gel Moisturizer during the day), however, as a night treatment for skin it is AMAZING!!

on 12/21/2007 4:06:00 PM

My mom bought this for me a couple months ago, and I finally decided to give it a try last week. It did moisturized, but it also made me breakout! I have acne prone skin, but I've never had a flair up this bad.