November 24, 2014 | 1145 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2011 3:11:00 AM More reviews by unicorntoy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was so relieved when I found this foundation at Sephora. The color variety was great, and the shade 117 was a perfect match with my skin. The consistency is good and the pump is fabulous. My only vice with this foundation is that it tends to be a bit streaky, and tends to settle into fine lines under my eyes. I've been cursed with combination skin that leans towards the dry side, and this foundation attaches itself to my dry skin (mind you, I use a very good moisturizer before applying it). On the plus side, it provides a good light-medium coverage and it definitely buildable. Would I wear it in winter? No way. But in the summer time when my skin is a bit more hydrated, I'd definitely wear this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2011 5:18:00 PM More reviews by Kimberlyj33110

Run, don't walk to Sephora and buy this. I am about an NC25 in MAC, I chose 118 which seemed to match me pretty good.Beginning with the middle of my face, I stipple on 2-3 pumps with my MAC 187 brush, and then swhirl/blend. Perfect, natural luminous coverage. It is way way too expensive though, and the packaging could be better since you never know when you will run out completely. To all who doubt this product, here's a tip: when I first tried this, I felt it was too sheer, not worth the money; all the same negativity that is listed by reviewers. After using the MUFE for about a week, I switched back to my Mac Studio Fix liquid for a day. WOW. What a difference. What I didn't realize with my Mac was that it started to cake mid day. I didn't realize how heavy it was...next day, back to MUFE HD. So flawless,lasting, non cakey with great coverage... My HG foundation. So to those of you who have tried it before, try it again with this test. I wasn't a believer To those who haven't tried it, give it a go! Also, on extra oily days try some Mac Blot powder in ur tzone after buffing in your MUFE HD Powder :-)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 3:19:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

About me: I have light golden-beige skin (usually around NC20 in MAC) that is combination with an extremely oily t-zone. My nose is especially subsceptible to breakouts and blackheads.

I matched myself to 117, which seems to be a good match. The coverage is medium and buildable. I definitely still need concealer on my undereye circles and spots. I usually apply about one full pump on my face with my fingers, follow with the concealer, and then take a Beautyblender sponge to stipple another half pump to the entire face. This makes my skin look perfect, while still hiding 90% of my flaws.

I find that this applies best on well-moisturized skin (ie absolutely no flakes or patches, as the foundation tends to stick to and accentuate those areas. I did not notice much difference between using a primer and not using one.

The finish is somewhat dewy on me, and is supposed to emulate bare skin. Unfortunately for me, this means I get oily break-through within a couple of hours of wear. I usually have to blot 2-3X during the day when I wear this.

This does photograph quite beautifully -- no white cast or cakiness -- so for that, I do have to give it high marks.

Overall, a very good product, but not holy Grail material for me. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2011 10:28:00 PM More reviews by xieanthe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The best liquid foundation I have used in a long long time. I moisturize first and apply the HD elixir, then use a stippling brush to apply the foundation - it is very easy to over apply it, it only takes a tiny drop to do my whole face. It covers amazingly well, even my rosacea redness disappears. I top it with the HD powder. It lasts all day and I am finally getting compliments on my skin again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2011 9:18:00 PM More reviews by tadeusz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

On good skin days (no flakes, my dry skin is actually hydrated) and dim lighting this stuff looks good on me. On bad skin days (flakey and dry) or broad daylight, not so much. I wanted to love this based on all the great reviews but it made any and every dry patch look worse, its coverage wasn't enough for my scars, it caked up in areas (especially undereyes), and it was expensive to boot. I applied this on top of their HD primer with a brush (once with fingers, but that was a mistake) but still could not get the amazing results a lot of other reviewers were able to get. I guess this foundation just isn't right for my skin type, which is unfortunate because MUFE definitely has a good color selection and I was able to find my perfect shade (#117).

EDIT:
I decided to try out this foundation again and I cannot believe the results I got this time. I tried just about every way to apply this my first time around, except with a duo fiber stippling brush. This one change has made HD go on smoothly and not cake up where I had problems with caking before. 1 pump is enough to cover my entire face, and it no longer emphasizes dry patches unless it's over a pimple. While it does not completely cover my red acne scars, it definitely evens out my skin tone and I just go back over with MUFE full cover concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2011 3:43:00 PM More reviews by LorraineCee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the greatest foundation I have ever used! I've just ran out and decided to buy MAC's studio fix fluid, and it doesn't measure up to MUFE's HD foundation one bit. It has great packaging - LOVE the pump, gives a great luminous look to the skin without looking caked on or looking fake. There is no weird or uncomfortable scent to carry around with you, and a little goes a LONG way. Great staying power as well for me. Will purchase again!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2011 2:14:00 PM More reviews by msred2u42

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wanted to see what all the hype was about , so I got a bottle and I'm sorry, but this is not one of the best foundations on the market. I didn't care for the feel nor the finished look. , Teint Idole Ultra foundation is 10 X better if you want a flawless face with beautiful coverage.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2011 11:36:00 AM More reviews by Jaded11885

I really don't see what all the fuss is about with this product...it works okay but no better than any other pricey foundation. The coverage wasn't great either. I applied it with a damp beauty blender sponge and several different shapes of brushes and it went on the same. Still needed concealer, it broke my face out, and was way too dry for dry skin even after Philosophy Hope In A Jar moisturizer!!! Don't think I'll but it again. Maybe better for someone who has great skin already.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 9:06:00 AM More reviews by dzcml88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is probably the first foundation my skin has felt totally comfortable with. My skin's healing from severe acne and is pretty sensitive and can get oily with the wrong things on. With other foundations - the Mat Velvet + (for comparison's sake), my skin gets more oily than it normally would without something on. And I feel the layer of gunk on my skin, but this one doesn't.
It covers my acne-scarring and problem areas well enough with just one layer. If I was going out, I'd add concealer and probably a bit more of the foundation where needed. I'd class it as light-medium coverage, but very buildable. I don't think it claims to provide full coverage. I haven't experienced any cakey-ness, and it doesn't cling to flakes at all, for me. Maybe it's because I apply with a (damp - when I feel like it) sponge. I absolutely love the finish it gives - dewy - not overly though.

When used in conjunction with the MUFE HD primer, it can really last for a while, despite the humid weather where I am, even without powder over top.

Don't think I have anything bad to say other than that it's a bit pricey and the bottle is quite bulky - not great for travel unlike the Mat Velvet +. I'd still pick this over the Mat Velvet + any day though.

In sum...
Pros:
1) Lightweight and feels like 2nd skin
2) Looks like 2nd skin. Blends right in.
3) Excellent for acne-prone/combination skin. I do not get oily/breakout despite the tropical climate!!!
4) Buildable without looking cakey (when applied correctly, I guess)
5) Gives a lovely not-overly-dewy finish.

Cons:
1) Not the longest lasting foundation without a primer
2) Pretty pricey - but worth it in my opinion.
3) Packaging is not very travel-friendly

Shade: Right now, I'm quite fair, probably an NC25-30/Shu Uemura face architect foundation 754/Mat Velvet + 35 - bit lighter actually. The MUA gave me 127 (was PERFECT), but since I'll be going on holiday, she said to take a 140 to accommodate a bit of a tan. Because it's so lightweight and blends so well, you can't really see the difference. The colour selection available is excellent too.
---
*UPDATE: You get better coverage applying this with a foundation (paddle) brush. I pat it on, then smooth it out. No cakey-ness whatsoever =)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 1:28:00 AM More reviews by rebeccawangxiaoyin

I'm very fond of this foundation. Though I have so many other foundations to try that I can't commit exclusively to this foundation, I don't have any complaint against it. The texture is very nice. The coverage is just right for my liking. There is a wide range of shades to choose from. I've heard others complaining that this looks cakey, but I think the key point is that with this foundation you have to apply very thinly and work it into you skin, rather than apply a whole lot all at once or layer too much on the entire face, which can totally accentuate any dry spot on your face. I'm not sure whether it is claimed as a full coverage foundation, but I find it tend to look not so beautiful, especially in real life, when you try to build this up to the full coverage.