Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

the cones may've initially caused a breakout for me but this seems to have since subsided. i really like this foundation- the lightest is a decent color match and the coverage and finish are excellent.

on 4/12/2007 11:18:00 AM

I'm not sure where in UK I'd be able to buy this, but i chanced upon it whilst on holiday.
My usual, and undisputed holy grail foundation is etee lauder doublewear. However, as luck wold have it, my shade (soft beige) has been discontinued. :( The new shades that have been introduced are not the same and i am left clinging to my last reserves, like absolute gold dust. Bearing this in mind, you can understand how upset i was at seeing the little sample pot of it i'd brought for my holiday- thinking i was being awfully clever bringing just enough, not risking losing the actual bottle, etc- had actually proven very dumb. The stacked screw pots did not behave as expected - my precious foundation had leaked!

This left me desperate. Thank god for mufe foundation. If you have ever tried the ridiculously overpriced la prairie foundation, the one with the cap that has concealer in it, well anyway- this is very similar. Thick enough to provide full coverage, velvety is exactly the word. Lovely, brilliant matt effect- and exactly the right color too! Lasts very well, and a very good contender in the foundation stakes. I even like the funny spatula thing, although it is totally unneccesasary and does indeed drip rather a lot.

I haven't noticed it comes off on anything, and it does last well. However doublewear is still the best overall performer. Even so, i love this foundation as it is easier to apply- it's really creamy and thick so you can apply it so quickly, it dries to a great, very velvet finish indeed. GORGEOUS, RECOMMENDED!

/////Edit:///// i feel i ought to point out that athough this is really good quality, but it doesn't give the natural look, it does look like foundation, not skin. i agree with reviewer above me on that. Also, i'm afraid it does NOT mattify skin, or last that well (6-8hrs, not bad,mind.) But i have VERY high standards, as i've found the God of Foundations, estee lauder double wear. Still a lovely quality product, i must say that. I've been mean with lippies only as I compared to DW. Compared to anything else, this is defo in the high end. Worth a look!!
The main reason i've gone off this to be honest, is that it is NOT waterproof, and i need that when i sweat in the gym. Very embarrassing to get a mucky towel revealing your flawless skin is an illusion...!

on 3/25/2007 4:30:00 PM

Okay so I bought this about 2 days ago after reading many of the Rave reviews on the boards about this. I have to say I am Undecided about this. Perhaps I was expecting miracles or something or I had hyped it up too much. I was previously using Clinique clarifying makeup but wanted to try something new.

This product does go easily, doesnt feel cakey, blends well. It does not cover old acne scars as well as I was expecting though. I guess I thought this would be more full coverage???

Anyways I will give it a try but I am not totally "wowed" by this as many other ppl seem to be and it is $$ for something that isnt totally awesome

on 3/21/2007 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This was my first MUFE item and I was very excited to try it. The coverage is medium to full, and the finish is very smooth and matte. I love the squeeze bottle, it helps conserve this (pretty) expensive foundation and is also very sanitary. I found it covered many of my blemishes and discoloration. However, I still needed concealer with it. You do not need alot of product but I do recommend blending very quickly because it dries very quickly on your face. I try to exfoliate twice a week and moisturize with a heavy moisturizer before applying Mat Velvet+. If not, YOU WILL SEE FLAKES. I had a hard time making this work, but I finally did. I use Cetaphil's moisturizing cream, then immediately follow with MAC's Prep + Prime and right after I spread the foundation across my face and buff in with my MAC 187 brush, use Laura Mercier's Secret Camouflage concealer and set with Laura Mercier's Translucent Powder. My skin looks lovely, completely flawless and matte. Even after 6 hours and NO touch ups, my skin is STILL matte (Can you believe it?!). One thing I LOVE about this foundation is that it doesn't oxidize like many foundations do on my oily skin. However, if you do see flakes, you NEED a heavier moisturizer and you NEED to exfoliate. Overall, Mat Velvet+ is definitely worth the money, and gives me the coverage and finish I need. Plus no breakouts! Yay !!

I wear this in #40, and am usually a MAC NC25/C3, GA 5.5, and LM TM in Nude.

on 3/21/2007 1:40:00 PM

Hate it! Especially that curved spatula thing that serves absolutely NO purpose but to get in the way and slop foundation all over everything. I'm glad to see that the person who designed the MUFE spatula has gone on to bigger and better things and is now apparently planning strategy in the Iraqi war situation. As for the foundation itself, yuck! The color match starts out perfect, but winds up patchy and dark in areas after a while. Dries too quickly to blend well. (And I need extra blending time since I'm having to juggle the dreaded dripping spatula with the other hand.) I agree about the chalky look too. I just look ill wearing this.

on 3/20/2007 11:48:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I’m glad I’m not the only one who questions the validity of the “mattifying” claims this foundation has. I know I have slightly oily skin but I thought there must be something seriously wrong with my skin if the oilies can break through after a few hours!! As long as you take the mattifying claims with a grain of salt, this is a pretty good foundation. Expensive, but good. I learned the hard way this morning that a little bit of this stuff goes a long way, which is true for most of MUFE’s foundations and concealers. I put a blob on my makeup sponge and just about had to go down my neck to get all of it off! I really like the tube-tip container, it’s sanitary and makes it easier to dispense. I also like how soft and velvety my skin feels when I use it. All in all this is a good choice and even though I’ll probably try another brand next time I buy foundation, I can see myself coming back to this.

on 3/5/2007 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't know about its mattifying claim... I'm oily but not extremely oily, and this foundation keeps me matte for about an hour, then even with the Monistat primer underneath, I get oily.
Coverage is OK, medium I'd say, I still have to use concealer on my post-acne marks so it's definitely not full coverage.

on 3/2/2007 7:56:00 PM

WOW! This is now my new HG! I was using Body&Soul foundation because it was the only foundation the matched my yellow skintone. Although it matched my skin the 2n1 powder broke my out but foundation stick did not and also it did not do anything for the oil on my face. BUT this DOES! This stuff is awesome! It matches my skin and controls the oil and does not break me out! Here is the list of foundations that I've bought and did not work out for me because of either color, it irritated my skin, or clogged my pores(eww zits/bumps): Chanel Double Perfection Compact, Chanel Double Perfection Liquid, Laura Mercier Compact Foundation, Shiseido Hydro Liquid Compact, NARS Powder Foundation Revlon Colorstay, Revlon SkinLights Diffusing Tint Foundation, Max Factor Compact, MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation, Prescriptives Powderful, Prescriptives Exact Match foundation, Cargo Oil Free Foundation, L'Oreal Feel Perfect Compact, Biotherm Sense Matte Foundation, IMAN Second to None Powder Foundation, Maybelline Pure Makeup, Maybelline True Illusion (compact and liquid), and Maybelline Wonder Finish

on 3/1/2007 4:04:00 PM

While I chose the wrong color, this is still a good product and I can imagine that it would be GREAT if I had the right color. For now I'll just stick with the Face and Body.

As for the spatula, I figured its purpose was to allow the product to drip in a controlled manner onto the fingers, sponge, etc, without contaminating the rest of the bottle with bacteria. I actually liked the spatula.

on 2/23/2007 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got this once I saw it in Sephora's newest catalog. I'm always looking for a perfect mattifying foundation with a good yellow undertone for my Asian skin. (My sister thinks I'm obsessive!) Lasting power is also important to me, since I've been using Revlon's Colorstay with Softflex. I like the squeeze bottle and the mattifying formula. Luckily it doesn't make my skin look dry. I have an oily T-Zone and yesterday I wore this to work (6am-5pm) it looked great, didn't even powder once. I use primer underneath, which helps give it slip, otherwise, it may not blend very well on unmoisturized skin. Love the staying power, goes well with the Full Coverage concealor. Too bad they don't have SPF anymore. Claims to be water resistant so I tested it by working out at home with the makeup on. When I dabbed my skin with a towel, there was almost no transfer and no sliding goo on my face anywhere.