August 30, 2014 | 1017 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2004 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Pamann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

(update/edit) I've now used this foundation for over a year, and am elevating it to HG status. My skin type: oily/ combo/ acne prone.I also have large pores on my nose and immediate cheek area.This does not break me out. I would describe the coverage as full to medium- it easily and naturally covers any skin discoloration or blemish without any additional concealer.
It has a lot of slip to it(silicones) which gives me the smoothest finish I've ever accomplished. Also very long lasting--if I apply PC skin balancing moisturizer under, my skin stays mostly matte all day! SPF of 20 with Titanium Dioxide. I do apply additional sunscreen under(not to my T, however).The best foundation ever! Many, many repurchases!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2004 8:26:00 PM More reviews by locutus137

I love this foundation. I'm still searching for my holy grail, but on my search I keep coming back to this after the others fail me.

It covers very well. I have combo/oily skin and it lasts all day on me - with few powder touch-ups needed.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2004 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Karlee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a heavy foundation, so a little goes a long way! It worked best when applied with a sponge, with a light dusting of loose powder on top. I have oily, acne-prone skin with large pores, and this product works well for me. It covers red nicely, the shade blends with my skintone, and it has GREAT staying power - even through several hours, and lots of oil breakthrough. It did not cause me to breakout. A few cons, though: It leaves an oily residue, which surprised me considering it is oil free (blotting with a tissue before the loose powder helped). And it has absolutely no oil-control. Also, the color range is not great. If you are lucky one of the colors may be a match for you. And finally, the dipper thing attached to the cap is just plain annoying. UPDATE - I had to stop using this due to excessive oil problems. I am oily to begin with, and this just made my problem that much worse. It was like my face would produce double the oil, as soon as I put this on. Perhaps it is the SPF?

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2004 4:35:00 PM More reviews by Hedd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Excellent coverage for medium to full look. Very good color selection for yellow undertone skin (like myself). Good texture and light feeling on skin. And it does not break me out! ;)

Update: After an hour the product oxidized on my tan skin and I end up orange and with an oil slick all over my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2004 10:07:00 AM More reviews by cdsf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overall I like this product. Honestly my skin does so much better without any foundation. It's much clearer and more smooth. But unfortunately it is a little pink in some areas so when I need to even out my skin tone and cover blemishes, this product works. I love the color, I'm using #1 (I'm MAC NC25) and the color is perfect for me. Only small complaint is that I feel a little greasy after wearing. I don't know if it is the foundation or if it is just my skin acting up from the weather. Also, my skin is usually oily/acne prone but tends to get dehydrated in the winter. I feel like my drier patches are accentuated with this product. Using a moisturizer first helps. Overall I like the coverage I get from this product but I will continue the search. I may or may not re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2004 10:01:00 PM More reviews by emshell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this foundation after seeing it on the MUA top picks and I am so glad I tried it! I have oily skin and this really works to give a nice matte finish. I love the medium to full coverage too!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2004 4:22:00 PM More reviews by Larushka

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This foundation covers up almost anything without looking unnatural at all. It is relatively heavy coverage, but it's perfect for photographs or as the basis for a classic, "made-up" face, especially in winter and in the evening. During the day, it's best used sparingly, either simply applied to "problem areas" and well blended, or even mixed with a small amount of colourless, oil-free moisturiser before applying. The only other foundation I own is NARS Gel Fraîcheur (San Moritz), and when I need anything heavier, Mat Velvet suffices. I use the shade 01, which is a good match for my fair, warmish skin (although a little bit too dark in the dead of winter).

I do have some trouble with the bottle, because the foundation tends to run into the cap if the bottle isn't kept upright, and then there's some waste or spillage. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2003 9:40:00 PM More reviews by merganser

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is very nice. I've only worn it a few times but so far I love the results. I found a good color match in #1. It holds up well on my skin which is combo with a rather oily t-zone. It covers well but still looks natural.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2003 11:31:00 PM More reviews by firesyren

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a great matte foundation. I, with oily skin, wore it all day, with no blots or touch ups needed ever. It wore like nothing I have ever used. The foundation itself is very runny and not heavy. It appeared too dark in the bottle, but once I started blending, it magically changed to a much lighter color! Very odd! The shade I chose, #8, is great for a pale person like me, and is a good neutral, non-pink ivory color. It didn't streak, didn't settle into any fine lines, and made my skin look flawless. I wish it had a pump dispenser. UPDATE: Cannot wear this anymore because it is so matte, and accentuates any dry flakes, as my skin has changed. I am no longer as oliy as I used to be. This is still a fine alternative to something like Colorstay.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2003 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Kellyp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE this foundation! It really comes in some decent colors. I mistakenly chose #1 first, but it had too much gray in it. I called the MUFE Boutique in Manhattan for some advice on descriptions of colors and she highly suggested the #8 and it is totally perfect, neutral nice ivory color, not yellow, not pink just perfect and it truly does give you the look of PERFECT Skin! I also bought the Face and Body but I'm not as crazy about it as I am for the Mat Velvet, which lasts all day long.
I will definitely buy this again, as long as I don't wind up getting dried out from it. I have normal skin, which tends to get drier in the winter. Just a key note: The SA at the MUFE Boutique also suggested using a light layer of the Face and body and just put the Mat Velvet on where you want a little extra coverage, or apply it with a damp sponge for sheerer coverage. I may give this a try.
UPDATE: I loved this one and the Face and Body one, however, after a week of using them, they caused some MAJOR cystic acne on me. Such a bummer, because I guess if I didn't have sensitive skin, they would have been PERFECT!