November 23, 2014 | 1725 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2004 6:12:00 PM More reviews by dulcinea14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff. Light texture and you can layer it for more coverage. The color I got looks great on me and the matte coverage works well with my horribly oily skin, especially now that it's summer!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2004 9:39:00 PM More reviews by Alydimes25

I purchased this foundation over a year ago and just the other day I finally ran out. It is a good product, offers a pretty, natural coverage and isn't too sheer. The consistency is perfect but I find the colors are a bit off...it made my face look more orangey throughout the day than I like, even though when I first put it on it looked nice. Makes the skin oily too, throughout the day...possibly made me break out, but that could also be from other products I used. So overall, I'm undecided. It's great in terms of coverage, bad in terms of its changability over the course of a day. I only put makeup on once---no reapplications or touch ups, so maybe if I was more of a touch-up type this stuff would still look great by days end.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2004 10:46:00 AM More reviews by beachkitty79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My only complaint about this is the bottle with the dipstick. It is just annoying. It would be perfect without it. The sales person in Sephora told me that this foundation is best applied with your fingers, but I have had good results with a foundation brush. This provides very good coverage without feeling heavy. You don't have to use a lot of this. A little bit goes a long way, so never fear about the $36 price tag. Shade #1 is a perfect match for my skin. UPDATE: I understand why they say this should be applied with the fingers. You can hardly wash it off your foundation brush! The more I've used this, the more I've seen that it doesn't seem to have good "long-wearing" power, so I'm taking off a lippie.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2004 11:30:00 PM More reviews by PurplePrincessa

I tried this foundation and it works great if you want full coverage- it's very thick.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2004 9:22:00 AM More reviews by Kathleen11

I've been searching for a perfect foundation for about 20+ years and this is the closest I've come. I have combo skin and this product makes my skin look its best. I'm very pale so I use #1 and it is a perfect match. I don't like the bottle - has a weird spatula thing - but other than that it's amazing. I'm on my 3rd bottle and love it. Their concealer is the best too. The only one I've tried that never sinks into lines or dries out the skin around my eyes. Try the concealer if you get the chance!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2004 8:42:00 AM More reviews by shavon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

With a mattifier under my -zone, & this makeup on top, I can go about 4 hrs. w/out a touch-up. That's good for my oily skin. I like the creamy, thick-ish consistency. It gives med-full coverage. If I've time, I put 2 thin layers on my T-zone w/ a 5 min. wait in between. Sometimes I use a "luminizing" powder over to mitigate the flat matte look somewhat. Don't like the goofy curved spatula inside, so I decanted some into a sample jar. If you like a thicker liquid & are looking for coverage, try it. It has SPF 20 too. $36 at Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2004 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Kirstin99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, this foundation is amazing. I'm constantly on the hunt for the perfect foundation for my combination skin. I have a very oily, shiny T zone and very dry cheeks. It is hard to find something that addresses both of these problems. I also prefer a very matte, medium coverage. This foundation fits that bill. It lasts all day on me and I get only a tiny bit of shine by the afternoon (I use MAC blot powder for that). I love the finish - it is nearly flawless. My only complaint is the bottle with the funky curved wand. I prefer a pump. I've been using either a foundation brush or sponge to apply this. I am a MMM (NC35) and am using #2.

I'm not sure that this is my HG but it is the closest I've ever come to finding it. I LOVE this and will, without a doubt, repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2004 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Scatterot

I love this foundation! I have been trying out many foundations and this may very well be my HG foundation. It gives excellent coverage. My sister even commented on how it makes my skin look clear. I have acne scars and this covers them up very well. My only complaint is that my bottle leaks and for the cost of this I don't want to be wasting any of it.

Update: I live in Texas and it gets VERY hot. I went to a party with no AC and this stuff seemed to melt right off. I'm going to have to start looking for a new foundation because this isn't going to work in the summer. I still recommend it though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2004 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Scarlett_Canada

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is el-garbagio. I should have never strayed from my HG, but I read the raves on here, and I thought maybe my oily skin would truly be saved forever.

First of all, the colour selection sucks. The MA recommended one that is far too dark for my skin and now I'll have to buy a base to counteract the J-LO foundation. 2nd of all, I didn't notice any lack of oilies - same ole, same ole. Thirdly it's very heavy and feels "fake" on my skin.

I usually love Make Up For Ever products, but I don't like this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2004 6:56:00 AM More reviews by anne003

I think at last I may have found my HG foundation in the MUFE mat velvet. After using La prairie caviar concealor foundation for the last 6 months and being fairly impressed with it, although the downside was that even the lightest shade porcelain blush was a bit too pink on me. I decided to try Mat velvet after reading the rave reviews on here, and wasn't disappointed. It goes on just as well as la prairie, as it is very creamy, and gives excellent buildable coverage which is def medium to heavy side. Also loved that the colour choice available is more yellow based, rather than pink which suits me perfectly.I have this in the lightest shade available 8 ivory, and it blends in to perfection.I highly recommend this one, and will definately repurchase.