Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

3.5

Water, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Acrylates/Steareth-20 Methacrylate Copolymer(thickening agent), Glycerin, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Butylene Glycol(preservative, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Phenoxyethanol, Masking Fragrance, Panthenol, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben.

on 8/9/2003 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have acne-prone, sensitive, and very oily skin. Since I've had severe acne since adolescence (and still in my 20s battle recurring bouts of acne!!) I have seen several dermatologists and tried many, many products. My skin has gone through the ringer folks!

Hands down, the dermatologist recommended prescription-only products are the best for fighting problem skin.

However, I think of Cetaphil as the closest to a prescription cleanser for oily skin that you can get. The maker is Galderma, who also makes my topical medication MetroCream.

My skin feels soft and clean after I use this product. I am amazed. It seriously cuts down the shine and does NOT irritate my skin. Most products that offer to cut shine either do not do so or actually overstrip my skin and irritate it, making it get red and blotchy (not attractive).

I am currently using Differin and Metrocream so maybe Cetaphil works best in tandem with prescription products? Even when I stopped using my meds temporarily Cetaphil continued to do its job.

I've used harsher exfoliators, glycolic and salicyic/"alpha hydroxy" cleansers, oatmeal bars, medicated bars, Oil of Olay, Neutrogena, L'Oreal, Dove, lots and lots of products and hands down this is the best.

I have young adult skin. As I age, it is manageable but I will still get severe break-outs if I don't watch out. The oiliness is giving way to combination skin. For my skin type, Cetaphil for normal to oily skin is the best cleanser I have ever used and the ONLY product that I will buy from now until my skin changes again.

on 8/5/2003 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

A bottle of this lasts a long time. I'm trying to use it up before buying something new. Maybe I'll start using it to clean my brushes like a previous reviewer so that I *can* try something new. ;) Decent cleansing power, non-foamy, doesn't smell too bad, didn't break me out or overdry my oily skin. Mediocre in my opinion. I don't love it enough to repurchase, but I'd use it again in a pinch.

on 7/22/2003 3:49:00 PM

I tried this b/c I was looking for a cheaper alternative to my MB Enzyme Cleansing Gel & I was very surprised to find that I actually like this stuff! This low-lathering gel formula has light, clean scent & cleans all my makeup up easily. It leaves my combo-oily skin feeling clean & smooth, not tight or dry. You get a generous 8 oz for a mere $4, so this is definitely going to be a staple for me :)

on 7/11/2003 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Too harsh for my face other than the t-zone area, not effecitve for acne either. Don't like the smell. Will use Murad's instead.

on 7/8/2003 2:03:00 PM

My skin is really bad about break-outs and I was searching for a cleanser that would get rid of them. My sister got a little extra in her one of her swaps of this Cetaphil cleanser and I tried it. Next thing I knew my skin was soft and oil-free! I would recomend this product to anyone!

on 7/7/2003 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ok, I know loads of people have slammed the scent of this but I actually like it! Kinda clean, kinda light floral - It's sure a YMMV thing! It works wonderfully on my normal skin, and really cleans without stripping. Takes makeup off well, and rinses nicely! I'll absolutely buy this again!

on 7/4/2003 8:52:00 PM

I had tried the original Cetaphil and was NOT impressed. This, however, is an entirely different product. Two pumps is usually enough to take off my makeup and cleanse my face without stripping it.

on 7/4/2003 8:39:00 AM

Cetaphil worked great for me for many months, then it just ran out of steam and did not seem to clean as well. I used what was left of my bottle to clean my makeup brushes, and it was great for that purpose since it is not as harsh on the bristles as other soaps might be. For those who this works for as a cleanser - consider yourselves lucky! I really liked it when it was effective for me, but unfortunately it can't perform for me anymore.

on 7/4/2003 4:10:00 AM

The good: If you have very oily skin that is not overly sensitive, you may very well love this cleanser! It really gets the oil out. It did a good job cleansing my oily t-zone.

The bad: First of all, it overdried my already dry cheeks. That in turn made them so much oilier! Second, I do not like the fragrance. When I bought this I didn't read the package closely enough. I just assumed that it would be fragrance free like the original Cetaphil. Another thing is you have to really rinse a lot to get all the stuff off your face. There are these tiny little bubbles that just don't wanna go! Lastly, the stuff is so watery that I tend to use a lot and it ran out in a little over a month.

For my sensitive skin, I would not buy this again.

on 6/16/2003 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm surprised by this product. I'm a teen with oily skin and some acne, so I'd been using the typical teen acne cleanser by Neutrogena or Clean and Clear. But this worked better than any of that stuff! My acne has gotten better and my skin is so soft- it's gentle and feels clean. if i want to really refresh my face i'll rinse off the cleanser with 8-10 splashes of cold water and that really does the trick.

Video Reviews & Tutorials