Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

3.2

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract

on 3/17/2008 12:31:00 AM

I like this product. It makes my skin softer and does provide a good canvas for foundation. One negative is the consistency is a bit slippery prior to drying, but it works. I had used the sephora primer prior to this and this well outperforms that one, and is worth the price.

on 3/14/2008 9:15:00 AM

I have been wanting to try this product for a long time after hearing so many good things about it. However, after doing some research it seemed to be either hit or miss depending on what your skin is like. So after reading the reviews I decided to try the Bare Escentuals Primer instead since it was cheaper and I already use their foundation. I was mildly happy with it, but I hadn't used any other primers before so I didn't know what to expect.

I received a sample of it at Sephora, so I tried it out. I was really pleasantly surprised. It went on really smooth and I could instantly see that my complexion was much more even and that impressed me the most. The Bare Escentuals primer felt similar to Photo Finish, but it did not even my complexion like Photo Finish does.

One complaint that I have is the dryness/flaking that other people have mentioned. I have pretty dry skin, and since I use the BE foundation it seems that my face can get kind of dry. I think I may be able to solve this though by moisturizing my face better.

So far I'm impressed.

on 3/14/2008 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have used this prodcut on some of my brides and myself as well. I think that this is one of those products that you have to work with a few times to get it just right.
This product does make your skin feel really smooth in a non-greasy kind of way. BUT!!! be careful not to use too much. When I first got it, I used to much and it started to like bead up on my skin. Like I was able to roll little balls of it between my fingers as well as I felt like my foundation was sitting on top of this product and not adhereing to the the skin.
After workin with it for a while I found that if you use a little of it and buff it into the skin it does have a nice matte finish, I use a mac 109 buffer brush and work a small amount into the skin and then use a cream or liquid foundation as well with the same brush using the same buffing technique and it gives a really airbrushed finish.
Not really sure if I would buy it again because other companies make similar products and I wish to try those as well

on 3/13/2008 11:12:00 PM

Okay, so when I put this on, yes, my skin feels soft and creamy.

But THAT'S IT.

Here's what the product states it's supposed to do:

What it is formulated to do:
The silky blend of vitamins and antioxidants smoothes and perfects skin, while the unique formula helps to inhibit the destruction of collagen, and fills in fine lines and pores for a flawless finish.

WHAT?!?! It DOESN'T DO ANY OF THAT!! Pfft!!

When I apply my foundation, not only does it not provide a matte finish, it makes my skin oily and it doesn't give my foundation any staying power whatsoever. Doesn't fill in lines, wrinkles, etc...doesn't fill in pores, nothing. All it simply does is make my skin feel soft and creamy when I apply my foundation, but does absolutely nothing other than that.

On top of it all, the pump does not allow for the entire product to be used. Once you get anywhere near the bottom, the pump is too short to grab the ton of primer left at the bottom. Because this is so expensive and not very big and goes by fast, I feel very aggravated that I can't even use the bottom portion of the primer. And of course the bottle is thick and I'm not able to take a pair of scissors to it to get what's left at the bottom..I found myself trying to dig the stem of the pump in different directions to try to get what's left at the bottom. So frustrating, especially when nothing about the product makes it worth it.

on 3/11/2008 10:38:00 PM

I got this as a free gift and to me there is no difference. So you don't need it. I wouldn't buy it.

on 3/11/2008 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I got this as part of the "Try Me" set, and I simply didn't see the big deal. If you wanted this to work, then you could maybe pretend there was a difference, but there really isn't. Also, the concept of foundation primer is sort of silly, you're better off spending the money on a better moisturizer. If you think you need foundation primer, think again because you probably don't, spend the money on a dermatologist or esthetician.

on 3/11/2008 2:17:00 AM

What this product was supposed to cover and help, actually accentuated and made to look worse. I have large pores on my cheeks and this seemed to emphasize them, also it caused some breakouts on areas where I never breakout. I have to say, it does feel nice on your skin, but offered no benefits. I use BE medium foundation, and get a much smoother look without this product.

on 3/9/2008 1:56:00 AM

I love this primer! It makes your skin so smooth so that when you use your foundation it goes on evenly.

on 3/8/2008 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This product is useless if u have dry/combination skin. it sux!

on 3/7/2008 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I like this product a lot. It makes my makeup last and it allows you to use a lot less foundation due to the way it helps your makeup glide over your face. At first feel, it appears greasy/siliconey but I don't find it greasy. Until very recently, I had very oily skin...my first impression was that it would just make my face more slick...but it didn't. I don't use it every day due to the price...and unless they've changed the packaging, it isn't the kind of thing that should have a pump applicator. The last bit of product doesn't pump out...I need to twist off the top and use a q-tip to get some out. I think I'll get a travel tube of it next time.

Popular Primer/ Correctors