April 24, 2014 | 1831 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2007 8:24:00 AM More reviews by macrobbieus

I like this product and mainly use it as a day cream. After continuous use I could see that the combination of exfoliating properties and the beta-glucan part really did make my skin "glow" that little bit more. Gave it a nice overall bright, even skintone quality about it. It is nicely and quickly absorbed into the skin which is nice. The only 2 downsides I've found with this moisturizer is that if I am lazy/in a hurry/not thinking and i've blantantly rubbed it across my eyelids or too close to the eye area I think the lactic acid property in the moisturizer does have the potential to have a bit of a stinging side affect in the eye. The other downside is that it has no spf properties at all which is quite essential particularly in the Australian sun.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2007 8:14:00 PM More reviews by kittykat36

I started using this in March when I got the Make-up Optional skin kit. I think it's great on my combination skin (especially my cheeks which tend to get really dry due to air con in work), it has gotten rid of my flaky cheeks but not caused greasiness on the rest of my face.

It's expensive, especially here in the UK where it's 35 for the 2oz jar, but I've found it's worth it for me. I'd recommend it for people to give a go and have already re-bought for myself and my sister.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2007 2:30:00 PM More reviews by stephaniepress

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product did make my skin appear more smooth, however, it also made my skin more sensitive and highlighted red undertones. As I continued using it (thinking my skin may need some time to adjust), I noticed that my skin would break out if I didn't keep feeding it the product. I'm not sure if anyone else had this odd reaction, but many people love this product - I would not recommend it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2007 11:07:00 PM More reviews by christiegirl

I bought this product becuase I was told it was the best. Well this was just not the case. It made my dry skin greasy and I broke out all over my face. I thought maybe I had to let it get worse and then my face would get better but after a month it just kept getting worse. Couldn't even finish the jar.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2007 3:11:00 PM More reviews by Andrea2626

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this moisturizer, I have combination skin and it is the right texture for me- not too oily and not too light. The problem is I wasn't "wowed" enough for the price- especially since it does not have an SPF. I can only wear under makeup since I try not to go outside without SPF. Since I don't wear foundation every day I had to use another lotion on those days.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2007 11:55:00 PM More reviews by meepo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wanted to try this out because it's been #1 on Sephora for like forever... and I was pretty disappointed. My boyfriend kept asking me why I smelled like plants (not in a good way, haha) after I put it on, and it didn't do anything special for my skin.. in fact, I think this might have caused my skin to break out. Will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2007 9:06:00 PM More reviews by Janvier

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have dry skin and after not finding that the spf version moisturized enough, I was directed to try the original. Unfortunately, despite all the rave reviews on this product, I don't find that it does anything remarkable for my complexion and the smell is almost unbearable.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2007 5:12:00 PM More reviews by Katyllw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I dont know... I guess I was expecting alot more from this product.
Maybe its because it was one of the first high-end skin care items I bought at the time, but I would have compared it to simply slapping some baby lotion on my face. Not impressed by this at all. That isnt to say that it is a bad product, Just nothing to "WOW" about. I found that for half the price I could buy Beyond Belief (an unlisted product on makeup alley) from a sally's Beauty supply and its just amazing.

Wanted to like this though...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2007 1:31:00 PM More reviews by gambitlizard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like HIAJ. It's moisturizing without being greasy. It doesn't cause breakouts on my oily skin. I might be one of the few who likes the lavendar fragrance. The only con for me is the need for a separate sunscreen. Wish Philosophy thought to include that.
UPDATE: After months of use, I think this may be too heavy for summer. It seems that I was having minor breakouts when the temperature here rose above 90F, which happens often. I withhold my final judgement until cold weather.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/10/2007 7:31:00 PM More reviews by xanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't know what all the fuss is about this product. The texture is nice when it is in the jar, but that's about the only redeeming quality I noticed. It was a mediocre moisturizer (my face did not really feel hydrated) and it actually made my pores bigger, which is my main complaint. I never had noticeable pores on my cheeks until I used this. Thanks a lot, Philosophy. It also made my eyes burn, even though I didn't put it anywhere near my eyes. Plus, if I layered it with another product (even another Philosophy product) or makeup and then touched my face, it would rub off in a cakey goop. I'm sticking with Kiehl's Oil Free Sodium PCA Moisturizer: it's cheaper and actually works.