July 31, 2014 | 1880 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2004 6:19:00 AM More reviews by chi77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried the tester at the counter and fell instantly in love with its "velvety" texture. It goes on really smooth and covers flawlessly. My perfect match was 01 Porcelain (LLL with neutral undertone). This is great for oily/combi/acne-prone skin cause it goes on very matte. **UPDATE** After trying liquid foundations for over a decade, I must say that this is one of the best in COVERAGE and texture. After trying the tester more than a month ago, I decided to splurge on a bottle just before Christmas. I adore this and it's definitely my HG. The shade 01 is perfect (NC20 MAC Studiofix, Revlon Colorstay "Buff", Chanel DPF "limpide", Estee Double Wear "Bone"). It wears the entire day, does not feel heavy and does not oxidize and better still - NO BREAKOUT! I am truly very pleased for the first time that I've finally managed to find a great foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2004 6:08:00 PM More reviews by c_cassano

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

wow, great foundation :) it has spf 20, evens out my skin tone completely, covers blemishes, and does not clog my pores or cause break-outs (if anything, it may be preventing pimples). it looks pretty natural and stays matte for a long time if used with a light dusting of powder overtop. i do have to touch up with powder every so often throughout the day, but that's fine because it's not realistic to believe any foundation product will keep your face matte for 12 hours, unless it's the consistency of plaster! the shade i have is Ivory 8, which matches my skintone perfectly. i have never liked liquid foundations in the past but this one has totally changed my mind.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2004 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Leny0979

I really like this foundation. It covers my imperfections and yet does not make me look too made up. The texture is thick but it does not make my skin feels suffocated. It also does not cause breakouts. I like that it has spf 20 and I found the perfect color match in #1. I still have to blot about 3 to 4 times a day, which to me is still okay since I used to blot more often when I use other foundation. I will definitely re-purchase this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2004 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Pamann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

(update/edit) I've now used this foundation for over a year, and am elevating it to HG status. My skin type: oily/ combo/ acne prone.I also have large pores on my nose and immediate cheek area.This does not break me out. I would describe the coverage as full to medium- it easily and naturally covers any skin discoloration or blemish without any additional concealer.
It has a lot of slip to it(silicones) which gives me the smoothest finish I've ever accomplished. Also very long lasting--if I apply PC skin balancing moisturizer under, my skin stays mostly matte all day! SPF of 20 with Titanium Dioxide. I do apply additional sunscreen under(not to my T, however).The best foundation ever! Many, many repurchases!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2004 8:26:00 PM More reviews by locutus137

I love this foundation. I'm still searching for my holy grail, but on my search I keep coming back to this after the others fail me.

It covers very well. I have combo/oily skin and it lasts all day on me - with few powder touch-ups needed.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2004 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Karlee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a heavy foundation, so a little goes a long way! It worked best when applied with a sponge, with a light dusting of loose powder on top. I have oily, acne-prone skin with large pores, and this product works well for me. It covers red nicely, the shade blends with my skintone, and it has GREAT staying power - even through several hours, and lots of oil breakthrough. It did not cause me to breakout. A few cons, though: It leaves an oily residue, which surprised me considering it is oil free (blotting with a tissue before the loose powder helped). And it has absolutely no oil-control. Also, the color range is not great. If you are lucky one of the colors may be a match for you. And finally, the dipper thing attached to the cap is just plain annoying. UPDATE - I had to stop using this due to excessive oil problems. I am oily to begin with, and this just made my problem that much worse. It was like my face would produce double the oil, as soon as I put this on. Perhaps it is the SPF?

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2004 4:35:00 PM More reviews by Hedd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Excellent coverage for medium to full look. Very good color selection for yellow undertone skin (like myself). Good texture and light feeling on skin. And it does not break me out! ;)

Update: After an hour the product oxidized on my tan skin and I end up orange and with an oil slick all over my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2004 10:07:00 AM More reviews by cdsf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overall I like this product. Honestly my skin does so much better without any foundation. It's much clearer and more smooth. But unfortunately it is a little pink in some areas so when I need to even out my skin tone and cover blemishes, this product works. I love the color, I'm using #1 (I'm MAC NC25) and the color is perfect for me. Only small complaint is that I feel a little greasy after wearing. I don't know if it is the foundation or if it is just my skin acting up from the weather. Also, my skin is usually oily/acne prone but tends to get dehydrated in the winter. I feel like my drier patches are accentuated with this product. Using a moisturizer first helps. Overall I like the coverage I get from this product but I will continue the search. I may or may not re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2004 10:01:00 PM More reviews by emshell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this foundation after seeing it on the MUA top picks and I am so glad I tried it! I have oily skin and this really works to give a nice matte finish. I love the medium to full coverage too!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2004 4:22:00 PM More reviews by Larushka

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This foundation covers up almost anything without looking unnatural at all. It is relatively heavy coverage, but it's perfect for photographs or as the basis for a classic, "made-up" face, especially in winter and in the evening. During the day, it's best used sparingly, either simply applied to "problem areas" and well blended, or even mixed with a small amount of colourless, oil-free moisturiser before applying. The only other foundation I own is NARS Gel Fraîcheur (San Moritz), and when I need anything heavier, Mat Velvet suffices. I use the shade 01, which is a good match for my fair, warmish skin (although a little bit too dark in the dead of winter).

I do have some trouble with the bottle, because the foundation tends to run into the cap if the bottle isn't kept upright, and then there's some waste or spillage. continued >>