September 23, 2014 | 1991 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2004 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Ilse333

"Matte" and "velvet" are beautiful words to me but this did not take to my skin at all. Instead it behaved much like another disappointment, Chanel DPF - it looked good for an hour then melted off in patches, leaving me with this weird mottled face. My skin is combo-normal and 37 and I live in a hot climate; I had hoped this would provide me with at least a uniform matte finish but after trying it with different moisturizers, primer/no primer, etc., I've concluded this just does not work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2004 9:51:00 PM More reviews by xtah7

this is the BEST foundation i have ever tried. i have golden skintone (asian) and shade No. 4 is perfect for my complexion because it has enough yellow undertone. other foundations i have tried are always way too pink for me. in contrast to others who might hate the weird spetula thing in the bottle, i actually LOVE IT because i can dip the perfect amount onto the back of my hands without spilling the whole bottle over. i also love the velvety texture that is matte enough but NOT cakey so my face look real. it is completely BUILDABLE so i can camouflage my spots with the thicker texture on the rim of the bottle after spreading a thin layer allover my face. i also love it that it has SPF 20 because i'm super lazy and hate putting millions of products onto my face. i have oily skintone and some breakouts and this one definitely doesn't cause any trouble, AND stays luminously matte for about 3-4 hours before i have to blot my face with blotting paper. staying power is really good - didn't smudge throughout the day and never smudges onto my blotting papers. TOO BAD shade No. 4 has been discontinued within the USA so i have my mom send over several bottles a time from Asia when i need more. oh, it's also perfect with the KEVYN AUCOIN SKIN ENHANCER in SX-11 (identical color) if you want extra concealer for tough spots.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2004 6:12:00 PM More reviews by dulcinea14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff. Light texture and you can layer it for more coverage. The color I got looks great on me and the matte coverage works well with my horribly oily skin, especially now that it's summer!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2004 9:39:00 PM More reviews by Alydimes25

I purchased this foundation over a year ago and just the other day I finally ran out. It is a good product, offers a pretty, natural coverage and isn't too sheer. The consistency is perfect but I find the colors are a bit off...it made my face look more orangey throughout the day than I like, even though when I first put it on it looked nice. Makes the skin oily too, throughout the day...possibly made me break out, but that could also be from other products I used. So overall, I'm undecided. It's great in terms of coverage, bad in terms of its changability over the course of a day. I only put makeup on once---no reapplications or touch ups, so maybe if I was more of a touch-up type this stuff would still look great by days end.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2004 10:46:00 AM More reviews by beachkitty79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My only complaint about this is the bottle with the dipstick. It is just annoying. It would be perfect without it. The sales person in Sephora told me that this foundation is best applied with your fingers, but I have had good results with a foundation brush. This provides very good coverage without feeling heavy. You don't have to use a lot of this. A little bit goes a long way, so never fear about the $36 price tag. Shade #1 is a perfect match for my skin. UPDATE: I understand why they say this should be applied with the fingers. You can hardly wash it off your foundation brush! The more I've used this, the more I've seen that it doesn't seem to have good "long-wearing" power, so I'm taking off a lippie.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2004 11:30:00 PM More reviews by PurplePrincessa

I tried this foundation and it works great if you want full coverage- it's very thick.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2004 9:22:00 AM More reviews by Kathleen11

I've been searching for a perfect foundation for about 20+ years and this is the closest I've come. I have combo skin and this product makes my skin look its best. I'm very pale so I use #1 and it is a perfect match. I don't like the bottle - has a weird spatula thing - but other than that it's amazing. I'm on my 3rd bottle and love it. Their concealer is the best too. The only one I've tried that never sinks into lines or dries out the skin around my eyes. Try the concealer if you get the chance!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2004 8:42:00 AM More reviews by shavon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

With a mattifier under my -zone, & this makeup on top, I can go about 4 hrs. w/out a touch-up. That's good for my oily skin. I like the creamy, thick-ish consistency. It gives med-full coverage. If I've time, I put 2 thin layers on my T-zone w/ a 5 min. wait in between. Sometimes I use a "luminizing" powder over to mitigate the flat matte look somewhat. Don't like the goofy curved spatula inside, so I decanted some into a sample jar. If you like a thicker liquid & are looking for coverage, try it. It has SPF 20 too. $36 at Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2004 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Kirstin99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, this foundation is amazing. I'm constantly on the hunt for the perfect foundation for my combination skin. I have a very oily, shiny T zone and very dry cheeks. It is hard to find something that addresses both of these problems. I also prefer a very matte, medium coverage. This foundation fits that bill. It lasts all day on me and I get only a tiny bit of shine by the afternoon (I use MAC blot powder for that). I love the finish - it is nearly flawless. My only complaint is the bottle with the funky curved wand. I prefer a pump. I've been using either a foundation brush or sponge to apply this. I am a MMM (NC35) and am using #2.

I'm not sure that this is my HG but it is the closest I've ever come to finding it. I LOVE this and will, without a doubt, repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2004 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Scatterot

I love this foundation! I have been trying out many foundations and this may very well be my HG foundation. It gives excellent coverage. My sister even commented on how it makes my skin look clear. I have acne scars and this covers them up very well. My only complaint is that my bottle leaks and for the cost of this I don't want to be wasting any of it.

Update: I live in Texas and it gets VERY hot. I went to a party with no AC and this stuff seemed to melt right off. I'm going to have to start looking for a new foundation because this isn't going to work in the summer. I still recommend it though.