November 22, 2014 | 1704 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Primer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2008 11:29:00 PM More reviews by bellefranjic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This one feels different to the other creamy primers that I have used. It glides on and almost immediately makes the skin feel smoother and the pores appear smaller (I suspect this is the silicone). As a result, liquid foundation glides on more easily and does seem to stay on for longer than it otherwise would. I purchased NARS primer at the same time and have compared the two, and so far, I would say that NARS wins. It is creamier and I have not found it as drying as Smashbox PFP, which tended to accentuate the slightly dry patches that I often get on my face.

One other cross against Smashbox PFP is that it seems to have caused a few spots on my face, especially around the edges of my face for some reason (I suspect that the silicone has something to do with this also). It isn't anything too serious, and my skin could be in the process of getting used to it, but I have not had this problem with any other primers and I do not really have sensitive skin. I will continue using it, but only when my skin is free of dry patches.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2008 10:00:00 PM More reviews by dara4

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

love this!! Its a staple. not recommended if you have acne prone or oily skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/29/2008 4:30:00 PM More reviews by selene_gal5

I bought this product a week ago and only used it a few times because I thought it was a little slippery and oily. But then again I have oily acne-prone skin. It did however help my makeup stay longer and gave me a glow. I think this might be a great primer for dryer skin. I will now return it for their lighter version.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2008 3:06:00 PM More reviews by rotabega

I have combo skin with extremely oily t-zone. I mean extremely. I was looking for something to control the glaring shine I have about 2 hours after applying make-up. I'm new to primers and bought this on a whim at Ulta. I was very pleased that Ulta said they would gladly accept a return on the used product if I was unhappy with it, so I had nothing to lose.

I have to say, I'm impressed so far! I didn't notice it doing much at first. But around lunchtime I noticed that my face didn't feel greasy and gross the way it normally does. I am normally blotting with Clean and Clear sheets every few hours.

Around 4 o'clock in the day, I finally couldn't resist my habit and whipped out a C&C sheet. The amount of oil, or should I say the lack of oil, was shocking! There was only a tiny bit, and mostly at the edges of my nose. Normally my forehead is a nightmare and takes 2 sheets to clear off. So far I've not experienced breakouts with the primer, and I'm very prone.

It's a little more expensive that I'd normally be willing to pay, but oil control without overdrying has been almost impossible for me to find. This stuff is heaven. The initial feel of it is a little freaky (it's so silky it'll make you think it's just globbing more oil on your face), but it actually feels amazing and light when you swipe it on, and a little goes a long way.

I gave it only a 4 because I'm still worried about breakouts. I know they have a light version for oily skin and I'm going to give that a try too. A few more days of use and if my skin stays clear and the oil stays controlled, it'll definitely be a 5!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2008 7:05:00 PM More reviews by sanckensmom

I've purchased this twice..once, the regular photo primer with okay results but many breakouts....the second time, the light version, that is supposedly a lot of water...does not break me out, but does nothing for my skin. It does help my make up to go on easily (give's a lotion like slip) but does not fill in any pores (what I want a primer for) or make my make up last longer, etc...it really serves no purpose, will never buy this again...I am looking for a primer to fill in lines, fill pores, etc...

rated 2 of 5 on 2/25/2008 3:25:00 PM More reviews by ktbzee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this for about a month and was not all that impressed. It did add a lot of slip to my face, but does little for hiding pores and making my foundation last. Maybe it is more suitable for someone with dry skin. I have combo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2008 1:47:00 AM More reviews by kayemarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a makeup case staple of mine. I have very dry skin and there is a noticeable difference in my makeup application when I use this and when I don't. In fact, I won't apply my makeup without it! It leaves a very silky even base for your makeup to just glide on and it only takes a tiny bit to go a long way.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2008 4:56:00 AM More reviews by holliberri

I got this primer as part of a smashbox kit I purchased. I've heard so many good things about it that I was really excited to try it. I put it on before my sheer cover, but it didn't really do anything for me. It did make my skin feel a little smoother, but there was no difference in the shine or the application of my makeup. For me, this was just not the right product. It was neither bad or good.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2008 10:18:00 AM More reviews by jsammurtok

I'd say that this stuff worked great for me. There a lot of bad reviews for the primer, but everyone needs different things. I use to suffer from acne really bad when I was a teenager; but after my skin matured a little I was able to control that acne, and this primer really helps with filling in the lines and scars that I have. No issues with oiliness as well, just super silky softness!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2008 6:32:00 PM More reviews by tmarisco

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am not prone to acne and I have "normal" skin. This product is ideal for me. I mix some vanilla pigment with my moisturizer, apply it, let it dry, then put the Photo Finish over that. I use BE, and I find that with this primer, the BE doesn't have that "powder on top of skin" look to it (when i didn't use this primer, my BE looked awful). It makes my skin look flawless, really. The texture isn't for everyone. I really like how smooth it feels, but if you get freaked out by greasy-feeling things (even though it doesn't look greasy), stay away from this stuff. Also, smashbox now makes "Photo Finish Light" that is more suited for acne-prone skin.

Also, I agree about the glass bottle issue. You end up losing a lot of product. Bad score on packaging for that.

I have tried other primers, but I always come back to this one. My main recommendation would be to go to an Ulta or Sephora or something and TRY it before you shell out the money for it. That way, you won't be too disappointed if you hate it.