Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

I had to see what everyone was raving about, ordered from sephora.com.

Opened it: The texture was kind of thick and cheap lotion-y looking, thought it would probably be greasy on my skin. The smell is...definitely different. I can see why a lot of people say they hate the smell, it's exactly like fresh dirt. Not horrid or anything though.

Used it: NOT greasy on my skin like I thought it would be. Didn't break me out, no allergic reaction or anything. The smell lingers for a short while after putting it on. I would say, however, that if you have oily skin you would probably not like this. Dry skin would love it though, combination might better only put it on the dry areas. I don't know about sensitive skin, but from the other reviews here I'd say not to risk it. I noticed on the ingredients, that they are ALL long scientific (fake stuff) words. Doesn't *really* bother me, but stay far away if you like more natural products.

EDIT: I didn't have this very long and hardly used it. I had dry lips recently and opened it to put on my lips. It was all yellow and chunky, totally unusable. I spent a lot (for me) on this and now I can't even rub it on my lips. No idea why it went bad. Anyone want a container of dried up chunks of moisturizer? >:(

on 1/16/2008 9:12:00 AM

This cream is wonderful. It is kinda pricey, but you only need to use a little! My skin is so much softer & radiant looking since I've started using this. I have combination skin, prone to terrible breakouts around "that time of month". I still get breakouts, but I've noticed they are not quite as bad. I've been wearing less cover-up than I've worn in the past, and my skin looks more even. HIAJ does have a unique smell to it, but not offensive. Personally, I would use it no matter what it smelled like. My skin hasn't looked this healthy in years!

on 1/15/2008 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am definitely returning this - I have had better results with drugstore moisturizers. This did absolutely nothing for my skin. It feels gross when you put it on (it's got a really weird texture that isn't pleasant), plus it reeks. It did not moisturize my skin at all - in fact, I think this made it dryer. I don't buy the Philosophy hype, and I'll think twice before getting suckered in again.

on 1/14/2008 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I heard so much about this product, I eventually had to try it myself. I was lucky I got it as a gift and was excited to try it. Big mistake. It clogged my pores. Makes my eyes water. And I hate the smell. I thought at first it that it had to grow on me - it didn't. I gave it 3 weeks to grow on me, which turned my skin into a horrible wreck. I will never buy this product.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

this reeked. it left a weird film on my skin. it smelled horrible. i would not recommend this product to anyone unless that person had a crappy olfactory sense.

on 1/10/2008 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

The message on the bottle convinces you to buy this, but if you don't have dry skin then it'll make you break out or increase your oiliness. It worked pretty well for the first two weeks, but after that my face was a mess. It's too heavy of a cream and i found it clogged my pores up so I'd get the medium sized red pimples in the areas between my eyes and nose, closer to the bridge. it also smells a bit like medicine. Worst of all, if you have sensitive skin like i do, it actually burned sometimes when i put it on my face, my eyes would tear up and it did not feel or look good at all.

If you have dry skin, go ahead. if you're oily or sensitve, skip this.

It's the second time I purchase this product and I have to say, it works better than LaMer, EL, and everything else I've tried without causing breakouts. The smell is a light lemony/lavander (which I hate) but the texture is milky, almost whipped, My skin drinks it right up. It's very comforting to use. You need very little as it just 'spreads' well (liquifies). However, I do find I get a bit shinier during the day but it is not a big problem (can be corrected with powder) compared to the advantages: it really EXFOLIATES. I have a lot a scars and they seem to vanish when I use this. I really get a glow and even skin tone. The jar is depressing (I wish it was glass). Overall, one of my favorite moisturizers in the world.

on 1/9/2008 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I though this product would REALLY be Hope in a Jar. It's even over-hyped up by Oprah. Don't fall for the brilliant marketing scheme of the whole Philosophy brand. I haven't found one Philosophy product that works yet and they are SOOO overpriced.
Hope in a Jar made my skin feel like it was on fire and then it went into complete breakout mode. I tried to use it a few weeks later to see if it was a bad first try and it did it again. I was also using the Purity cleanser which was pretty bad too and left a film on my skin. HIAJ is VERY BAD FOR SENSITIVE SKIN. IT WILL CAUSE BREAKOUTS. I do not recommend it. This went directly to the trash.

on 1/9/2008 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I really like Philosophy products, but this makes me breakout and I don't like the smell.
The lighter version - hope in a bottle - just didn't wow me.

on 1/8/2008 4:44:00 PM

I have mildly acne-prone, combination skin (I'm a teenager, so the acne is kind of a given) and this did no good for me. At first, I used it all over my face- bad idea, because then my nose, forehead and chin were really shiny, and it made me break out. Since I really wanted to like it (for how it's priced, it's difficult to just throw away) I just used it on the dry spots, and then I broke out there, too.
It smells nice. Not much else going for it, though.