Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 7/5/2007 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I recently got a sample of this and have been using it for over a week. So far so good but not the best. The coverage is medium and i love the way it looks after i have applied it but it didn't control my oil well. My face was shiny within an hour. I am a NC25-30 and #40 was a perfect match for me. Maybe i'll try it again when the weather is cooler and see how it works but until then, i will just stick to MMU for the summer.

Pros: Good coverage, Great color match and did not cause my sensitive skin to break out

Cons: Might be a bit too heavy for summertime use, didn't control my oil and expensive ($34)

on 6/30/2007 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After years of using cheap drugstore foundation I finally decided it was time to change my ways and this was the foundation I got. I agree with other reviewers who have said that you definitely need to moisturize or make sure your skin's not dry or flaky, because Mat Velvet+ will emphasize that. It is VERY nice and light, doesn't feel like anything. Decent coverage but I find I still need concealer to cover up my red acne scars. It doesn't crease much, if at all, and it does a very nice job of staying matte...the only places I ever get shiny with this on are my nose and chin, which are by far my two oilest zones. I'm very pale and #20 matches me nicely; at $34 this made me cringe when I bought it, but I truly do use less of it at a time than I would of a cheap ds foundation.

on 6/25/2007 12:45:00 PM

I wanted to try out a liquid foundation (having only worn powder foundations for many years), so I scoured the boards in search of a decent medium/full coverage-works with oily skin-doesn't feel like an oil slick on my face after a few hours-matches better than my Studio Fix NC42-foundation. Swayed by the reviews, I ventured out and purchased this and here is my experience thus far. I was matched with the choice between #50 and #60, 50 being slightly too light and 60 being a better match, but I was put off by the orangey color it displayed when you squeeze it out of the bottle and first put it on. But I went with the 60 anyway. Once I had a chance to apply it completely on my face, it blended better than I expected and when I wore it out, everyone thought it looked really natural. Pros: Feels like I have nothing on at all and looks natural (smooths out my complextion very well), easy to put on (you need to blend!), buildable coverage (as I have hyperpigmentation on one side of my face) that lasts all day (I can look in the mirror after I get home and it's stayed put), does not leave an oily feeling on my face. Semi-Cons: It is a little on the pricy side ($34) and for me, it was only matte for a few hours and then I had to blot (but even then, I'm not SUPER shiny, just a nice dewy look), but since being oily has ALWAYS been a problem for me, it's a step better than before. Overall, I'll probably continue buying this since my skin hasn't broken out and I really like the feeling on my face that I'm not wearing makeup even on the side where I have applied more due to the hyperpigmentation.

on 6/22/2007 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

When I first got this, I was totally sold and thought I'd found my HG foundation. It's been a few months, and while i still think this is a great product, I'm sorry to say it's no longer 100% for me. I do like the finish when it first goes on - it's actually the perfect amount of matte-ness without looking heavy or obvious. You DO need to make sure you're properly moisturized and not flakey AT ALL, but so long as your skin is prepped well beforehand, Mat Velvet + has a pretty smooth and ideal finish for me. It also doesn't break out my combo asian skin, which is another plus. One slight problem is that I don't seem to get the great oil control that everyone else gets; I find myself needing to blot after about 3-4 hours of wear (this is still way better than some the others I've tried, but still disappointing, since I'm not even that oily). The biggest problem I have with this foundation is the color selection (surprise, surprise, MUFE). Like a previous reviewer, I'm between NC25-NC30 and I was matched to #40. #30 was obviously too light, but #40 is a bit too dark and a slightly weird orange color on me. I can make it work, but I really have to make sure I use a minimal amount of product. Another thing is that this foundation doesn't lend itself that well to layering. It's a medium coverage foundation, and while that's usually adequate for me, when I've tried to layer it for fuller coverage the weird orange color intensifies and the finish isn't as smooth and natural looking anymore. Meh. Anyway, if the color match was more accurate, I could see myself being really satisfied & calling this my HG...so if you can find something in your shade, definitely try it! Unfortunately, my search still continues.

on 6/21/2007 2:46:00 PM

I absolutely LOVE this foundation. Truly my HG. I have combo skin that has the tendency to break out, and this foundation controls my oilies and doesn't irritate my skin. It lasts ALL day, and doesn't break down or smear in the hot Arizona summer. A little goes a long way. I will repurchase this time and time again!

on 6/19/2007 11:08:00 AM

I was on a mineral makeup kick for a good six months but wanted slightly more coverage so I turned to MUA for recommendations. I tried the MUFE Face & Body foundation first (#32 - a bit dark on me) but my normally-well-behaved combo skin turned super oily in 1 hour. After a month of contemplating whether to get the All Mat to complement the F&B or to take a chance with the Mat Velvet +, I decided to go for the latter. AND Mat Velvet is AMAZING! It evened out my skin, made my freckles less noticeable and still looked natural. (I would still reach for a concealer but not on a daily basis.) Plus, my skin remained matte all day (even on hot & humid days)! I bought #30 and it is a perfect match! (#35 was too dark/orangey on me, #40 was a tad darker than my skintone) My face looks smooth and luminous everyday. I agree that you have to exfoliate and hydrate your skin for this foundation to work.

I use ---
Sofina Rise UV Cut Milk (moisturizer + sunscreen) as "primer"
MUFE Mat Velvet + in #30 (using MAC 187 brush)
MUFE Super Mat Loose Powder #14

UPDATE 9/29/07: I've since moved on to LM Silk Creme Foundation in Beige Ivory. I still like the Mat Velvet but having been able to compare it to LM SCF, I just think LM makes me luminous and the shade match is much better.

on 6/17/2007 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Update: 10/15/2007 It's my favorite NARS LP that broke me out. Might give this another try. I just looked at my old pictures from the monitor and prints instead of just the digicam, and oil-control was actually pretty good when the last time I blotted was hours prior to when the picture was taken. I looked made up because the color was way off. //// I was lemming this for a long while. I read about it from an asian blogger with almost the same skin color and type as me. I can't get the color right. The SA tried 30 and 35 on me but both were too light and the later one looked a bit off in color. Still she gave me samples of both color insisting 40 would be darker. Reading further in the reviews, I should've chosen 40 or 50 for my nc30 skin. I mixed 30+35 and I looked too made up on the pictures that were taken at night. The finish was matte and it feels light. Oil control, a big issue for me, was pretty decent. Not sure if it's because of this foundation or because of my primer. I would have probably gone back to check for another shade if only new pimples didn't pop out the night I used it. So I'm off to finding my HG liquid w/ low or w/o spf.

on 6/6/2007 8:00:00 PM

After several attempts at trying to get a good color match, I've found that I'm best matched with shade #40. I've also tried 25, 30 and 35 and noticed that on my NC20-30 skin, the 25 was too pale, the 30 and 35 were doable but the 35 made me look a little too orange and the 30 was still a tad bit too pale. Number 40 is the best match that I've found. I love the fact that this foundation really does stay put and keeps my skin matte. I have slightly dry skin that tends to get a little flaky sometimes if I don't properly exfoliate my skin but easily gets oily after a few hours if I don't apply enough moisturizer before applying foundation. This foundation doesn't make my skin feel too tight like a lot of other matifying foundations and doesn't slip and disappear even when I have a slightly heavy moisturizer on underneath. Like other reviewers have mentioned, this foundation does dry fairly quickly. I was also told by an MA at Sephora that the best way to apply this foundation is to start in the middle of the face and to work outwards because it dries quickly and it's easier to blend that way. I tested this out in the hot Las Vegas weather this past weekend and hands down, this is the best foundation that I have found. It took awhile for me to find a perfect color match, but it's definitely worth taking the time to find the right shade. I also like the fact that the bottle is a plastic squeeze bottle which makes it more sanitary and easy to travel with. I did notice that on two of the bottles that I got that some of the foundation sort of oozed out when I first opened it but it's fine now and doesn't do that at all. I will definitely be repurchasing this foundation in the future.

on 5/24/2007 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

Very good color selection for my skin tone. Goes on smoothly and stays on very well for my very oily skin and it doesn't turn orange like most foundations do when my skin becomes oily late in the day.. Recommend using a foundation brush with it for easy blending.

on 5/24/2007 3:28:00 PM

I used MAC Studio Fix Fluid for a month and I thought that was the best liquid foundation out there. I kept debating for weeks whether or not I wanted to buy another liquid foundation since I still have more than enough. The price for Mat Velvet also kinda turned me off because it is $34 USD at Sephora. BUT... I finally purchased this a few weeks ago and have NO regrets at all! I will never use MAC SFF again! Unlike SFF, Mat Velvet gave me such a flawless NATURAL matte finish without looking like I'm even wearing makeup at all! (I use my 187 to apply it BUT you'll have to really exfoliate & moisturize well before you apply this foundation - or else it won't look as nice & natural.) Like other reviewers mentioned, it does dry pretty fast so you'll have to work pretty quickly. I have a very oily forehead and this has kept my oilies at bay for quite a while. It didn't even feel heavy at the end of a 8+ hours work day! (I never wanted to touch my face at all when I wore SFF because it would always slide right off! Ew, right?) But Mat Velvet just felt so natural! After several hours, I have a very slight healthy dewy look, instead of that oily look that most other liquid foundations gave me. I would definitely recommend this to the oily girls! I thought this foundation was just hype until I actually tried it. I used this for a 2 weeks already & have not had any breakouts! (I broke out from Maybelline Superstay Silky.) I'd say this gave me medium coverage, but I could build it up without being heavy. You'll have to use concealer if you want to cover up dark acne marks. Would update more later! (For reference, I'm NC20 in MAC SFF and NC25 in MAC SF Powder & got a perfect match in Mat Velvet in #30.) EDIT: I realized that even after 8+ hours, my skin is still super smooth when I touch it! (This works wonders if you use Sofina sunscreen underneath the foundation.) It's like I'm not even wearing foundation at all! Mat Velvet doesn't slide off, feel oily, or anything else at all (unlike MAC SFF). This is HG status!! (Did I mention that I look sooo much better in pictures with Mat Velvet on instead of MAC SFF?? My skin looks especially better in close-up pictures! )