November 26, 2014 | 1791 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2010 6:24:00 PM More reviews by jejkim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This is a good foundation, not HG status, but good enough where I'd use it on a daily basis.

It has a very fluid liquid texture, glides/blends on/into skin well and leaves a light to between medium/heavy coverage. With the lighter color, Barcelona, I don't need concealer, but do need concealer with Syracuse. This foundation does look like skin and applies sheer, meaning it almost feels like you don't have foundation on. Feels super light, which has nothing to do with coverage.

This doesn't make my large pores look any better, but overall, it will give you a nice semi matte finish. When I first started using this, it was just matte and felt/looked flat. You have to give it a couple of hours for a glow to show up. It definitely looks better on as time goes by (a couple of hours) and the colors are going to look different on different skin types.

This foundation does look great in photos, with/without flash, at night and in various types of lighting and is also good for video. The ingredients are supposedly formulated to be beneficial to skin, which is an added bonus. Pricey, but good for the skin.

The bottle needs a pump. Otherwise, the packaging is modern/fresh looking.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by sv

My favorite foundation to date is MUFE HD (#115) for summer & MUFE Mat Velvet + (025) for winter. For reference, I wear MAC Select (NW15) MAC Mineralize Satinfinish (NW20). Curiousity sent me to Sephora to test the sheer glow. The MA matched me to Deauville. Took it home, tried it out, found it to be waaaaay to yellow on me. I returned it and ordered Mont Blanc Sheer Glow and Sheer Matte on the Nars website (Sephora does not carry Mont Blanc), and also purchased the Nars primer. I did my usual routine of moisturizer, primer, foundation. I was dissapointed in the extreme amount of oily shine on my face only a few hours after application (with both the sheer glow and matte). One day I dropped the moisturizer and used only the Nars primer (it is moisturizing on its own), and I got great results. My makeup lasts a long time. Its ranking up there with my beloved MUFE. I will buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2010 2:05:00 AM More reviews by lisztomania

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

For reference, I am NC 30 with combination skin.

Pros:
- Light-weight formula makes it go on easy and blends quite naturally
- Water-based is ideal for oily skin
- Buildable coverage

Cons:
- I was matched with the wrong color-match: Santa Fe (too light)
- Would accentuate my dry patches
- Not exactly a "sheer glow" foundation - makes my face look a bit dull

Overall - really expensive foundation that I'm not totally happy with.. maybe if the colour match suited me then I may purchase again... I think I can find better foundations out there

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2010 5:18:00 AM More reviews by OneEva

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got my NARS Sheer Glow the other day and got it with a colour match with the help of the Mecca MUA. I've got it in Fiji and it's a perfect colour match for me (I'm a fair but slightly beige asian in winter and have a slight tan in summer). I absolutely love this foundation at the moment because it leaves my skin looking very natural(not covered like a mask) even though it doesn't have a "sheer" coverage like the name. Even the MUA at Mecca stated that it doesn't have a sheer coverage, in fact it's medium to full coverage depending on application. However I've found that you can make it sheer by applying it with fingers and a damp sponge. If you don't want to use your fingers you can put some on your hand to warm it a little and apply with a brush. It feels very light on the skin and feels so soft to touch, it's hard to resist touching your face once you've got it on.
The funniest thing happened the other day when I was wearing my NARS sheer glow. My friends came up to me and asked if i was washing my face differently or if I I had a treatment because my skin looked flawless. They were shocked when I said I got a new NARS foundation and I can happily say I influenced them to get a new bottle of foundation. :)
An added bonus of this foundation is that you don't need to use a lot because it blends so well. I only use approximately pea size amount. This means the foundation is going to last quite a while.
The finish is not luminous and "glowy" but semi matte and looks very good in photo's. I've also noticed that the glow increases as the day progresses but it's not an oily build up.I don't have an oil build up near my T-zone at the end of the day so that's great.
Some have stated that its ridiculous without a pump but I don't think it affects you that much. It's not ridiculously hard to get out without the pump and might be a little messy if you rigorously shake it and aren't careful once you pour it out then you'll get a heap of foundation on your hand (it's slightly runny).
One thing that I don't like about NARS sheer glow is how expensive it is. I wish it was a little cheaper in Australia instead of costing $100 over here in AUS at Mecca. But it's definitely a foundation I would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2010 1:45:00 PM More reviews by makeupaddict76

It's a medium to full coverage foundation, I have it in Stromboli but I'll get Barcelona if I get tanner(Ref NC35-40). I tried it with different primers such as Benefit That Gal, MUFE HD, MAC's P&P Refined Zone, and Cosmedicine Medi-Matte. I tried it using different brushes such as MAC's 109, 190, 187, Sephora#55, #45 and finally my fingers. I also tried it with different finishing powders such as MUFE HD, MAC's Studio Fix, loose powder, and MSF Natural. Even though I'm using all these different techniques and products, Nars Sheer Glow foundation always deliver great coverage and finish, very impressed and happy with this product. It's easier to blend when I prepare my face with toner or charge water before the application. It does look bit yellow and matte on my oily asian skin but after one hour, it blends perfectly with my skin tone and looks dewy and healthy, looks great in photography. I do need to blot after few hours but doesn't bother me. In the summer time, my face gets oilier so I want to try the Sheer Matte version. The bottle without the pump is bit annoying…

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2010 12:01:00 PM More reviews by 99pop99

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

At the start of the day this product looks fantastic, although saying sheer, like everyone else, gives a medium coverage, and gives a 'glow', but not dewy, look to your face. But this is at the start of the day. throughout the day my tzone, which isnt that oily, but oily enough for this, makes the foundation separate and enlarges my pores. not very nice at all. feels light, but sometimes looking at it just makes me cringe, and im not really one for touching up through out the day (in school) so i leave it. oh god i dislike it. the only reason i wear it is because i have some red spots on my cheeks. on some days, also, if my skin isnt to happy, the foundadtion goes on really cakey. strange.

DONT USE PRIMER! last time i used primer with this product it made my face really cakey, eeew,!

i wont rebuy this, and if you have slightly bad skin i do not recommend it to you. im going to try shu uemura face architect next, that sounds preettty good!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2010 7:20:00 AM More reviews by itsjustme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

ryssakaprincess below me gave a very accurate review of the product. This is more medium to fmedium full coverage depending on how you apply it. Firstly, I would describe the texture as very liquidy and spreads easily and evenly, I read somewhere that you can only use this with a water based primer, this is not true. I spent a day trying it with the nars primer (water based) on one side and MAC Prep & Prime on the other. I noticed the nars primer helped it to blend better but apply anything after this including blusher and it gets a lil cakey. It will also fade quicker and be less transfer resistent, even using blotting sheets took some makeup off which has never happened before.

Back to the foundation, I could not apply it with my fingers, maybe I am so used to using brushes but it came out a bit streaky. I even compared one side with my 187 and one with fingers. With the 187 it gave more coverage (i like medum to full coverage) and it looked much more even, slightly airbrushed. After 3 days of experimentation, I noticed the best way for me to apply it was pouring onto my hand which gave it warmth, then with the 187 and stippling it onto my face then blending slightly. I noticed with this foundation you can NOT blend too much, this was my mistake at first and I hated it as it stuck to my pores and spots, making my face look weird. The foundation drys to a sticky finish. It is almost like it sticks to your face but still feels sticky to touch. I would compare it to the way MAC lipglass sticks to the lips. As a result of this I found stippling it was the best as moving it in circular motions and buffing too much thinned it and made it cling to pores and spots euugh. Because this foundation drys quickly it means you may have to work a bit faster then if you are used to working with liquid foundation with dewy finish. However as a positive, because it drys quickly it means as soon as you have done 1 layer, you can add another layer for more coverage straightaway and it will not look cakey. I apply 2 layers every day and use about 1 and a half pumps so not actually that much. I have tried using 4 layers bout 2 pumps and found it gave full coverage.
THE FINISH OF THE FOUNDATION- if you were looking for a dewy foundation or a sheer foundation like a tinted moisturiser, this is not for you. It gives just a bit less then medium coverage with 1 layer of foundation and the glow comes from the way it reflects the light, it is a semi matte finish. It must be set with powder but it will last ALLL day. I tried it 1 day without any setting powder and it lasted 8 hours but was easily coming off with only a slight touch and was not the same coverage as when I first applied it. With settting powder it lasts bout 16 hours. I noticed this foundation gets better as the day goes on, it mixes more with my natural face oils and lives more up to its name 'sheer glow' as for the first two hours, it was a bit too matte for me. For this reason I would advise to sample this for the day.
THE COLOURS: the colour range is absolutely fantastic, this is the first time ever with a foundation that I have been able to wear 2 shades of the same line (new orleans and benares). Usually I struggle finding 1. I cannot really comment on the lighter colours but for the ladies of colour, I would suggest to try on at least 3 different colours as the colour range is not so straight forward, some colours are listed as being lighter than another but actually they are not. Also it seems some colours come out differently on different skin colours that are not that different, it seems to be something to do with undertones? I would say for example I found new orleans which is listed as medium dark to come out darker than new guinea which is listed as dark. Then trinidad(dark 3) which is listed as having yellow undertones seemed more reddish and was lighter than benares (dark 2) which it is listed after. I think it is important for this reason to go somewhere which sells the ENTIRE range so you do not miss out, If you live in London this would be Selfridges and Liberty. Harvey nichols space nk had most of it but seemed to be running out and other space nks only go up to new guinea (dark 1). The shades I had to choose between were new orleans and benares. I have yellow undertones but my skin colour is slightly reddish. both colours looked orangey which i guess works as yellow plus red= orange. Both seemed to have yellow undertones with benares being just the slightest bit of a red tone. new orleans was a bit too light but would be perfect for winter. new orleans is the shade naomi campbell uses. Benares is perfect for MAC NW47 but was a bit too dark for me. both seemed to work as honestly in the bottle benares and new orleans look so alike. 1 is just slightly darker, (benares). I noticed if you have oily skin, the foundation will oxidise without a primer, I first tried it on without one and benares went way dark and orange after 4 hours. With a primer though as a barrier I had no problems, more so with the MAC P+P than Nars primer. Also the colour is very concentrated and I think thats how the coverage looks fuller as it gets more concentrated as the semi matte loook wears off and gets more of a glow.

NEGATIVES- the only negatives I can find is that possibly I might have to mix 2 shades for an exact perfect match and that it has no pump, otherwise it is PERFECT and lasts alll day.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2010 7:24:00 PM More reviews by rysskayaprincess

I think my 6 years of finding the "perfect" foundation has ended. I never was satisfied fully with any foundation I have purchased in the past. To name just a few Dior, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Chanel, Mac, Ysl etc. At first I would like the foundation and then I would find all the flaws but with sheer glow it is a totally different experience. It applies smoothly just like a lotion or a cream. The coverage is medium/ full depending on how you like it. The best thing is that it looks natural once applied and stays put around 5/6 hours nicely, after that it may go abit shiny but not super oily just a nice glow. I have combination/oily skin that is prone to break outs and mild redness and this foundation gives me a nice natural looking coverage whilst covering my flaws and making my face to appear healthy and radiant as the day progresses. When wearing this foundation I don't worry about my face looking dull as with many foundations you get uneven skin texture as the day goes and also many foundations settle in your facial expressions but with this I do not get any of that. I also have noticed that this foundation covers flaws really nicely. It is sheer which does suprise me how well it covers but yet still looks very natural. I love that as I have uneven skin texture many foundations looked very cakey on me because I had to always wear full coverage but with this foundation it is a different story. This foundation would suit many skin types but dry skin types should be aware that the skin should be fully moisturised before applying this foundation as it does settle on the dry parts of the face by making the skin look alot drier than it may actually be. For that part Im not to sure why it states on the packeging that it is suitable for drier skin types maybe due to the part that it is a water based foundation it may provide hydration throughout the day and make the skin look less dry. Also for the pump part I really dont mind, I just shake the bottle turn it upside down and pour some foundation on my index finger and then apply it in dots all over my face and finally spread it with a foundation brush such as "Gosh". Really easy and simple technique which works for me. Fingers do a really good job at applying this foundation but as I have combination to oily skin I really do not want to apply more oil on my face.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2010 1:45:00 AM More reviews by martha0021

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After all the hype about this poduct, wonderful reviews, and appealing name "Sheer Glow" I had to run and get it! I was so excited to use it but now very disappointed. I guess its my dry skin that ruined it for me. After an hour of having it on it shows my dry skin.. patches of dry skin but only on the area around my nose because that is my driest area. I wanted this foundation to work sooo bad because It definetly has it's pros: easy to blend, oil free, fragrance free, medium coverage, buildable, and I can really she the glow when I wear it. But, I can not wear a product that will make me look unhealthy and if it's making my skin look unhealthy then, it is not doing it any good. I'd like to add, for a product that retails for $42.00 it should really, really come with a pump!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2010 9:37:00 PM More reviews by fading_visions

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this foundation (I haven't used it enough to say that I love it) and Gobi matches me perfectly. Being asian, it's a bit of a chore to find a good match. I got four samples of this at Sephora to make SURE I had the right shade. Both Fiji and Deauville were too dark for me, Mont Blanc was a touch too light and too pink. I found my perfect match in Gobi! I really like the texture and how it makes my skin look. No, this is not sheer or glowy. It is more like medium coverage, satin finish - perfect for hiding most of my flaws on my combination skin. It looks super natural and photographs beautifully. At the end of the day, there is minimal fading and I don't need to blot.

YES, this will cling to dry patches but I find that most foundations do that unless they are very, very moisturizing, creamy foundations. The biggest complaint seems to be that the foundation comes without a pump/you have to buy it separately. I read somewhere that NARS believes the best way to apply this is with your hands and having a pump would encourage one to use brushes. Yes, it can be messy if you pour it out onto a palette/ the back of your hand so what I do is shake the bottle with my finger over the opening and use the foundation that has collected on my finger. That's pretty much all I need for my entire face anyway.

The only complaint I have is that it is $61CAD (including taxes) but I will continue purchasing because it is so hard for me to find something that's a perfect match, doesn't oxidize on me, stays all day and looks like my skin but better.