September 23, 2014 | 949 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Primer

rated 3 of 5 on 2/29/2008 4:30:00 PM More reviews by selene_gal5

I bought this product a week ago and only used it a few times because I thought it was a little slippery and oily. But then again I have oily acne-prone skin. It did however help my makeup stay longer and gave me a glow. I think this might be a great primer for dryer skin. I will now return it for their lighter version.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2008 3:06:00 PM More reviews by rotabega

I have combo skin with extremely oily t-zone. I mean extremely. I was looking for something to control the glaring shine I have about 2 hours after applying make-up. I'm new to primers and bought this on a whim at Ulta. I was very pleased that Ulta said they would gladly accept a return on the used product if I was unhappy with it, so I had nothing to lose.

I have to say, I'm impressed so far! I didn't notice it doing much at first. But around lunchtime I noticed that my face didn't feel greasy and gross the way it normally does. I am normally blotting with Clean and Clear sheets every few hours.

Around 4 o'clock in the day, I finally couldn't resist my habit and whipped out a C&C sheet. The amount of oil, or should I say the lack of oil, was shocking! There was only a tiny bit, and mostly at the edges of my nose. Normally my forehead is a nightmare and takes 2 sheets to clear off. So far I've not experienced breakouts with the primer, and I'm very prone.

It's a little more expensive that I'd normally be willing to pay, but oil control without overdrying has been almost impossible for me to find. This stuff is heaven. The initial feel of it is a little freaky (it's so silky it'll make you think it's just globbing more oil on your face), but it actually feels amazing and light when you swipe it on, and a little goes a long way.

I gave it only a 4 because I'm still worried about breakouts. I know they have a light version for oily skin and I'm going to give that a try too. A few more days of use and if my skin stays clear and the oil stays controlled, it'll definitely be a 5!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2008 7:05:00 PM More reviews by sanckensmom

I've purchased this twice..once, the regular photo primer with okay results but many breakouts....the second time, the light version, that is supposedly a lot of water...does not break me out, but does nothing for my skin. It does help my make up to go on easily (give's a lotion like slip) but does not fill in any pores (what I want a primer for) or make my make up last longer, etc...it really serves no purpose, will never buy this again...I am looking for a primer to fill in lines, fill pores, etc...

rated 2 of 5 on 2/25/2008 3:25:00 PM More reviews by ktbzee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this for about a month and was not all that impressed. It did add a lot of slip to my face, but does little for hiding pores and making my foundation last. Maybe it is more suitable for someone with dry skin. I have combo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2008 1:47:00 AM More reviews by kayemarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a makeup case staple of mine. I have very dry skin and there is a noticeable difference in my makeup application when I use this and when I don't. In fact, I won't apply my makeup without it! It leaves a very silky even base for your makeup to just glide on and it only takes a tiny bit to go a long way.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2008 4:56:00 AM More reviews by holliberri

I got this primer as part of a smashbox kit I purchased. I've heard so many good things about it that I was really excited to try it. I put it on before my sheer cover, but it didn't really do anything for me. It did make my skin feel a little smoother, but there was no difference in the shine or the application of my makeup. For me, this was just not the right product. It was neither bad or good.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2008 10:18:00 AM More reviews by jsammurtok

I'd say that this stuff worked great for me. There a lot of bad reviews for the primer, but everyone needs different things. I use to suffer from acne really bad when I was a teenager; but after my skin matured a little I was able to control that acne, and this primer really helps with filling in the lines and scars that I have. No issues with oiliness as well, just super silky softness!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2008 6:32:00 PM More reviews by tmarisco

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am not prone to acne and I have "normal" skin. This product is ideal for me. I mix some vanilla pigment with my moisturizer, apply it, let it dry, then put the Photo Finish over that. I use BE, and I find that with this primer, the BE doesn't have that "powder on top of skin" look to it (when i didn't use this primer, my BE looked awful). It makes my skin look flawless, really. The texture isn't for everyone. I really like how smooth it feels, but if you get freaked out by greasy-feeling things (even though it doesn't look greasy), stay away from this stuff. Also, smashbox now makes "Photo Finish Light" that is more suited for acne-prone skin.

Also, I agree about the glass bottle issue. You end up losing a lot of product. Bad score on packaging for that.

I have tried other primers, but I always come back to this one. My main recommendation would be to go to an Ulta or Sephora or something and TRY it before you shell out the money for it. That way, you won't be too disappointed if you hate it.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/18/2008 1:53:00 AM More reviews by TopModelDiva

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

THANK GOD I didn't buy this..it came in my Supermodel kit that I received for Christmas. I wanted to like it so much because it's a cult favorite and everyone (except for the reviewers on this site, incidentally) raves about it. The only reason why I gave it a 2 is because I like the way it felt on my skin, nice and silky but it made my face shine like a brand new Cadalliac after I put my foundation and powder
And for the cost? Ridiculous. Please spend your $15 on some Essie polish or UD liner (my current obsessions)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/17/2008 1:31:00 PM More reviews by lydster65

I have to be honest, I just don't 'get' this product at all. It feels greasy and slippery (I guess it is supposed to ...???), and I find that my makeup won't even 'stick' to it. It's just a yucky feeling on my skin all around. I'm not a primer newbie, by the way, and others that I have used (Benefit Dr. Feelgood, Bare Escentuals primer) seemed to work fine. This one is so, SO slippery! Fortunately I only bought the smaller trial size. After re-reading some of the positive reviews here, I'm going to try it again, but I really don't think it's something I can get used to at all.