September 20, 2014 | 1959 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2008 12:41:00 AM More reviews by sarahjadefitz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for about a year now and I've noticed a big difference in my skin. The first time I tried it, it burned a little bit so I was afraid that it would be too harsh, but after the third day, it didn't sting and my skin was softer and had a glow. I've got acne-prone skin and this helps a lot. I use this at night and I use Dior HydrAction Deep Hydration Defense Fluid in the morning. This combination seems to work wonders for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2008 8:21:00 PM More reviews by christina74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I tried to love this product line, but no go, I put this on in the morning and before lunch I hate a huge whitehead on my nose (I was so embarassed!) Took it right back :(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2008 9:42:00 PM More reviews by goodbyexxkitty

This is a wonderful moisturizer! I've been using it for a few weeks now and so far I love it. I've had no breakouts, like I do with some other moisturizers. It works great on my dry skin and makes it feel very soft without being greasy. Some people mentioned they don't like the smell, it doesn't bother me at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2008 11:43:00 AM More reviews by guil

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this product. I have combination (normal/oily) skin, prone to occasional breakouts. I need a moisturizer that is more "balancing" than "moisturizing" and this is the one for me. This spreads very easily, with the slip of a silicone, and without the greasiness of a heavier moisturizer. I have not yet gotten any acne from this and I have been using it for two weeks. I use this product at night only.

I cannot tell a lie, this is highly scented! It smells like Gin to me, but I got over the scent as this really performs very well on my skin. I would rather if this came in a tube instead of a jar, The only other product I can compare this to in terms of performance is Murad Skin Perfecting lotion, which has a much nicer scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2008 8:01:00 PM More reviews by eringer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Oprah uses this one, and has nothing but good things to say about it. You think, Oprah would know her sh*t... she can buy any product she wants, however, she missed the mark on this one!

I have oily skin... prone to breakouts. At 26, I want something for prevention, something that will be good to my skin.

The aroma is that of lavender. I see that alot of ppl don't like the smell, however, I don't mind it at all. It also dissipates quickly. I like the jar application too... it is totally sanitary if you have clean hands when applying it, which you should have anyways when putting on moisturizer. It doesn't sink in and leaves a weird residue. After using my mineral makeup, my skin feels oily already.

Throughout the day, the shininess is AWFUL!! This is not one for oily skin AT ALL, even though it says 'for all skin types' (huge lie... no moisturizer is good for ALL skin types!) Bought it for $50 at Sephora in Canada, and that is too pricey for this product. I've used it twice, and now I will give it away. Shame! Hype in a Jar.

The search continues.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2008 1:27:00 AM More reviews by Kristy7852

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Luckily every jar I have of this has been received in a kit I've bought. I'd never buy this product on its own. First of all, it has on odd scent which I could easily get over if it was actually a good product. The consistency of this moisturizer is different. It feels really wet when applied to the skin but after it soaks in my skin doesn't feel all that moisturized. The main problem I have with this product is that my eyes burn and water like crazy is I use it around the eye area. I looked at the jar and it doesn't say not to use around the eye area but it does recommend hope in a tube. I think there should be a warning on it. Its kind of strange that a line of skincare that is supposed to be medically based and safe for sensitive skin would burn your eyes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2008 1:40:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

Can you say, "Ewww?" Maybe that's a bit harsh, but honestly for the price it should NOT smell like medicine. I was introduced to Philosophy while watching QVC. Before that I have never even heard of Philosophy. I was always on the lookout for a moisturizer that was, well...moisturizing. I have normal/ dry skin and I used to use mineral makeup until I noticed dry patches on my face. I bought this item in one of their skincare kits, and I was first put off by the strong scent it had. It reminded me of the smell of medicine. It was so overpowering I dreaded puting it on my face, but the dry patches of skin out won the smell. The product seemed to sink into my skin and not feel greasy ~ so far so good. After about a week of using this stuff, I didn't break out either which was another plus. But still, the smell was too overwhelming, even DH didn't want to kiss me as he couldn't stand the smell either. I forgot how much this is by iteslf, as I purchased it in a kit, but if I remember correctly from seeing it at Sephora, it is expensive ($30+), and that is for only 1oz. It comes in a screw top jar that is not hygenic (sp?), especially when one had long nails as it gets under the nails (gross) when trying to dig it out. So, to sum it up...this stuff did moisturize my face w/out any breakouts, but the price is too much for too little of product, and the nasty scent was a major issue for me...will NOT ever repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2007 4:28:00 PM More reviews by mayflower184

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Saw this on TV and was looking for a night time moisturizer, so I gave it a try. I really can't understand how this sells at all. The smell alone put me off, but I tried it for a few weeks to see how it worked. Moisturized okay, but no better than many drugstore brands or those from Paula's Choice (also don't smell great because they don't contain fragrance), but for the money, I expected a lot more. I also then realized that one of the ingredients (retinyl palmitate) is not known to be safe for pregnant women (which I am). That was it, and the rest of the jar (which I also don't care much for due to contamination) got pitched into the trash. I've moved on to Clinique Repairware, which also comes in a jar and isn't cheap, but I'm liking it better already after only a couple of days in this very dry winter weather.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2007 10:56:00 PM More reviews by bluegirl77

After seeing all the rave reviews on TV and magazines, like so many others did, I took the plunge and purchased HIAJ. I have combination skin, and haven't noticed any real positive change in my skin texture or appearance since I began using it. In fact, I'm pretty sure i get little bumps and flare-ups as a result! I really don't like the strong medicine-y smell, nor does my boyfriend. It consistently burns or stings my skin, making it essentially a waste of money :( I tried to be optimistic about this product, perhaps it may work for others, but it's no good for my face.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2007 1:22:00 AM More reviews by shanahs

i really tried to like this moisturizer, but it really dried out my skin. the texture feels really nice when i apply it on my face initially, but because of the lactic acid in the ingrediant to exfoliate your face, my skin ends up feeling really dry and flaky. i should also mention that it smells awful too. i would not buy this again.