January 30, 2015 | 1075 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2007 8:58:00 PM More reviews by STi43

This was my first MUFE item and I was very excited to try it. The coverage is medium to full, and the finish is very smooth and matte. I love the squeeze bottle, it helps conserve this (pretty) expensive foundation and is also very sanitary. I found it covered many of my blemishes and discoloration. However, I still needed concealer with it. You do not need alot of product but I do recommend blending very quickly because it dries very quickly on your face. I try to exfoliate twice a week and moisturize with a heavy moisturizer before applying Mat Velvet+. If not, YOU WILL SEE FLAKES. I had a hard time making this work, but I finally did. I use Cetaphil's moisturizing cream, then immediately follow with MAC's Prep + Prime and right after I spread the foundation across my face and buff in with my MAC 187 brush, use Laura Mercier's Secret Camouflage concealer and set with Laura Mercier's Translucent Powder. My skin looks lovely, completely flawless and matte. Even after 6 hours and NO touch ups, my skin is STILL matte (Can you believe it?!). One thing I LOVE about this foundation is that it doesn't oxidize like many foundations do on my oily skin. However, if you do see flakes, you NEED a heavier moisturizer and you NEED to exfoliate. Overall, Mat Velvet+ is definitely worth the money, and gives me the coverage and finish I need. Plus no breakouts! Yay !!

I wear this in #40, and am usually a MAC NC25/C3, GA 5.5, and LM TM in Nude.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2007 1:40:00 PM More reviews by jamejame

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hate it! Especially that curved spatula thing that serves absolutely NO purpose but to get in the way and slop foundation all over everything. I'm glad to see that the person who designed the MUFE spatula has gone on to bigger and better things and is now apparently planning strategy in the Iraqi war situation. As for the foundation itself, yuck! The color match starts out perfect, but winds up patchy and dark in areas after a while. Dries too quickly to blend well. (And I need extra blending time since I'm having to juggle the dreaded dripping spatula with the other hand.) I agree about the chalky look too. I just look ill wearing this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2007 11:48:00 AM More reviews by star_s_l_b

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I’m glad I’m not the only one who questions the validity of the “mattifying” claims this foundation has. I know I have slightly oily skin but I thought there must be something seriously wrong with my skin if the oilies can break through after a few hours!! As long as you take the mattifying claims with a grain of salt, this is a pretty good foundation. Expensive, but good. I learned the hard way this morning that a little bit of this stuff goes a long way, which is true for most of MUFE’s foundations and concealers. I put a blob on my makeup sponge and just about had to go down my neck to get all of it off! I really like the tube-tip container, it’s sanitary and makes it easier to dispense. I also like how soft and velvety my skin feels when I use it. All in all this is a good choice and even though I’ll probably try another brand next time I buy foundation, I can see myself coming back to this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2007 11:06:00 AM More reviews by soraya69

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know about its mattifying claim... I'm oily but not extremely oily, and this foundation keeps me matte for about an hour, then even with the Monistat primer underneath, I get oily.
Coverage is OK, medium I'd say, I still have to use concealer on my post-acne marks so it's definitely not full coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2007 7:56:00 PM More reviews by HRenfrewgrl

WOW! This is now my new HG! I was using Body&Soul foundation because it was the only foundation the matched my yellow skintone. Although it matched my skin the 2n1 powder broke my out but foundation stick did not and also it did not do anything for the oil on my face. BUT this DOES! This stuff is awesome! It matches my skin and controls the oil and does not break me out! Here is the list of foundations that I've bought and did not work out for me because of either color, it irritated my skin, or clogged my pores(eww zits/bumps): Chanel Double Perfection Compact, Chanel Double Perfection Liquid, Laura Mercier Compact Foundation, Shiseido Hydro Liquid Compact, NARS Powder Foundation Revlon Colorstay, Revlon SkinLights Diffusing Tint Foundation, Max Factor Compact, MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation, Prescriptives Powderful, Prescriptives Exact Match foundation, Cargo Oil Free Foundation, L'Oreal Feel Perfect Compact, Biotherm Sense Matte Foundation, IMAN Second to None Powder Foundation, Maybelline Pure Makeup, Maybelline True Illusion (compact and liquid), and Maybelline Wonder Finish

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2007 4:04:00 PM More reviews by grlsmith

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

While I chose the wrong color, this is still a good product and I can imagine that it would be GREAT if I had the right color. For now I'll just stick with the Face and Body.

As for the spatula, I figured its purpose was to allow the product to drip in a controlled manner onto the fingers, sponge, etc, without contaminating the rest of the bottle with bacteria. I actually liked the spatula.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2007 11:29:00 AM More reviews by sweetcaroline

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this once I saw it in Sephora's newest catalog. I'm always looking for a perfect mattifying foundation with a good yellow undertone for my Asian skin. (My sister thinks I'm obsessive!) Lasting power is also important to me, since I've been using Revlon's Colorstay with Softflex. I like the squeeze bottle and the mattifying formula. Luckily it doesn't make my skin look dry. I have an oily T-Zone and yesterday I wore this to work (6am-5pm) it looked great, didn't even powder once. I use primer underneath, which helps give it slip, otherwise, it may not blend very well on unmoisturized skin. Love the staying power, goes well with the Full Coverage concealor. Too bad they don't have SPF anymore. Claims to be water resistant so I tested it by working out at home with the makeup on. When I dabbed my skin with a towel, there was almost no transfer and no sliding goo on my face anywhere.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/26/2007 6:31:00 AM More reviews by ruthiepa

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH Sharpeijowls, what is that spatula thing for ? Uhhh, maybe so you can waste some of this and have to buy more sooner ? Anyhow... I like a full coverage foundation. I was told this was the best and found a perfect color match for my olive skin. ( #2 ) I was very surprised that this stuff has NO staying power ! I have normal skin with maybe a tiny bit of dryness when the weather here in PA is cold. This feels like having a light coating of grease on my face ??? It wore off quickly and did not have a good coverage at all. I tried it over primer, under primer, without primer, with concealer, without... blah blah blah.. It is just bad stuff. Even with my normal poweder over it, it just has a greasy feel on and I do not have oily skin. I would never buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/1/2007 8:48:00 AM More reviews by sharpeijowls

I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is I don't like about this foundation. Well, that little spatula thing is horrible, so that I can be specific about. What is the deal with that little spatula? I use my fingers to apply my liquid foundation and I like to tip the bottle to get just a little foundation on my finger and work from there. Impossible with this setup. The spatula is just in the way, and what the hell do I do with it after I open the bottle. I just want to tip my little foundation bottle on my finger like I always do, but no, I've got this awkward dripping spatula to deal with. The foundation itself I'm more vague about. I don't exactly hate it, but I don't like it either. It dries very quickly and is not easy to blend because of that. Also, it just does not make my skin look better, which is what I kind of want my foundation to do when I drop $37 on it. It looks almost chalky, and I have combo skin, so dry folks need not apply. Plus the color seems to go muddy after a while. I don't know - all I can tell you is this is just not a flattering foundation for me. I'm taking it back. Update: Okay, I gave it another try. It's official. I hate it! Just makes my skin look like this awful dingy mud-colored mess. Definitely going back.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2006 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Libertyne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i love this foundation. MUFE has best foundations (next to Armani) and this is my absolute favorite matte foundation. i actually have dry skin and normally matte foundations accentuates it but not this one. normally i stay away from matte foundations but seeing as its the "in thing" right now i definitely wanted to find one that would work for my skin. i have seriously searched high and low and i find that this one is the most natural looking and long lasting of them all. it comes in a jar and has a spoon-like thing attached to the lid that you can use to take out the amount of product needed. although i found the packaging to be annoying at first, i have gotten use to it and find it much more handier than having to pour out the product (which is what i have to do with their face & body foundation).i feel i should warn you, this foundation is fairly thick, cream consistency, and a little goes a long way. i really don't need concealor with this one, seeing as the coverage is about medium-full coverage. but in the case that you would need to use concealor, i feel that this works extremely well MUFE's Full Cover concealor.
this foundation is everything i wished MAC studio fix fluid would be.
for reference i am a MAC nc40-42 and i wear #10 in this foundation.