Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 5/24/2007 3:28:00 PM

I used MAC Studio Fix Fluid for a month and I thought that was the best liquid foundation out there. I kept debating for weeks whether or not I wanted to buy another liquid foundation since I still have more than enough. The price for Mat Velvet also kinda turned me off because it is $34 USD at Sephora. BUT... I finally purchased this a few weeks ago and have NO regrets at all! I will never use MAC SFF again! Unlike SFF, Mat Velvet gave me such a flawless NATURAL matte finish without looking like I'm even wearing makeup at all! (I use my 187 to apply it BUT you'll have to really exfoliate & moisturize well before you apply this foundation - or else it won't look as nice & natural.) Like other reviewers mentioned, it does dry pretty fast so you'll have to work pretty quickly. I have a very oily forehead and this has kept my oilies at bay for quite a while. It didn't even feel heavy at the end of a 8+ hours work day! (I never wanted to touch my face at all when I wore SFF because it would always slide right off! Ew, right?) But Mat Velvet just felt so natural! After several hours, I have a very slight healthy dewy look, instead of that oily look that most other liquid foundations gave me. I would definitely recommend this to the oily girls! I thought this foundation was just hype until I actually tried it. I used this for a 2 weeks already & have not had any breakouts! (I broke out from Maybelline Superstay Silky.) I'd say this gave me medium coverage, but I could build it up without being heavy. You'll have to use concealer if you want to cover up dark acne marks. Would update more later! (For reference, I'm NC20 in MAC SFF and NC25 in MAC SF Powder & got a perfect match in Mat Velvet in #30.) EDIT: I realized that even after 8+ hours, my skin is still super smooth when I touch it! (This works wonders if you use Sofina sunscreen underneath the foundation.) It's like I'm not even wearing foundation at all! Mat Velvet doesn't slide off, feel oily, or anything else at all (unlike MAC SFF). This is HG status!! (Did I mention that I look sooo much better in pictures with Mat Velvet on instead of MAC SFF?? My skin looks especially better in close-up pictures! )

on 5/17/2007 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

It hard being a woman of colour when finding the right shade for your complexion. I've been using this foundation for 2 weeks now (#75) and it's great. It doent make me breakout and it stays on all day! The only thing I don't like is the foundation is a little on the thick side and its expensive, but I guess its worth when its so hard to find a shade and a foundation that doesn't make you breakout.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Please pay attention - the Mat Velvet has been revised - it no longer is made with a paddle applicator, it is a new formula in a squeeze type bottle and much better than before! If you are buying it with the paddle applicator, you are getting a discontinued product which indeed could look mask like on the skin.
Mat velvet is for sure the description - wearing incredibly well - EL doublewear was the one I relied on before for long wear, and MUF still isn't quite as long wearing - but this looks better and more natural on the skin. I do have to powder down with this slightly more often than EL.
This is highly pigmented, very creamy fluid that just glides on and dries down to a natural matte finish without any pearl or 'glow' to emphasize lines and pores and is not heavy on the skin. This is for sure my HG foundation and I've tried many many! For summer I got this in two colors so that I can custom blend them as I tan - No. 50 and No. 60 which probably comes out to about NC 40 and 45 in MAC would be my guess. These are not overly yellow colors - actually more neutral I would say, but no pink
whatsoever. Just lovely!

on 5/12/2007 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I just bought this foundation and the apricot primer. I really like this foundation. When mixed w/the MUFE primer in Apricot its nothing short of a miracle! The foundation is very med. coverage and TRUELY stays matt without being heavey or chalky or gross in any way. Its replaced my MUFE Face and Body Foundation. I highly recommend this as a summer foundation or for girls with oily skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

I tried this after many rave reviews on the boards. I'm PPP (way lighter than nw15) and #15 is a perfect match. It is the palest foundation shade I have ever come across in any line. For anyone who has been searching for a ghost shade, this is it.

I'm cool- neutral.. and this one is slightly pink, but barely. It's neutral with the slightest hint of pink, which is my coloring EXACTLY.

This one is best for oily skin types, I wore it in the summer when my normally normal/dry skin was a little oily.. and it worked well for that. Controls oil pretty well for the most part. Although it also doesn't wear as long as I'd like. About 6 hours...

Coverage is more medium towards full, but this stuff really highlights any flaws, acne scars, blemishes, etc.

I'm going back to my HG foundation with the cooler weather my skin type is back to normal with some dry patches.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have only worn this foundation twice so far but I am really liking it. I need a primer and have been playing around with those to get the perfect combo to work well with my oily skin. Tonight I put on makeup just cus I felt like it and I had to run to the mall. When I did blot a few hours later I barely had any oil on the sheet.

I was matched with #30 at sephora which is really a great match. it matches better than my MAC foundation which i should get rematched for but it's almost summer and i will be tanning so honestly i shouldn't be buying any more pale foundations, but i digress.

I haven't had an issue with it drying too fast while i am putting it on but that may be because of the primer under the foundation.

It hasn't looked cakey at all. I was worried it would look to flat but i personally like the matte look on my face since it is so oily after awhile the real matteness goes away since it mixes with some oils on my face but it doesn't look greaseballish (does that make sense??).

Well overall right now I am very pleased with this foundation and I can't wait to use it again. Hopefully this will be a HG for me.

on 5/6/2007 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I was initially hesitant about trying this foundation due to the price. Thirty-four dollars is not exactly expensive, but its more than I personally wanted to pay. Anyway, after reading some of the reviews I decided to go ahead and try it and I have to say that I am so glad that I did. I have been wearing this foundation daily for the past three weeks and I am very impressed with it. I have uber-oily skin and this foundation has helped me keep the oilies at bay. With other foundations I have formed the habit of blotting my makeup at certain times during the day and now I find that that is no longer necessary. Almost everytime I prepare to blot, I realize that my makeup is fine and I do not appear oily. I find that my makeup still looks great by the end of my work day. Just to be clear, I am not saying that I do not have to blot or touch up at all, but I use to have to blot and touch up my makeup anywhere from three to fives times a day, now, I do it twice.... once because I need to and then once more because old habits die hard.

Lastly, I love the coverage of this foundation. I have a few minor blemishes and use concealer to hide them, but with this foundation, that is no longer necessary. It covers my flaws and gives me a smoooth, beautiful, matte finish. I am so in love with this foundation and I will definitely buy it again. The cost will never again be an issue for me because this stuff is amazing! I think I have finally found my HG foundation!!

on 4/30/2007 10:16:00 AM

I thought I loved this foundation but it ended up turning my skin into the Sahara and made me look like a powdery old lady...

on 4/27/2007 6:15:00 PM

I purchased the #25 thru Sephora. Great foundation for oily skin! I have tried all and used all to include Bobbi Brown in warm ivory, Chanel Teint Innocense in cameo. This foundation stays longer than any other. I wear an spf 30 moisturizer under it (I now like Aveeno). I called the Makeupforever studio in New York and the lady who answered all my questions (a bunch!) was very nice in explaining and helping me with the foundation shades. I have also purchased their lipsticks and overall, I'm satisfied with their products.

on 4/26/2007 10:04:00 PM

The mattifying effect of this foundation simply didnt last long enough for me. I was super-oily by lunch time. Like the PP said, I saw tons of flakes which has never been a problem for me with my super-oily skin. After a week of exfoliating to help reduce flakes, I realized it was hopeless. Also, I found that there simply weren't enough color options at my local Sephora. The only carried the 5's not the 0's. 25 was too light for me and 35 was too dark, maybe 30 would have been a perfect match (MAC NW20). I did like the packaging though. Good thing I just got a sample because I am not impressed at all.