Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

I really like this foundation. It's very similar to Revlon's Color Stay Active but offers just a bit more coverage. Lasts just as long, looks just as good. I apply at 9 am and need to blot at Noon and again at 5 pm. That's pretty typical due to my extremely oily skin. One thing that does help with oil is that I apply acne.org's treatment gel (benzoyl peroxide). I apply that, let it dry and then apply my foundation. I like this foundation's packaging except you must be careful not to squeeze out too much....there's no putting it back in the bottle. If you want heavier coverage and a foundation that lasts, this is it. If you want a lasting foundation but want a more sheer coverage, try Revlon's Color Stay Active.

Update- not so crazy about this foundation any more. Whenever I blot, the foundation comes off on the tissue leaving behind skin with no coverage. It does absorb oil but tends to look caked on and very heavy by the end of the day. I use it now mostly for concealer. It does a great job covering up pimples along my jaw line.

This is my first review, which I am giving out of huge excitement over my new find- Mat Velvet! Let me explain what I was looking for: I am 20 years old and strugge with acne, most of which has vanished because of Daniel Kern's regimen, but I am left with many red spots, evidence of what once was. Also, I am a waitress and, in addition to my already oily skin, sweat profusely at work from the fast-paced, high-stress environment, and I am, often, left with a muddy mess on my face with which I must painfully approach each new table. NOT ANY MORE!! I made an appointment at Sephora for a make-up consultation, and the girl, who suffered from the same problems, suggested this product to me. I am so glad she did! This has wonderful coverage when coupled with Make up For Ever's full coverage concealer. The concealer is HIGHLY pigmented, which works miracles on my red spots. It is not too dry (so it does not cake or crackle) and has staying power! I dab this on with my finger and use a brush to apply Mat Velvet (the brush enables this quick-drying foundation to go on evenly, beautifully, and without over-doing it) and I finish with Coty powder (another big winner). The results are phenomenal, to say the least!!! Inside, outside, in the sun, in flourescent lighting, my less than beautiful skin is FLAWLESS!! It stays on through all my sweating at work, through the Memphis humidity, and when I say "stay", that is no exaggeration. It stays!! I look as fresh at midnight (and after) as I do when I first apply it in the early morning. No break-outs, no blotting every 20 minutes, no orange, no "mask", no "it only looks good in this kind of lighting", no bullshit, period. I get compliments on my skin all the time. Try this, try this, try this, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I have oddly colored skin- very pale but with a sallow tinge- I use #2 concealer and #20 foundation- perfect match.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

LOVE! I can't believe this has received so many poor reviews. I have "okay" skin with some discoloration. My skin is oily, but this doesn't make it feel greasy at all and it definitely hides the discoloration without being too heavy. A word of caution, however: do not use this with a silicone-based primer...this has a lot of silicone in it to begin with and using a primer makes it way too slick. Also, I cannot wear this to the gym, because it WILL come off on my towel. But for other days, or for going out, this is perfect.

This has been a godsend for covering my acne while im going through a rough time w/hormonal acne. Between this , the MUFE concealer, and the MUFE powder, I can go out of the house looking like I have flawless skin when I really don't!

In my seemingly endless search for a liquid foundation that doesnít break me out but still makes my skin look fresh, Iím glad to say this one fits the bill. For now at least, I can quit looking! My insanely acne-prone, oily skin wonít tolerate SPF, oil, light-reflecting pigments or any other superfluous ingredients Ė and thankfully, MUFE Mat Velvet + is refreshingly basic and no-nonsense. The packaging is brilliant Ė a squeezy plastic tube thatís hygienic and gives you great control over how much you can dispense. Coverage is a tad on the heavy side Ė I donít use much, its pretty concentrated. But it blends out VERY easily with no streaks whatsoever and looks quite natural (if I apply it thinly over moisturized skin that is). The finish is definitely leaning towards matte Ė which is fine with me. I adore the ďdewyĒ look most, but my skin never stays matte for more than 10 minutes anyway. Now hereís the hitch: those of you with super oily skin probably know that using mattifying products of any kind only exacerbate oiliness, and makes you shine even more. This foundation is no exception. I do tend to go through more oil-blotting sheets when I wear it Ė but to be honest, it doesnít bother me. Iím so overjoyed to find a foundation that doesnít clog my pores, Iíd blot every 20 minutes if I had to. One other caveat: like any other fuller-coverage foundation, it can highlight flaky or rough patches, if you have any. Thankfully, I use Retin-A and exfoliate regularly, so I donít have problems with roughness/flakes/large pores much anymore. As for the color selection, yeah I know itís not the best. I bought both 25 and 40 so I could mix the two in hopes of achieving a reasonable color match, and that seems to work. As concentrated as this Mat Velvet+ is, I donít mind buying 2 tubes of it, cause itíll last forever. Long story short, Iím in foundation heaven!

on 7/15/2007 11:24:00 AM

i LOVE this foundation. I have tried:
--MAC (as good as a non HE, not as light as others and fades off)

--Nars (not enough coverage, comes off easily, more expensive & dries too quickly)

--Estee Lauder double wear (almost as great but not enough coverage as MUFE)

--Clinique (shades were hard to match me, not as great on coverage, can fade off)

--Mary Kay cream to powder (comes off easily, limited shades but does have great coverage and is matte to where u can get away without having to use a powder)

--Finally Makeup For Ever is light, has GREAT coverage, stays on well till i cleanse off, doesn't break me out, looks great!)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I went for this when i felt that bare minerals wasn't covering up enough for me. I always thought i had oily skin, but when i had this put on me in Sephora, i was told i had surface dryness. I tried fixing it, and some days it looks alright on me...then i'm not sure, but i think this might be making me break out...

On the good side- It lasts a long time such as a 12 hour day, goes on easy with fingers sponge or brush, and makes a flawless face. No one with dry skin should reach for this.

on 7/11/2007 4:42:00 PM

The color selection are not that great. I have a very olive skin color. Also the foundation is way to heavy in my face.. The color looked fine when i was inside butthe moment i went out in the sun i could tell that i was wearing a very thick foundation.. It gave me a cakey look...

on 7/11/2007 12:04:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

After using Estee lauder double wear, I tried out Mat Velvet + and have to say that I am pretty happy with it. I, personally, think that the estee lauder gave me better coverage since I always use medium/full coverage, and although Mat Velvet + is supposed to be medium/full, I think it is light-medium/medium. However, it does cover nicely and smoothly, and I think it is very light when it comes to wear as compared to other foundations. The only thing about it that I hate is that by the end of the day, it seems to wear off a bit for me or after exercizing, so that is a bit disappointing. And...its really expensive! But, overall, I am happy with it and would recommend it. I am not too sure if I am going to buy it next time, but I most likely will buy it again in the future!

on 7/5/2007 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I recently got a sample of this and have been using it for over a week. So far so good but not the best. The coverage is medium and i love the way it looks after i have applied it but it didn't control my oil well. My face was shiny within an hour. I am a NC25-30 and #40 was a perfect match for me. Maybe i'll try it again when the weather is cooler and see how it works but until then, i will just stick to MMU for the summer.

Pros: Good coverage, Great color match and did not cause my sensitive skin to break out

Cons: Might be a bit too heavy for summertime use, didn't control my oil and expensive ($34)