Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

This was okay for me. Im already done with one, and was starting on my second until for some reason I couldnt find it.

The first one that I used was with the scapula, which I thought was okay, but after using it for weeks/months..the bottle starting looking nasty. The second one that I had was in a bottle where you squeezed out the foundation, which is way better than using the scapula.

Anyhow, I went to Sephora to repurchase, and I asked the SA "is MUFE a good product for oily skin?" she says "hold on..im not sure, let me ask" she comes back and says "no, this is heavy." I thought MUFE was for oily skin. Anyways, she suggested Laura Mercier. Compare to Laura Mercier with MUFE, I prefer Laura Mercier, it actually provides more coverage. Also, with MUFE i noticed it does not give me the coverage I need, plus later on the day with MUFE, I still look oily/shiny.

I've used this foundation on and off for about four or five months. (Why on and off? Because I'd get samples occasionally, until I bought a full bottle) I have combination, acne prone skin, and this foundation has not broken me out. But if you know of specific ingredients that do irritate you, take a look at the list of ingredients at the bottom of this review.

What it promises to do (taken from the Sephora website):

"What it is:
A shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation."

Is it shine controlling?

It is, but only so much, which is the let down of this product and the reason why I docked a point. To solve this problem, I apply Fyrinnae Rice Powder primer, which helps absorb the majority of oil and assists Mat Velvet in doing the same, so that I stay matte all day long. I will typically only have to blot once a day, and my t-zone is quite oily. Without the rice powder, I need to blot about three or four times a day, although it's not as bad as without foundation at all.

Is it oil free? Yes. Look at the ingredient list at the bottom of the review.

Is it water-resistant?

This foundation has managed to shock me on a number of occasions, once a few months ago and the second time only about a half hour ago. The first time, I had been running and was sweating profusely. (I think I had been running about a mile or so) and I was wearing this foundation. I fully expected to wipe my face with a towel, and, whatever was left of the foundation would be smeared across the white cloth. Boy, was I wrong! Nothing came off. So I figured I had sweat it all off. I checked in a mirror... and to my astonishment, my skin was perfectly even! (granted it was shiny from sweat) In all honesty, I don't recommend doing this, since I think it's important to let your skin breath while you're working out and sweating like that. But even so, it was amazing. And then tonight, while washing it off (I'd apparently forgot my amazement of a few months ago) I was rubbing my face with just water.. and, as you can guess, nothing came off. And in case you're wondering, "How could I possibly remove something like this??" don't worry! It comes right off with my Shiseido foaming cleanser (or whatever deep foaming or oil based cleanser that you may have).

Is it full coverage? Yes, and what I love is that you can get it to be full coverage very quickly, in that a little truly goes a long way. You can also thin out the coverage by applying less, however.

Some other notes I'd like to include:

This makes for a good under eye concealer. Although, there's nothing brightening about the foundation, so if that's important to you, this benefit may not apply. (But try it out anyway)

Unless you've got some massive, lumpy zit or something to conceal, you should find that when using this foundation, spot concealer for redness, blemishes, broken capillaries, etc will not be necessary.

If you have oily lids and have a difficult time getting your eyeshadow to stay, try applying this to your lids (it really helps with any unevenness on your lids, too; very flawless look) with a dusting of translucent powder over. (I like to use some kind of oil absorbing powder like Fyrinnae Oil blot powder or MUFE Matte powder) This should help your eyeshadow last through the day.

I wear #35. I have a warm light-medium complexion with beige, yellow and slight peach tones. This foundation is a great color match for me. You should be able to find a shade close to you, as there's a good variety available. Go to your local Sephora store or freestanding Make Up For Ever store to get color matched. For reference, I wear O40 in Shiseido foundation, #203 in MUFE Duo Mat foundation, NC35 in Mac foundation (some but not all), Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation in Beige Ivory, Stila Oil Free in shade D, Supernatural in Urban Decay Surreal skin mineral makeup, Ametrine in Fyrinnae super power mineral makeup and light 4-nude in Maybelline Pure foundation.

Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides). continued >>

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Love, love, love this product. I am a PPP with very oily skin, and I decided to try this foundation based on other MUA-ers recs. I am pretty pale, and after trying the two lightest shades I decided to buy 20-perfect shade. The application is very easy. No foundation is going to keep me oil-free all day, but this is the closest I've ever found. It has great coverage without being too mattifying. It is also water resistant-very long lasting. It made my skin look very smooth and pretty. It was a bit pricey for me at $34, but a little goes a long way and I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I never thought I would like liquid makeup but wow this stuff is amazing! Perfect color match, long lasting (i'm very oily), and it doesn't oxidize! Best foundation i've tried to date!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have combination skin. Mostly oily but occasionally dry around the mouth and cheek areas. I wanted something to keep my oilies matte but I have to say my search for HG foundation didn't stop here. This foundation actually has beautiful medium coverage. Under a primer, it appears very even and natural. When finished with powder, my skin looked very airbrush. I wouldn't recommend this foundation for those who have very oily skin like myself. Eventually, the airbrushed look faded away as the powder settled in. I have to add that while my face felt smooth, it looked masked like. I returned this foundation after a few days. Very dissapointing.

This is by far the best foundation that I have tried. First off I will say that I am not generally a daily foundation wearer..I'm more of a tinted moisturizer person. I was looking for something that would give medium coverage and not look like a mask on me outdoors ( I was having an outside wedding). This absolutely did the job, and lasted the entire day! I have combination skin and I tend to get shiny by the end of the night with most foundations...not so with this. My one teeny-tiny complaint is that the product doesn't seem to want to stop coming out once I squeeze it. Not a big deal, and I am happy to deal with the to reap the benefits of this foundation! I will definitely repurchase.

I have tried several foundations and so far, this is one of the best. I have been using it for about a month or so. It lasted in the Vegas heat recently and stays on throughout a long 14 hour work day!! I love that it gives great coverage. I have oily skin so by the middle of the day, my natural oiliness comes through. I don't think it's too bad and some oil is just natural. I think it's pretty easy to apply although I do agree that it dries quickly. I haven't had any problems with blending it though. I think for the price, the bottle could be a little bigger but overall it's a great foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I just bought this purely off of clicking around on the Sephora site and being ridiculously tired of the powdery, glittery, faint coverage that I've been getting with B.E. for about a year. I got it to help with my sensitive, acne active skin and it makes me look pale and chalky and certainly doesn't last as well as smears. I absolutely LOVE M.U.F.E. Mat Velvet+. It doesn't leave any lines or draw attention to any of the many random issues I have with flakiness or acne spots. It lasts for hours as well. The coverage is great, and I need very little concealer for post-acne hyperpigmentation and it looks gorgeous. I won't complain about the cost as I will pay anything that will make me look better and feel better about my skin. I'd rather pay $34 for it than $28 for B.E. I bought #70 as I think #65 is fairly too yellowy but in the future I may get it and blend the two.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Sorry this is so long, but this product has made a difference in my life, and I wanted to get the info out there. I bought the Mat Velvet Plus about two weeks ago after experimenting with it out of a sample container from Sephora for over a week. (I'm a terribly picky consumer, but I'm also tired of returning stuff, so I wanted to be sure!)

I have major skin problems and never had much luck with foundations. I'm combination (sometimes horribly oily, and other times horribly dry), blotchy, acne-covered (not just acne-"prone"; I almost constantly have pimples!), with severe red scarring on the chin and around the mouth from years of pimples. The natural color of my skin is extremely fair (I'd say "neutral," with slight yellow undertones), so each time I get a new zit, it scars. And I should emphasize just how fair I am (slightly lighter than MAC's NC15). Because of the deep redness in certain areas, I need quite a lot of coverage. But because of the oiliness (and sometimes simultaneous flaking!) extra coverage means cakiness. And above all, I loathe the look of wearing "fake skin" on my face. I mean, if it were up to me, I'd go bare, with *no* base at all! Anyway, pretty much every time I try a new foundation, I have to deal with at least one of the following:
too sheer; too cakey; too pink; too dark (this last one is a biggie!).

So, foundation has always been a problem for me. I've found maybe 1 *concealer* over the years that did the job, but you can't wear a thick concealer over a large section of your face. It simply cakes up and looks unnatural.

Almost immediately, I realized this is some of the best foundation -- I think, *the* best foundation I've ever tried. I'm going to sum it up as quickly & efficiently as possible:

~# 15 is actually light enough for my skin, *and* not ridiculously pink!!!!
~There is enough coverage to make me feel like I don't necessarily *need* concealer on top of the stuff (in fact, I usually don't bother, which is unheard of for me on makeup days); if I'm going for some perfect porcelain look, I can add it.
~It really lasts on your face. And keep in mind that I've been wearing this stuff on 95+ degree days in California, during a heat wave. Now on days this bad, *no* makeup is going to look as perfectly seamlessly fresh as the second you put it on in the morning, but this comes pretty damned close. Often I'll just do a quick mirror check, briefly blend in areas that have mixed a little with the sweat on my face (sorry - gross, I know, but it's really that hot these days! :p), and it's presentable again. I haven't had that experience with other foundations. (Incidentally, on, the non-horribly-hot days, this stuff has lasted hours and hours in GREAT shape, really surprising me.)
~Despite the amazing level of coverage, the formula looks incredibly natural and NOT fake/cakey (though you MUST exfoliate/moisturize with this stuff!!). Again, I'm a picky consumer and I hate the made up look.
~Last, but absolutely not least, I DON'T THINK IT'S CAUSING ANY NEW ZITS! For me, this is really a huge feat. In fact, what with my current skin regimen (I'm using Clinique's Take the Day off Balm to remove), my skin's actually been doing shockingly well in the summer heat.

I've tried a few methods to keep it looking natural: wet sponge, dry sponge, fingers, brush. I still haven't had that much time to experiment, since I don't wear makeup every single day, but what I'm liking lately is a foundation brush with the tip slightly wet, and then dipped into the foundation (which I've dispensed onto the back of my hand), to be applied & blended to the face. DEFINITELY only do one area of the face at a time, as this stuff dries/sets quickly.

Really briefly in response to the review before mine:

1) I'm actually quite surprised what she wrote about the insufficient coverage. I always use very little (I'm this way with hair products, skincare products, etc.), and I hate having gobs of stuff on my face -- and I was shocked at the amount of pigment and its ability to *tone down* my extreme redness. Without concealer on top, it's definitely not opaque *perfection* (if it were, it'd look fake!). But it blows most foundations out of the water. And keep in mind that I'm using their very lightest shade, so that's a big deal. In other words: it does what a foundation (not concealer) is supposed to do.

2) I, too, had the problem with the stuff oozing out the top -- but it only happened the first (and maybe the second?) time I used it. After that, it's been perfect. For first-time users, after shaking the bottle (which everyone should do with every use) I suggest giving it a good couple of thuds on the counter to settle the makeup. In fact, do this just before you apply your moisturizer or primer, and by the time you get to your makeup, it's settled. :)

3) Finally, I agree about the color selection; more shades would be nice. I just happened to get lucky with mine (after being terribly unlucky with almost all other high end, and especially drugstore brands). If you can find one that almost works for you, I say go for it, cuz this stuff is worth it. For those of you who can't find decent colors, write/call/complain! It's all about consumer demand - we're the ones buying the stuff, and if you make your voice heard, you CAN make a difference in what the company dishes out.

BOTTOM LINE: I'm an extremely picky customer with extreme skin issues, and I love the stuff. Make sure you exfoliate & moisturize, and do one area at a time. Experiment to find your best application method. If you do all that and can find a good color match, I think this stuff has the potential to make you feel beautiful. Honestly, it's given me confidence back.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was really excited to go out and try this foundation after reading all the positive reviews here but unfortunately I was pretty disappointed. I had to exchange this product for a different shade before even trying it on my face because the one the SA picked out was too dark (#30) for my NC20-25 skin. So, I decided to go for the #20 because after playing around with a few of their shades, noticed how the #25 was more pinky than neutral when dried. It turns out the #20 is too light for me and I did detect a hint of pink when I put it on my face. There's just not enough shades in their line. Almost all their shades have somewhat pink tone to them no matter how neutral they may seem. I usually wear a neutral shade with a hint of yellow so I know I'm not asking for much. I also noticed that that coverage wasn't enough for me. It could've been the fact that the color was too light but I literally had to apply a thin coat of my other foundation on top to even look lightly acceptable for going out in public. I didn't care for their packaging either; every time I would open the bottle, foundation would just come oozing out of the the tube and I would have to wipe it off with a tissue. Such a waste. Just a big disappointment and have returned it.