November 27, 2014 | 926 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 1/1/2007 8:48:00 AM More reviews by sharpeijowls

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is I don't like about this foundation. Well, that little spatula thing is horrible, so that I can be specific about. What is the deal with that little spatula? I use my fingers to apply my liquid foundation and I like to tip the bottle to get just a little foundation on my finger and work from there. Impossible with this setup. The spatula is just in the way, and what the hell do I do with it after I open the bottle. I just want to tip my little foundation bottle on my finger like I always do, but no, I've got this awkward dripping spatula to deal with. The foundation itself I'm more vague about. I don't exactly hate it, but I don't like it either. It dries very quickly and is not easy to blend because of that. Also, it just does not make my skin look better, which is what I kind of want my foundation to do when I drop $37 on it. It looks almost chalky, and I have combo skin, so dry folks need not apply. Plus the color seems to go muddy after a while. I don't know - all I can tell you is this is just not a flattering foundation for me. I'm taking it back. Update: Okay, I gave it another try. It's official. I hate it! Just makes my skin look like this awful dingy mud-colored mess. Definitely going back.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2006 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Libertyne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i love this foundation. MUFE has best foundations (next to Armani) and this is my absolute favorite matte foundation. i actually have dry skin and normally matte foundations accentuates it but not this one. normally i stay away from matte foundations but seeing as its the "in thing" right now i definitely wanted to find one that would work for my skin. i have seriously searched high and low and i find that this one is the most natural looking and long lasting of them all. it comes in a jar and has a spoon-like thing attached to the lid that you can use to take out the amount of product needed. although i found the packaging to be annoying at first, i have gotten use to it and find it much more handier than having to pour out the product (which is what i have to do with their face & body foundation).i feel i should warn you, this foundation is fairly thick, cream consistency, and a little goes a long way. i really don't need concealor with this one, seeing as the coverage is about medium-full coverage. but in the case that you would need to use concealor, i feel that this works extremely well MUFE's Full Cover concealor.
this foundation is everything i wished MAC studio fix fluid would be.
for reference i am a MAC nc40-42 and i wear #10 in this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2006 5:39:00 AM More reviews by sophienguyen7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have combination skin. Mostly oily but occasionally dry around the mouth and cheek areas. I wanted something to keep my oilies matte but I have to say my search for HG foundation didn't stop here. This foundation actually has beautiful medium coverage. Under a primer, it appears very even and natural. When finished with powder, my skin looked very airbrush. I wouldn't recommend this foundation for those who have very oily skin like myself. Eventually, the airbrushed look faded away as the powder settled in. I have to add that my face felt very smooth but it didn't feel like my skin. Compared to Yves Saint Laurent's, this foundation could be considered heavy. I just purchased some YSL's Teinte Compact Matite today which is a cream foundation that dries to a matte finish. I wear this under their Complexion Enhancer in Apricot and it does wonders for my pores and uneven (sometimes flaky) skin. I highly recommend it. As for MUFE Matte Velvet, I'm thinking about returning this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2006 7:07:00 PM More reviews by LizAsh84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great foundation. I use shade 8 and it isn't orange or too dark on my VERY pale skin. It feels soft on my skin and doesn't irritate it or make me break out. It does dry quickly so I have to work fast with this that's really the only problem besides the high price (but I think it's worth it if it works!) I also really like the little spatula thing that's attached to the cap. I use it to scoop out a litte foundation onto my sponge.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2006 6:49:00 PM More reviews by girlingoldboots

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I usually love Make Up For Ever products, but they really made a bomb out of this foundation. The makeup is very heavy, cakey, and when you use concealer and then powder to set it, you get dark blotches on your face! It wasn't even that matte, I think the satin finish foundation has a better matte property than this one. Maybe I got a bad batch, but who knows. Their face and body liquid makeup has a perfect texture and staying power without making it too obvious, so I'm going back to that.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2006 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Sunshyne382

I wanted this to work so badly but we don't always get what we want. First off, the color was horrible. I let the girl in Sephora convince me that it wasn't too dark...it was. I looked even worse when I got out in the sun. I looked overly tanned and on an African-American woman, that is not a good look. The next shade was too light, I looked sickly. They need a much better color selection. The SA had the nerve to suggest I purchase both shades and combine them. I don't think so. It's also another foundation that doesn't live up to it's promises. It rubs off on everything. This is a huge problem for me as a Muslim woman because it gets all over my head scarves and often doesn't come out. It doesn't stay matte or velvety for long at all, two or three hours tops. It also doesn't last very long. The packaging is awful. There is a funny little dipping stick that makes a huge mess. Foundation gets trapped in the lid and around the mouth of the bottle, which is glass. The only plus is that it goes on smoothly and dries to a velvet finish. For that, I could purchase a drugstore foundation and save myself some money.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2006 7:21:00 AM More reviews by knitchick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great moderate-full coverage foundation. I've just replaced my first bottle, which lasted me about 3.5 months. It provides excellent coverage without feeling heavy and looks great even after a full day of wear. I have acne-prone skin and it has not caused any breakouts. The only problem is that it can be hard to find. I've only found it at one other place beside Sephora, which makes it difficult if your color is out of stock.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2006 6:53:00 PM More reviews by Xxkonixx

I've brought this product because it claims to matify your skin all the day long with a comfortable feeling......and i thought that's exactly what i needed...i have combinations skin that tends to get oily over the t-zone area after several hours so i was hoping that this will solve my problems for me......however, after i tried it for two days......i know i can't use it anymore........it does covers well.....but I feel like i have tons of stuffs on my face and it even makes me skin got oilier than my older foundation........and worst of all....i started to BREAK OUT...........after i switch back to what i was using before...my skin is getting back to how it use to..........i wanted to refund this...but they say their company doesn't take returns.........I think da's rediculas because i only bought it for a week and i really did have a bad reaction to it......

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2006 7:18:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

This product can be wonderful, but in moderation! This is very thick, a rival to Revlon's original Colorstay formula. Dry skinned girls need not apply - this is definitely one for the oily skinned, and the oily skinned only. It seriously mattifies, but just a tad too much and the face can look severe. I find dotting this and then quickly sheering it out works best for me, and I set it with a fine, talc-free powder (although it isn't a necessary step, because it sets matte all on its own.) My only gripe with this is that no matter how little I use, my face feels heavy with makeup even before the end of the day, although I must say it looks as flawless at 8 pm as it does at 8 am. This photographs incredibly well, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2006 4:18:00 PM More reviews by blackangel

skintone: MAC NC45/Px Antelope/Bobbi Brown Golden/Makeup Forever Face and Body #12

shade: #12

This is a creamy, extremely opague foundation that comes in a glass jar and lid with a strange looking dropper. I dont know how to use the dropper but the product is most excellent. It provides complete coverage and spreads very easily.
That being said, it needs to be set with powder or it might rub off on things. In evening lighting my skin looks flawless. I would definately repurchase again.