December 20, 2014 | 1815 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2007 7:56:00 PM More reviews by HRenfrewgrl

WOW! This is now my new HG! I was using Body&Soul foundation because it was the only foundation the matched my yellow skintone. Although it matched my skin the 2n1 powder broke my out but foundation stick did not and also it did not do anything for the oil on my face. BUT this DOES! This stuff is awesome! It matches my skin and controls the oil and does not break me out! Here is the list of foundations that I've bought and did not work out for me because of either color, it irritated my skin, or clogged my pores(eww zits/bumps): Chanel Double Perfection Compact, Chanel Double Perfection Liquid, Laura Mercier Compact Foundation, Shiseido Hydro Liquid Compact, NARS Powder Foundation Revlon Colorstay, Revlon SkinLights Diffusing Tint Foundation, Max Factor Compact, MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation, Prescriptives Powderful, Prescriptives Exact Match foundation, Cargo Oil Free Foundation, L'Oreal Feel Perfect Compact, Biotherm Sense Matte Foundation, IMAN Second to None Powder Foundation, Maybelline Pure Makeup, Maybelline True Illusion (compact and liquid), and Maybelline Wonder Finish

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2007 4:04:00 PM More reviews by grlsmith

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

While I chose the wrong color, this is still a good product and I can imagine that it would be GREAT if I had the right color. For now I'll just stick with the Face and Body.

As for the spatula, I figured its purpose was to allow the product to drip in a controlled manner onto the fingers, sponge, etc, without contaminating the rest of the bottle with bacteria. I actually liked the spatula.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2007 11:29:00 AM More reviews by sweetcaroline

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this once I saw it in Sephora's newest catalog. I'm always looking for a perfect mattifying foundation with a good yellow undertone for my Asian skin. (My sister thinks I'm obsessive!) Lasting power is also important to me, since I've been using Revlon's Colorstay with Softflex. I like the squeeze bottle and the mattifying formula. Luckily it doesn't make my skin look dry. I have an oily T-Zone and yesterday I wore this to work (6am-5pm) it looked great, didn't even powder once. I use primer underneath, which helps give it slip, otherwise, it may not blend very well on unmoisturized skin. Love the staying power, goes well with the Full Coverage concealor. Too bad they don't have SPF anymore. Claims to be water resistant so I tested it by working out at home with the makeup on. When I dabbed my skin with a towel, there was almost no transfer and no sliding goo on my face anywhere.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/26/2007 6:31:00 AM More reviews by ruthiepa

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH Sharpeijowls, what is that spatula thing for ? Uhhh, maybe so you can waste some of this and have to buy more sooner ? Anyhow... I like a full coverage foundation. I was told this was the best and found a perfect color match for my olive skin. ( #2 ) I was very surprised that this stuff has NO staying power ! I have normal skin with maybe a tiny bit of dryness when the weather here in PA is cold. This feels like having a light coating of grease on my face ??? It wore off quickly and did not have a good coverage at all. I tried it over primer, under primer, without primer, with concealer, without... blah blah blah.. It is just bad stuff. Even with my normal poweder over it, it just has a greasy feel on and I do not have oily skin. I would never buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/1/2007 8:48:00 AM More reviews by sharpeijowls

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is I don't like about this foundation. Well, that little spatula thing is horrible, so that I can be specific about. What is the deal with that little spatula? I use my fingers to apply my liquid foundation and I like to tip the bottle to get just a little foundation on my finger and work from there. Impossible with this setup. The spatula is just in the way, and what the hell do I do with it after I open the bottle. I just want to tip my little foundation bottle on my finger like I always do, but no, I've got this awkward dripping spatula to deal with. The foundation itself I'm more vague about. I don't exactly hate it, but I don't like it either. It dries very quickly and is not easy to blend because of that. Also, it just does not make my skin look better, which is what I kind of want my foundation to do when I drop $37 on it. It looks almost chalky, and I have combo skin, so dry folks need not apply. Plus the color seems to go muddy after a while. I don't know - all I can tell you is this is just not a flattering foundation for me. I'm taking it back. Update: Okay, I gave it another try. It's official. I hate it! Just makes my skin look like this awful dingy mud-colored mess. Definitely going back.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2006 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Libertyne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i love this foundation. MUFE has best foundations (next to Armani) and this is my absolute favorite matte foundation. i actually have dry skin and normally matte foundations accentuates it but not this one. normally i stay away from matte foundations but seeing as its the "in thing" right now i definitely wanted to find one that would work for my skin. i have seriously searched high and low and i find that this one is the most natural looking and long lasting of them all. it comes in a jar and has a spoon-like thing attached to the lid that you can use to take out the amount of product needed. although i found the packaging to be annoying at first, i have gotten use to it and find it much more handier than having to pour out the product (which is what i have to do with their face & body foundation).i feel i should warn you, this foundation is fairly thick, cream consistency, and a little goes a long way. i really don't need concealor with this one, seeing as the coverage is about medium-full coverage. but in the case that you would need to use concealor, i feel that this works extremely well MUFE's Full Cover concealor.
this foundation is everything i wished MAC studio fix fluid would be.
for reference i am a MAC nc40-42 and i wear #10 in this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2006 5:39:00 AM More reviews by sophienguyen7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have combination skin. Mostly oily but occasionally dry around the mouth and cheek areas. I wanted something to keep my oilies matte but I have to say my search for HG foundation didn't stop here. This foundation actually has beautiful medium coverage. Under a primer, it appears very even and natural. When finished with powder, my skin looked very airbrush. I wouldn't recommend this foundation for those who have very oily skin like myself. Eventually, the airbrushed look faded away as the powder settled in. I have to add that my face felt very smooth but it didn't feel like my skin. Compared to Yves Saint Laurent's, this foundation could be considered heavy. I just purchased some YSL's Teinte Compact Matite today which is a cream foundation that dries to a matte finish. I wear this under their Complexion Enhancer in Apricot and it does wonders for my pores and uneven (sometimes flaky) skin. I highly recommend it. As for MUFE Matte Velvet, I'm thinking about returning this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2006 7:07:00 PM More reviews by LizAsh84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great foundation. I use shade 8 and it isn't orange or too dark on my VERY pale skin. It feels soft on my skin and doesn't irritate it or make me break out. It does dry quickly so I have to work fast with this that's really the only problem besides the high price (but I think it's worth it if it works!) I also really like the little spatula thing that's attached to the cap. I use it to scoop out a litte foundation onto my sponge.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2006 6:49:00 PM More reviews by girlingoldboots

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I usually love Make Up For Ever products, but they really made a bomb out of this foundation. The makeup is very heavy, cakey, and when you use concealer and then powder to set it, you get dark blotches on your face! It wasn't even that matte, I think the satin finish foundation has a better matte property than this one. Maybe I got a bad batch, but who knows. Their face and body liquid makeup has a perfect texture and staying power without making it too obvious, so I'm going back to that.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2006 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Sunshyne382

I wanted this to work so badly but we don't always get what we want. First off, the color was horrible. I let the girl in Sephora convince me that it wasn't too dark...it was. I looked even worse when I got out in the sun. I looked overly tanned and on an African-American woman, that is not a good look. The next shade was too light, I looked sickly. They need a much better color selection. The SA had the nerve to suggest I purchase both shades and combine them. I don't think so. It's also another foundation that doesn't live up to it's promises. It rubs off on everything. This is a huge problem for me as a Muslim woman because it gets all over my head scarves and often doesn't come out. It doesn't stay matte or velvety for long at all, two or three hours tops. It also doesn't last very long. The packaging is awful. There is a funny little dipping stick that makes a huge mess. Foundation gets trapped in the lid and around the mouth of the bottle, which is glass. The only plus is that it goes on smoothly and dries to a velvet finish. For that, I could purchase a drugstore foundation and save myself some money.