NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 11/15/2010 4:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

i really liked this foundation while i was still using it but i wouldn't repurchase. first off, there's no pump so I KNOW i wasted a lot of product every time i went to grab for it. second, it claims it's for dry skins to achieve that "glow" well i feel like my moisturizer (cetaphil at the time) did 95% of the work because when i didn't use that this foundation was just dry and flakey. price wise, i don't think it's worth the $42. I've tried tinted moisturizers better then this.. and i had really wanted to love this foundation =( It doesn't cover shit & horrible in photographs. nars you disappointed me..

on 11/13/2010 4:38:00 PM

I loved this foundation at first, it glides on beautifully and made my skin look glowy and flawless. However, it melted off my t-zone in about 4 hours and settled into fine lines. It also accentuates any dry skin you may have on your face. I have normal to combo skin and this made my skin look super oily by the end of the day. I also never break out from powders or foundations and this caused me to break out so bad around my mouth, chin & nose. I am sorely disappointed because it seemed so promising at first.

For reference I wore Deauville and I am NC20 in MAC.

on 11/13/2010 2:25:00 PM

I must say, currently I am loving NARS Sheer Glow. Since everyone was raving about how amazing this foundation is I decided to hop on the bandwagon and see what all the hype was about and I am SO glad that I did. Although I was very skeptical at first because someone with oily skin like myself does NOT typicaly want to buy any foundation with "glow" in the title.

First off I want to say that this foundation does not make my skin look oily. My skin type is oily/combination. I get very oily during the day but I also have some dry spots on my skin. Comparing this to all of the other foundations I've tried my skin looks the least oily by middle-end of day when I wear this one. Don't get me wrong this is not a miracle for oily skin - my skin still gets oily but it gets oily much later in the day.

I would say the coverage of this foundation is medium but buildable. I'm looking to cover some redness and imperfections. This foundation does a good job at covering some of these imperfections but I find I still need to use a concealer on top of problem areas (I don't mind). I find this gives much better coverage compared to NARS Sheer Matte. Sheer Glow also gives a very natural finish, but keep in mind if you keep adding thick layers, the finish will not look as natural. The foundation also does not seem to emphasize any flakes on my skin (and I have tested this foundation in winter-summer). My skin is not the greatest and a coworker had recently complemented me on how great my skin looked (which NEVER happens) but I was wearing this foundation with Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage lightly over any area that the foundation didn't cover.

I apply this foundation with my fingers and it sinks right into my skin. I perfer using my fingers to using a brush with this particular formula. The best thing to do is the start light and work your way up to more coverage. If you build up little by little the effect is a much more natural finish! I like to set this foundation with a powder, and for my skin type this a must. Even with powder, I find the foundation still gives a little "glow" (but not an oily glow).

Staying power is good but not great. As it gets later in the day if I touch my face at all the foundation will slide right off. In my experience it has been difficult to find a foundation that is long lasting but also very natural.

Packaging is not great - there is no pump which isn't a huge deal to me but it would be nice if it had one. The cap gets quite dirty after time but the bottle looks very classy.

I love the colour range that NARS has. I have very pale skin and it's normally very difficult to find a good match - even the lightest shade in some lines is too dark for me. At Sephora I was colour matched with "Gobi".

This foundation also did NOT break out my sensitive skin.

I purchased the Sheer Matte foundation after purchasing this one thinking it would be just as good if not better than this. However I much prefer Sheer Glow, even with my oily skin (which shocks me, actually). Because the price is so expensive, I suggest perhaps trying a sample first.

Currently I am still loving this foundation, and I've been using and "testing" it out for several months now. I am still on the hunt for my true "Holy Grail" foundation, but for now this one is my favourite and I will most likely repurchase it.

on 11/8/2010 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation is my go-to for a photo ready finish! The foundation gives great coverage, but feels light on the skin--you won't have that awful cakey feeling.

The foundation photographs incredibly. I highly recommend it for photo shoots or big nights out on the town. You'll see a big difference!

on 11/8/2010 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Absolute LOVE.

Nars Sheer glow is my first foundation that I actually love. My very first foundation was MAC's Satinfinish which I initially loved (hence my positive review) but started hating later so I should really get around to changing that.

Anyway I basically read reviews for Sheer Glow for MONTHS before finally caving in. The biggest downfall of this product will have to be the price. I paid HK$400 for this (US$50) and it comes WITHOUT a pump so I had to go buy one which cost me another HK$50 (US$6.5). It actually worked out to be quite expensive compared to other brands but I definitely think it is worth it. So in terms of packaging - mediocre.

I'm around an NC40 and Barcelona is a good match for me. You have to make sure NC40 matches you perfectly though because if it's a bit too light then Barcelona might not work for you.

The texture of this foundation is amazing. It blends like a dream and tbh the name is kind of misleading because it is not really that sheer and not obviously glowy if you just test it on your hand or something. But the best thing abotu this foundation is the way it blends into your skin - giving you an AMAZING natural look but you still look flawless. Everytime I wear this, people comment on how smooth my skin looks. I have combination skin (oily t-zone) but this actually works pretty well for me. I don't even need to use a blot powder.

I personally don't need much coverage so my favourite way to apply this is to use a damp sponge. I take a wedge and spritz it with Fix+ a few times and use half/one pump for my face and neck. It gives an amazing sheer finish but still covers my imperfections. I've tried using a duo fiber brush and my fingers but this is my fav way. Stippling didn't really work at all so if you don't have a brush then go for your fingers :)

The key to using this foundation is to USE A SMALL AMOUNT FIRST and then blend it out. Trust me a little goes a LONG way. You can always build it up if you need to. The first time I used way too much and took a tester shot and looked hideously white. I had to learn the hard way lol but definitely use a small amount first. :) Also, give it around 20 mins or so to settle in and you will LOVE the results after :)

P.S. I uploaded a photo of myself (the side portrait lol)... it might help. I have lots of imperfections and acne scars and from the photo you may be able to tell that this foundation covered it all up nicely :) I am using only the foundation and Darkly my Dear blush by MAC in that photo. If you have combo/oily skin, I don't think you need a highlighter with this foundation because it naturally gives your skin a glow as it settles in.

on 11/6/2010 3:04:00 PM

This was the first foundation that completely matched my skin (I bought the color Ceylan). I was totally amazed at how it totally disappeared into my skin and made my skin look healthy and even-toned. However, after wearing it for a full day, it made my skin break out HORRIBLY! I had large, deep pimples all over my face. Needless to say, I returned it the next day.

on 11/5/2010 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

The shades are perfect for yellow skin tones. A big bonus for me! I really like this foundation, I'm just too oily for it. I find myself blotting like crazy.

on 11/3/2010 5:02:00 PM

At first when I bought this, I thought to myself "I did not just spend 40 dollars on foundation..." debating on whether or not I'd return it, when it arrived, I awaited anxiously. Finally when it arrived, I un boxed it and put it to use. DISAPPOINTMENT immediately jumped into my head. It was cakey, and seemed too yellow, almost unblendable. But I wasn't going to give up, the next day I skipped the fingers and the amount I used the night before. I used my foundation brush, with very little product. The yellow tint, then masked my red tones. And when I say little, I used little. But somehow, got great coverage. This foundation isn't forgiving with dry skin, so exfoliation is important. Along with moisturized skin, I tend to have to double up to make the foundation work. (clinique gel) with (beauty fluid). I can't skip primer with this either.

Overall, I've grown to love it. It lasts, it covers, and you don't need much. I think next time, I might just get another shade. My only complaint is the packaging, the lid is kind of screwy. The rubber square top, unscrews to reveal a basic round lid. And well, it can be hard to get out, without getting a ton. (which is why my first try sucked BTW)

on 10/28/2010 5:34:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

04/08/2011: ETA - I hate this foundation. It breaks apart by the end of the day, and looks cakey. I've tried it with different primers, sunscreens, moisturizer, etc., and it ALWAYS breaks apart by the end of the day. Too bad because I wanted to love this because it feels super light going on and I found a great natural-looking color match. Initially it looks great, but within a few hours it breaks apart and gets greasy/oily looking on my combo skin. I think this would work best for those with dry skin.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: This is probably my HG foundation right now. My favorite foundation used to be NARS Oil-Free in Budapest, but both the formula and shade were discontinued. Sheer Glow has a dewier finish than the Oil-Free, which had kaolin clay in it for oil control. Sometimes I need to blot later in the day which is fine for Fall/Winter, but I will probably need something in a matte formula for the summertime.

At first I didn't like this foundation but it was because I had the wrong shade. A NARS SA matched me with Ceylan, but it turned out to be much too light for me. I tried again and while Fiji is close, Punjab is pretty much spot on for me. I'm currently using a sample but will get the full size soon.

For reference, I wear MAC NC30, BE 1.2/2.0 light, Shiseido O20, and NARS Budapest in the Oil-Free formula.

on 10/27/2010 4:10:00 PM

I heard about NARS Sheer Glow for over a year and never thought twice about it because I rarely use liquid foundation and try to stick with natural brands for skin and foundation products. I tried Tarte, Korres, 100% pure and a few others for liquid foundation and was always intitally amazed and then disasatisfied. I can say that the same goes for this one. I loved it at first...it went on so smoothly and covered so well, like creamy porcelain. Later, however, like many reviews have stated, it fades and kind of sits on the skin which is not good for my dry cheeks/under my eyes. Why do I give it a 4 then, because I like how it makes my skin feel, I like that it feels lightweight, does not make me break out, is free from a lot of terrible ingredients surprisingly, FIJI tones down the red in my skin (NC 20 but I have rosy cheeks), and overall does a pretty good job of being a foundation. Not perfect, but really good to me and it is a keeper. I think it really depends on your skin how well this will work for you. I recommend exfoliating, using a good moisturizer and maybe a primer, if you have dry skin or areas like me.

Video Reviews & Tutorials