September 24, 2014 | 1543 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2008 2:43:00 PM More reviews by mizz_soaps

I heard so much about this product, I eventually had to try it myself. I was lucky I got it as a gift and was excited to try it. Big mistake. It clogged my pores. Makes my eyes water. And I hate the smell. I thought at first it that it had to grow on me - it didn't. I gave it 3 weeks to grow on me, which turned my skin into a horrible wreck. I will never buy this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/11/2008 12:09:00 PM More reviews by wildberriez4eva

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this reeked. it left a weird film on my skin. it smelled horrible. i would not recommend this product to anyone unless that person had a crappy olfactory sense.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2008 4:10:00 PM More reviews by jkoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The message on the bottle convinces you to buy this, but if you don't have dry skin then it'll make you break out or increase your oiliness. It worked pretty well for the first two weeks, but after that my face was a mess. It's too heavy of a cream and i found it clogged my pores up so I'd get the medium sized red pimples in the areas between my eyes and nose, closer to the bridge. it also smells a bit like medicine. Worst of all, if you have sensitive skin like i do, it actually burned sometimes when i put it on my face, my eyes would tear up and it did not feel or look good at all.

If you have dry skin, go ahead. if you're oily or sensitve, skip this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2008 5:47:00 PM More reviews by spongepocket

It's the second time I purchase this product and I have to say, it works better than LaMer, EL, and everything else I've tried without causing breakouts. The smell is a light lemony/lavander (which I hate) but the texture is milky, almost whipped, My skin drinks it right up. It's very comforting to use. You need very little as it just 'spreads' well (liquifies). However, I do find I get a bit shinier during the day but it is not a big problem (can be corrected with powder) compared to the advantages: it really EXFOLIATES. I have a lot a scars and they seem to vanish when I use this. I really get a glow and even skin tone. The jar is depressing (I wish it was glass). Overall, one of my favorite moisturizers in the world.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2008 5:24:00 PM More reviews by ninadelsol

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I though this product would REALLY be Hope in a Jar. It's even over-hyped up by Oprah. Don't fall for the brilliant marketing scheme of the whole Philosophy brand. I haven't found one Philosophy product that works yet and they are SOOO overpriced.
Hope in a Jar made my skin feel like it was on fire and then it went into complete breakout mode. I tried to use it a few weeks later to see if it was a bad first try and it did it again. I was also using the Purity cleanser which was pretty bad too and left a film on my skin. HIAJ is VERY BAD FOR SENSITIVE SKIN. IT WILL CAUSE BREAKOUTS. I do not recommend it. This went directly to the trash.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2008 4:24:00 PM More reviews by vivapandora

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really like Philosophy products, but this makes me breakout and I don't like the smell.
The lighter version - hope in a bottle - just didn't wow me.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2008 4:44:00 PM More reviews by emmathan

I have mildly acne-prone, combination skin (I'm a teenager, so the acne is kind of a given) and this did no good for me. At first, I used it all over my face- bad idea, because then my nose, forehead and chin were really shiny, and it made me break out. Since I really wanted to like it (for how it's priced, it's difficult to just throw away) I just used it on the dry spots, and then I broke out there, too.
It smells nice. Not much else going for it, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2008 6:44:00 AM More reviews by 1kathyann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have to be careful of what I put on my face for a lot of things will cause my face to break out more, I cant not believe that this gets such bad reviews..I love this..my skin is so soft and no harsh break outs, I have been using for over a month now and absolutley love it. I read that some people said it leaves a residue on thier face, I feel they are using to much, you only need a little..it goes a long long way, and my makeup goes on so nice after using this. Hope some others will try it and give this a better rating, its not heavy and the jar is not that bad I kind of like being able to just dab my finger in it and get a little unlike using a tube and always getting more than I need and wasting a lot of it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2008 4:30:00 AM More reviews by kiwiipi3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this really evened out my oiliness but gave me moisture in my dry spots. i luv this product

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2008 5:13:00 PM More reviews by asphyxiad0ll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was originally very daunted to try this product because of all the negative reviews here, but I bought this on a whim when I was at Sephora, and I'm thrilled that I did.

First, my history: I've been acne-prone [the fun kind that leaves huge scars] since I was in 3rd grade [that's right, growing up was SO much fun for me]. My skin calmed down in high school, but I still get blemishes around that time of the month, and other randoms here and there. Other than that, my skin is pretty normal. However, it's got a slightly combination temper, which gets a bit worse in the winter. So I wanted something to make it happy again, and also to battle the wrinkles I've been getting in my forehead [22 is too young for wrinkles, dammit!]

After using Hope for a little over 2 weeks, I'm thrilled. My skin is moisture-lush, but not broken out at all [I attribute this to the fact that Hope is a water-based moisturizer, not oil-based]. My wrinkles have already minimized into fine lines, and overall, my skin just feels healthy and happy again. I use Hope once or twice a day - when I get out of the shower, or after I've just used their face wash - Purity Made Simple. I'm definitely a believer in this product, so don't be afraid to give it a try!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No