December 18, 2014 | 1631 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2008 12:39:00 AM More reviews by pathofpeace

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have no idea if this stuff actually works. I cannot stand to let it be on my skin long enough to find out. The smell is just horrid and not the easiest thing in the world to remove.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2008 11:31:00 PM More reviews by hatsumi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

The consistency is very watery and thin. My concealer doesn't adhere well to this. It made my eyes burn! This moisturizer also STINKS! I can't stand it. Thank goodness I got a sample size. I won't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2008 2:55:00 AM More reviews by Rubiez

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best out of all the moisturizer i've tried, but then I haven't used many yet.

The smell, as most everyone has said is awful, but after a while, you get used to it and don't notice it as much.

My skin is oily around my nose and mouth, dry on my nose because I use a prescription gel for blackheads.
Right after putting it on, it feels great, my skin is soft and smooth. However, after a while the oily parts of my face got oily, very fast. So I do not reccomend this as a morning moisturizer for those w/oily skin.
My cheeks are dry in the winter and this doesn't help with the dryness at all.

-1lippy: I feel that dipping your finger into the pot is unsanitary.

-1 lippy: I was expecting this to make my skin better, and it didn't do much. Also didn't help with the dryness.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2008 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Lynsi01

***PSA: THIS IS A HOLY GRAIL ALERT*** got this stuff in the LE House of Miracles set from Sephora. It's AMAZING. I first looked at it in the jar and thought, oh, this is gonna be thick and heavy. I couldn't be further from the truth. It's got an incredible whipped texture, and it just melts into my skin. I use in the AM and as soon as I put it on, it makes my skin absolutely GLOW. It's not heavy, greasy, or anything. I've been looking for a moisturizer that would replace my discontinued Lancome Impactive for years, and this by far is it. No breakouts, smoother skin, light pleasant scent. I only wish there was a more sanitary way to use it rather than dipping fingers into a jar! Already repurchased!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2008 3:06:00 PM More reviews by waterfreak

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ugh....so I caved in and decided to try this based on the voluminous reviews. I only got the smallest jar for $15. I really don't like the scent of this, in fact it really grosses me out. I can't even describe what it is really, but it's not appealing at all and I could still smell it through my makeup, etc. I was soooo hoping that this would be great for me. I do like the product and the way it feels on my skin as I apply it. It seems to sit well under my mineral foundation. However, it is not as moisturizing as I would like it to be. I still feel the dry patches on my cheeks about an hour after applying this. I haven't felt that with many other moisturizers I've used before. For the price, I expected this to do a lot more. I would have considered keeping this as an emergency backup, but since I can't stand the smell, I refuse to use it. It's going straight back to Sephora. I took off two lippies because of the scent, the performance being less than I expected and the price. I'll just stick with my Chanel Sublimage and Hydramax which I love.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2008 2:51:00 AM More reviews by kexin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have dried so many moisturizers from Creme de la Mer to D/S variety. None have been outstanding- some down right horrible (read Clinique) Hope in a Jar is awesome. I have super sensitive, rosacea, combo skin with the odd breakout. This creme is like heaven on my skin. Calms my redness (true!!!), doesn't break me out, and doesn't cause an oil slick on my T-zone. But, it does do what it is supposed to- it moisturizes. Some have written that they don't like the smell. Me- I like it!!! Not a hint of perfume. Its hard to describe- sort of a herbal scent. I highly recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2008 9:16:00 PM More reviews by sksterling

Over-hyped, in my opinion. For me, with pretty normal to dry skin with the occasional pimple, it just wasn't as nice as I thought it should be. It didn't spread smoothly, and got a bit tacky. I didn't mind the smell, it went away. I wouldn't use this if you wear a foundation, it makes it pill if it's liquid and streak if it's powder. Too many 'restrictions' for a moisturizer; I am all about 'slap and go' applications.
But I guess Oprah loves it, so, um......well, good for Oprah.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2008 4:14:00 PM More reviews by noelle198311

I tried this product and my skin dried out. it peeled. after just 2-3 days of using it I stopped.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2008 5:29:00 AM More reviews by WenchMartha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm on my second jar, having recently come back to it. For me, it works great. I don't mind the lavendar/herb kind of smell but I can see how others would not use this based on that alone. It does appear rather "cheap lotion-y" as someone mentioned but it's the only face cream that sinks in completely on me without the need for excess blotting or waiting. And my skin is mostly dry. While my t-zone tends to be more oily in the summer, this cream doesn't create the greasies on me. Price is my primary complaint but I've found decent deals on ebay. I haven't used any other Philosophy face moisturizer so I can't compare but it does better on me than my Bobbi Brown moisture cream. I think if you have overly sensitive skin or skin that easily breaks out, you may want to evaluate the ingredients before trying.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2008 5:23:00 AM More reviews by scheherazade08

I had to see what everyone was raving about, ordered from sephora.com.

Opened it: The texture was kind of thick and cheap lotion-y looking, thought it would probably be greasy on my skin. The smell is...definitely different. I can see why a lot of people say they hate the smell, it's exactly like fresh dirt. Not horrid or anything though.

Used it: NOT greasy on my skin like I thought it would be. Didn't break me out, no allergic reaction or anything. The smell lingers for a short while after putting it on. I would say, however, that if you have oily skin you would probably not like this. Dry skin would love it though, combination might better only put it on the dry areas. I don't know about sensitive skin, but from the other reviews here I'd say not to risk it. I noticed on the ingredients, that they are ALL long scientific (fake stuff) words. Doesn't *really* bother me, but stay far away if you like more natural products.

EDIT: I didn't have this very long and hardly used it. I had dry lips recently and opened it to put on my lips. It was all yellow and chunky, totally unusable. I spent a lot (for me) on this and now I can't even rub it on my lips. No idea why it went bad. Anyone want a container of dried up chunks of moisturizer? >:(