MAC Face and Body Foundation

Water, Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, PVP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Talc, Tocopherol, Tocopherol Acetate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange), Fusanus Spicatus Wood oil, Xantham Gum, Triethanolamine, Polysorbate 20, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens]

on 12/13/2007 9:08:00 AM

I bought this unseen over the internet and guessed the shade I thought I would be - I know it sounds foolhardy, but N3 turned out to be a really good match for my fair/medium pinky skintone. This product although very sheer, gives surprisingly good coverage if you've got pretty good skin to start with. However, it does dry onto the skin in a matter of seconds so speed is of the essence when applying. I use my fingers on well moisturised skin and use only a small amount on each area of face and blend it as quickly as possible. I tried a foundation brush but I couldn't blend it fast enough! I really like the end result - it gives me a natural yet finished appearance and seems to stay put. A word of warning though - at the beginning I put rather too much on and blended the excess down into my neck. Although I'm in my forties, I was not prepared for the scrawny chicken-neck that I saw in the mirror! It seemed to highlight every little crease and crinkle, but after a bit a makeup remover, 10 years were removed from my neck and normality was restored! This does not happen on my face I might add, where I think the finish is very flattering. On the whole I think this is a good foundation and I enjoy using it - just remember, less is more, especially if you're over 40 (like me)!!

on 12/9/2007 4:53:00 PM

I LOVE this foundation. I have tried most foundations on the market - at one time or another. This one is THE ONE for me. However, I doubt it would be so great for everyone. As stated below, it gives more coverage than a tinted moisterizer, less than most liquid foundations. Although coverage is buildable, there is really no way to make this more than a light coverage foundation. It has a very thin consistency for its level of coverage - more liquid than is usual. Sooo - this works for my middle age skin that has no visible discoloration or blemishes. I am not oily, only slightly dry (and I have a great moisterizer for that), and do not have T-zone issues. At the risk of inviting a zit, I actually have really good skin and this foundation shows that off to best advantage. It really enhances my complexion and leaves a dewy finish. However, if I had any skin issues (and that has happened at times in my life when I was younger) this foundation would just not work.

on 12/7/2007 7:12:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

This was my first foundation from MAC and something i dont wear a lot is foundation as my skin is pretty clear, i only wear it sometimes to cover the redness in my cheeks or if im going on a night out.

So the girl who put the foundation on me choose C3 and in the dimly lit shop my face looked so yellow! but once she put concealer and blush on me it looked a lot better so i purchased it. I like how it isn't heavy and it's very natural looking the only thing is i need to really try and keep my face from going oily as my t-zone is pretty bad and this foundation already gives that 'dewy' look so i think im liking this so far and i suppose with all foundations they dont really last all day.

The only prob i have with this is the colour i think C3 is a little too dark for me and im trying to find anyone who has a sample of C2 they could send me so i could try that and see if that's better matched to my skin. But all round i'd maybe purchase this again unless i find something better. It will last a long time with the size of the bottle.

on 11/23/2007 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This has become my HG foundation. its sheer but had enough coverage to make me think all my flaws are concealed. I have acne prone skin and this does not break me out, and since im dry too this helps me form using too much lotion. I use c3 and it is suitable for me winter and summer. The bottle is Huge for the cost, im on my second now, but it has taken me 13 months to use up the first.

on 10/27/2007 2:51:00 PM

I have combo, sensitive skin. When my skin is dry, this soaks in nicely and gives a dewy, natural look. However, on most days my skin is oily and this foundation just doesn’t work. This is unbelievably watery and provides just a smidgen of coverage. This foundation makes my skin feel slightly tacky/sticky- even after I apply powder. Not surprising since the consistency of face&body is sortof oily upon touch. Really! That can’t be a good thing. I used a foundation brush & sponge to apply this but nothing worked. My skin was always left looking oily. Who wants to touch an oily face??? It looks ok layered but the more I do, the oilier I get. You get the idea. Lastly, this caused whiteheads on my face. I wore this for weeks and the whiteheads wouldn’t go away. I went off this foundation, began using MUFE matte+ and my white heads cleared. I tried using this recently and the whiteheads came back again! AH. I never learn. If you want something long-wearing with moderate coverage do NOT purchase this. I am convinced mac foundations will never work for me. I’ve since moved on to Makeup Forever matte+- love it!

on 10/21/2007 10:33:00 PM

Face & Body by MAC is a Pro-only foundation, sold at Pro stores. It is housed in a big plastic squeezy bottle and is quite economical compared to MAC's other foundations - 4 oz (120ml) for $31USD or thereabouts.) Squeeze-top bottle is very sanitary and durable, a little goes a fair way, but don't shake with lid on - you'll end up with foundation all caked in the lid, eww.

This foundation is very watery - think thin thin lotion. If left, it tends to settle, but a good shake mixes it all together again. As with all 'sheer' foundations, this does tend to look odd and cake when applied with a heavier hand, but it is intended for a NATURAL, SHEER & DEWY finish, which it does indeed give. This foundation will NOT cover festering pimples, but it will even your skin out and has the appearance of no-makeup.

C3 blended into my skin very well - very minor blemishes were covered up, but I could see that an extra concealing step would be needed for undereye and a slightly bigger blemish. I'm usually an NC30 in MAC's other foundations (NC25 in Studio Fix Fluid) and a Chanel 30. The smell is slightly off-putting - a kind of weird, sterile scent, but it goes away.

Wear-wise, performance is average. It is not really waterproof - it came off onto a napkin after slight sweating. You would definitely need to set this with powder. The water-based formula is (so far) noncomodegenic, and I have not noticed any unusual breakouts while using this foundation.

Taking it off, about 12 hours after I applied it, I still had foundation on my cotton pad. In photos, my skin looks even and it does not flash white. Overall, I am very satisfied with this foundation. It's a great foundation to wear for everyday - the sheer coverage is lovely. I would like it to wear better and longer, though, but you have to allow for the formula itself. I tend to mix this into my moisturizer every day and then add powder on top. I've had this for four months and am about a third of the way though.

I am NC25 (Studio Fix), C3 (MAC Face & Body), 30 (Chanel), 2 (MUFE Face & Body, winter) & OC02 (Lunasol Intellectual Powder foundation, winter) Combination skin.

on 10/9/2007 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use this in C2, and it is amazing! I apply it by shaking the bottle and smoothing it on w/ my fingers, then I apply some concealer under my eyes and on blemishes or red marks and then I lightly set it with JI Pure Pressed base (in Warm Sienna)...this gives me a flawless but non-made up look. I have never received more compliments on my skin since I have started exclusively wearing this. I was very nervous to try Face & Body, since my skin is highly sensitive and acne prone and every MAC foundation I have ever tried has caused problems. I have been using this for over 4 months and it hasn't clogged my pores or caused ANY breakouts. I just wish I would have tried it sooner!! Face & Body definitely gives a "dewey" and "glowy" look, and I happen to like that look, but I still powder it a little to matte out the T-zone and it's perfect. It's long wearing, lightweight, has a great color range, and best of all, comes in a gigantic plastic squeeze bottle that will last forever...really good for the price which is around $28 US. I would highly recommend this to anyone with fairly good skin (it will even out your skintone but it probably wouldn't cover anything major), and anyone with sensitive or acne prone skin looking for a good, everyday foundation. I think this would also work for just about any skin type, from oily to dry, because the texture is so lightweight and easy to blend.

on 8/26/2007 11:02:00 PM

I had to give this another go so I after a long chat with a MAC SA she gave me a huge sample in the shade N1 which is THE perfect color. I test drove this setting it with powder and holy cow it looked amazing. Somehow it isn't breaking me out this time. My skin is pretty good but there are days when I want a tad more coverage and 2 coats of this is cover enough. I can skip moisturizer with this but even with Embrolisse it looks great also found that a flat top brush works best. Oh and buff it in, seems the more you buff this stuff the better it looks.

on 8/26/2007 4:18:00 PM

Man, oh, man. Where do I begin?
I was first introduced to this stuff through a makeup artist I frequently worked with. I've always been a cream foundation sort-of gal, so when I saw this and the consistency of it, I thought, "OH NO!" I thought it was going to be this sheer foundation that was going to do nothing but sit on top of my skin and show all my little imperfections.
When I saw the end result (before powder was dusted on), I was more than amazed. It's amazing-- how a foundation so light and thin-- could even out my skin tone so well and make me look like I had a full-coverage foundation on my face.
A little goes a long way with this stuff. I also find the price ($30, I believe) to be more than acceptable, being you get quite a lot of product in the bottle.
Unlike the other MAC foundation products, I didn't have ANY pore-cloggage or funky irritations with this one. Nothing but glowing, radiant skin. It's like the real me, but much better!
The coverage can start out sheer, but it's easily buildable. Once the makeup sets it looks gorgeous! I love the way my skin feels every time I wash it off. Not sure what the ingredient contents are, but my skin always feels silky and moisturised.
One thing I have found is an oil-free moisturiser works better with this (my HG is LUSH Dream Cream-- the combination is far too oily and slippery). It's especially nice with a good primer underneath (I use Smashbox Photo Finish).
I use this all over my body, as well (not on the tattooed spots, at least). I have a bit of scarring on my legs that's hung around for many years-- they tend to have small red blotches on 'em, and this sorts 'em right out. I usually don't use a moisturiser on my legs prior to application-- just to make sure the colour grabs on. It does a magnificent job of moisturising them, I think!
I think this is the best foundation MAC makes, hands down.
There isn't a wide range of shades available, but I feel that this stuff is very versatile. Working on photoshoots, the MUA used the same colour on four different girls with varying skin tone and it flattered us all. I've been matched and re-matched with MAC's usual palette of colours and have never found a suitable match, until I tried this stuff.

Go on, treat yourself!

I got a sample of this foundation and immediately fell in love with it. I am NC42 and the C5 F&B is the most accurate colour match I have found to date. The consistency is thin and takes some getting used to. It also sets quickly so you will need to apply it quickly. I have tried applying this with my 190 brush and with fingers and find that the brush gives the most natural effect. Coverage is sheer and the finish is flawless and dewy. Oily girls may want to use a dusting of powder over it to cover shine even though it does not need powder to set. It photographs beautifully, with no ghostly whitish cast as there is no SPF in the product.

This would have HG status if the coverage was a little better but I can see I will have to buy another foundation to fall back on for bad skin days. For this reason, I do not recommend it to those who need medium or heavier coverage. You do get 120ml of foundation instead of the usual 30ml so I consider it good value and it comes in a hygienic squeezy bottle.
Edit: I finally bought a second 187 for foundation and it works so much better at applying this.