September 22, 2014 | 1026 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2010 12:01:00 PM More reviews by 99pop99

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

At the start of the day this product looks fantastic, although saying sheer, like everyone else, gives a medium coverage, and gives a 'glow', but not dewy, look to your face. But this is at the start of the day. throughout the day my tzone, which isnt that oily, but oily enough for this, makes the foundation separate and enlarges my pores. not very nice at all. feels light, but sometimes looking at it just makes me cringe, and im not really one for touching up through out the day (in school) so i leave it. oh god i dislike it. the only reason i wear it is because i have some red spots on my cheeks. on some days, also, if my skin isnt to happy, the foundadtion goes on really cakey. strange.

DONT USE PRIMER! last time i used primer with this product it made my face really cakey, eeew,!

i wont rebuy this, and if you have slightly bad skin i do not recommend it to you. im going to try shu uemura face architect next, that sounds preettty good!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2010 7:20:00 AM More reviews by itsjustme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

ryssakaprincess below me gave a very accurate review of the product. This is more medium to fmedium full coverage depending on how you apply it. Firstly, I would describe the texture as very liquidy and spreads easily and evenly, I read somewhere that you can only use this with a water based primer, this is not true. I spent a day trying it with the nars primer (water based) on one side and MAC Prep & Prime on the other. I noticed the nars primer helped it to blend better but apply anything after this including blusher and it gets a lil cakey. It will also fade quicker and be less transfer resistent, even using blotting sheets took some makeup off which has never happened before.

Back to the foundation, I could not apply it with my fingers, maybe I am so used to using brushes but it came out a bit streaky. I even compared one side with my 187 and one with fingers. With the 187 it gave more coverage (i like medum to full coverage) and it looked much more even, slightly airbrushed. After 3 days of experimentation, I noticed the best way for me to apply it was pouring onto my hand which gave it warmth, then with the 187 and stippling it onto my face then blending slightly. I noticed with this foundation you can NOT blend too much, this was my mistake at first and I hated it as it stuck to my pores and spots, making my face look weird. The foundation drys to a sticky finish. It is almost like it sticks to your face but still feels sticky to touch. I would compare it to the way MAC lipglass sticks to the lips. As a result of this I found stippling it was the best as moving it in circular motions and buffing too much thinned it and made it cling to pores and spots euugh. Because this foundation drys quickly it means you may have to work a bit faster then if you are used to working with liquid foundation with dewy finish. However as a positive, because it drys quickly it means as soon as you have done 1 layer, you can add another layer for more coverage straightaway and it will not look cakey. I apply 2 layers every day and use about 1 and a half pumps so not actually that much. I have tried using 4 layers bout 2 pumps and found it gave full coverage.
THE FINISH OF THE FOUNDATION- if you were looking for a dewy foundation or a sheer foundation like a tinted moisturiser, this is not for you. It gives just a bit less then medium coverage with 1 layer of foundation and the glow comes from the way it reflects the light, it is a semi matte finish. It must be set with powder but it will last ALLL day. I tried it 1 day without any setting powder and it lasted 8 hours but was easily coming off with only a slight touch and was not the same coverage as when I first applied it. With settting powder it lasts bout 16 hours. I noticed this foundation gets better as the day goes on, it mixes more with my natural face oils and lives more up to its name 'sheer glow' as for the first two hours, it was a bit too matte for me. For this reason I would advise to sample this for the day.
THE COLOURS: the colour range is absolutely fantastic, this is the first time ever with a foundation that I have been able to wear 2 shades of the same line (new orleans and benares). Usually I struggle finding 1. I cannot really comment on the lighter colours but for the ladies of colour, I would suggest to try on at least 3 different colours as the colour range is not so straight forward, some colours are listed as being lighter than another but actually they are not. Also it seems some colours come out differently on different skin colours that are not that different, it seems to be something to do with undertones? I would say for example I found new orleans which is listed as medium dark to come out darker than new guinea which is listed as dark. Then trinidad(dark 3) which is listed as having yellow undertones seemed more reddish and was lighter than benares (dark 2) which it is listed after. I think it is important for this reason to go somewhere which sells the ENTIRE range so you do not miss out, If you live in London this would be Selfridges and Liberty. Harvey nichols space nk had most of it but seemed to be running out and other space nks only go up to new guinea (dark 1). The shades I had to choose between were new orleans and benares. I have yellow undertones but my skin colour is slightly reddish. both colours looked orangey which i guess works as yellow plus red= orange. Both seemed to have yellow undertones with benares being just the slightest bit of a red tone. new orleans was a bit too light but would be perfect for winter. new orleans is the shade naomi campbell uses. Benares is perfect for MAC NW47 but was a bit too dark for me. both seemed to work as honestly in the bottle benares and new orleans look so alike. 1 is just slightly darker, (benares). I noticed if you have oily skin, the foundation will oxidise without a primer, I first tried it on without one and benares went way dark and orange after 4 hours. With a primer though as a barrier I had no problems, more so with the MAC P+P than Nars primer. Also the colour is very concentrated and I think thats how the coverage looks fuller as it gets more concentrated as the semi matte loook wears off and gets more of a glow.

NEGATIVES- the only negatives I can find is that possibly I might have to mix 2 shades for an exact perfect match and that it has no pump, otherwise it is PERFECT and lasts alll day.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2010 7:24:00 PM More reviews by rysskayaprincess

I think my 6 years of finding the "perfect" foundation has ended. I never was satisfied fully with any foundation I have purchased in the past. To name just a few Dior, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Chanel, Mac, Ysl etc. At first I would like the foundation and then I would find all the flaws but with sheer glow it is a totally different experience. It applies smoothly just like a lotion or a cream. The coverage is medium/ full depending on how you like it. The best thing is that it looks natural once applied and stays put around 5/6 hours nicely, after that it may go abit shiny but not super oily just a nice glow. I have combination/oily skin that is prone to break outs and mild redness and this foundation gives me a nice natural looking coverage whilst covering my flaws and making my face to appear healthy and radiant as the day progresses. When wearing this foundation I don't worry about my face looking dull as with many foundations you get uneven skin texture as the day goes and also many foundations settle in your facial expressions but with this I do not get any of that. I also have noticed that this foundation covers flaws really nicely. It is sheer which does suprise me how well it covers but yet still looks very natural. I love that as I have uneven skin texture many foundations looked very cakey on me because I had to always wear full coverage but with this foundation it is a different story. This foundation would suit many skin types but dry skin types should be aware that the skin should be fully moisturised before applying this foundation as it does settle on the dry parts of the face by making the skin look alot drier than it may actually be. For that part Im not to sure why it states on the packeging that it is suitable for drier skin types maybe due to the part that it is a water based foundation it may provide hydration throughout the day and make the skin look less dry. Also for the pump part I really dont mind, I just shake the bottle turn it upside down and pour some foundation on my index finger and then apply it in dots all over my face and finally spread it with a foundation brush such as "Gosh". Really easy and simple technique which works for me. Fingers do a really good job at applying this foundation but as I have combination to oily skin I really do not want to apply more oil on my face.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2010 1:45:00 AM More reviews by martha0021

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After all the hype about this poduct, wonderful reviews, and appealing name "Sheer Glow" I had to run and get it! I was so excited to use it but now very disappointed. I guess its my dry skin that ruined it for me. After an hour of having it on it shows my dry skin.. patches of dry skin but only on the area around my nose because that is my driest area. I wanted this foundation to work sooo bad because It definetly has it's pros: easy to blend, oil free, fragrance free, medium coverage, buildable, and I can really she the glow when I wear it. But, I can not wear a product that will make me look unhealthy and if it's making my skin look unhealthy then, it is not doing it any good. I'd like to add, for a product that retails for $42.00 it should really, really come with a pump!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2010 9:37:00 PM More reviews by fading_visions

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this foundation (I haven't used it enough to say that I love it) and Gobi matches me perfectly. Being asian, it's a bit of a chore to find a good match. I got four samples of this at Sephora to make SURE I had the right shade. Both Fiji and Deauville were too dark for me, Mont Blanc was a touch too light and too pink. I found my perfect match in Gobi! I really like the texture and how it makes my skin look. No, this is not sheer or glowy. It is more like medium coverage, satin finish - perfect for hiding most of my flaws on my combination skin. It looks super natural and photographs beautifully. At the end of the day, there is minimal fading and I don't need to blot.

YES, this will cling to dry patches but I find that most foundations do that unless they are very, very moisturizing, creamy foundations. The biggest complaint seems to be that the foundation comes without a pump/you have to buy it separately. I read somewhere that NARS believes the best way to apply this is with your hands and having a pump would encourage one to use brushes. Yes, it can be messy if you pour it out onto a palette/ the back of your hand so what I do is shake the bottle with my finger over the opening and use the foundation that has collected on my finger. That's pretty much all I need for my entire face anyway.

The only complaint I have is that it is $61CAD (including taxes) but I will continue purchasing because it is so hard for me to find something that's a perfect match, doesn't oxidize on me, stays all day and looks like my skin but better.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2010 3:10:00 PM More reviews by Noussie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Skintone : NC42-44

I absolutely love this foundation!! I have very oily skin but SG is perfect for me, i will get a little oily after a few hours but nothing too dramatic.
It provides me with glowy and healthy skin and the coverage is great.
It stays put pretty much all day and i love how the color is a perfect match (Syracuse). I love the sleek look of the bottle but it's a shame that you have to buy the pump seperatly.

I will most definetly purchase again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2010 6:55:00 PM More reviews by amesrh

I got matched at sephora yesterday. I must say this color matches me perfectly (punjab: I am NC 30 and 4 Natural in Bobbi Brown) I hear you should only use this with water based primer (so my smashbox photo finish is perfect). It makes my skin glow but not too dewy. I got my hopes up when I saw the pump at sephora but the lady says the pumps were only for display purposes. :( Oh well. Overall, if you have dry sensitive asian skin like me it works wonders! I will just this sparingly bc of the $40 price tag (and the bottle looks way smaller in person, hence the 2 rating on price)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2010 4:36:00 PM More reviews by Snowfnugg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My last HG fndt., which was Kanebo cream finish, was discontinued about a year ago, and ever since I've searched for a new one. I think my search can be called off. Although I've only tried it once as I got it today, I can already say this is my new HG. It feels light as if I didn't wear any fndt. at all, but gives nice coverage. I think it does as it says giving a nice "glow". I got it in the shade Mont Blanc which suits my pale skin perfectly. I will update if this breaks me out or loses it's HG status.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 1:55:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation is definitely HG for me! I am in love. I mean it's not sticky at all. It applies smoothly, makes your skin look airbrushed, kissed, and glowing. It feels like wearing nothing on your face, even in the summer. I have combination skin and this foundation was not oily on my skin or drying. It was just perfect. Being NC 43-45, I've always had problems with foundations being too orange or too red on me, and making me look like I had spend hours in the sun; however, Nars actually has shades for people of all skin tones that do not give off orange and red tones. Now my face matches my chest, and neck. I do agree with other reviewers that I would have loved a pump; I hate putting my fingers on the product to apply it. I am applying sheer glow with the MAC 109 or 165 LE brushes. Both do a great job with application. Lastly, I am using Sheer Glow in Cadiz. *Now that it is summer, I am adding half a pea sized amount of Sheer Glow in Macao to a dime sized amount of Cadiz.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2010 2:35:00 PM More reviews by letseat

I've been using this for 6months and it's overall a fantastic foundation. I have sensitive dry skin and this oil free formula is still great on my skin.

What I really like about it is;

-the consistency - very easily to apply using foundation, kabuki or fingers! nars foundations have a warmth activator where you get more of a natural finish using your fingers

-coverage - although it says sheers it's rather medium.

-photography - perfect for photos as ur face doesn't appear white in photos as with all Nars products

On the other hand, which is a minor problem but it's not suitable for a day look unless you hardly put n e on. Also the colour range is rather strange - it suddenly drops to a deep colour between Fiji, Punjab to Barcelona.

I'm using Barcelona but I mix it with my MUFE foundation which is too light and I wear this day and night time.

***CHANGED TO 5 STARS***
i'm using this again since i'm super tanned now, and i don't mix it with any other foundation. i use it day and night time and it is superb! people have been commenting on how great my skin looks.

for the day i use my fingers to apply for a more natural look. for night i use a brush then my fingers as this has more coverage.

the most important thing is that this doesn't clog my skin :D i will be buying the fiji coloured in winter when i'm lighter :D