NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 10/27/2010 4:10:00 PM

I heard about NARS Sheer Glow for over a year and never thought twice about it because I rarely use liquid foundation and try to stick with natural brands for skin and foundation products. I tried Tarte, Korres, 100% pure and a few others for liquid foundation and was always intitally amazed and then disasatisfied. I can say that the same goes for this one. I loved it at first...it went on so smoothly and covered so well, like creamy porcelain. Later, however, like many reviews have stated, it fades and kind of sits on the skin which is not good for my dry cheeks/under my eyes. Why do I give it a 4 then, because I like how it makes my skin feel, I like that it feels lightweight, does not make me break out, is free from a lot of terrible ingredients surprisingly, FIJI tones down the red in my skin (NC 20 but I have rosy cheeks), and overall does a pretty good job of being a foundation. Not perfect, but really good to me and it is a keeper. I think it really depends on your skin how well this will work for you. I recommend exfoliating, using a good moisturizer and maybe a primer, if you have dry skin or areas like me.

on 10/25/2010 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I don't understand the hype surrounding this foundation. I have tried using is a million different ways, with primers, without, with different foundation brushes but nothing makes this product look "right". It doesn't stay on the skin and fades throughout the day- It doesn't give me a dewy look at all. I accept it's "sheer" but if sheer is what you are after then I think laura mercier's tinted moisturiser is a 100 times better alternative- and the results are stunning. I hate the fact that Nars don't have pumps for their foundations either. You can't control how much product comes out and the fact that the foundation is then exposed to the air and oxides is hardly hygienic and reduces its shelf life. Would not buy this over-priced, over-hyped product ever again.

on 10/24/2010 10:17:00 AM

I bought this product based on the rave reviews on MUA. I'm currently searching for a HG-status foundation and was hoping this would be the last stop on my search. Wrong.

I thought the color choices for Sheer Glow were fine - I was able to find a close match with Deauville. After getting home and trying it on, I probably could have gone one shade deeper with Figi. For reference, my skin coloring is N20-25, with very slight warm tones.

I applied this foundation with my fingers, which is my preferred method for all foundations unless I'm trying something with very heavy coverage, then I will use a sponge. (one of the cheap wedge sponges works very well for me). The Sheer Glow went on fine, looked pretty good when I left the house for work at 8am. However, by noon, I checked out my face and it looked like the foundation was just sitting on top of my skin. My face was also EXTREMELY oily/dewy looking. I looked wet. Not a good look for the office. When I went to blot my face, the foundation just seemed to slide off - very odd.

A couple things to note: I have breakout-prone and combo skin. I'm on Retin A, but don't have much of an issue with flakiness anymore, just dry areas around the mouth. The Sheer Glow didn't seem to accentuate any of my typically dry areas, which was a plus. Another plus, is that I don't think made me break out - but keep in mind I only tried the foundation twice. As far as primer, I'm just using Sofina SS as my primer and its worked great for years. I'm very resistant to putting layers upon layers of product on my face just to get a foundation to work, but that said, maybe this foundation would work well with a traditional primer. When I returned this foundation to Sephora, the SA told me that I might not have been happy with the application because I didn't use a foundation brush. Perhaps she was correct, but this is where I'm a bit fussy - I don't want to buy special tools to just make a foundation work. I firmly believe that my HG foundation (whenever I find it) will apply beautifully with just fingers. So the search continues...

on 10/23/2010 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

I like this a lot. I have combo skin (dry/oily) with a bit of spider veins around my nose. This stuff is sheer but buildable. I use my bb fdnt brush and sephora plat airbrush to blend it and the result is amazing. You might need to put a primer pror to use because it doesn't really last that long. I still find myself blotting after couple of hours. Wish it comes in a pump. I'll keep using this during winter but I'll switch to mac pro longwear during summer time. I'm nc40/42 and I use syracuse.

on 10/23/2010 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

The reviewer below me, Darkling, basically covered everything I was coming here to write about NARS Sheer Glow Foundation- right down to the fact that this stuff is going back to Sephora.

I like Laura Mercier's oil-free tinted moisturizer for the summer, and I was looking for a foundation that would offer a little more coverage for fall. I'm still scratching my head about what made me think Sheer Glow would be that foundation, as this is one of the worst foundations I've used since junior high.

The slight coverage this product offered lasted all of about 20 minutes on my face- then it would slide around and completely vanish. I found myself powdering my face every hour just to make myself look presentable. Seriously, this stuff goes on like it's oil and water.

Beyond that, the color selection is awful. I've got pale skin, and I usually go for either the lightest or second lightest option in any range of foundations. The second lightest option in the Sheer Glow line, Deauville, was straight-up yellow on my skin. I purchased the lightest option, Siberia, and found that while it looked okay immediately after application, it would go chalk-white within minutes. It also did nothing to conceal any redness in my skin, and contrary to the brand's claims, was anything but buildable.

This was not the product for me.

on 10/20/2010 7:22:00 PM

I bought this product with high hopes based on the reviews here and on YouTube. It did not apply easily (and I tried many brushes, sponges, and fingers). The finished result wasn't very natural, but the worst part about it was how it unnaturally faded throughout the day.

It was very disappointing to come home after work and see the hot mess this created on my face. It faded in some areas and appeared concentrated in other areas. I gave up and returned it to Sephora.

I think it's very overpriced and the packaging is bad. Who pours foundation out of a bottle?! I have happily switched to LMTM and will avoid all foundation in the future.

on 10/20/2010 1:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I absolutely LOVE this foundation. Like everyone else, I have tried countless foundations that I have loved for a week and then gotten bored of or realized I looked awful in photos - not so with Nars Sheer Glow. This product is great. I just returned from an extended trip abroad and was so pleased to look through my pictures and see how well this photographs! No SPF, which is a must for my foundations because I hate that ghostly glow SPF gives in photos. In photos from 8am and 10pm my skin looks great, and I never touched up.

I have tried several different application methods and find that rubbing it into my skin with my fingers is by far the best for great coverage and an airbrushed look. This is how the Nars girl recommended I should apply it, but i went through a slew of brushes before I finally decided she was right.

I have pretty good skin naturally and am dry all over. This does highlight scaly dry patches if I have them, but not any more than other foundations, and the coverage is gorgeous. This makes my skin flawless without being over done or cakey, feels weightless, and wears beautifully throughout the day.

I also have EXTREMELY sensitive skin and eczema, and this is so gentle and beautiful, I even use it under my eyes as a concealer when I am in a rush.

Cannot recommend highly enough! One comment on the color though. I use Santa Fe, which is a perfect match for me, but the less than competent Sephora girl tried to put me in Ceylon, which is several shades too light and designed for asian skin - I am blonde and blue eyed german with pink undertones, obviously not a good fit. I would recommend looking at the color descriptions on the Nars website so that you are informed of the undertones when you go in for a match!

on 10/19/2010 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this foundation! I have A LOT of dark acne scars and this foundation gives me great coverage! I had a problem with the fact it didn't have a pump, but when I bought it, they said Francois Nars made it so you use your hands to apply it. So I just dab a little onto the back of my left hand and apply with my right fingers and get a great finish! I usually don't get a dewy finish right away, but maybe after a few minutes, but that could just be because of my oily skin... It does start to fade after a while, and I do need to retouch, but I don't use a powder to set it, so that can be a reason. I would recommend this to my friends, but I don't want them to know my secret! Ahaha :)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

My Sephora SA made me samples of these as I was just not sure if it would work for me or what shade I needed. I'm so glad I did, because "sheer glow" it was not! Instead of a glow, it was almost completely matte. I have dry skin so I try to avoid matte foundations. I was hoping for a nice dewy coverage and was disappointed. Does not live up to the hype! The only things I liked about it is that it seemed pretty easy to blend and I was able to find a perfect color that wasn't too orange or yellow.

on 10/19/2010 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This foundation is ridiculously overpriced! it though at the beginning I was willing to pay alot for a greta foundation as I had seen so many rave reviews about this product but it was such a let down for me. Firstly it is the worst foundation i have used so far, drugstore included, for covering dry spots. The sheer glow accentuated them alot and made my skin look very unpolished. Secondly I was anticipating a lovely dewy finish but what i got was an extremely matte look which I avoid at all costs, because of my dry skin it always looks very cakey. The coverage was below average and I was afraid of using too much powder on top to add coverage as I would add to the already 'made up' look. And lastly I was quite disappointed that the MUA matched me wrongly and for some reason I didn't think to go outside and check my skin in natural light.