October 30, 2014 | 1697 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2008 2:51:00 AM More reviews by kexin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have dried so many moisturizers from Creme de la Mer to D/S variety. None have been outstanding- some down right horrible (read Clinique) Hope in a Jar is awesome. I have super sensitive, rosacea, combo skin with the odd breakout. This creme is like heaven on my skin. Calms my redness (true!!!), doesn't break me out, and doesn't cause an oil slick on my T-zone. But, it does do what it is supposed to- it moisturizes. Some have written that they don't like the smell. Me- I like it!!! Not a hint of perfume. Its hard to describe- sort of a herbal scent. I highly recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2008 9:16:00 PM More reviews by sksterling

Over-hyped, in my opinion. For me, with pretty normal to dry skin with the occasional pimple, it just wasn't as nice as I thought it should be. It didn't spread smoothly, and got a bit tacky. I didn't mind the smell, it went away. I wouldn't use this if you wear a foundation, it makes it pill if it's liquid and streak if it's powder. Too many 'restrictions' for a moisturizer; I am all about 'slap and go' applications.
But I guess Oprah loves it, so, um......well, good for Oprah.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2008 4:14:00 PM More reviews by noelle198311

I tried this product and my skin dried out. it peeled. after just 2-3 days of using it I stopped.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2008 5:29:00 AM More reviews by WenchMartha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm on my second jar, having recently come back to it. For me, it works great. I don't mind the lavendar/herb kind of smell but I can see how others would not use this based on that alone. It does appear rather "cheap lotion-y" as someone mentioned but it's the only face cream that sinks in completely on me without the need for excess blotting or waiting. And my skin is mostly dry. While my t-zone tends to be more oily in the summer, this cream doesn't create the greasies on me. Price is my primary complaint but I've found decent deals on ebay. I haven't used any other Philosophy face moisturizer so I can't compare but it does better on me than my Bobbi Brown moisture cream. I think if you have overly sensitive skin or skin that easily breaks out, you may want to evaluate the ingredients before trying.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2008 5:23:00 AM More reviews by scheherazade08

I had to see what everyone was raving about, ordered from sephora.com.

Opened it: The texture was kind of thick and cheap lotion-y looking, thought it would probably be greasy on my skin. The smell is...definitely different. I can see why a lot of people say they hate the smell, it's exactly like fresh dirt. Not horrid or anything though.

Used it: NOT greasy on my skin like I thought it would be. Didn't break me out, no allergic reaction or anything. The smell lingers for a short while after putting it on. I would say, however, that if you have oily skin you would probably not like this. Dry skin would love it though, combination might better only put it on the dry areas. I don't know about sensitive skin, but from the other reviews here I'd say not to risk it. I noticed on the ingredients, that they are ALL long scientific (fake stuff) words. Doesn't *really* bother me, but stay far away if you like more natural products.

EDIT: I didn't have this very long and hardly used it. I had dry lips recently and opened it to put on my lips. It was all yellow and chunky, totally unusable. I spent a lot (for me) on this and now I can't even rub it on my lips. No idea why it went bad. Anyone want a container of dried up chunks of moisturizer? >:(

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2008 9:12:00 AM More reviews by oceanmist27

This cream is wonderful. It is kinda pricey, but you only need to use a little! My skin is so much softer & radiant looking since I've started using this. I have combination skin, prone to terrible breakouts around "that time of month". I still get breakouts, but I've noticed they are not quite as bad. I've been wearing less cover-up than I've worn in the past, and my skin looks more even. HIAJ does have a unique smell to it, but not offensive. Personally, I would use it no matter what it smelled like. My skin hasn't looked this healthy in years!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2008 6:34:00 PM More reviews by wetbandit42

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am definitely returning this - I have had better results with drugstore moisturizers. This did absolutely nothing for my skin. It feels gross when you put it on (it's got a really weird texture that isn't pleasant), plus it reeks. It did not moisturize my skin at all - in fact, I think this made it dryer. I don't buy the Philosophy hype, and I'll think twice before getting suckered in again.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2008 2:43:00 PM More reviews by mizz_soaps

I heard so much about this product, I eventually had to try it myself. I was lucky I got it as a gift and was excited to try it. Big mistake. It clogged my pores. Makes my eyes water. And I hate the smell. I thought at first it that it had to grow on me - it didn't. I gave it 3 weeks to grow on me, which turned my skin into a horrible wreck. I will never buy this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/11/2008 12:09:00 PM More reviews by wildberriez4eva

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this reeked. it left a weird film on my skin. it smelled horrible. i would not recommend this product to anyone unless that person had a crappy olfactory sense.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2008 4:10:00 PM More reviews by jkoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The message on the bottle convinces you to buy this, but if you don't have dry skin then it'll make you break out or increase your oiliness. It worked pretty well for the first two weeks, but after that my face was a mess. It's too heavy of a cream and i found it clogged my pores up so I'd get the medium sized red pimples in the areas between my eyes and nose, closer to the bridge. it also smells a bit like medicine. Worst of all, if you have sensitive skin like i do, it actually burned sometimes when i put it on my face, my eyes would tear up and it did not feel or look good at all.

If you have dry skin, go ahead. if you're oily or sensitve, skip this.