April 20, 2014 | 1723 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2011 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Iphy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I have tracked the Naked Palette for a while, only passively, in admiration for those who can shell out $50 for eye shadow (or get gouged, eek), and never expected my makeup addiction to land me glazed over in an Ulta, actually about to buy it. Well I bought it.

I'm so on the fence about this product, sadly. The package still gives me a jolt of excitement, but the product isn't what I expected. The brush I was given is pathetic. Stiff, fake, cheap...is it an eye shadow brush like it says on the handle, or a liner brush? EDIT: I have used this to pack on color, it's ok, but still strangely crunchy for a high end brush. I may condition this to soften. I loathe the UDPP, it's completely pointless to me. I stick with NYX milk as a base, skip primer.

Ok. Those minor things aside: the shadows. There are some goodies and some problem shadows in there. I will be concise.

FALLOUT (even with a base and tapping my brush on my forearm, these shadows fall on my cheekbones. I still use them, but it's a bummer such an expensive palette does this):
Darkhorse (buttery)
Creep (fairly smooth for glitter)
Hustle (buttery)
Gunmetal (fairly smooth for glitter)
GLITTERBOMBS:
Sidecar (a total mess, but smooth)
Creep
Gunmetal
GOOD ONES:
Naked (matte, only slightly chalky)
Half Baked (metallic, smooth)
Sin (frosty, buttery)
Buck (matte, only slightly chalky)
Smog (metallic, smooth)
Toasted (metallic, smooth)
Virgin (frosty, buttery)

They all blend well, even the glitterbombs. They do last. I would not buy this again, you can find nice neutrals cheaper and individually. I do like the portability of this, as I travel.
EDIT 8/31/11: I have fixed up my review a bit, hope it helps better. I must say, this palette is not perfect, but it's so fun. It really makes putting on makeup an enjoyable experience, it makes me creatives, and I look forward to trying out new things.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2011 8:57:00 AM More reviews by caz5000

Amazing selection of neutral colours. But pricey but worth it for the quality of these.

I would buy it again and again

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2011 7:20:00 AM More reviews by ameresh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

In my opinion, this is the best neutral palette on the market. At first glance it's pricey, but you get 12 eyeshadow colors that are extemely high quality, and it will last you a long time. I highly recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2011 7:02:00 AM More reviews by MyWonderland

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This palette is amazing. Although I do have some things that I would change about it, it gets a five because for the price and the quality it's just plain awesome. I'm so happy I bought it, and the colors go great combined or just by themselves. Probably, I'd take Gunmetal off of it because IMO it doesn't do for a great 'Naked' colour, I'd put a dark chocolate matte brown instead. Now, the colours:

Virgin - It's a good highlight color, although I would have enjoyed it to be slightly lighter. It's a very shimmery light beige. What's good about it is that, because it is not completely white, it can work by itself on the lid.

Sin - An Urban Decay classic. More pink than virgin, it's a champagne color, very shimmery and my favorite from the palette along with Toasted, and they look so great together. It's a good highlighter for cheeks too.

Naked - Basic beige. Matte. It's like my skin color, so I don't use it much except to blend in other colors.

Sidecar - This is not my favorite, at all. Just really really really glittery. It's okay though, but don't use too much of it.

Buck - The other color I don't enjoy that much. Wish it was darker but it's good for the crease. It's better than I thought at first sight.

Half Baked - Beautiful and extremelly pigmented gold color. Good combined with Smog.

Smog - One of the best colors there are in the palette. A darker, beautiful metallic.

Darkhorse - A dark shimmery brown with a twist.

Toasted - My favorite, beautiful rosey-brown.

Hustle - A dark dark taupe-purple colour, amazing for outer-V.

Creep - Your average very shimmery black with glitter.

Gunmetal - Dark grey which has some blue undertones, but it is definitely a grey. In my opinion, shouldn't be in the palette but I like it.

Best colors - Sin, Toasted, Smog.
Worse colors - Naked, Sidecar, Buck.

Overall, it's a very very good palette and very versatile.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2011 12:07:00 PM More reviews by elliechoo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this palette! I use it every day, if I want to create a soft natural look, I can, and if I want to create a dramatic look i can. The palette is slim so it's perfect for storing and travelling. The only thing that I can think of that I don't like is the fact that the packaging picks up dust and fallout from shadows, but I would definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2011 6:58:00 AM More reviews by missaah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Its a beautiful palette, I agree with that. However, I like it, I don't love it like every other girl out there. It has many colours but I don't think it has everything for a nude look. Maybe I'm not applying the right colours, but more often than not, I will use one or two of the colours in this palette and grab 2 or 3 from another palette. The quality is good except sidecar has so much glitter fallout! I would put a tiny amount on on the centre of my lid and by the time I finished my foundation, the glitter would be all over my eyes. I'm glad I bought it but it really wasn't worth the hype. The case is super gorgeous though, aside from the sticker at the back. I liked the mini original primer potion and the brush that was given was okay, however, a 24/7 liner and maybe two small tiny eyeshadow brushes that is normally found in other palettes would've been a better option, especially since this is hailed as an all in one. The brush is fine, except its pretty much useless. It raised the price and value of the palette but I don't really know what to do with it. it's too thin and doesn't pick up enough eyeshadow to use on the lid, its too long for the crease and too big for under the brow. I use it for swatching mostly, however, i have to do 2-3 swipes to get the same amount of colour as an ELF eyeshadow brush that cost me $3.
I would purchase this again, but not for a long time. Hopefully, UD might reconsider and put the 24/7 liner in this palette again. But most likely, I'll just pick up the Naked palette 2 instead of repurchasing this because it will last me ages as it isn't my most reached for.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2011 11:45:00 PM More reviews by LLBsb4ever

This is a great basic palette. Neutrals are a must in any girl's stash - even for those of us who love bright colors! This is one of my favorites to travel with because it is slim and compact, unlike a lot of the other more recent UD palettes. Also because when I'm traveling, I'm either focused on fun and usually not my makeup, or it's for work and I'd rather play it safe with neutrals. I was fortunate enough to get the original version with the double-ended eyeliner - which is great. The colors obviously work amazingly with the whole palette. While the liner doesn't stay on my waterline for more than 20 minutes, it's soft, blends well, but stays in place on my upper or lower lash line. And of course it's an amazing value!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2011 11:32:00 PM More reviews by brightcolorsforever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't know... I want to preface this by saying I am not an expert in makeup. I think this pallete is okay. I didn't even know about this palette until an employee at Sephora recommended it for me. I only discovered the excitement for this product in the beauty community after I searched for some naked pallete tutorials on youtube. The colors are very pretty but I mostly wear glasses and i think the look is too nuetral with my frames. I will give it another rating when I start wearing my contacts but as a glasses wearer, its blah.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by NicoleNightly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have mixed feelings about this palette in that I think the palette itself is so pretty, the colors look so vibrant. Like all Urban Decay shadows, it's a palette that I'd be proud to display on my vanity but that's where the love affair ends.

First off, I'm 'tan', MAC NC42/44 depending on the season and some of the shadows did not show up true to color on my lids =( I also wasn't going to pack on the shadow to make it show either as I hate for my lids to feel heavy... and that is my other problem, the 'shimmery/glittery' shadows felt rather heavy on my lids and I simply felt gross and had to wash it off.

I'm so sad about this really, I so wanted this to be my 'it' palette as I only wear natural colors. Oh well

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2011 8:13:00 PM More reviews by ohscrewthename

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

COLORS: This palette contains quite a variety of basic colors, but re-vamped. It takes the dark browns, the black, the gray, the light browns and transforms them into richer colors. Some are beautifully shimmery(Half-Baked, Smog, Sin, Toasted), but I have not seen any fallout. Two are matte (Naked, Buck), and blend in so naturally, yet retain their full pigment. A few are a mix of slight shimmer and a bit of glitter fleck (Sidecar, Gunmetal, Creep), but they aren't extremely glittery at all, no fallout. And then you have the barely-there shimmer colors ( Virgin, Hustle), that are quite beautiful and easily blend-able.

PAYOFF: What I like about all of these shades is the fact that they all have great color payoff. Meaning, the color you see in the container is what goes onto your lid-not at all sheer. The shadows are soft and rich to the touch, and they are all very lush pigments, very opaque. They glide on extremely easily, and aren't at all hard to blend, even the black.

SIZE: Each shadow slot is more than half the length of a pinky, and they've lasted me quite a while. I've owned this palette for a few months, using it almost daily, and I've yet to see the bottom.

BONUS Primer: They give you a mini Primer Potion to go with it now, instead of the old duo-ended eyeliner in the old palette sales. The primer is as amazing as ever; goes on like a soft creme and blends into your natural lid shade, keeping these lovely colors rich in color and crease free. Urban Decay has now switched the main formula to tubes, but they give you this mini in the form of the old bottle shape, which not all like, as the wand is useless, and after a while, doesn't dispense enough product even with half a tube of product left.

BONUS Brush: Instead of the duo-ended pencil, which I think they should have kept, they replace the slot below the colors with a shadow brush. It is 5 1/2 inches in length, and is thin in width. The handle of the brush is a dark brown/silvery metal that is very pretty, and the actual brush section of it is about the length of a pointer nail. It is brown at the bottom, white at the top, and applies on the eyes with the colors pretty well. It's not a cheapy brush, and does what it was created for, but I prefer to use my fingers. It doesn't blend the colors in extremely well, but it is good for the application.

PACKAGING: The palette measures almost 8 inches long, and is almost 3 inches in length. The surface of the palette is quite soft, almost like a sleek fabric, and has the gold for the NAKED and Urban Decay words. The gold has a habit to chip a bit in a few places over time, and if you have pets, make sure they don't rub on this palette, or hair will cling to it. lol