Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 3/13/2008 10:06:00 PM

Too heavy, made me break out like crazy!

on 3/13/2008 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this product. I have oily skin, and many moisturizers are too heavy for my face. Hope in a Jar helps me to fight the teensy lines that are appearing, as well as smooth out my large pores. The lavender scent is actually appealing to me.

I am also planning on trying When Hope is Not Enough because of the SPF.

on 3/13/2008 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This has a VERY plasticy smell to it. Blech. It left my skin very oily and did not sink into the skin at all. I felt like a had a film on my skin all day.

on 3/8/2008 11:58:00 PM

I do not have especially sensitive skin, but this product made me break out in hives. It took me over a week to recover. Definitely test it out before you purchase it.

on 3/7/2008 4:08:00 AM

I quite like HIAJ, I got it along with a bunch of other Philosophy products in the 'miracle worker' kit a few months ago, and it's time for a review! I don't love it, but it doesn't break me out and doesn't make my skin red when I apply it, which for me is very rare in a moisturiser - most formulations make me break out and irritate my sensitive skin. The scent does take a bit of getting used to, at first it's kind of like lavender scented sour milk.

Although it's not love, I can see myself repurchasing because I haven't found anything better and i'm not keen on freaking my skin out any more! I use this during the day, after cleansing and before my sunscreen and primer. My one complaint is that there is no SPF!! PLEASE Philosophy make an SPF version!

After seeing Philosophy in Sephora and on QVC more times than I can count, I decided to try them when I noticed that I needed a heavier moisturizer. I was previously using Clinique's Dreamatically Different Moisturizer, but it did not hydrate my skin enough for use with the mineral powder makeup (Bare Escentuals) that I use.

This moisturizer definitely does what it says it will. The main problem with it is that it is so expensive I am very afraid of using too much or wasting some. On the flip side of that, a little bit definitely goes a long way. The product is instantly sucked into your skin and you can see your skin becoming luminous before your eyes. Another issue is that it has an odd odor. It does bother me a bit to use something with such a strong odor of perfumes on my face. I know it bothers some more than others. I can say that I've just gotten used to it.

Is this the best moisturizer ever?.. I don't know that, but I do like it right now. When my jar is empty I will probably go get more.

on 2/29/2008 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Love love this product!! Sinks right in!! I just wish it was in a tube, I hate pots you have to stick your fingers in. I am acne prone nd have found this to be better than anything!! This is one of the things that would be on the list if I could only take 3 things with me on a deserted island.

on 2/28/2008 1:35:00 PM

I used this when I was in my early 20's and really liked it. Now I need something that does a little bit more for fine lines, etc. A good product to moisturize lightly and sit under makeup.

on 2/27/2008 7:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a nice,hydrating moisturizer that keeps my dry skin happy throughout the day.It def does have a herbal type smell that isn't great...it's also a bit expensive for what it is.I can't say i'm getting a glowy look as some other reviews have mentioned but it is very hydrating,which is important to me.It's a good mid-priced product but if you are watching your pennies cetaphil would probably do a very similar job...I would probably buy it again next time i'm near a sephora but no way would I pay australian prices!
EDIT:this has been making my skin break out like crazy....never buying it again!

on 2/26/2008 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this moisturizer a few weeks ago and have been using it every day since. I really like it! I have pretty oily skin and HIAJ is so light, that it absorbs right in, no problem, and I only need a little bit to cover my face and neck. It doesn't leave a greasy or oily feel either, which is something I have had a lot of issues with other products. I did notice that it actually helps get rid of small zits on my face...a very nice bonus!

On the downside, it doesn't have spf and does have an odd (not bad) scent, which is actually growing on me. I'll have to see how it works in the summer when it is super hot and humid.

Overall, this is my favorite moisturizer that I've tried to date and is reasonably priced. Definitely going to buy it again.

Popular Moisturizers