Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a light complexion with olive undertones. I would call myself neutral as far as skin tone goes and 120 suits me well. This product comes in a large range of colors, so most people should be able to find a match.

Application: I gave this product a 1 month test run. It goes on smoothly and evenly. It's easy to work with and blend. The pump bottle is a big bonus. Upon application it gives my skin a very nice, even tone. I would call the immediate finish a satin/matte. I set it with powder and it looks very nice. It has good coverage without looking fake.

Wear: This is where I was completely dissatisfied. After about 2 hours, I looked really shiny. Granted, I have oily skin, but most other foundations don't start looking shiny on me until about 4 hours after application. It didn't even look like a "good" shiny (i.e., dewy), but absolutely greasy. It also started to migrate and slip on my face. I always set with powder and blot as needed, but this didn't help at all. I normally blot every 3-4 hours, but I could lift oil off my face every 30 minutes to an hour with this particular foundation. Gross.

Price: Extremely expensive for what it does for me. I would not purchase again, but this may be a great product for those with drier skin and smaller pores.

Edit: I decided to give this another try and realized this isn't going to work for me. This turns me into a grease ball even though I've been on a high dose of spironolactone for several months to control sebum and acne. Due to the meds, I would consider my skin "normal/dry" on typical days, but wearing this foundation makes me slicker than Crisco.

on 11/12/2011 4:44:00 PM

OMG! I know this is known to be a very good foundation, but I didn't know it would be THIS good! There are a couple of bad aspects of this foundation, such as the price. In Sephora in the US, it retails for about $40. I know compared to some higher-end brand foundations it's on the cheaper side, but you still have to pay $40. Also, this foundation doesn't really build up to full coverage without getting cakey so if you have severe acne/blemishes, you will need concealer.

Actually other than those few things, this foundation is pretty amazing, partially because it's medium-light coverage. I have combo/oily skin and sometimes finding a foundation that isn't too oily or too matte for me can be a bit challenging. So I end up getting matte foundations for the most part, since I do get oily throughout the day. This foundation is great because it's matte, with a tiny bit of dewiness in it and I can powder my face to reduce the shine if need to. The Make Up For Ever foundation also has a great range of shades, so it's not very difficult to find the shade you need, which in my case I was able to get my perfect shade 128. The best part of this foundation is that it is very very long lasting. I tend to be out of the house for 12 hours and I can see the foundation on my makeup wipe, which I think is pretty amazing! And you only need about a pump and a half!

Overall, I think this is a great foundation. Although if you seek full coverage, you might want to try a different foundation. I sometimes this foundation is best for those who have semi-clear skin already because putting too many layers of this foundation can look cakey. Even though this foundation is pricey, I will buy this again because I just love the finish and the wear time on this!

Sorry this was such a long review! I just love the foundation THAT much. Hopefully this was helpful.

on 11/12/2011 2:05:00 PM

My Sephora girl helped me pick this out. I really like the color selection. It's typically hard to find the exact shade for my darker skin but Make Up For Ever really has a good selection for just about anyone. Now, not going to lie, this is quite a pricy bottle. For about $42 you're getting a foundation with a pump that holds about 1 oz of product.

Soo, about the product. This is great for those with oily/combination skin. It leaves a semi-matte finish while still looking fresh and healthy. The foundation was originally created for photoshoot environments so that pictures would look flawless. Needless to say, it definitely gives me a great look to my skin. I think it's called the "soft focus HD". Since I've been wearing this, I've received many compliments about my skin. I think this is pretty comparable to the drugstore Revlon Colorstay foundation. That's about $10, much cheaper than the MF foundation. Butttt, I really like the soft focus effect this foundation gives me. This is something I haven't seen a drugstore foundation accomplish.

Overall, I think this is a pretty great investment. For a hefty price, you've got great skin. Because it's so expensive, I've started using this product only for special occasions or occasions where I know I'll be taking lots of pictures. I'd recommend a similar cheaper foundation for everyday wear though.

on 11/12/2011 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This product was recommended to me by my local Sephora sa. I love it that this line of product offers a wide range of shade color and finally found a shade that blends in nicely when applied onto my skin and I love it that it comes with a pump for easier measurement. I use Too Faced Poreless Primer and philosophy moisturizer underneath the foundation. It make my skin glowing when taking pictures, but I feel that this foundation doesn't last long on my oily skin. I top this off with MUFE Matte Foundation Powder because MAC Prep and Prime powder isn't helping. I read that this foundation is build-able to achieve full coverage but with the high price, I expect something more lasting than just a few hours after application. I'm not a big fan of the dewy look and prefer something more matte than this. I haven't given up on MUFE products yet, will try the Mat Velvet instead.

on 11/11/2011 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This USED to be my HG! Until I tried Revlon Photoready! WOW is all I can say. This was my drugstore foundation purchase in over 10 years. I grew up with Chanel and over the past cpl years have been wearing MUFE HD and MAC studiofix. I still love mufe foundation bc of the moisture it gives my skin and the overall look (esp in pictures) but it has some stiff competition!

Compared to MUFE: This has better coverage and doesnt feel "wet" like mufe does. I dont even need a concealor or to set with powder! & I have redness that I need to cover! It also lasts longer!

Compared to MAC studio fix: The coverage is similar but it doesnt feel as heavy! Also it doesnt smell bad like MAC does!

For reference:
MUFE 127
MAC NC25-30
BE-Medium Beige
Photoready- 004 Nude and 008. 004 Is good for now bc I am a little light but I will add in 008 as I get tanner. 006 IS darker than 008

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

LOOOOOVE THIS. I PUMP 2 PUMPS of face and body to give me all day coverage but since its too light i pump 1 pump of HD and gives me perfect skin all day i love love love them and they dont run out quickly

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

This foundation is AMAZING, now I'm a tinted moisturizer girl so every foundation out there freaks me out because they're so thick now this foundation is light! I won't say that you won't feel it on your skin because you will ( i sheer it out with a moisturizer) The coverage is full which is why I sheer it out! it comes in tones of shades, and for the first time in my life i found something that MATCHES me I'm Turkish so I have that olivey tan that's IMPOSSIBLE to match I wear 127 and it's PERFECT. It comes with a pump as well, and it's also not that expensive because you only need the tiniest amount of it (1/2 a pump for me)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

OMG -- where has this foundation been all of my life!?! After trying almost every department store foundation (Chanel, Bobbi Brown, Giorgio Armani, MAC, NARS, Laura Mercier, Estee Lauder, Clarins, Bare Escentuals and Lancome) -- I have finally found my HG. Most of the listed brands with the exception of Giorgio Armani, Laura Mercier, EL and Chanel broke me out horribly. I have been searching for a foundation that matches my complexion (seems easy enough --- NOT ONE BIT FOR my MAC NC43/olive undertone complexion) provides coverage, is long lasting, allows my skin to look like skin, photographs well and doesn’t break me out (I have highly sensitive, cystic acne that is calming down but horrible scarring)! This meets and exceeds everything I've ever hoped for in a foundation. This was recommended to me by a Sephora employee when I told her that I liked Giorgio Armani but hated mixing two colors and never getting quite the right color. She knew that I would enjoy a foundation with a little more "slip" to it. Initially, I was matched to #153 and it was a bit too light but I was willing to put up with it. I went back last week and matched myself to #173 and perfecto! I am so happy and this looks so amazing on. I feel confident and like I can face the world. Run, do not walk to the nearest location for this foundation ladies. :)
UPDATE 4/27/12: This foundation is very nice but definitely contributed to my breakouts. I've since stopped using it and my skin has cleared up dramatically.

on 11/7/2011 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This foundation really does make a difference in photos. I prefer it over the Revlon photoready foundation because it doesnt have shimmer like the Revlon does. It has nice coverage w/o looking like you're wearing anything. It also doesn't break me out like most foundations do. I have olive skin tone and use 127 in winter and 128 in summer.

on 11/7/2011 9:39:00 PM

I bought this foundation in the fairest tone with yellow undertones. I was extremely excited to try this product because of the rave reviews on sephora and elsewhere on the web. I had seen makeup tutorials of celebrities like Kim Kardashian using it and apparently it looks flawless in photos which is a plus. So I bought it, went right home and tried it, but honestly was a little bummed. It seemed to look a lot like any other foundations i've used in the past that were much less expensive. It blended nicely but I'm unsure if it was because of the makeup or my new MAC blending sponge. Regardless, over time the product has grown on me and I do see that it's fairly good quality but it definitely doesn't last as long as its advertised to. After long shifts at work running around, when I got home, a lot of the concealer has come off. Works for looking polished, but pricey.