Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 3/17/2008 8:00:00 PM

I was regretfully sucked into the hype of this product. This stuff just sat on my skin when applied. I had to really rub it in for the white to disappear, then it just left my face a greasy mess. I could have saved my money and smeared my face with vaseline.

on 3/17/2008 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This product was terrible! First it smelt like medicine, it made me completely break out... DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE ACNE PRONE SKIN! I use evian's oxygenating moisturizer, that's def the best moisturizer i've ever used, its oil free, doesn't clog ur pores and doesn't make ur face greasy at all... i hate philosophy for making me break out as bad as it did!! :(

on 3/16/2008 8:46:00 AM

Why would you design a package where you can't pump it, so all you do is continue to infect it with bacteria? And when I asked our Philosophy trainer(that visited Sephora) what the urea was at the very end of the ingredients...she stared blankly. So then I asked well is it human or animal? She said she call her rep and find out for me......WTH????!!!!!!!!

on 3/14/2008 8:12:00 PM

The ingredient list reads like chemical warfare. What hope is there in a jar full of silicones and fillers? The so-called 2-3 active ingredients are pushed to the very far back, the rest is preservatives. It is no myth why people break out like mad or get blotchy skin...

water, lauryl lactate, behenic acid, behenoxy dimethicone, glyceryl stearate se, glycerin, behenyl alcohol, cyclomethicone, pentaerythrityl tetracaprylate/tetracaprate, tocopheryl acetate, benzyl alcohol, retinyl palmitate, stearic acid, panthenol, betaglucan, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, xanthan gum, triethanolamine, propylene glycol, methylparaben, propylparaben, diazolidinyl urea

on 3/13/2008 10:06:00 PM

Too heavy, made me break out like crazy!

on 3/13/2008 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this product. I have oily skin, and many moisturizers are too heavy for my face. Hope in a Jar helps me to fight the teensy lines that are appearing, as well as smooth out my large pores. The lavender scent is actually appealing to me.

I am also planning on trying When Hope is Not Enough because of the SPF.

on 3/13/2008 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This has a VERY plasticy smell to it. Blech. It left my skin very oily and did not sink into the skin at all. I felt like a had a film on my skin all day.

on 3/8/2008 11:58:00 PM

I do not have especially sensitive skin, but this product made me break out in hives. It took me over a week to recover. Definitely test it out before you purchase it.

on 3/7/2008 4:08:00 AM

I quite like HIAJ, I got it along with a bunch of other Philosophy products in the 'miracle worker' kit a few months ago, and it's time for a review! I don't love it, but it doesn't break me out and doesn't make my skin red when I apply it, which for me is very rare in a moisturiser - most formulations make me break out and irritate my sensitive skin. The scent does take a bit of getting used to, at first it's kind of like lavender scented sour milk.

Although it's not love, I can see myself repurchasing because I haven't found anything better and i'm not keen on freaking my skin out any more! I use this during the day, after cleansing and before my sunscreen and primer. My one complaint is that there is no SPF!! PLEASE Philosophy make an SPF version!

After seeing Philosophy in Sephora and on QVC more times than I can count, I decided to try them when I noticed that I needed a heavier moisturizer. I was previously using Clinique's Dreamatically Different Moisturizer, but it did not hydrate my skin enough for use with the mineral powder makeup (Bare Escentuals) that I use.

This moisturizer definitely does what it says it will. The main problem with it is that it is so expensive I am very afraid of using too much or wasting some. On the flip side of that, a little bit definitely goes a long way. The product is instantly sucked into your skin and you can see your skin becoming luminous before your eyes. Another issue is that it has an odd odor. It does bother me a bit to use something with such a strong odor of perfumes on my face. I know it bothers some more than others. I can say that I've just gotten used to it.

Is this the best moisturizer ever?.. I don't know that, but I do like it right now. When my jar is empty I will probably go get more.