August 22, 2014 | 1107 users online

Powders - Smashbox - Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2011 3:45:00 AM More reviews by Cecee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I know people swear by this powder, but it just looks terrible on me. I put it on a client today, and it looked beautiful on her. I'm not sure why it looks so bad on me; it may just be the color. There are only 4 colors available and they are all pretty dark. I used light on myself and it looked almost yellow or sallow on me. It could be the mixture with my foundation that I use as well (UD cream to powder) but I will not change foundations. It also felt drying which is a bummer since it is marketed as hydrating. I'd say that it is too cakey to use simply as a powder over foundation (except when used with the smashbox foundation, I suppose), but not quite enough coverage for me to simply use as a foundation. And I think that is saying a lot! I have pretty clear skin, only a redness problem. For this price, I will not be buying this powder. The packaging is very nice and handy, but I am not a fan.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2011 11:00:00 AM More reviews by VannaPatel

Great product...finally something that is oil-free and talc-free which doesnt make me break out. Feels refreshing when put on and the staying power is fab! However, be warned during those hot sunny days...I tend to have to start blotting my face and keep having to touch up. It does the trick though when the claim the product gives a glow and eveness to the skin over time. It's made my skin lovely over time...have been using for 1 /12 years now. Just wish the packaging was a little less bulky. But its the product that counts!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2011 11:03:00 AM More reviews by tinavars

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This powder works fine, and the shifting top allows for even powder distribution. This is great for traveling. I would not recommend it for people with a tendency to breakout with cystic acne...which used to be a problem for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/1/2011 4:51:00 PM More reviews by ninac

Received a sample free after purchase from Sephora. It CLOGGED my pores like crazy. I've been experimenting w/ lots of different foundations the past year and my skin's reaction to this was probably the worst ever. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin, but have no problems with silicones or mica. Not sure which of the gazillion ingredients my skin is reacting to.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2011 2:16:00 PM More reviews by MissHavisham

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

*ETA* It's been off my face for several hours and the itching and burning is still going on. Great. Now my face is going to fall off. Thanks Smashbox! Jerks.

I received a sample of this from Sephora with my last purchase. It sucks. I first used it as a finishing powder over my foundation yesterday since I've had absolutely no success with powder foundations in the past. I figured it could possibly be good for my dry skin since Smashbox claims that it is hydrating, contains amino acids and other complete BS.

First, a little background info. For foundation, I wear MUFE Face & Body in #38. I am pretty pink & very, very pale. F&B is the best foundation I have ever used for my extremely dry, sensitive and break-out prone skin. I get compliments on my "skin" from clients regularly and they cannot believe I have foundation on. I've been searching for a foundation since I was 16 years old and at 26, I finally found F&B. It covers my broken capillaries, uneven tone & red patches yet doesn't settle into my dry, flaky areas & make them visible. I generally use Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Correcting Powder because it doesn't destroy the dewey finish of F&B, make me ghostly, or appear cakey. I used to use MUFE HD Microfinish Powder but I found it did give me a ghostly cast & changed the texture of my foundation too much by making it look dry. But I digress.

I *lightly* applied the Halo powder in Fair over my foundation. It was loose in the sample jar, rather than the "grinder" packaging of the full size. The color was all wrong...it almost made me too orange & too pink at the same time. It made my foundation look like a mask. It was dull, chalky ughhhh. Just awful. So figured since I was using it incorrectly as setting powder that I should try it again as foundation.

So this morning, after applying my usual daily face cream (Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream) and my primer (MUFE HD Microperfecting Primer) swept the Halo over my face w/ an ELF flat top powder brush. That brush is the balls for applying everything from liquid foundation, powder, blush, cream blush etc. I have multiple. Its an extremely inexpensive alternative to my beloved Rock & Republic flat top 101 Powder Brush (which I love so much that I have stopped using it daily in hopes that it will last forever) Anyhoot, the unbelievable makeup fail that occurred then cannot be due to the brush. Halo is just crap. Foundation? Impossible. It covers nothing. It made my face feel like it was shriveling up because it was so drying. Very itchy too.

So being the sucker for punishment that I am, I washed it off, remoistured, applied Lancome La Base Pro (which is like the Crisco of primers...its basically made from all the grease blotted off pizza with napkins in the history of time) switched to a kabuki brush, and tried the Halo again. Even over the super slick Lancome primer, it still looked like utter ass. Still itchy. My face feel horribly tight & dry like sand.

I should mention that I loaaaathe Bare Minerals foundation and if I was on a bridge over a pit of lava and was forced to choose between the two or jump to my death, I'd choose the Bare Minerals over Halo. I give up. I have never reviewed anything before but this was such garbage I had to spread the word. *chucks Halo Hydrating Perfecting powder in the trash*

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2011 9:36:00 AM More reviews by knitsnbytes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was on sale with a "TSV" at QVC which made for a better price than the retail, nearly $60. I like many SB products, so that was a good deal.

The shave-powder package is a real boon. I can travel with this. No loose powder to escape. You only shave what you need per application.

Color selection is minimal, but I work well with the medium. It goes on smoothly, no allergy as I have to BE, and it really does work as a foundation; so many powders claim to do that but this one does.

Do not get the "wrinkle" thing; it's a powder. It's a bit drying. I use a moisturizer and even a tinted moisturizer underneath, plus concealer. I will rebuy as it is the only powder foundation I like, and I like it in summer when regular foundation gets slick on my sweaty face.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2011 11:58:00 AM More reviews by LookingGood85

I adore this product!!!. I use it over my Double Wear Light for a night out and I always get compliments on my skin!!! I find it doesnt cake, it doesnt settle into lines, it looks nice and natural!! I have scored it 4 lippies and not 5 because of the price. The price is, imo, OTT. 45 is just too much for me to be able to buy this as and when I need it. im sure if it wasnt so expensive they would get a LOT more addicts!!! x

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2011 5:07:00 AM More reviews by antoniaaddict

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ive been using this product for over a yr now.
I use it over a foundation or tinted base and concealer.
Its not a perfect foundation coverage yet over a light concealer it is, creates a better coverage when blended in over a light base.
My skin looks better once ive used it.
It does not work for me if used alone.
Its all I use now..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2011 11:43:00 AM More reviews by maliastyle

I feel like I've been so cosmetically lucky lately; so many of my finds have worked out. Halo, I was particularly concerned about - I had already walked out of the store, with this $70 (CAD) powder in hand, and although my feet were walking toward my car, every other part of me wanted to go back and return it.

Gold? 48 minerals? 11 amino acids? I'm giving it to Smashbox for such great marketing material - because, at least on me, it worked. The idea of sprinkling gold on my face was obviously enough to get me to give it a try.

But the wondrous thing about this is that I. Really. Do. Love. It. I've got combination/oily skin, and yet I'm weird about powder - I don't want to look dewy, and I don't want to look matte. I want to look like I'm not wearing anything. I want to replicate the kind of plump, healthy, glowing skin my kids have.

Enter Halo. The promise of evening out the complexion and sealing in the moisture is certainly kept. This reminds me a little of an old Prescriptives product (Magic powder, I believe it was) that lent a cooling feel when applied to the skin. I don't use the accompanying brush, which is far too small (and I believe was added for traveling purposes, but I'm certainly not traveling with Halo's big, cumbersome packaging). Rather, I use a large fluffy brush, and I'm able to cover large amounts of skin using a small amount of product.

I'm particularly in love with this revolving, shaving system concept. I use very little of this so I don't even turn it fully - just a smidge, and I get enough loose powder to cover my whole face. It doesn't have enough pigment to provide full coverage, but perhaps it can be layered on for medium coverage.

In ten minutes, Halo is supposed to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. I don't have any so I can't report on that. In six weeks, skin is visibly more youthful, by up to 66%. Big claims, and none that I can support 100%, but I can say that my skin looks luminous and healthy - that's enough for me.

Aside from the price, what are the cons? Well, the color selection, in a word, sucks. Only four shades are available, and they're not very forgiving. Fair is quite pink, and can look ashy even on the lightest of skintones. Medium and Dark have a decidedly orange cast. Light, thank goodness, works for my golden NC25 skin because it's very yellow. If only Smashbox could expand its shade selection.

Bottom line, I love, love, love this.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by ontheglam

I have been in pursuit for a good mineral foundation powder for a couple years now. This is by-far the most expensive one I've purchased, but I read very good reviews and decided to give it a try.
I don't see what all the fuss is about. One of the things that drew me to it was the promise of a dewy finish. I don't get that, it seems pretty matte to me. The coverage is fine, pretty sheer, but that's what I was going for. The texture is pretty good, but don't use the brush that comes with it- it's garbage. You need to use something fluffier. The packaging is nice- I like the idea of grinding just what you need. It's cleaner and more economical. However, this isn't a new concept to me, because I had been using Clinique's Superbalanced powder for years before I tried this. The one thing that has left me extremely disappointed, though, is the color selection. They don't offer enough shades of this, and the labels they put on it are deceptive. I ordered this in Light because I am fair-skinned, and this is way too dark. It is what I would normally consider a Medium shade. Too dark for me, so I have to mix it with a translucent powder so I don't look orange.
In my experience with this product, it is not worth the price. I haven't decided if I'm going to give this another shot with the FAIR shade (the lightest one) or if I'm going to keep searching for something better and more affordable.
It is not a bad powder at all, so if you do try it, just make sure you keep in mind that you'll need to purchase a shade lighter than you usually would!!