Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.6

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

$60? Really?

This powder is absolutely horrendous. I finally dished out the money for this and it was really bad! It didn't cover ANYTHING. Bad finish.

NEVER AGAIN.

on 9/2/2011 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

After sampling this several times at Sephora I finally sucked it up and shelled out the outrageous $59 for this powder. I would have given it a 5 if the cost wasn't so ridiculous. I've used a ton of different products and had been using Studio Gear TM but the formula seems to have changed this past year and I had to move on once they decided to add silicones to the ingredients in lieu of the squalane that worked so well for me. This powder + concealer though is fantastic over a light moisturizer. It does contain dimethicone for those of you like myself that are cone sensitive. However, it's a bit lower down on the list than many other products I've used that have broken me out and I've had no issues so far. Normally if I'm going to react to silicone in a product it's going to be within the first 24 -48 hours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one doesn't sneak up on me because I really love it. The coverage and shade are perfect but the colors are limited and run slightly dark. I normally wear a medium and while that shade blended in ok, I was told that Medium oxidizes and darkens as the day goes on and was advised to go with the light/medium shade. That color works perfect, goes on fast and evenly with a kabuki brush (not the one provided), gives the perfect amount of coverage for me over concealer and actually feels good on. I've used a lot of products that claim to give a "healthy glow" that either give a gross shine on my combo skin or a ridiculous glitter effect that no one over 30 should ever be running around in. This powder really does seem to give my skin a healthy glow without the shine or glitter and doesn't look like crap under my eyes over concealer. I don't have much in the way of wrinkles but I swear some mineral powders create them. It also doesn't over dry my skin and cause my t-zone crank up the oil production like some powders I've used. It balances everything out just right. No surprise that the brush they give you is crap but I do keep it in my bag for quick touch ups and it's ok for under your eyes. I do wish this came in a smaller size like the samples on display. That would be easier to carry around for touch ups and a lot easier on the wallet. The compact does take up a lot of space but I do love having the benefit of a pressed powder compact and loose powder all in one package with no mess.

on 9/1/2011 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my HG powder. I have very dry skin, and all powders I've tried look cakey, powdery and unnatural on me. I always had to spray Fix+ on my face just to take down some of the powderyness. I don't have to use Fix+ anymore with Halo. It looks incredibly natural, like I'm not even wearing a powder. It sets my foundation and concealer like a champ too. It's a fantastic powder for the under-eye area. I usually get some settling into fine lines with my concealer, but if I dust Halo over it with a small brush, it's much less noticeable. The powder has this interesting quality about it that sort of blurs imperfections. I've heard some say it's 'shimmery' but I haven't experienced that, I just feel like my skin glows when I wear this. And I don't mean 'glow' in the glittery, shimmery way. Just naturally glowing.

It's *crazy* expensive, and I do think the packaging wastes some product, but I simply refuse to use any other powder after using this. Some things are worth the money. If you are dry skinned or have had problems with setting powders in the past, I highly recommend Halo.

on 8/8/2011 11:50:00 AM

So I've just used this for a week now but I really love the look. I use a tinted moisurizer under it but the powder is very sheer and silky. It's also buildable. This product is super pricey in my opinion so I took off a star. Also, I really wish they had an option for a travel size as I do travel a lot and the smaller the better for me. The compact is quite big. I bought light (it looked a tad light for me in the store but the Mediuim was too dark) NOW they have a light/medium so I may try that but the light did blend well so I may just stay with that.

on 8/8/2011 3:45:00 AM

I know people swear by this powder, but it just looks terrible on me. I put it on a client today, and it looked beautiful on her. I'm not sure why it looks so bad on me; it may just be the color. There are only 4 colors available and they are all pretty dark. I used light on myself and it looked almost yellow or sallow on me. It could be the mixture with my foundation that I use as well (UD cream to powder) but I will not change foundations. It also felt drying which is a bummer since it is marketed as hydrating. I'd say that it is too cakey to use simply as a powder over foundation (except when used with the smashbox foundation, I suppose), but not quite enough coverage for me to simply use as a foundation. And I think that is saying a lot! I have pretty clear skin, only a redness problem. For this price, I will not be buying this powder. The packaging is very nice and handy, but I am not a fan.

on 8/7/2011 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Great product...finally something that is oil-free and talc-free which doesnt make me break out. Feels refreshing when put on and the staying power is fab! However, be warned during those hot sunny days...I tend to have to start blotting my face and keep having to touch up. It does the trick though when the claim the product gives a glow and eveness to the skin over time. It's made my skin lovely over time...have been using for 1 /12 years now. Just wish the packaging was a little less bulky. But its the product that counts!

on 8/5/2011 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This powder works fine, and the shifting top allows for even powder distribution. This is great for traveling. I would not recommend it for people with a tendency to breakout with cystic acne...which used to be a problem for me.

on 8/1/2011 4:51:00 PM

Received a sample free after purchase from Sephora. It CLOGGED my pores like crazy. I've been experimenting w/ lots of different foundations the past year and my skin's reaction to this was probably the worst ever. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin, but have no problems with silicones or mica. Not sure which of the gazillion ingredients my skin is reacting to.

*ETA* It's been off my face for several hours and the itching and burning is still going on. Great. Now my face is going to fall off. Thanks Smashbox! Jerks.

I received a sample of this from Sephora with my last purchase. It sucks. I first used it as a finishing powder over my foundation yesterday since I've had absolutely no success with powder foundations in the past. I figured it could possibly be good for my dry skin since Smashbox claims that it is hydrating, contains amino acids and other complete BS.

First, a little background info. For foundation, I wear MUFE Face & Body in #38. I am pretty pink & very, very pale. F&B is the best foundation I have ever used for my extremely dry, sensitive and break-out prone skin. I get compliments on my "skin" from clients regularly and they cannot believe I have foundation on. I've been searching for a foundation since I was 16 years old and at 26, I finally found F&B. It covers my broken capillaries, uneven tone & red patches yet doesn't settle into my dry, flaky areas & make them visible. I generally use Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Correcting Powder because it doesn't destroy the dewey finish of F&B, make me ghostly, or appear cakey. I used to use MUFE HD Microfinish Powder but I found it did give me a ghostly cast & changed the texture of my foundation too much by making it look dry. But I digress.

I *lightly* applied the Halo powder in Fair over my foundation. It was loose in the sample jar, rather than the "grinder" packaging of the full size. The color was all wrong...it almost made me too orange & too pink at the same time. It made my foundation look like a mask. It was dull, chalky ughhhh. Just awful. So figured since I was using it incorrectly as setting powder that I should try it again as foundation.

So this morning, after applying my usual daily face cream (Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream) and my primer (MUFE HD Microperfecting Primer) swept the Halo over my face w/ an ELF flat top powder brush. That brush is the balls for applying everything from liquid foundation, powder, blush, cream blush etc. I have multiple. Its an extremely inexpensive alternative to my beloved Rock & Republic flat top 101 Powder Brush (which I love so much that I have stopped using it daily in hopes that it will last forever) Anyhoot, the unbelievable makeup fail that occurred then cannot be due to the brush. Halo is just crap. Foundation? Impossible. It covers nothing. It made my face feel like it was shriveling up because it was so drying. Very itchy too.

So being the sucker for punishment that I am, I washed it off, remoistured, applied Lancome La Base Pro (which is like the Crisco of primers...its basically made from all the grease blotted off pizza with napkins in the history of time) switched to a kabuki brush, and tried the Halo again. Even over the super slick Lancome primer, it still looked like utter ass. Still itchy. My face feel horribly tight & dry like sand.

I should mention that I loaaaathe Bare Minerals foundation and if I was on a bridge over a pit of lava and was forced to choose between the two or jump to my death, I'd choose the Bare Minerals over Halo. I give up. I have never reviewed anything before but this was such garbage I had to spread the word. *chucks Halo Hydrating Perfecting powder in the trash*

on 6/4/2011 9:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was on sale with a "TSV" at QVC which made for a better price than the retail, nearly $60. I like many SB products, so that was a good deal.

The shave-powder package is a real boon. I can travel with this. No loose powder to escape. You only shave what you need per application.

Color selection is minimal, but I work well with the medium. It goes on smoothly, no allergy as I have to BE, and it really does work as a foundation; so many powders claim to do that but this one does.

Do not get the "wrinkle" thing; it's a powder. It's a bit drying. I use a moisturizer and even a tinted moisturizer underneath, plus concealer. I will rebuy as it is the only powder foundation I like, and I like it in summer when regular foundation gets slick on my sweaty face.

Top Rated Smashbox Products