July 29, 2014 | 1635 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Define A Lash Volume Mascara

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2010 7:58:00 AM More reviews by julia_s

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm so surprised at the low reviews of this product, this mascara is the geeky girl in movies who takes off her glasses and suddenly turns into a Hollywood bomb-shell. Define-a-Lash Volume was the first drugstore mascara I ever bought, Lancome Definicils and Estee Lauder Sumptuous Volume were my previous favorites and I can say with a squeaky-clean conscience that this mascara was better than either at less than half the price!
Formula - Lashes are extremely lengthened and to a lesser extent, volumized. Eat-your-overpriced-heart out Definicils!
Brush - I had already used LashBlast so the spiky brush didn't send me into nervous hysterics. The brush is smaller and more flexible than LashBlast, it's genius for creating beautifully defined, clean volume that will make your lash-comb clinically-depressed from neglect. I find if you push up with the brush at the root of your lashes and hold for a few seconds you also get quite a bit of lift if not curl.
Wear - Flakes are as rare as but I do get smudges after a few hours. In all fairness, I've never had a zero-smudge mascara and transfer is minimized by avoiding greasy products around the eye or priming/dusting the eye-area with powder.
Overall Effect - I love this mascara for creating lush, fluttery, but not dramatically intense lashes. For the day-time it's perfect with LashBlast on the outer lashes for doe-eyes that make Bambi's green with envy ; )

rated 2 of 5 on 3/24/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by alexandriacosta22

This was okay but was not that great

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2010 7:50:00 PM More reviews by s2casey

I have "hit pan" twice on this one!

Great product! No clumping, no odor, dries fast.

My eyelashes are fine and fair, but long. A couple of swipes of this and they are fabulous!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 4:45:00 PM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am so SHOCKED that the reviews are not a lot better!

I mean, this mascara is not the best out there. But... IT IS PRETTY GOOD!

I kind of have short and a thinner type style of lashes. But, not too thin or short... as they are fairly normal and are from an Irish and German descent. lol! But, they are very light brown and need many coats to be like how I like them to be....and that is a false, dark and very dramatic look! ;)

So, with all that said......Just try this....Put a layer above your top lashes first then do the regular application and about 2-3 coats on your regular side and bottom lashes. Then this stuff is pretty great, IMO..... and I do buy lots and lots of mascaras! And I am sorda addicted to mascaras lol!

Ok, here is how I came to try and love this mascara.

I am in my 30s and I was in search of another great cheap drugstore back up....( I already have 2 drugstore like HG's called Rimmel Define and Exaggerate in the "Red and Black" tube and Lash Blast...they are great for a cheap and fast dramatic look, which I love and crave).... when I cannot get a hold of my favorite mascaras.... MACs Zoom, DiorShow, Benefit Bad Gal, or Lancomes Hypnose. Those are like my HG's. YES, I HAVE A LOT OF HG's! lol!

So, I was there reading every product description that was in the store, lol.... When these two VERY HOT young ladies in their late teens or early twenties.... (Yes, ladies, I said HOT! Hey, when girls are hot.... why lie?! If you say pretty girls are ugly... then your being very insecure and we all know that your lying to yourself! Hey, I can appreciate beauty and know it when i see it. Hey, I even tell my hubby, "Honey,look at her isn't she pretty" lol! It may seem weird but, I do and we giggle)..... walked right up to this mascara and each one grabbed one of these and then just walked away!!!! Wow, it was that easy for them, uh!?

So, I was like OK, then this must rock and lets try this baby out!

Cuz , I'm telling ya....their lashes looked like in your face Popping lashes and not too spidery!

In the end, This is not the best out there. But, my hubby loves my big azz lashes with this stuff on and so do I! So....TRY IT....Its worth a shot... and its for a cheap price!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2010 1:16:00 PM More reviews by xkadiix

I'm on my second tube! I absolutely love this mascara! I've said the same about l'oreal voluminous and Maybelline's volume express but believe me I'm in love with this. I have pretty long lashes to start off so I don't need much length.. I must admit that it doesn't provide your lashes AMAZING VOLUME however, it still does. Also, it does an amazing job in defining your lashes; it doesn't clump whatsoever. I actually got this for one of my friends because she was always saying how much she loved my lashes. She loved it at first until the wand broke?! I don't know if this ever happened to someone else but it wasn't my case.

Overall, as someone else previously mentioned, this is a great mascara for daytime, it really complements your lashes, for me, it's definately a must have.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2010 12:01:00 AM More reviews by millerjc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got sucked in by marketing a bit on this...overall it was not bad, but not my staple mascara. I have pretty long lashes that curl pretty well, so I was just looking for volume, and this just did not fully deliver. I think if it was a curled brush application would have been better for me. Overall, if you are looking to try something new it's worth it if it's on sale, otherwise I probably would not reccomend it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2010 2:02:00 PM More reviews by Harls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a nice mascara, especially for the price. It does add volume, but not much length, so sometimes I combo it. As a standalone product, it doesn't flake off or clump up if your lashes are clean when you put it on. The packaging is really cute, too. I'd buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2010 2:48:00 AM More reviews by Jesskahh16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the best mascara ever! It seperates defines and vloumizes. I also use it with loreal carbon black voluminous mascara. Best combo ever! :] pick them both up!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2010 6:57:00 AM More reviews by LadyP21

Very good mascara considering the price. Can build the volume nicely without any clumping! Will buy again!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2010 2:53:00 AM More reviews by JordysBeautySpot

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not the best mascara. I like the way that the brush is shaped but the pigmentation is awful and the colour payoff sucks.
I do like the packaging though and it doesn't clump. I also found that it lengthened my lashes quite a bit but did not bring volume to them (which is what it is said to do).
I would purchase this product again for a neutral lengthening mascara.