July 29, 2014 | 2083 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2010 4:50:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've dyed my hair since I was about 20, and I've become a haircoloring expert :). After a lot of my former colors got discontinued, I now use this in the color 6.5 Venise. It is a beautiful reddish brown color, and it lasts and gives a really shiney result! The thing that bothers me is the smell, it is really strong and chemical, so only use this in a well ventilated room! Also it is a bit harsh, but as I have relatively thick healthy hair it does not dry my hair out that much, but I wouldn't recommend this to people with dry and brittle hair...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by pttraveller

My hair is a natural dirty blonde. I wanted to warm it up and make it a bit more golden so I chose L'oreal Preference Golden Blonde #37. I followed the instructions to a T and my hair is now a washed-out blondey-orange. Uggghhhhh. The only thing that can be said for this product is that it doesn't feel like it fried my hair - it just made it a horrible colour. Would not recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2010 8:47:00 PM More reviews by luckylisp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff remains the best at home dye available. The colors are reliable, available in a wide selection, and are pretty affordable. I'm currently using 5G Medium Golden Brown to match the five or so inches of new growth I have. My colorist covered up all my highlights with a similar shade several months back, but the color had faded and I was left with new growth on top and brassy blond ends. All I wanted was to cover the ends up, so I'd match. Done.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2010 7:04:00 PM More reviews by wnzdazchld

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh my, was this product not right for me! I've used dye before, but this one made my scalp feel like it was on fire! The smell of this product is SO overpowering! It made my eyes water and nose burn while using it & 24 hours later, the smell permeating my hair is giving me a headache. Another con is that it has left my hair feeling like straw! All that, plus I'm definitely not a fan of the color (Blonde 9). Definitely won't be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by bcbrosemer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used Excellence and Feria previously on my hair, but this was my first time using Preference. I was trying to correct a botched highlight job that I did using Touch On highlights. I typically color my hair a level 7, 7.5 darker blonde, but knew I needed to go darker than that to cover up the highlights and blend everything together. My natural color is a medium, cool tone brown. Excellence and Feria didn't have any colors close to what I wanted, everything was either too light or too dark. I picked this up in 6BB, light beige brown. I usually like to go with ash tones but was afraid of the highlights turning green.
My root area was lighter than the rest of my hair, so I applied the mixture to my roots and left it on until they started to darken up, for about 8 minutes. Then the rest of my hair and left it on until it was on my hair for about 25 minutes total. The gloves worked just fine.
I am really pleased with how this turned out. The color is very even, natural looking, and not flat. It is slightly darker than on the box, but not by much. The crown area blends very nicely into the rest of my hair. The brassiness I had from the highlights is all gone. My hair is very soft and shiny. I love the conditioner, it smells fabulous. I did have some hair come out during the coloring process, but I just finished my sixth round of chemotherapy a month ago, and while I didn't lose my hair completely (even though the doctor said I would) it did weaken it a little bit. So the amount of hair loss I did have from this seems minimal considering.
The only cons to this were; the smell, it was bad. It burned my eyes and nose, and I have never been bothered by home haircolor fumes before. Plus I was using it in a bathroom that has a huge window that was wide open. That, and this stuff was so runny. It got everywhere; all over me, my clothes, the floor, and counter. I don't know why this is so runny compared to other coloring kits, but it is.
Overall, very happy with the results. Plus, it was on sale for $9, plus I had a $2 coupon, so the price was definitely worth it! Will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2010 1:11:00 AM More reviews by plastic_goddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in Light Brown, and surprisingly, I was left with a color very close to the end result printed on the box. The color held up well for about four weeks. The really fantastic thing about this product is the conditioner, which seems to be mostly a tube of silicone. My hair has felt silky and soft for weeks now, though it has been washed several times. I highly recommend the conditioner if you can locate it on ebay. The hair dye is the best drugstore dye I've used, and despite the overwhelming smell and the high price, I would purchase it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2010 10:28:00 PM More reviews by Cellardoor367

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am torn. Do I give it five stars? Technically I would say it works well and does everything it says.... but I wouldn't buy it again for root touch up.
It's just too harsh on my hair. (I use a blonde color) When I used this to touch up my roots I tried to avoid the rest of my hair, I even put jelly in my hair to keep it from getting the stuff on it, but after one winter-thru-summer of using this my hair was badly damaged. My hair dresser was in shock, the ends started to break off. That was a year ago and I am still growing it out.

But, it did give me the color I wanted and it is completely permanent. Just a little too harsh.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2010 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Belle1113

My hair is naturally blonde, and I really wanted to dye it reddish brown. I got this stuff in Dark Soft Mahogany Brown, and it's PERFECT. I'd never dyed my own hair before using this, but it was super easy to use. It does dry out my ends, like I assume any dye would, so I just use it on my roots now. The color is really pretty - dark reddish brown, exactly what I wanted....which really surprised me, because everyone I spoke to said it would be difficult to get my light blonde hair to go so dark. I've been using it for over a year now, and I love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2010 11:37:00 PM More reviews by bigb00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is always my go to dye. I've dyed my hair at least 1/2 of the colors they provide over the years. 90% of the time I'm satisfied with the dye. The Conditioner IS AMAZING! I have little tubes all over my shower from my dye jobs and try to use it at least once a week.
Main Cons to this product - Reds fade a lot, Faster then other dyes. Ashes can go brassy. Smell can knock you over.
But as I said before.. If I want to change my hair color / Recolor my hair 90% of the time I'm using this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/25/2010 6:49:00 PM More reviews by emg93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product was recommended by my mother. Our logic is that L`Oreal can't go wrong, right? WRONG! Everytime I have used a Superior Preference hair product, I've had a hair disaster. Neutral colors turn my hair ashy and warm colors turn my hair yellow and pink. I guess it works for some, but even with prepping, my hair does not react well with this stuff.