Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 8/9/2012 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So admittedly, this is my first primer. I was late to the primer party. I never understood the purpose but I finally bought a small size of this at Sephora when I went in for something else. I can see how it makes my foundation go on smoothly but I am unsure as to what else it does. I don't know if it really makes it last any longer. I first used it on a hot and humid day and I did have to apply powder before the evening was through, but I'm unsure if I would've had to do that regardless. I like the way it feels though and I like how light it is. I think that it does not make me breakout which is what my biggest fear was with a primer.

on 8/2/2012 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I tried this Smashbox Primer after getting tired of my old primer (Philosophy The Present) not standing up to Oklahoma humidity anymore. I liked that this was oil-free as so many primers out there are not and I don’t trust an non-oil-free primer, as I’m prone to blackheads and breakouts. I bought the travel size of this to try it out and I’m glad I did. While it was good and lasted longer than The Present, it wasn’t great. I would still have to blot and touchup my makeup midday. I was using this every day just to keep oil at bay and it wasn’t doing what I needed it to. At least it did not aggravate my skin in any way. While finishing up the little tube of this, I got a sample of Smashbox’s original formula primer. I was thrilled to find out that the original formula is also oil-free, and it worked great. Even though the Light formula does feel a little lighter on my skin during application than the original formula does, after a few minutes of setting on the skin I feel no difference in weight between the two and the original out preforms Light. I’ve since switched to the original and won’t buy Light again.

on 7/25/2012 10:54:00 PM

Hated it. Immediately flaked on my skin once foundation was applied over it. Slid around like crazy on my skin, and makeup moved everywhere. Total disappointment.

on 7/25/2012 2:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

At first I bought this primer thinking that it would control my oily skin (WARNING: I am EXTREMELY oily), but unfortunately it didn't. Every time I pump a bit of this onto my fingers to spread onto my face it feels really soft, BUT I feel like it doesn't really "spread" all over my face. The worst part is that, after putting some of the product on my face, I looked at my two fingers that I just used and there is STILL primer on my fingers!!! And it was basically STUCK to my fingers in this weird texture and if i try to get the product off my finger and onto my skin, I felt that the whole primer that was supposedly already "on" my face would just rub off completely.... UGHH!! And as far as a foundation primer is supposed to be, this DID NOT help keep my MUFE HD foundation on longer or whatever AT ALL!!!

It is unfortunate that so many people have had bad experiences with this primer, because this is the only smashbox primer that I have tried that I love! This stuff holds my foundation like glue and gives my skin a beautiful matte appearance which is exactly what I wanted.
Benefits:
*Matte
*Not heavy. Put on after your moisturizer and you're set for the day
*A little goes a long way! I only use about the size of my pinky finger nail (or less!) and that covers my entire face.
*Not irriating. Melts into your skin like water

Originally bought this primer with the Smashbox Halo foundation, not a good combo on my skin. Works great with my other foundations though and holds all day!

I recommend this product for those who are looking to try a primer, who have combination skin and who want something ultra light.

on 7/16/2012 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

PLEASE think twice before you spend $36.00 on this primer! I was dying to try this stuff out - Fantasies of my oily skin looking matte and beautiful were quickly squashed after I wore this the first time...and the time after that...and the time after that. I wore my regular light suncreen/moisturizer underneath the primer as the box instructed. The result was a dry, caky looking face. And I have oily skin! It's difficult for my skin to become dry. Throughout the day, my skin became oilier, so it didn't do a great job of combating the shine like it promised. Oh, and the packaging is totally sub-par for the amount of money you're spending, not to mention there's hardly any product in the tube! If anything, this stuff made my skin look worse. Oh, and I noticed that it also made my blush/bronzer look totally streaky! Gross. Very disappointed - I will be returing this to Ulta soon!

Just didn't work... didn't fill in the lines under my eyes (not wrinkles but under the eye area is normally always very delicate and prone to creasing) didn't work.. really sad.

on 7/4/2012 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

this is (obviously) lighter than the original, and it doesn't have as much of a slip, it feels much better, and absorbs a lot faster. i don't find this makes my make up last longer or control my oiliness tho, so i wouldn't repurchase

on 6/30/2012 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had high hopes for this primer. It wasn't until I out and purchased a different brand how badly this was breaking me out. On top of that it really wasn't even doing that great of a job fighting the oil. I think smashbox had the right idea when they came out with their primers however, many many others have done a better job.

on 6/27/2012 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

So, I got a sample of this product and used it a few times. I have oily skin and it doesn't help control oil at all. Soon after I apply foundation, it gets oily after. And that's the main reason I sampled the product. However, it does provide a smoother base for the foundation but I already have smooth skin...

Even though this feels light, I think it might be clogging my pores because I am noticing whiteheads on my chin. And my skin has always been pristine.

Overall mediocre.