August 21, 2014 | 1047 users online

Eyes - MAC - Paint Pot in Rubenesque

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2011 9:09:00 PM More reviews by LoveAnnChic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a fabulous eyeshadow. I use it as a lid color, or as a base with a powder on top. I must say that I do use it with a primer (mostly because I always use a primer, I have oily lids and the primer really makes a difference no matter what I put on my eyes). The color is phenomenal. On me it is a perfect mixture of gold, cream or peach with just enough shimmer to really highlight my eyes. I use a multitude of different crease colors and it seems to match them all! I highly recommend not only this particular paint pot, but ALL paint pots! Application is easy. When new I can use my fingers, but as I have long nails, I must very soon start using a brush or it gets messy. In another review review it was mentioned that using a synthetic brush makes a difference and I'd have to agree. The synthetic brush definitely delivers the product with less product used, and more control over placement. Overall, this is a GREAT product and if you like eyeshadow at all, or if you want something with a great look but not too much work, THIS IS THE PRODUCT!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2011 5:46:00 PM More reviews by channie15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

At first it was difficult for me to figure out which way was best to apply this. I tried fingers and brushes, with and without primers, and alone and under other eyeshadow. I have come to the conclusion that I prefer applying it with a brush, with a primer underneath just by itself. Although it works well as a primer too, I prefer to let it shine on its own, since it is such a beautiful colour! It is a gorgeous gold/pink/peach, but once I apply it, the gold is most pronounced. It really makes the green in my hazel eyes pop! This is my new go-to everyday colour!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 9:15:00 AM More reviews by elledanseseule

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think every woman should own this paint pot. It's a gorgeous color!
It's really easy to apply (with your finger or a brush, whichever you like better). I don't use it as a base, I think it looks perfect the way it is.
It's 18.50 EUR for a paint pot, which is a lot to spend on a tiny jar of eye shadow, but I have a feeling this will last me forever. I will definitely buy again, and am considering buying more colors.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 2:06:00 PM More reviews by findingeva

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I L.O.V.E paint pots, I've got 3 of them and they are amazing whether you use them on their own or as a base.
When you use them as a base however, make sure you add a bit of powder on your eye lids, which will soak up the oil and then apply the paint pot with a brush ( I use the EcoTools eye shadow brush, it's great and just the right size, also MAC 242 and 252 brush work well, but i prefer the EcoTool one) and then on top add your normal eye shadow powder, this technique will help your eye shadow last the whole day and night!!
I do find that if i don't apply the powder under the paint pot, then it tends to crease quite quickly.
I'll be a paint pot girl for life, and they last for a very very very long time which makes them well worth the money!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2011 10:17:00 PM More reviews by hansa4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I can't believe there is only one other review on this product. I've been using Painterly PP for a while now as a primer. I saw this one on youtube and thought it would be lovely when I wear more shimmery colors from the Naked Palette. It's great as a more shimmery base but it's beautiful on its own as well. If I'm in a rush I rub this from my lashline up to my browbone (more concentrated on the lid) slap on eyeliner and mascara and feel as though I'm good to go.

For reference, I'm NW20.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2011 8:53:00 PM More reviews by JooYeon

Rubenesque was my first paint pot, and it still remains the one I reach for the most. I love it as a base for golds, peaches, and oranges.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by Gailkey2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this paint pot, I have been contemplating it for a while now-always trying it on in the MAC stores. I loved it bc I love golds, bronze, purples and it makes them all pop! I love it as a base. I will keep buying this color again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by kakaroxox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

At first I hated it cos it could never apply it evenly with my brush over my eye lids and it was all blotchy and gross. But now I use my fingers and its lovely!! I really like it although it is quite shimmery and it doesnt hold up my oily lids so i have to use a primer underneath if i want it to last but i much prefer paint pots to eye primers. They are so much easier to apply.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2010 1:42:00 PM More reviews by slivola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this paint pot but it did take me a while to learn the right technique for its application. It's a warm golden color with a touch of peach/apricot hues. At first I found it too thick/clumpy but now I have the hang of it. I do have a synthetic brush which is best for paint pots, but it goes on thicker that way- better for an evening look in my opinion. For daytime, I just use my finger for a quick sweep across the lid. I've also learned to always put the lid back on tightly as soon as I'm done using it or it will start to dry out- I think that contributed to the clumpy look I started getting after a while with my first pot. My second pot is nice and smooth and I've been good about always keeping the lid on.

Sometimes I like to put Mac e/s All that Glitters over rubenesque on my lid (I think Jest would look good instead of All that Glitters, especially if you want to bring out more of a pinkish hue and remove some of the orange/gold undertones). I also add a touch of Mac e/s Amber Lights in the outer half of the crease and on the outer V. I like wearing Mac forever green and/or Mac Minted eyeliners over rubenesque. Forever green is great for a daily natural look. Mac Minted (blended) is fun for a little more pop and brightness. They also look nice together or over tealo eyeliner for an evening look.

Oh, and about the price- I really think it's affordable because you get so much in the pot- nearly four times what a typical Mac e/s contains.

EDIT: I went to the Mac counter and experimented with rubenesque on the lid with Naked Lunch on top (instead of my usual All that Glitters) and it removed all the orange undertones and the gold- kind of neutralized the entire color of rubenesque, brightened the eye and added a subtle pink hue. I found it made the color too cool for my skin tone (I'm fair with yellow undertones) but it would be good for others. I also tried rubenesque with Jest over it. The pink hue was more saturated than the Naked Lunch making the color way too cool for me, but would be perfect for those of you commenting on too much gold or orange in rubenesque.

Final edit: I went to Hawaii and wanted a touch of makeup that looked totally natural. I did one sweep of rubenesque (using my ring finger) across each eyelid and some waterproof mascara and my eyes looked great and beachy. After a 12 hour day at various beaches, sweating and a final rain storm, my eyes still looked great and not even a crease!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/1/2010 9:38:00 AM More reviews by maneetaum

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pros:
-Beautiful colour
-Stays on all day and non transferable
-Very creamy and smooth
Cons:
-Cannot build colour or else it turns cakey
-Using a brush somehows apply it unevenly and makes it look horrible
-Bloody expensive

Alright product but will not purchase this colour again but maybe purchase a matte colour next time.