September 18, 2014 | 1753 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - Peppermint Castille Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2011 10:28:00 PM More reviews by godpsent

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I will do this review based on what I have used it for:

shampoo: great! clarifying, a little goes a long way, it would prolly be drying if used all the time, but I don't know. I only use it about every 5 washes.

toothpaste: ew...whose idea was this? you may as well brush your teeth with soap

hand soap: I put it in one of those foaming dispensers..its golden!!

Overall: smells great, economical, many uses!!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/26/2011 12:44:00 PM More reviews by meliasaurus

I bought this excited to use it for the 1000 things that they say you can do with it. unfortunately the peppermint smell is WAY too intense to put on my skin. I took a shower with it the first day and when I got out of the shower my skin was noticeably (literally other people noticed) bright red. My hair was disgusting and dried out. It burnt like hell on my privates. I ended up just using this to do my dishes.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by brittanymarkle

Strangest thing... broke out in a head-to-toe rash

I do NOT have sensitive skin in the least! I can pretty much slather anything on without my skin reacting negatively.

I used it the first day and it was delightfully invigorating! A little more drying than my past body washes but nothing that concerned me since I moisturize after the shower anyway.

The second day however, about 5 minutes after showering and moisturizing, most of my body was covered in red blotches. They weren't itchy or painful, just red and unsightly. The redness subsided completely within an hour but I will have to return this to the store in favor of something without peppermint (I assume that is what caused the reaction since it is the only ingredient that I haven't used in skin care products).

I am willing to try another Dr. Bronner's castille soap product that is less drying, and doesn't contain any menthol etc. I will conclude that this was simply luck-of-the-draw and I'm sure it's a fabulous product for most people.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by sarah2202

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the soap they use at the hot yoga studio I go to. It is such a refreshing scent after a class! It gets me clean without drying out my skin. I am glad there is no minty tingling sensation because I hate feeling cold in the shower. I won't buy it for home only b/c I am A.D.D. when it comes to scents and enjoying at the studio is enough for me, but it is a great body wash nonetheless!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2011 3:20:00 PM More reviews by kristinhatch2

This is great stuff. I normally don't like peppermint smell, but this product has made my exception list. It is great as a body wash- it foams like crazy and I use it to shave (without irritation). I always forget to but lotion on after my showers and the oil in this product works well for me. FYI- A small bit goes a long way. ENJOY!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2011 5:41:00 AM More reviews by melliecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is so weird. I still can't believe that I'm using castille soap to wash my face. And even weirder - it works! I have been having a really irritating run of adult onset acne, which seems ridiculously unfair since I'm not 16 any more, but there you go. And the peppermint castille soap, weirdly enough, seems to work! I took an old Neutrogena face wash bottle, emptied it out, and put it one part soap, three parts water. I use it with my Clarisonic. It took about two weeks to really start seeing results, but I wanted to stick with it, and now my skin is starting to look a little amazing. I am having the odd zit here and there, but it does seem to dry them out much more quickly. I'm finally accepting that my skin will never be perfect, but I am loving this - it's not too expensive, it has a very low rating on the cosmetic toxicity web site (and if you want to get really scared, check out your products on www.cosmeticsdatabase.com - my old Neutrogena face wash scored a shocking *8* out of 10 for toxicity levels), and I love the smell. Even my husband likes it, which really surprised me as he normally has zero interest in what he uses. So, if you want to find a great-smelling face wash that might clear up your face, and has almost no toxicity level, you should definitely try this. It's kind of amazing for cleaning your house, and using as laundry soap, too. Actually, the more you use it for, the more amazed you'll be!
Update: I used this soap as a face wash (diluted with water, of course), and at first, it worked great - but then I experienced the most horrendous breakout on my face that I'd had in years. My theory - all of the oils in the castille soap finally built up and caused a massive cluster of spots that were positively enormous - I still have acne scarring three months later! So my final verdict - this is great for many things but I'd advise against it as a face wash.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2011 11:14:00 AM More reviews by rebslo

I have fallen in love with Dr. B. After reading other reviews I literally ran to Trader Joe's ($8.99 for 32 ounces) to buy my bottle. I generally am not a peppermint fan, unless it is a peppermint pattie that is but the smell in the bath was fantastic. Almost better than eating chocolate. Almost. If you consider how concentrated the product is, the price isn't bad. Remember-Dilute. Dilute. I didn't tingle because I used a drop or two at a time as a body wash. I plan to use all over my house to clean. Perhaps a pump top would help dispense with care, but otherwise this is a perfect product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 12:07:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

I do agree with the previous reviewer. I've used a peppermint shower wash in the past and it was interesting. Unless you want a thrill, don't use it on your vaginal area. I use a seperate soap now, and just use this on the rest of my body because it contains a lot of oils. It's not good to use all soaps to wash your privates, because you never know what you will be allergic to, and an allergy there is bad news ladies. I don't have hard water, so I haven't had an issue with it not cleaning my skin. I'm brand new to this soap, so it will take a few weeks to tell if I like it enough to repurchase. I bought the peppermint bar soap. Most vegan soaps melt into nothing in just days, so I hope this lasts! I washed my hands with it and it has a great lather.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 10:43:00 PM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this as a brush cleaner, and I'm not sure what else to use it for right now! It is too strong for my face or body, but I would like to find other uses for it. I had first used this in my brush cleanser concoction, however, it does a MUCH better job on its own without using a lot! There were brushes that I thought were otherwise almost unable to be thoroughly cleaned, but by using only this -they are sparkling! I got the small size at Target to test this out. I believe it was around $3-4. A little goes a long way, surprisingly. This stuff seems super concentrated. When I'm done with the small bottle, I'd like to buy the big one and just plan to use that and only that for my brush cleaner!
EDIT: I did begin to use only this for my brush cleaner, and I think it is breaking me out! Sad, because it does an awesome job at cleaning brushes, and has a great scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2010 5:09:00 AM More reviews by KateSchuette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the best thing that ever happened to me. I've used Lavender in the past and decided to give peppermint a whirl.

I'm a huge fan of L'Occitane shower oil - but I'll be paying $22 no longer. I love this stuff - it's so refreshing! And it's non-drying.