August 1, 2014 | 1746 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2011 3:42:00 AM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

I am writing this review 3 days after doing the treatment for the first time. Usually I would use a product a few times before reviewing, but I am so impressed, I want to share my thoughts now, and will update as I continue to use it over time.

My hair: Very curly, 3b, smooth, fine but lots of it (but recently shed extremely so temporarily thin) it is not course, it's soft/smooth Caucasian hair, color treated, very dry and prone to breakage

I bought this 3 months ago because it was recommended both on MUA and other hair forums. My hair was becoming very hard to manage. It is already very prone to dryness and breakage, but I went through a bit of a "hair identity crisis" and kept color treating my hair, leaving it even more fragile. On top of that already horrible situation, I moved to a new place with very hard well water. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to it at the time - life was busy and I'll be honest I was scared because of the though of smelling of cat pee while people were home and it taking all day. My hair continued to decline. It was no falling out to the point where I could visibly see the thinning at my roots. My hair was untouchable. I couldn't even run my fingers through it, let alone brush/comb it without tons of shedding and hearing is snap and break. My curls were limp, and it was no longer curling in the tight corkscrews it normally does. I was feeling hopeless about it.

I finally set aside a day and did this treatment. I made sure I read many reviews and the instructions carefully. First, I trimed about an inch to get rid of the majority of the split ends. Then, I detangled my hair with conditioner then I shampooed with a clarifying shampoo to prep for the treatment and was careful not to tangle it up with the fear of breakage while drying.

I poured the treatment in a bowel and applied it with a hair coloring paint brush (like i saw on a video working in very small sections. At first I worked very fast because I was afraid of it drying before I finished, but that wasnt an issue. (although, my hair usually takes FOREVER to dry). I didnt know what to do with my hair since it is long - normally I pile it on top of my head, but I was afraid of the 'manipulation' and so I cliped it with a clip like a low pony tail - this ended up being a mistake because it stuck to my shirt and back, making it hard to take off when I was ready to rinse.

I sat with a blow dryer on my head, taking occasional breaks. I decided to use a diffuser since it would be less likely to move the hair. It worked very well. It dried faster then I expected... maybe an hour? Probably less, but I just wanted to be sure I left it on long enough.

For rinsing, I did as another reviewer suggested, and filled the tub and slowly leaned back into the water. I was very gentle touch it while in the water.. it takes about a minuet to soften up before you can begin to work with your fingers. I followed up with the balancing moisturizer. I left it in for a few minuets, but I felt like it could have been more moisturizing.

I then colored my hair and deep conditioned again.

WOW.

this stuff was like a breath of life for my hair. My hair felt soft, yet strong. I can actually touch my hair now without problems. If feels so fluffy and my curls came back in a major way. Even my SO told me my hair had been super curly ever since. Its like all knew hair. I have already noticed when I comb or shampoo my hair that the shedding is significantly less then - I would say about 1/2 the shedding compared to what it was 2 weeks before. I feel like my hair feels a little thicker, and I am confident know that it will grow back in thick again. My hair is also retaining moisture more then it was, and it's pretty much like a whole new set of hair. I so regret not doing it sooner - I bet this should have kept my hair from thinning in the first place.

the package says to do it every 6 weeks, but I would try and push is longer. I plan on doing smaller protein treatments (like k-pack) every 2 weeks for maintaince, and only doing this when I start to feel my hair needs it. I am really afraid of over doing it.

Price: about $20 for 16oz which will last at least 1 year! I bought mine on sale, so even better. It's worth way more then that, since my hair hair looked like I just got back from a salon, and I payed way less then $100. It was the best $20 I have ever spent on my hair! It surpassed my expectations. I am very happy with this! I now want to try other aphogee products. Amazing quality!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by NatanYah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I really felt a lot better about my hair after using this product. My hair has been shedding a lot for the last couple of months and I finally decided to do something about it. Rather than pay the salon darn near $100 for a protein treatment I shelled out the small amount of cash for a bottle of this along with the balancing moisturizer. My hair feels stronger, but it's still shedding a little bit. I went for a trim but I think I'll have a little more cut off the next time. I highly recommend this product. Please be sure to follow the directions!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2011 10:52:00 PM More reviews by itsKelCeeEee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

AWESOME product, but I don't use the second step moisturizer; instead I use a different deep conditioner that has a lot more moisture because I feel like the second step aphogee one isn't the best. Also, this hasn't happened to me, but be careful of protein overload. You NEED a good moisturizing treatment after this; it's not an option. Otherwise, your hair could break off and lose its elasticity.

If you're not willing to shell out the cash for the bottle before you try it then get the packets.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 5:16:00 PM More reviews by taralynn36

Literally, where have you been all my life?? I bought this after my stylist recommended me to get a protein treatment. I looked at all the different ones at Sally's and then came home to MUA. I picked this up after reading the stellar reviews. I have to say this product meets all my expectations and then some.

I have very fine shoulder length medium blonde hair that I lighten about 1 or 2 levels. Every time I start to grow my hair out to my shoulders it starts falling out like crazy. So even when my hair was bra strap length it never really looked good because it was too thin and fine. It is amazing how well this product works after 1 treatment. My hair hardly falls out at all, either in the shower or when I comb it. It's so much stronger. I'll admit I was a little skeptical but this stuff really works. I wish I had know about it years ago. I like to use it about once a month although I did use it twice last month, once before I colored and once after. I usually blow dry for about 10 minutes but I'm hoping that once it heats up here in Vegas I can just let it bake outside instead of using the dryer.

And yes, it is a little stinky (the rep at Sally's even warned me) but it's not as bad as I expected and it wears off quickly. continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2011 3:18:00 AM More reviews by laurentate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ohmygod where has this stuff been?! I'd never heard of it until MUAs hair board. I immediately ran into my closest Sally's and bought two sample packs - my hair is really long and I was worried I wouldn't have enough. I reread all the really helpful reviews right before and prepared for the worst smell of my life. Honestly, I wasn't that grossed out. Dont get mr wrong, it's rancid. But it didn't bother me that badly. Anyways, I'm glad I bought two. I mixed them up and put them in a bowl. I added some water because I was still concerned. So I saturated my hair and ended up putting it up on my head. WRONG MOVE. Halfway through drying it fell. I was petrified and almost started crying thinking I had broken off my hair at chin length. Nevertheless, it was fine thank god. It took a good hour and half to dry with my blowdryer. I thought my arm was gonna fall off. I left it on another 30 minutes after my arm lost feeling and went and hung outside, had a cigarette (I know, I know). I went inside and hopped in the shower. I just chilled under the water for about three minutes. Seriously. I was still freaking out about it falling. I rinsed for a good 4-5 minutes and applied all the conditioner and mixed in some of my Ion extreme moisture creme (adore it) because I felt the conditioner in the packs weren't moisturizing enough. After another 5 minutes, I rinsed and hopped out. After all that, there was no way I was touching my dryer or flatiron. It wasn't incredibly softer, shinier, or anything, but I've noticed it's stronger, healthier looking and I'm shedding a lot less (not so much broken pieces, I'm still losing whole hairs though).

I've bought the big bottle from Sally's since and since they had a special, I went ahead and bought the conditioner. It'll help my ion last longer. It says to use every 6 weeks, and im counting down till I can use it again. It's gotten better every time. Yes, it's expensive ($30 roughly for both with coupons and specials and my beauty card) but it'll last forever. Yes, it's a PITA to do, but it works. It does everything it promises.
I've learned that with long hair it's best if you just half it and do each side just hanging flat. It's pretty gross when it gets all over you (so sticky) and your bathroom, but it's a small compromise. Just make it a beauty day.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2011 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Kgilks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been bleaching my hair for 11 years now. I've been trying to grow out my hair for my wedding, but it kept breaking and would not grow! Finally I came across this product and was amazed at how soft my hair was after. I could actually run my fingers through my hair! I just followed the directions on the bottle and used a blow dryer for about 30 minutes.
I highly recommend this product!
I cannot wait to grow my hair even longer for the wedding!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 2:55:00 PM More reviews by fkngabi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using aphogee 2 step treatment on and off for the past year. I have to say this product has improved my hair tremendously. For reference I have naturally brown hair that's thin and there's not a lot of it. I've been putting my hair through horrendous damage for the past 4 years or so. I mean within that time period I've went from black to blonde at least 5 times, and bleach already damages your hair, but imagine the damage it did when I kept changing my hair color every few months. I also abused my hair by straightening it daily, and wearing fusion extensions 2 years ago that practically ripped out half of my hair. So finally I came across MUA and decided to do something to bring my fried hair to life. I saw all the reviews regarding the aphogee 2 step treatment and read a very helpful notepad by katdan here's the link: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/katdan
So basically I limitedly purchased this at Sallys and have been using it since then. This is exactly what I do:
1. I use coconut oil as a pre-treatment, I saturate my dry hair and massage some onto the scalp also. I leave this on over night but I'm sure 30-60 minutes would work fine.
2.Next I clarify my hair using the V05 kiwi lime squeeze shampoo, since I heard protein works better on clean, product free hair and my hair tends to get a lot of buildup.
3.I apply the aphogee 2 step treatment all through my towel dried hair and use a wide tooth comb to distribute it evenly. I make sure to work quickly, since it does dry fast.
4. Next I blow dry my hair for about 30-40 minutes on high heat, low fan. I know 30 minutes of blow drying is hard but I noticed it works better the longer you apply heat to it since protein sticks to your hair when heat is used.
5. I leave it on an additional 30 minutes, and once my hair is fully hard I rinse it out.
6.I apply the balancing moisturizer, cover my head with a shower cap, leave that on for about an hour and apply heat also.
7. I rinse everything out, apply morrocon oil and let my hair air dry.

I know this is a lot of steps and very time consuming, but I only do this once every 6 weeks, so I treat this as spa day(: I fully recommend this for anyone with extremely damaged hair, this is truly a hair saver, and if you're skeptical just try out the sample packet which costs less than 4 $ at sallys.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2011 2:34:00 AM More reviews by ProductJunkey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Why I never tried this...I don't know... I've tried so many products at Sally's---I can spend hours in that store!! Well, I guess I'll never learn, because I started out by coloring my roots, then decided they were too brassy, then started coloring my hair again and again. The absolute worst thing I did was apply L'oreal Hair Color Remover to get rid of a green tinged ashy color I had after trying to reverse the brassiness. I've used the OOPS color remover before, thinking the L'oreal was the same- well it wasn't- it was basically straight up bleach that left me with fried out yellow-orange hair! NEVER use that stuff!!! It's evil.
Anyway, once I got the color back to a normal shade, I used this --after reading the reviews- went to Sally's and bought the big bottle-- BTW- the pink bottle step 2 is free with the Sally's coupon for the month of March, so I thought that would be a better deal...I followed the directions, however I didn't wash my hair- I just spritzed it with a bit of water to get it damp- then followed the directions. I dried it with my hairdryer, then let it sit for about two hours. Yes this stuff does have an offensive smell- someone said "cat pee"-- yeah, that's right on. Once it dries, the smell goes away, then comes back once you rinse. I can deal with it, though. I did what the other poster wrote about getting in the bath and putting your head back in the water. I was terrified of my hair perhaps snapping off if I tried rinsing in the shower. I hardly have any hair to begin with! I just didn't want to touch it at all. That worked really well. I applied step two and then rinsed and let my hair dry naturally. I could tell my hair felt stronger and I could actually run my fingers through it- before it was like ratty mush. Now, it's a few days later and my hair looks and feels pretty much back to normal. I still have some fried ends that I think I will go in and get trimmed, but I'm so happy with this product. I think I will do another treatment in about a week. I've tried Nexxus Emergencee and this is sooo much better overall. Just when you think "you've really done it this time" with your hair-- go try this. You will forgive yourself.

Edited to Add: I know the directions suggest to use this every six weeks-- I decided to give myself another treatment after only two weeks.
Here's my advice--*wait at least six weeks*-- I think my hair had protein overload and it became dry for about a week after I did that second treatment.
It's okay again. now. Just too much protein is not a good thing!
I recently purchased a *bonnet style* hairdryer. The brand is Carel. I've seen them at Sally beauty supply for about $50.00. I lucked out and found one that was like new at Goodwill for $5.00. This is a great investment if you do a lot of coloring/bleaching. It works great with this treatment. It allows you to heat your hair much hotter and more evenly than when you use a hand held dryer, plus you can sit at the computer or do your nails while it's on. If it gets too hot, then I will turn it off for a few minutes, then turn it on again. It also is great for just doing deep conditioning treatments. I try to do this on a weekly basis.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 1:48:00 PM More reviews by AlexandriaAlessia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I brought this after seeing so many glowing reviews on this site. I am a white female with hair in need of some intense tlc,my natural hair is a mousy blonde colour and therefore bleach has always been my favourite for enabling me to become ultra blonde,ultra easy, unfortunately as im sure you know ,hair and bleach are not the best of friends when they meet each other too frequently and in my case i think i overdid it a little bit especially during the college years! Prior to using this i had been using L'oreal Nutrigloss mask twice a week to fix my hair but it got to a point when my locks needed a little bit more. I washed with Klorane organic shampoo with Oatmilk and blot dried my hair,i combed from root to tip and then coated with the protein treatment,i blow dried with a 2000w hair dryer on a medium heat for around 15 minutes. My hair after this process was in very delicate state,very hard and crunchy but this was expected. I then gentley washed the treatment from my hair and lightly shampoo again. I then used the balancing moisturiser which made my hair feel like silk,to bypass the strong scent of the protein treatment i applied Bumble & Bumble Masque De Coco and left it on for 30 mins to give a nice smell. (I would recommend a whole afternoon for the whole process in order to get your hair in tip top condition,this is not one of those quick fixes it takes a little bit of time!) I then blow dried again and already i felt a huge difference in the quality of my hair,it felt strong and not poufy. I then straightened with ghds and my hair was straight and silky without that "damaged look" for the first time in a long time. I am really happy with the results and would highly recommend,i can't wait to use this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2011 10:06:00 PM More reviews by chickenlittle25

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff! I bleached my own hair for years and since I couldn't see the back of my head I tended to overlap a LOT to avoid dark patches (I also had a tendency to let my roots grow to about an inch, and I overlapped out to 3-4 inches every time I bleached) Sometimes I would just do my whole head over because my hair would start looking yellow (I was a lot younger and dumber) So as you can imagine my ends were totally fried.

I got this stuff after reading about it on a long hair forum and it completely changed my hair. Before I used it my hair would get to bra length in the back and then it would break off as fast as it grew. The ends looked awful and I had to condition in the shower and then put on conditioners and smoothing glosses just so that the ends wouldn't snarl from running a comb through it. Usually any brushing or combing resulted in little bits between 1/2" to 2" long breaking off everywhere. I carried a mini lint roller with me because if I had to do a little touch up brushing or combing I knew there would be bits of hair all over my clothing. After using this product the breakage decreased dramatically. I still got a lot of split ends, but with what I put my hair through, I can't expect that any product would totally reverse the damage. People at work actually noticed that my hair looked a lot healthier. My ends didn't tangle nearly as easily and my hair wasn't so frizzy at the ends. After a few months of using it every 6 weeks or so my hair looked 110% better.

The downsides to this product are the smell. It definitely smells eggy. I don't think it smells like rotten eggs, but to me it smells like eggs with dirt mixed in. It's not overbearing, but it's definitely an odor. For me it stays in my hair for about 2 days (not all that noticeable the 2nd day, but still there). The other downside is the bottle. They should either package it in a bottle with a flip up tip so you can squirt it where you need it, or perhaps a spray bottle. My method has been to get a cheap spray bottle, and mix a little water into the first step treatment (it tends to clog the nozzle on its own) and just spray my head and comb through. That has worked well for me.

The conditioner is nice. The odor is ok, and it's not overpowering.

The best way to use this is to give yourself a "spa day" when you don't have to be around people because you will be self conscious about how your hair smells. Get some stuff to give yourself a pedicure, maybe a nice smelling face masque, go all out. I have gone out with friends the same day of a treatment and asked them if they could smell my hair, and only one of them smelled something "earthy" from a typical distance you would sit from your friends at a restaurant. They all said smelled it when they got really close (like went up and sniffed my hair close). The smell the second day isn't going to be noticed by people unless they are really invading your space.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No