December 17, 2014 | 1693 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2011 10:15:00 AM More reviews by catjacarol

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had completely forgotten about this product until I was reviewing MUA for information on another item. I have used this in the past after having a disastrous relaxer applied by a "professional" who then suggested some HIGHLIGHTS!!!!

Needless to say...my hair broke off in clumps. I was so very upset and angry that I didn't even bother going back. I went to Sally's looking for some kind of moisturizer and the lady there suggested I try this in a little package. My hair at the time was just below my shoulders and incredibly thick so I bought two (glad I did). While it did not stop me from having to cut my hair to get rid of the damaged areas...I was able to do it over time instead of having to get a crew cut. I now use the 2 minute reconstructor the week before my relaxer and on the day of my relaxer with very good results. Aphogee restorative treatments saved my hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by camicat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Aphogee should be in every chemically enhanced girl's hair arsenal. I have tightly curled, texturized hair and this . The smell is rank; I can't quite pinpoint what it reminds me of but I will say it is vaguely fishy and is reminiscent of foul B.O. Luckily the smell doesn't linger especially since you have to follow it up with another conditioner (for moisture). Nevertheless it has become a staple of mine because it REALLY strengthens my hair.

I generally leave it on for 30 minutes and either go under a hooded dryer or blow dry with a hand dryer until it is rock hard. Then I rinse and follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner (my hair does NOT like the recommended follow-up Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer). Afterward you style as usual; I can attest to the fact that my hair is 100% stronger since I started using Aphogee a year ago (and I've only done about 4 treatments in that time span). Give it a try especially if your hair is relaxed, texturized, permed or color enhanced.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Limelightlover

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So, I just used this treatment for the first time and I am sooo disappointed. I followed the directions perfectly, withstood the smell and just washed the moistuizer off, to find my hair WORSE than when I had started. I have been bleaching blonde for a year now and my hair is dry, dry, dry. I have been controlling it though with my redkin all soft mask and real control leave in. So I read reviews that were raving about this product and figured I would be sooo happy with healthy hair and that product would give me it! No such luck. After just now rinsing the moisturizing treatment, I am SHEDDING SO BAD. THERE IS HAIR ON MY KEYBOARD AS I TYPE.

BIGGEST WASTE OF 3$, I am SO GLAD I did'nt buy the bottles.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2011 6:12:00 PM More reviews by rosie8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a wonderful treatment that gives your hair enough protein for 6 weeks. You must use the balancing conditioner after the 2 step because it will make your hair hard. Follow the instructions and you will have healthy hair with little breakage. Also don't use other protein based conditioners while using this product or you will have protein overload (hard hair).

rated 2 of 5 on 9/24/2011 10:00:00 AM More reviews by lizindallas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After reading stellars reviews of this product, I decided I had to try it. I have heavily highlighted blonde hair - it wasn't breaking but it gets pretty dry and usually protein really does a nice job. Well, I followed the directions correctly and really? the main difference I found is that now a couple weeks later my hair is really dry. And no, I'm not using any other products with protein and I am using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I wanted to love it.... but I didn't...

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2011 2:05:00 PM More reviews by ensayles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to wait before commenting on this product, as the first time I used it I only bought the 2 envelopes for around $4. The product wasn't enough to saturate my hair, although I still felt I had improved softness and strength...but I wanted to be sure it was worth the 45 minutes + investment, besides the money, before I reviewed it. I liked it enough to invest in the bottles (around a $30 investment) and re-applied after the 6 weeks recommended. I put the stinky stuff in a spray bottle to make application easier, which worked wonderfully, and saturated my towel-dried hair...then blow dried it for the 45 minutes while I was eating breakfast (I'm a muli-tasker.) Then I colored/glossed my hair before using the intensive conditioner of step 2. I was surprised later that day when my husband mentioned how soft my hair felt! My hair seems to behave better and I have noticed fewer split ends (I trimmed my hair just before using it the first time, but I usually have split ends again by now...so I don't think this treatment mended by split ends but certainly has kept me from getting so many as quickly.) Just this morning I noticed another benefit from this product...my dark brown hair color is actually growing out and I can see my golden brown roots! I know that doesn't sound like a good thing, but my hair color doesn't grow out...it washes out...but not this time. This stuff may not be a miracle for hair, but it's more than worth the time and money invesment! I actually look forward to using it, even though it's a hassle. I also use the intensive conditioner every couple of weeks just for a boost.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2011 1:43:00 AM More reviews by LaceyPorter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My hair is thick, dry, fuzzy and frizzy but this product just made it feel like straw and I can't see any noticeable difference. I did use the second step conditioner as well. I did this treatment the next shampoo after my highlights (non-bleach high color lift) to fill the hair shaft maybe I did it too soon I don't know but I wasn't that impressed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2011 9:10:00 PM More reviews by EternityintheRain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Another staple I have used since I first relaxed my hair. I use this every three months to strengthen and soften my hair. It has always given me great, shiny hair. To reap the benefits of it I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo and then apply this all lover my hair, roots, soak my hair with it. Then get underneath the dryer and wait 30-40 minutes until it hardens. Then I follow it up with ORS Replenishing Conditioner and leave that on for about 5 minutes. Detangle with the conditioner in my hair. And then follow with my silk elements leave in. Rollers galore. Almost two hours underneath the dryer. And voila! A week of gorgeous, silky and thick hair with mirror shine to boot. This product works for a great deal of hair types, wether it be curly, wavy, kinky, or straight. I've seen the results with my patchwork family. Great hair everywhere. I like to buy the big one because I've found it is cheaper per use than the smaller, Emergencee sized bottle. And it costs a lot less than the Nexxus treatment. I think the best place to get it is at Sally's. it costs about 20, but with the 15% or 20% coupons you can get it between $16 and $17 bucks. And the sometimes have the $2 off coupons too. That's when i stock up.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2011 1:53:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am one of the rare few that just did not see any results from using this product. After using it twice, I just don't get the rave reviews about this. I was initially horrified to try it because of all the rants about the smell. Honestly, it does not smell that bad. Rotting garbage smells worse too me than this. I found the two-step process time-consuming but easy to use. I have fine, dry hair that is becoming brittle and I am having a lot of shedding. This product did nothing for me. But, as it is not too pricey, I would suggest trying it as this product seems to help the majority of people reviewing this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2011 3:42:00 AM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

I am writing this review 3 days after doing the treatment for the first time. Usually I would use a product a few times before reviewing, but I am so impressed, I want to share my thoughts now, and will update as I continue to use it over time.

My hair: Very curly, 3b, smooth, fine but lots of it (but recently shed extremely so temporarily thin) it is not course, it's soft/smooth Caucasian hair, color treated, very dry and prone to breakage

I bought this 3 months ago because it was recommended both on MUA and other hair forums. My hair was becoming very hard to manage. It is already very prone to dryness and breakage, but I went through a bit of a "hair identity crisis" and kept color treating my hair, leaving it even more fragile. On top of that already horrible situation, I moved to a new place with very hard well water. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to it at the time - life was busy and I'll be honest I was scared because of the though of smelling of cat pee while people were home and it taking all day. My hair continued to decline. It was no falling out to the point where I could visibly see the thinning at my roots. My hair was untouchable. I couldn't even run my fingers through it, let alone brush/comb it without tons of shedding and hearing is snap and break. My curls were limp, and it was no longer curling in the tight corkscrews it normally does. I was feeling hopeless about it.

I finally set aside a day and did this treatment. I made sure I read many reviews and the instructions carefully. First, I trimed about an inch to get rid of the majority of the split ends. Then, I detangled my hair with conditioner then I shampooed with a clarifying shampoo to prep for the treatment and was careful not to tangle it up with the fear of breakage while drying.

I poured the treatment in a bowel and applied it with a hair coloring paint brush (like i saw on a video working in very small sections. At first I worked very fast because I was afraid of it drying before I finished, but that wasnt an issue. (although, my hair usually takes FOREVER to dry). I didnt know what to do with my hair since it is long - normally I pile it on top of my head, but I was afraid of the 'manipulation' and so I cliped it with a clip like a low pony tail - this ended up being a mistake because it stuck to my shirt and back, making it hard to take off when I was ready to rinse.

I sat with a blow dryer on my head, taking occasional breaks. I decided to use a diffuser since it would be less likely to move the hair. It worked very well. It dried faster then I expected... maybe an hour? Probably less, but I just wanted to be sure I left it on long enough.

For rinsing, I did as another reviewer suggested, and filled the tub and slowly leaned back into the water. I was very gentle touch it while in the water.. it takes about a minuet to soften up before you can begin to work with your fingers. I followed up with the balancing moisturizer. I left it in for a few minuets, but I felt like it could have been more moisturizing.

I then colored my hair and deep conditioned again.

WOW.

this stuff was like a breath of life for my hair. My hair felt soft, yet strong. I can actually touch my hair now without problems. If feels so fluffy and my curls came back in a major way. Even my SO told me my hair had been super curly ever since. Its like all knew hair. I have already noticed when I comb or shampoo my hair that the shedding is significantly less then - I would say about 1/2 the shedding compared to what it was 2 weeks before. I feel like my hair feels a little thicker, and I am confident know that it will grow back in thick again. My hair is also retaining moisture more then it was, and it's pretty much like a whole new set of hair. I so regret not doing it sooner - I bet this should have kept my hair from thinning in the first place.

the package says to do it every 6 weeks, but I would try and push is longer. I plan on doing smaller protein treatments (like k-pack) every 2 weeks for maintaince, and only doing this when I start to feel my hair needs it. I am really afraid of over doing it.

Price: about $20 for 16oz which will last at least 1 year! I bought mine on sale, so even better. It's worth way more then that, since my hair hair looked like I just got back from a salon, and I payed way less then $100. It was the best $20 I have ever spent on my hair! It surpassed my expectations. I am very happy with this! I now want to try other aphogee products. Amazing quality!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No