October 25, 2014 | 1789 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by ouisch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I haven't written a review on here in a very long time, but I had to talk about Color Oops. I have dyed my hair every colour of the rainbow since my early teens. I'm in my mid 30s now. My hair is extremely fine, quite thin, curly, and down to my bra-strap in length. I had been salon-coloring for the past year, trying to go closer to my natural colour (medium ash brown streaked with grey) so my roots are less visible. I ended up with some banding in the process.
I had a very unreliable hairdresser, so I used box colours for my last two root-jobs, both of which ended up being slightly lighter than my natural hair colour. Then I had an inch of virgin roots. So virgin roots, plus an two inches of two different colours, then banding from salon lightening... I think you're starting to pick up what I'm laying down.
I decided I wanted to go a deep, rich red, thinking it would even everything out. I bought a dark auburn box colour from L'Oreal. I never thought my hair would grab like it did, I ended up with 3 inches of auburn roots and the rest of my salon-colored hair went an inky black. After spending a great deal of time and money lightening my hair closer to my natural colour, you can imagine my thrill of having black hair with red roots.
Enter Color Oops. I did it late last night and I must say it does exactly what it says it will do. My hair is nearly back to what it looked like before the last box colour I did. It is back to a medium-dark brown with lighter roots.
You must follow the instructions exactly. And it does smell, but not a "OMG I'm dying gagging, drama *retch*" kind of way that people are reporting here. It has a sulfur-like smell... but I've had box colours that smelled worse.
Rinsing for twenty minutes... well, it takes an unbelievably long time. Even with a timer I was still checking in disbelief at how much time there was left. I rinsed for five, shampooed, rinsed for five, shampooed, etc. After the 20 minutes was up, I put in a nice conditioner, rinsed, towel-dried and put in leave-in, and went to bed.
My hair looks less banded than before the last colour job I did. It's far more even than I anticipated. It does not smell. It is pretty soft and still is shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2012 11:43:00 AM More reviews by TEEZEU

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I READ ALL THE REVIEWS ON HERE BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT. I HAVE TO ADMIT I USED IT BEFORE AND SKIPPED THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP OF RINSING FOR 20 MIN BECAUSE THE DIRECTIONS DONT EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT. I HAD BEEN COLORING MY HAIR JET BLACK FOR 5 YRS. I AM LUCKY I HAVE A SHORT SPIKY STYLE. THE BLACK ALL CAME OUT! MANY REVIEWS SAY TO LEAVE YOUR NEW COLOR ON ONLY 5 MINUTES. CONDITION YOUR HAIR IF RE-COLORING THE SAME DAY. MY HAIR WAS HEALTHY SO I DIDNT BUY THE PROTEIN FILLER MANY RECOMMEND. I WENT TO A BURGANDY RED COLOR. THE NEW COLOR DOES GRAB ALOT DARKER THEN YOU THINK IT WILL BUT WHEN TRYING REDS, ONLY 5 MINUTES IS NOT ENOUGH TO LET THE RED TONES DEVELOP. COLOR WAS LEFT LOOKING ASH BROWN. I TRIED COLORSILK LUMINISTA FOR NATURALLY DARK HAIR. THIS WORKED. I THINK BECAUSE IT HAS A HIGH LEVEL OF LIFT IN THE DEVELOPER WHICH KEPT THE COLOR FROM GRABBING 2 DARK. AFTER 10 MIN OF LEAVING IT ON, I REALLY LIKE THE RESULTS.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2012 4:01:00 PM More reviews by stephanielynne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was very sketchy about this product after reading all the reviews. But, I decided that I might as well try.

At first I had dyed my hair a bright fire engine red and I LOVED it, unfortunately red is really hard to keep up with, so I went to a brown which faded into a disgusting color I couldn't stand. SO, I decided to go back to my blonde.

I honestly think the only downfall of this product is the smell of it. It turned my hair into a strawberry blonde, which I was able to bleach over and now my hair is a color that I can live with. It's cheap, it's easy, it WILL work if you follow the instructions and my hair had the same texture and feel as it did before I put the Color Oops in, did no damage at all. Just make sure you have a good conditioner. Although my bathroom and bedroom smell like a dump, I'm very happy with the results of Color Oops!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2012 12:56:00 AM More reviews by smittie

Dyed my medium, golden blonde hair bright red. Didn't mean for it to be bright red, but there you go. Color Oops got it all out. I have baby fine hair, and no breakage after using it. Stuff smells nasty, and 25 minutes hanging over the tub with sprayer made me a little dizzy (def. get in the shower), but it really works.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2012 11:32:00 AM More reviews by mamasmurf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have naturally blond hair and wanted a little change. My intentions were to put black underneath with the blond on top. When I rinsed the black dye out of my hair, the blond had turned gray! I was horrified to say the least. My hair is already damaged from bleaching from a dark color back to blond so I was leary about what to do. I found color oops and decided to give it a shot. I am happy to say that it lifted the gray/black right out of my hair! Even before I was done applying it I saw that blond coming back through! I will definately use this again if I make another mistake with hair color. Very happy with the results!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 9:31:00 PM More reviews by natsmith5

I am impressed! My natural hair color is a light ashy blonde, however I have been dying my hair since the 8th grade... I ruined my naturally beautiful blonde hair when i decided to dye it brown.. bad call. The dye barely stuck to my hair and within a few weeks it was totally faded and had a green tint. Since then, i got my hair back to a platinum blonde color through professional highlighting and home dying. 3 days ago i decided I wanted a more natural dirty blonde color... when i washed it out my hair was dark dark brown. horrified, i washed it about 6 more times in attempt to wash the dark color away. No success there... a few days passed and i started to notice the green color coming back.. my worst fear... I started to panic and drove to CVS where i found color oops for $6.00.. good deal. I left it in for 20 minutes and rinsed it for about 10, i came out of the shower with intentions of re-dying my hair a light ash blonde but after blow dying it i LOVED the color. it turned out light blonde with a few natural looking dirty blonde highlights... a lot like my natural color! highly recommend this product for people with have dyed their blonde hair too dark.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Marciana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I had high expectations for this product and I was let down. My hair had been previously bleached blonde until I dyed it light brown about a month ago. Wanting to go back to a lighter color w/o harming it too much, I picked color oops up at walgreens for $14. I followed the directions exactly and rinsed my hair for about 25 minutes in hot water. I am disappointed to say that the results weren't all that great. It did lighten my hair a shade or two, but it's not even close to the blonde I had before. It's more like a very dark blonde. I was not pleased, but at least it lightened my hair a little.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2012 9:00:00 PM More reviews by Beautifulfeathersandlove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My color is light brown naturally and I dyed it with a 28 washes dark brown. I followed the instructions exactly because all the forums said to. Then I followed with the 3minute miracle by Aussie.
It looked lighter at first but the next morning it was just how it was to start with! So I got another box, followed directions exactly, more than 20minutes of rinsing. Standing in the shower that long sucks, I put a movie on my iPad to help distract myself. Nothing happened. Im down twenty bucks and hair looks the same as I started....maybe just a tad brassy actually which sucks.
It's now been a few days and my hair still smells soooo bad, I've washed about 8 times so far since being done with it...still smells! My family had to roll down the car windows, embarrassing. Geez. Neighbors across the hallway from me say they can still smell it through my doorway when they are in the hall...I took out all the trash and wiped everything down and opened the windows on a 60 degree day, but the smell lingers.
Horrible. Waste of money. Smells real bad, and I'm not a wuss about that stuff either. A lot of people said "it's not that bad" but man, it really is that bad, it's soooo strong and horrible. I'd be ok with that if it had fixed my hair. Hair is just brassy now, not cool. I guess I would try the Prell shampoo if I were you...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2012 9:29:00 PM More reviews by tshirtmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been dying my dark brown hair with reds and browns for the past 10 years. I do not have a hair color disastster but used it too see if I could get my hair a lighter brown color. It worked as I expected the first time I tried it. It came out a orangish brown and my husband said it was still darker at the bottom. So I used it again an hour later and now it's a prettier redish light brown color. I love it. Just make sure you rinse well sense that's what the directions say to do. I rinsed 20 minutes both times I used it and it is not darker yet. It's been 8 hours and I'm hoping it won't go darker again. I think as long as I rinsed well I should be fine.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2012 8:59:00 PM More reviews by xbloodyhalo

I know a lot of people want to know how this product works on dyed black hair. Get ready for a novel!

I had used this product once before in about 2008 to get red box dye out of my blonde hair. I had dyed it red twice with Garnier 100% Color. I don't remember if I used the regular or extra strength Color Opps. Anyway it worked like a charm and left my hair with no damage.

Fast forward to 2012 and I am in the midst of growing out the Posh Spice bob. I have the back of my head dyed black and a large section in the front dyed black as well. The rest is blonde. I have used Color Silk, Garnier Nutrisse, Garnier 100% Color, and Garnier Ultra-Color. All in various shades of black except for the Ultra-Color where I used Golden Brown in a futile attempt to lighten up the black a bit. So as you can tell I have dyed my hair with black box dye various times since about 2009.

I am currently trying to grow my hair longer and make it all one color. (Blonde.) I haven't dyed it with black since Sept. 2011, so I have about three inches of blonde roots showing. I didn't want to risk the damage of bleach and figured I'd give the Color Opps a shot since it worked so well last time. I bought one box from Walgreens, read the directions carefully, blah blah blah...

I enlisted the help of my husband as I needed help with the back and seperating the blonde from the black. I did not want any Color Opps to touch my root regrowth or anything that was already blonde. He was very meticulous in sectioning everything off. He applied the Color Opps all over the back first, then placed seran wrap over it so no blonde would slide into it. Then he did the front piece and also put seran wrap on it. All in all I had the Color Opps on for about 35 minutes.

I rinsed in the shower with the hottest water I could stand, and shampooed twice. Once with VO5 kiwi clarifying shampoo and once with Dove cool moisture shampoo. About twenty minutes total. Then I applied It's a 10 Miracle Hair Mask all over and got out of the shower. I put the shower cap that came with the Color Opps over my hair and wrapped a towel around that. Let it sit for another 30 minutes and then rinse, rinse, rinse.

I'm not going to lie, my hair was very hard to comb through after I got out of the shower. I had to gently untangle everything with my wide tooth comb. Then I let it air dry. The end result is a light red-brown color which is much darker at my ends. But still much lighter then I started with. Am I all blonde again? No. Can I color over the end resulting color and be all blonde again? No. But hopefully the red with lighten up a bit and I can use Color Opps again in a few weeks. I can live with this color until then.

As for my hair it doesn't look or feel all that damaged. A bit dry. I am going to have my ends trimmed tomorrow just incase. It still reeks of the Color Opps however and so does my bathroom. All in all I would purchase Color Opps again and plan to in the next month or so. Thanks for reading! :) continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No