April 19, 2014 | 1704 users online

Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2011 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Vannedango

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My natural hair is dark blond, on the fine side, but I have lots of it. I have not used a permanent color on it in about 3 years, but have been using semi-permanent color in that time. Recently, I wanted to add some red and chose L'Oreal's Healthy Look 6R Light Reddish Brown. It was waaaayyy too dark for my blond hair. Initially, I washed it with Dawn dishwashing liquid, which lightened my hair only slightly, but it did take out the burgundy hues, which were far too harsh for my coloring. It left a pretty reddish brown, but it definitely wasn't light. Next stop, Color Oops. I didn't have high hopes, but if it significantly faded the color, I would be okay with that. I followed the directions EXACTLY. I left it on for 20 minutes, rinsed it for 20 minutes using the warmest water I could stand, shampooed and rinsed for 5 more minutes. I then applied the rest of the tube of conditioner that came with the L'Oreal Health Look product and left it on for about 5 more minutes before rinsing again. I am completely amazed in the best possible way: there is not a trace or hint of red & I have my original blond back. My hair feels only slightly dry--no more than usual, in fact. I am still dumbstruck that the results were so good. As for the smell, I only detected a small unpleasant smell & it rinsed out. I certainly wouldn't want to go through this process again, mostly because it is scary to not know what the results will be--plus, standing in a hot shower for 20 minutes is draining--but I can wholeheartedly recommend this product. I am so happy with the results!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2011 3:02:00 PM More reviews by ab7182

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hair had been through the ringer. I tried to dye it red months and months ago, then a hairstylist highlighted it wayyy too blonde, so I covered it with an ash color that looked okay for awhile. Last weekend I went to a new hairstylist and she tried to make my hair "ombre" but failed miserably. It was super dark at the top and then blonde from eye level down (not the look I was going for - I asked her to color back to my natural color all over but she said "You won't like it." and convinced me to do ombre - big mistake!!!). Anyways, she tried to fix it with some highlights and made it look worse, then I tried to fix it with an ash blonde color and made it look... meh. So I got Color Oops and followed the directions exactly (because I'd read a million reviews about that). I rinsed the required agonizing 20 minutes. My hair came out looking very brassy blondish red on top, and the rest of it was my regular dark blonde color. The Color Oops box said you can color it again the same day, so I ran to Sally's Beauty Supply and they had me use a neutral blonde color to try to get it back to normal again. After re-dying it, I must have re-activated some of the old dye that I had tried to get rid of with the Color Oops, because the top part is kind of dark again. I can live with it. I don't want my hair to fall out. Overall, it's a good product and got rid of most of my bad color, but it didn't work wonders.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2011 7:19:00 PM More reviews by XenaY

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The smell of this is definitely not for the faint hearted. Everytime I thought the odor was out of the bathroom, my husband or I would turn on the shower and bam, the smell was back! It took several days for the smell to finally disappear.

Anyway, this product definitely does work but the directions aren't kidding you when it says to rinse, rinse and rinse again! Yes, it sucks standing under the shower for so long but you have no other alternative if you want to get rid of the old dye in your hair or if you don't want your hair to turn back into the same shade you were trying to get rid of. Make sure you have a radio playing so you won't be bored out of your mind while you're in the shower.

My hair had turned black after dying it dark brown. The color itself was pretty and shiny but against my pale, pale skin...not a good look. This product removed the black and left me with light red. Again, not a look I desired but so much better than the black. I did redye my hair a light brown and for the first time in a long time, my hair actually looked decent. It took me a long time to realize a product such as Color Oops existed or else I would have used it when my hair first turned black instead of months after the fact.

So, when used correctly, this product is a winner (despite the rank smell).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2011 11:03:00 PM More reviews by VeryCherryBaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was very, very scared to try any product like this because of having an awful hair color disaster in the past, but I wanted to lighten the top portion of my hair. Having previously used a darker red color, I knew I had to strip it out before recoloring to a lighter shade. After reading positive reviews for Color Oops, I took a gamble and tried it. It worked just as it said it would and didn't damage my hair at all. You really do need to rinse it for 20 minutes though to ensure a successful result. I also went back and left conditioner in for20 minutes just to strengthen the hair before adding another application of color. My hair is soft and shiny, not at all brittle like I expected.

I really do recommend this because it worked wonders for me. I will comment on the smell though -- it's not like rotten eggs as I've heard people say; it's more like a super strong perm smell. I can't lie; it stinks. The result is worth it though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2011 8:49:00 AM More reviews by MyraBC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Iced Chocolate color to Medium Blonde - NO PROBLEM!!!!! So my hair is naturally a darker blonde with a lot of red undertones. I have always used various shades of Blonde colors to play with - around Christmas time I decided to try a darker color - fell in LOVE with it. I'm getting married in 2 months and really want to look more like my "natural" self so I decided to try a few different things - each time I was due for a touch up I would go a shade or 2 lighter - this resulted in my roots 1 color, my regrowth from previous colors a different color and my ends just stayed dark........... not so pretty. SOOOO I bought a box of the extra strength Color OOPS - read a lot of the reviews and waited about 4 days til I got the courage up LOL!!!! Soooo last night I decided to try it out. I applied according to the directions - I rinsed for 5 minutes, washed, rinsed for 5 minutes, washed, rinsed for 5 minutes, washed and rinsed for 5 more minutes. My hair felt like straw rinsing it out and I was nervous. I put in conditioner, combed it through and left it for 3-4 minutes before rinsing. THE RESULT: my hair is all one color - brassy-ish, not unbearable, and soooooo soft and healthy looking!!!! I went to bed and am re-coloring with a medium blonde as we speak... and voila! I am THRILLED with the results!!!!!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2011 3:46:00 AM More reviews by Larissa18

Well I came to the conclusion that my hair is green, blonde, brown and black so I decided that color oops was for me I put the product on and started to read the lovely instructions and warnings no one reads and it clearly states that blonde is the only color that it cannot strip.... then I recalled months of trying to go blonde with sad failing attempts.. Well I showed and shampood like 4 or 5 times with pantiene( I had no stinky residue) and I conditioned blow dried n straightned it looking as the horrific yellow gold brassy color appeared.. I was just thinking how am I going to cover this.. well I went to work (i know work looking like that) came back and to my suprise its now a light golden brown and I kinda like it, but infortunatley my bathroom stunk like ass n rotten eggs I had to throw my combaway and had to bleach my counter tops when I got home the whole house was raunchy! So lay down some plastic or something, and I'm also hoping it doesn't get any darker, and my hair is also fairly dry but I have no noticeable damage but I've always had good hair I cut it a lot and its a medium thickness.. I will buy again depending on tomorrow, it better just stay this color :D

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2011 12:21:00 PM More reviews by julieejuicee

My hair is naturally dark brown, almost black...last year I dyed it a lotttt, just burgundy, black, other shades of brown, etc. I used this product last year and my hair turned out a bright orange brassy color, which I expected. Then I dyed over it with medium ash brown to make it light which worked fine, a little patchy but whatever. TODAY I used it again because I dyed it black for awhile and now i'm bored again so I wanted to lighten it up but the color oops didn't work at all? I left it on for the 20min and it just stayed the same color, black. Maybe I got a bad box, but yeah it's weird since it worked before!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/1/2011 2:20:00 PM More reviews by jareed

Sorry so long, I just want to include all my observations for those who have never used this product.
I just used color oops and am writing this review with a heat cap conditioning treatment on my head. I did a test strand and saw that I needed the full 20 mins. I think color fix allows for up to one full hour. Some people have rec to use a brush and mix it in a bowl, but I used the bottle and it worked just fine. I did put my head upsidedown over the tub incase any solution dripped. I rinsed and washed with Suave Clarifying shampoo for 25 mins. You really must read and follow directions to get positive results. My first impressions: MY HAIR STINKS and my color is very uneven from my root regrowth to the rest, it did not blend at all!!! I admit that I have a lot of different colors on my hair (dk brown, highlights, and then red dye last week) but I was not expecting this. I will have to color oops again on my ends. Im so frustrated, I thought this would be a miracle, instead here I sit with stinky hair. I do not think it smells at all like rotten eggs though, its a cross between perm, lemons, and ass. Everytime I turn my perfumed conditioner staurated head, I get a whiff of color oops. It was a bad idea to do this right before July 4th because Im afraid that when I kiss my friends hello, they will definately smell this crap!!! I will need to invest in a cute hat for sure! It did lighten my hair overall. I would strongly reccomend that if u have regrowth, put this stuff on the lighter area last!!! I will update later today or tomorrow if my color returns to the darker shade. Also, I am losing a lot of hair as I recomb the conditioner through my hair!!!!!! It may not be as bad as if I bleached but it is still very damaging.

Edit 1:
I just cleaned my bathroom where I confined myself during the entire color oops duration ( I pushed a towel up against the bottom of the door). My tub was smelling really bad after. I had to use ammonia and just clean everywhere. There is no smell in my house at all (probably because I never left the bathroom). I'm glad I did this when DH wasn't home. I definately would have gotten the usual..."What are you doing to your hair now??" query. I recommend doing this when you are alone and know that it will be an all day project. Im leaving protein conditioner on for a few hours due to the damage to my hair before and after color oops. Maybe if you have damaged hair, its best to sleep in a conditioning cap the night before. I am contemplating putting a red dye on my hair now that I no longer have a dark brown/black color. My original goal was to go from brassy roots/ brown ends to a medium auburn. This does not come with a developer solution like color fix has and I am worried that the color will grab brighter on root area and pull dark on the rest of my hair when I redye. I bought a protein filler from Sallys but that doesn't guarantee even coloring. Im going to wait until tonight and see if there is any drastic color change and then maybe go buy Colorsilk med auburn *sighs* which is the level red I am looking to achieve. If this works, I promise myself no more drastic hair dye projects or experiments!!!

Edit 2:
I just blowdried and the smell is still very strong. I rewashed with Aussie and Garnier Fructis which is very heavily scented and it barely took some of the stench away. I guess this is one of the prices of being an amatuer colorist and messing with too many dyes. The color of my hair is now a weird orange with a green tint (how it that possible????). Its not really uniform at all and Im redying tonight. I just hope it won't turn out worse because my hair cannot take anymore chemicals. This definately isn't for hair that has different layers of hair colors, at least not mine:(
However, until something better is invented, this is a little gentler than bleach and I would buy again...
Edit 3 (last one...)
So, its been about 10 hours and the color is much more uniform. I can barely note a change between my roots and the rest of my head. I now have a lighter orangish auburn color. This is close to what I originally wanted. I still may color with a red to achieve a deeper hue than orange but I am pleasantly surprised. I am planning on deep conditioning with Aveda tonight and toning with purple shampoo. So, lesson learned is that this product will give different results hours later than what you first see after the color oops is washed out, don't freak out like I did. I may update again...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2011 12:06:00 PM More reviews by JesseP83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ok so i spent ours reading peoples reviews and watching videos on this product yesterday. Some people had great results and others didn't. So many people make negative comments and don't even care to fallow the instructions and read what this product is about. It clearly says that it gets rid of color but that doesn't mean it will bring you back to your natural hair color. You have to expect that your hair may go brassy. The product is to prepare your hair for recoloring. Not restore it to your natural hair color if you have spent years and or months dying it different colors.
I wanted to use this product to get the black out of my hair. And it worked 100%. Now i have auburn colored hair and it looks good actually. I did buy a box of hair dye to use after color oops but i find that i don't need it.
I also read that many people woke up the next day with their hair the same color it was before they used color oops. The product tells you to rinse and wash your hair for a certain amount of time for a reason. If you do not get all the product out of your hair then the color molecules that are left in your hair will grow large again and bring the color back. The product shrinks the molecules and helps to wash the color out. So rinse your hair good and for as long as the instructions say.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2011 4:09:00 PM More reviews by fallenjade

After paying $13, having my hair restored perfectly to the previous color, then watching it slowly go back to the ugly color it was before the color oops (not as dark but still very dark and yucky color)... all I can really say is I want my money back, and the time that I wasted doing it.

This stuff worked for me like some sort of disappearing-reappearing ink! It gave the illusion that all was better, when all it did was go from ugly, to my beautiful color i had before the ugly one, and then start turning into a lighter version of the ugly color ...GRRR!!

Now, just to be fair, I did put some deep conditioning creme on my hair afterward. I'm not sure, but I guess I gotta say that theres a chance that it might have had some part in it turning dark again. the stuff was by hollywood beauty. It was called olive chloresteral. Smells awesome, makes your hands like silk, and hair softer. But thats about it. I don't think that it made my hair much softer than my aussie moist conditioner would have.

So color oops, in my opinion, is nothing more than a tease, a waste of time and money, and (dried my hair out in spots) something that causes pointless damage to hair.